RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   LMH Helicopter (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/lmh-helicopter-216/)
-   -   3 second hover (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/lmh-helicopter-216/8668897-3-second-hover.html)

bensidus197217 04-10-2009 06:38 PM

3 second hover

I did a 3 second hover!!!!!! For me that's great.I tried to make a co-pilot work but I must be doing something wrong so I took it off.So anyway after my great hover I noticed the tail rotor was twisting around so being the smart guy I am I drilled a hole and threaded a screw into the forward end of the tube.Now it goes wrong! I tried to drill the tail end and of course slipped and drilled right into the tail wire,now its broken again and back on the shelf.Anybody have any Corona 120 parts they want to sell?

TIA 04-10-2009 07:18 PM

RE: 3 second hover

Buy the same size piano wire from a hobby shop, take the plastic gear off the old wire, glue onto the new wire, re-insert, you're back in business!

bensidus197217 04-10-2009 07:56 PM

So how do I get the gear off the wire without damaging the gear? Thanks for the info and I hope I don't screw it up

TIA 04-11-2009 12:10 AM

I think I just closed the vise enough to let the wire fall through and tapped on the wire with a hammer and with the gear resting on top of the vise.

darthdrk 04-11-2009 10:06 AM

Practically its almost impossible to fix this. I have had this happen to me a couple times before. The end of the wire thats in the plastic isnt smooth. It has like splines on the end. Sticking another wire in the end may last a few flights . Mabey getting some CA glue in there may help.

TIA 04-11-2009 11:09 AM

Mine have never had splines but yes I did rough up the area where the gear sits and hit it with a drop of CA. Fairly simple fix.

bensidus197217 04-11-2009 01:20 PM

OK I tried to put it in a vise and knock it out but no go. So I applied a little heat to the shaft and pulled it out then.Once I got the shaft out I found that my wire has an "s" shaped bend where it is molded into the gear. There is no way I can place it back in the same way because for one thing the existing hole was damaged when I took it apart. So my next step is to #1 order new ones #2 place the gear in my lathe bore a 3/16 hole in the centre.Once that has been done I will make A jig to place the gear in to hold it centred then bore a 1/16 hole in the centre of my jig to feed the wire through. I will then bore a hole through the side and centre of the gear about 1/8 inch. At this point I will make my own "s" bend in my piano wire and place it in my jig then place the gear over my wire and into my jig. I will then mix some resin and ground up fibreglass cloth and force it into my gear filling all holes and air spaces then let it dry. One thing I didn't mention was to pam or vegtable spray the jig I mean soak it before applying any fibreglass resin.That should work but when you consider it's 6 bucks to buy a new drive wire I think that is a better way to go but you know I'm still going to try my repair idea just for fun.

TIA 04-11-2009 02:30 PM

1 Attachment(s)
That's really strange. I wonder if they are making them differently or an aftermarket company has taken over the business or something? Mind you I have old stock, but here is a picture of a new one I have and parts to one I have taken aprt.

bensidus197217 04-11-2009 04:04 PM

I think mine must be the newer one,it has the purple anodized crutch and really is a neat rig. The shaft you have in the picture would likely strip the inner gear bore if you hit it right,but at least you can repair it.Maybe that's why they make them like mine so they are basically toast once you wreck them. I also made a new wide aluminum landing gear with the battery pack low slung beneath the main rotor shaft seems to make all operations more stable. Mind you it may eat up my battery pack faster and if so I have landing gear from a Kalt 60 I can retro fit to my Corona. Another company has bought all Lite Machines old molds and will be selling them soon,they are similar to the old Lite Machines.You can find the name of the company on another thread about Lite Machine parts.Sorry I don't remember the name of the company but the will only be selling to hobby retailers.

Flypaper 2 04-12-2009 09:10 PM

Yep, Multiplex bought out LMH. Best thing that ever happened. Mine is on order at the local hobby shop. I still fly an old 13 yr. old LMH 100 regularly. Motor is a Himax and the main gear is from a Hurricane 550. I have it trained to do loops and rolls.:D

bensidus197217 04-12-2009 10:01 PM

I may be get one too,I will have to check with my local dealer to see if he will sell them