RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   LMH Helicopter (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/lmh-helicopter-216/)
-   -   LMH 110 wont start **HELP** (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/lmh-helicopter-216/2639318-lmh-110-wont-start-%2A%2Ahelp%2A%2A.html)

mastero 02-09-2005 03:57 PM

LMH 110 wont start **HELP**

Hello friends..

I am newbie to this forum and to Helicopters .. got a LMH110 from USA got a good deal on it, I live in India. so much for the introduction.

PROBLEM:-

First i dont get fuels here so i have to make my own i have mixed 80% Methenol and 20% Castor Oil

and tried to start the engine but it just would not start the glow plug is bright orange say the top half glows but the bottom have does not glow.

engine pops but does not start should i add nitromethene to the fule mixture i can get my hands on it if yes how much in %

I was worried of damaging any part of the heli so i removed the main wheel (the big black wheel ) before starting the engine.

tried adjusting the needle but in vain

any suggestions would be nice. Thanks in advance

Cheers

Mastero

banks04 02-09-2005 08:36 PM

RE: LMH 110 wont start **HELP**

I use a mixture of 20% nitro but thats what i buy over here in the states.U should have at least 15% up to 30%.TO bad ya cant just buy it already mixed like we can.Hope this helps;)

EPHeliFan 02-09-2005 09:12 PM

I would have never thought of making my own fuel but here is what I have:

Helimix is available in 10%, 15%, 20%, and 30% Nitro formula. Helimix is the premier fuel for R/C helicopters designed to produce maximum power and cooling in the harsh environment of heli flying. Helimix contains 18% oil content and is total synthetic. Helimix was desinged as a competition fuel with the aid of competition pilots. Their request was for a fuel that smoked less, made more power, superior mid-range transition, lower heat penalities, and smelled good. Lets look at each of these requests.

I use the 30% at 1045 ft. above sea level.

mastero 02-10-2005 02:20 AM

Thanx guys will try with 20% Nitro 20% castor and 60% Methenol see how it goes .... will post results later

Mastero

mastero 02-10-2005 02:46 PM

Hmmm still wont start any ideas please ..

Mastero

flyinrog 02-10-2005 08:30 PM

If you do get it started make sure you dont over rev it since its not hooked to the gears,you'd be safer with the gear back on...Rog

Derek8819 02-10-2005 09:07 PM

Are you using the high speed starter from LMH? I could not get mine to start with the polarity like it came. (IE: red to red and black to black). BUT! As soon as i reversed the polarity it starts like instantly. I dont know if the guy that put it together put the wrong clips on the wrong wires or what, but thats how mine is. It will not start at all hooked up right.

mastero 02-11-2005 03:30 PM

The starter is the Blue one from LITE.

Its polarity is fine it spins anti clockwise as it supposed to spin as per the manual.

I feel its the Glow plug that is bad as it glows orange but when i put little fuel on the glow it just sizzles and the glow is gone .. the glow wont stay on even if the battery is connected to the glow ... shall call for more glow plugs from US .. and check ..! as i only got one :(

Lets hope

Derek8819 02-12-2005 01:32 AM

If your running your starter and glow clip off the same battery make sure when the starter is drawing power from the battery that there is enough to still run the clip. Get me?

rcsoar4fun 02-12-2005 10:01 AM

Have you checked the lite machines website for the instruction manual? www.litemachines.com

It has some initial setup instructions on the motor, like needle valve settings. These must be in the ball park before it will start.

Next, are you sure the engine is getting fuel? After trying to turn it over a few times upscrew the head and look at the piston. It should have fuel on top of it.

How hot is the glow plug getting? It should be fairly bright. If it quickly cools off with a little fuel on it than it is not hot enough. Make sure the battery you are using is fully charged.

How far open is the throttle? As I recall it sometimes required a little more open than I would have expected.

Put the big wheel back on. If the engine does not have something to slow it down it will quickly destroy itself.

Kristopher

The motor will start with a slower starter, but the high speed one is a whole lot easier.

EPHeliFan 02-12-2005 09:30 PM

For my local conditions and trying to flying in 50 degree weather, I had to use 5 washers under the glow plug.

mastero 02-27-2005 11:12 AM

Hmmm new problem when i remove the glow plug charger the engine shuts off ..?? any help ?

Mastero

Derek8819 02-27-2005 11:48 AM

thats simple... bad glow plug.

Johnny C! 04-08-2005 01:52 PM

mastero,
I am not an expert on engines, or even heli's, but in
your opening comments you mentioned that you disconnected
the gears from the engine. Is that what you meant? If so, any
combustion engine will require some sort of fly wheel mass to
assist it moving through the non-combustion portion of their cycle.
Could this be part of your problem?
Just a thought...

Johnny C!

KLRico 04-11-2005 12:55 AM

It's a good point, but the engine still should idle... It does idle afterall when the rotor is stopped and the clutch is disengaged.

I'd also suspect a glow plug, or too much compression.

mastero 04-16-2005 07:52 AM

Problem solved was the glow plugs ...:)

Mastero

lawrencelkl 10-28-2005 11:17 AM

hi, i have problem starting a Vmax 6 engine on my LMH 100+ , i was using normal aeroplane starter . i can start the engine but very difficult and have to keep trying, is it because of the starter ( that i need high speed micro starter) or is it engine settings? thanks.

lawrencelkl 11-21-2005 06:31 AM

Problem solved here as well, no problem at all with normal aero starter. as long as u have correct engine settings and right fuel and heating.
thansk all.

Lawrence

mice1m 04-27-2011 02:22 AM

Johnny c is right

Take off the alloy starter cone and replace it with a heaver one

Engine has not enough flywheel weight''

Thats it !!!! it will run great'

mice1m 04-27-2011 02:30 AM

I used a brass pinion gear from a mechano set.now i flick start it between my fingers
The norvel has heaps of compression and power ...starts easy runs great...more flywheel weight !!!!!!!

Jolly Roger 09-02-2011 06:55 AM

The brass spinner is a brilliant idea. I am going to get started on mine this weekend.

What nitro content do you guys find works the best? I am in the LA area at 600' elevation am using some Norvel 15 fuel I got a while back. (I would like to have gone through this fuel but I can't keep the darn engine running long enough to burn it ;^)

Thank you in advance for your help.

Mike