Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Helicopters > LMH Helicopter
Reload this Page >

LMH Vmax 7 engine

Community
Search
Notices
LMH Helicopter Discussion of all LMH helicopters both electric and glow.

LMH Vmax 7 engine

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2003, 03:37 AM
darthdrk

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LMH Vmax 7 engine

There is no way that I can tell, I heard from Litemachines that there was some that went out with this flaw. Im sure its not Litemachines fault. It probably wasnt noticed until people started having the problem.
Old 05-22-2003, 02:53 AM
darthdrk

Ok, guys, hopefully Im out of danger by now. I put at least about six tanks through the heli today, so, Im up to about 11 1/2 tanks of fuel through the Vmax7 and no "clink" yet. Smile is getting bigger on me mug still running five washers under the head with 15% wildcat. So far, so good.
Old 05-22-2003, 02:54 AM
Spiro

How is the power with 5 washers and 15%?

Spiro
Old 05-22-2003, 03:33 AM
darthdrk

I have plenty of power much to spare.
Old 05-23-2003, 02:22 AM
10karer
My Feedback: (2)

Ok Guys

The Offical Word is that during the production of the piston/conrod they "Coin" the sides of the piston, which means they put two indentions in the piston to hold the conrod in place. This is not being done properly at the factory the con rod floats and catches in one of the transfer ports seizing the engine and braking the con rod.
Old 05-23-2003, 02:36 AM
fastlash
My Feedback: (7)

Default Offical word

Hey 10ker where did you get the offical word from? a wrist pin can catch a port but a Rod no way!!
Old 05-23-2003, 04:07 AM
darthdrk

If the wrist pin catches a port, it stands to reason the rod will break because of the somewhat jam that would occur when the pin get snagged. Ive actually had one engine when pushing the piston head all the way down, there were two grooves created by the wrist pin on the inside of the cylinder wall. On the second engine I dont know why it broke, couldnt see any marks on the cylinder wall, mabey it got caught under the sleeve. So far, Ive been doing ok with the latest engine I ran about four more tanks through it again today, so, that puts me at about fifteen and a half tanks. If it aint broken in yet , Its never going to get broken in. Been flying really good. so far no problems. Getting my big grin back
Old 05-23-2003, 02:37 PM
fastlash

Default Rod

Thats 100% right darth only the pin can catch the port and snap a rod, I think Ihave been lucky so far and the STAKED pin has held up in mine, (so far) I think I might check into makeing some teflon wrist pin buttons if the problem crops up in one of mine. glad to see that it is working out for you this time,
Old 05-24-2003, 07:08 PM
10karer

Sorry Guys

I ment the pin is catching one of the transferports

Tink
Old 06-03-2003, 01:42 AM
Spiro

What kind of run times are you Vmax7 guys getting on the stock tank? Anybody using a different tank?

Spiro
Old 06-03-2003, 02:13 AM
darthdrk

Im using a two ounce tank (not stock) and Im getting about 7-9 min hover time. thats with my bell222 fuselage installed.
Old 06-05-2003, 10:41 PM
10karer

Hey Guys

Just Got engine #6 Wont be able to fly for about a month but then I'll let you know what happens
Old 06-11-2003, 03:33 PM
Spiro

Darth,

I believe you have mentioned that you have gone back and forth a couple of times between the Vmax6 and the Vmax7 for various reasons (spare motor swap, testing performance of fuselages with both engines, waiting for replacement Vmax7).

I was wondering if you swapped back and forth on the same crutch. If so, how did you do this? I would like to modify my crutch to accept the Vmax7 but it would be nice to still be able to bolt on the Vmax6.

Any thoughts? Thanks in advance,
Spiro
Old 06-11-2003, 05:50 PM
darthdrk

Spiro, youre on to something. Ive bolted and unbolted from the same crutch but will look into making a mod.
Old 06-11-2003, 06:59 PM
notasme

Darthdrk,

Have you tried making the glow plug adapter as I suggested?

If you send me an old vmax 7 plug I can make one for you.
Old 06-11-2003, 07:33 PM
Spiro

Darth,

So are you saying that both engines will bolt up to the same crutch and can be swapped back and forth on that same crutch? Or did you bolt a Vmax6 engine to your dedicated Vmax6 crutch and a Vmax7 engine to a second dedicated Vmax7 crutch?

Jeff
Old 06-11-2003, 09:52 PM
darthdrk

Spiro, I did it. I would say the only thing you have to be aware of is that the hole pattern for the V7 is a little wider. So , you will have to take care in centering the V6 engine making sure you have a good maingear and clutch bell pinion mesh. Besides that,
Whoooohooo!!!. Im almost finished with my electric conversion. Im on some down time with my gas setup because i wore out the clutch shoe and clutch bell. Waiting for some parts. Gotta run go ship some heli bodies.
Old 06-13-2003, 02:16 AM
10karer

hey guys

new engine runs very well 1/2 qt. of fuel and still running smile returning slight giggle

tink
Old 06-13-2003, 02:52 PM
darthdrk

i got just about a gallon through my V7 and about to bust a gut. Its great when you got a engine that holds up.
Old 06-19-2003, 12:59 AM
Spiro

I am in the break in process for my first and only Vmax7. So far I have two tanks through the engine and am simply amazed. After a thorough preparation, I started running the engine as recommended: 15% Norvel fuel, 6 washers, 2 minute rich lean cycles, full throttle with the skids weighted down.

I put my normal two bricks on the skids and opened up the throttle. With the engine running rich it started to shift ominously around and lift off! I had to stop and get heavier bricks. Do you realize the significance of this statement? BRICKS man, I had to get HEAVIER BRICKS. The first set of bricks proved INSUFICIENT! I was awe struck.

Just incase there is any question about what we are talking about here, I have attached some photos. The Vmax7, during break in and running rich, proved too manly for the bricks on the left. The bricks on the right held things under control, but the plastic landing skids were flexing with some serious protest. That is the Vmax6 in the foreground for reference.

Once I had some beefy enough BRICKS for the job, (wow), I fired it back up and put tach under the blades. My ears were not deceiving me, I was getting near 2200 rpm at the head! Manufacturers instructions or not I could not comfortably let the engine run wide open during the break in process at %110 speed. I throttled back for the remainder of two tanks and called it a night as things were getting dark.

I am going to take the engine off and check out the rod for any wear. So far so good. If this performance keeps up my jaw is going to hit the pavement that first flight.

Bricks man! Bricks!

Spiro
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	87662_33180.jpg
Views:	109
Size:	56.6 KB
ID:	46218  
Old 06-19-2003, 01:38 AM
darthdrk

I like your last post Spiro, gotta good laugh about the bricks. i was saying all along the V7 has some really good power. Youre gonna get a kick out of it. i hope you dont throw a rod. You definitely dont have to worry about the heli being under powered thats for sure. Im on some down time waiting on a clutch bell and shoes. I litterally wore them out . The V7 breathes a breath of new life in the LMH. Its all fun and games now.
Old 06-22-2003, 02:57 AM
Spiro

Default Plick!

I now know the exact sound a heart makes when it breaks. I would have never thought it would be so tiny and pathetic.

My con rod went on the 4th tank of fuel while breaking things in. The engine just stopped cold and the blades spun down along with all of my hopes and dreams. I must admit this makes me pretty sad and rather leery of the whole Vmax7 business. It seemed that the “bad” engines had been mostly found out and the newer engines and replacements were running strong. Now I am once again unable to fly. The lure of electrics is growing stronger.

Spiro

“Not with a bang but a whimper.” T.S. Eliot
http://www.cs.umbc.edu/~evans/hollow.html
Old 06-22-2003, 04:03 AM
darthdrk

Call LiteMachines and send it back. So far on the LMH BBS one of the most talked about problems is the V7 con rod. The attention that it has been getting Im sure hasent been good for sales im sure. hate to hear that its still going on. One of these days there will come along an engine thats more reliable. Its appearant that its an obvious QC problem that it will be hard to ignore. Ive noticed that the bad engines usually have been throwing rods at about 4-8 tanks of gas. What I hate the most is the downtime waiting on replacement. Im like you Spiro, the electric seemingly is calling. Ive started one and got one going I need to get a better battery that my esc would like. so far Im reading that the stock motor and esc likes the 2400 7 cell pack. Hopefully I can aquire one soon.
Old 06-23-2003, 04:48 AM
Spiro

Default Pics

If anyone would like to take a close look, I took a few hires pics of my engine post rod failure. The .jpg files have been zipped into a single 5MB file found at:

http://www.public.iastate.edu/~spiro...RodFailure.zip

For what it is worth, (squat at this point)
Spiro
Old 06-23-2003, 04:51 PM
fastlash

Default Way to long to open

Can you post a pic, these take forever on a dail up, Iam very interested, especially cause I think Norvel is wrong on there break-in proceeder, Thanks Fastlash

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.