Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Helicopters > LMH Helicopter
carona glitching! >

carona glitching!

Notices
LMH Helicopter Discussion of all LMH helicopters both electric and glow.

carona glitching!

Old 04-20-2003, 03:17 AM
My Feedback: (4)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default carona glitching!

ok had my carona for a couple weeks now and it glitches every now and then. the throtel will shut off for about 1 sec at a time! then kick back on, sometimes making me allmost crash lol. then when i land it to check it out i pull the throtel all the way back but the blades keep spining like im giving it a little throtel. i have to grab the blades and stop them from spining and unplug the battery and wait a few seconds plug it back in and its fine. there is no pattern to this problem so im having trouble finding out what is wrong. im thinking the speed controll, it has acted like this from day 1. anyone else heard of this or ran into this problem?
Old 04-23-2003, 02:26 PM
My Feedback: (33)

You have the "Electro Fusion" motor in your corona? I had the same problem. Is it burning hot after you have run for a while? I just changed to a RC car touring motor and it runs very cool in comparison. I melted my "Electro Fusion Meltdown". The endbell literally melted and dripped down the side.
Since I changed motors it has not shut off, so this leads me to believe it is the controller shutting down from overheating with the "Chernobyl" Fusion motor. Touring motors are pretty cheap. Mine was $20.
Just something to think about.
Old 04-23-2003, 09:22 PM

I might try that! i didnt happen to check the motor when it was acting up to see if it was hot or not. but i have noticed how hot it gets even on a cool day like yesterday it was about 50 deg and it still get prety hot just runing 1 battery pack. but also all of a sudden it stoped glitching lol. i have flown 5 or 6 packs through it with no problems i just got it so i wonder if that motor kinda needed to break in. its strange but the next time it acts up i will switch motors for sure i got some laying around anyway. thanks
Old 04-28-2003, 10:20 AM

oosel,

Be warned. I had exactly the symptoms you describe and on the very next "flight" my EF ESC melted completely (solder dripping off it). As soon as some of the IC's had detached from the circuit board the motor went to full power (uncontrollable) and there was no power to the servos from the BEC. So I had a full power, totally uncontrollable Corona. It climbed to about 100ft before things burnt out completely, it stopped and fell to earth. Since then I've heard of several other people having something very similar happen. It seems that a common feature of this are 4-4 grips, 8 cell batteries, EF controller, EF motor. The common "fix" is to dump the EF motor and replace it with a Kyosho Atomic Force motor ($20 from Tower).

Cliff
Old 04-28-2003, 04:04 PM
My Feedback: (33)

That makes me feel good about changing motors. Luckily the melting in my situation happened at the "Fusion Reactor" motor. Like I said, the end bell literaly Slid off of the motor. I am not running an atomic force though. I am running a Trinity Green Machine Pro.
Old 04-29-2003, 12:36 AM

would it be ok to run a speed gem 14 turn double? or wont the stock speed controll handle it?
Old 04-29-2003, 10:10 AM

oosel,

If you read all the threads you'll find that loads of different "buggy" motors have been tried in the Corona but its that $20 Atomic Force that everyone ends up concluding is the best brushed replacement for the stock motor.

I think you'll find that if you go for motors with other winds (so the Kv isn't around 3,000) then you wil need to start experimenting with different pinion sizes and can't just use the standard 9 tooth pinion (which you can if using the AF motor).

Cliff
Old 04-30-2003, 12:16 AM

ok thanks, i will just order the Atomic Force and save myself the trouble.
Old 05-18-2003, 05:09 PM

well i ran the Atomic Force for about a week and loved it. but if quit working properly i got all the way down to a 1 min flight time lol. something must have went wrong in the motor somewhere i rebuilt it and no change at all. so i bought a trinity monster pro and i like it to. it stays cool and flight time seems good. it was to windy today to time a flight but i got about 6 min or more out of it, with great performance.