Community
Search
Notices
Losi Monster Trucks Discuss all Losi Monster Trucks (i.e. LST) in this forum. Optionally you may discuss this and all other MT's in our general MT forum.

Dynamite "Truggy" .26 Mach 2

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2011, 08:49 AM
supertib

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Dynamite

ORIGINAL: savagecommander

ORIGINAL: HerrSavage

ORIGINAL: supertib

On a engine as low powered as a Mach 427 a 7 mm carb is more then enough.... I doubt going to a 9 mm will make any more power, in fact it may lose a little power.........

one of the first mods i did (back in 01 id have to say) was drilled out the carb. i dont remember what size i went to but i remember having to take the low speed needle assembly out so it didnt get chewd up. yes, there was a marked increase in top end. I find it hard to believe a 7mm venturi is enough for an engine anything larger than .18- thats a TINY hole. (now dont go off the deep end about it)

ive also picked up top end by switching plug range, and brands for that matter. maybe that has something to do with it.
I wont go off the deep end LOL... I know what works and what doesn't work..if you guys choose to not take my word on things then its no bother to me ! 7 mm is all you need on a engine like a Mach .....dyno doesn't lie about these things..it cannot be fooled ...
Old 01-29-2011, 09:28 AM
HerrSavage

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Old 02-26-2011, 07:48 PM
SavagedXXL

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Can anyone here confirm the carb size onthis Mach 2 .26? The old M26 Mach .26's, thegold head Mach 427's and the Mach .26SS all have the 7mm carb, but the teal head 427 has the 8.5mm carb, and it is a whole different animal than the others. These engines definitely benefit from the larger carb. I can't seem to find a definitive answer as to which variety the Mach 2 .26 is. Thanks for any help!

Old 02-27-2011, 07:54 AM
ntrain42

I personally don't know why people think $140-$160 for a dynamite engine is a bargain, but yet arent willing to spend an extra $10-20 bucks for a Picco .28 which can be had for about $165 shipped through Tower Hobbies.
Old 02-27-2011, 08:48 AM
HerrSavage

I would also be interested to know more about the new Mach - if it's identical to the teal Mach or if it's just a rebadged, recolored SW 26. I love my teal Machs and would have another.
Old 02-27-2011, 08:37 PM
SavagedXXL

ORIGINAL: ntrain42

I personally don't know why people think $140-$160 for a dynamite engine is a bargain, but yet arent willing to spend an extra $10-20 bucks for a Picco .28 which can be had for about $165 shippedthrough Tower Hobbies.
Its more familiarity than anything, and I'm keeping 4 trucks going (2 for myself, and 2 more for my kids). I've been running Mach's for about 7 years or so, and I have gotten great performance, durability, and most importantly - especially for my kid's trucks - tunability. I like that I can crank them up, maybe make a small adjustment, and they can play all day without me having to work on them all day.A guy we bash with had a Picco .26 a few years ago, and it was good engine, but it wasn't as strong as the teal Mach 427's, but I've heard that the .28 P3 is a monster, and I'd like to try one. I'm running a LRP Z.28R in one of trucks right now, and its king of our group right now. I want to try a modded engine next time for one of my trucks, and it will most likely be a Picco.
Old 02-27-2011, 09:39 PM
dzchey21

ORIGINAL: SavagedXXL

I personally don't know why people think $140-$160 for a dynamite engine is a bargain, but yet arent willing to spend an extra $10-20 bucks for a Picco .28 which can be had for about $165 shipped through Tower Hobbies.
Its more familiarity than anything, and I'm keeping 4 trucks going (2 for myself, and 2 more for my kids). I've been running Mach's for about 7 years or so, and I have gotten great performance, durability, and most importantly - especially for my kid's trucks - tunability. I like that I can crank them up, maybe make a small adjustment, and they can play all day without me having to work on them all day. A guy we bash with had a Picco .26 a few years ago, and it was good engine, but it wasn't as strong as the teal Mach 427's, but I've heard that the .28 P3 is a monster, and I'd like to try one. I'm running a LRP Z.28R in one of trucks right now, and its king of our group right now. I want to try a modded engine next time for one of my trucks, and it will most likely be a Picco.
I am going from a z28 to a picco .28 right now ill let you know how the power compares, i agree the z28r makes good power for sure, but i had some issues with it wanting to idle up after a couple hard runs, from which i understand is an uninsulated carb, anyway i dont want to start a pissing match over the deal, but i will honestly let you know how the power is, Im sure its gunna be good. Also my other complaint with the LRP was the fuel economy, not as bad as an MGT 8.0 truck but nothing near what a 4.6 or 5.9 HPI does. (4.6 being the better and suprisingly more powerful engine of the two) It will be a stock picco not a clocked engine for the time being. I do know what you are talking about being the top of the heap with the z28 as my truck out runs all of my friends at the moment.

FWIW i picked the PICCO up on towerhobbies for 174 shipped to my door, cheapest i could find a new LRP even on flee bay was 165 shipped so i thought it was a pretty good deal to know that i was getting a quaility engine, not that i wasnt impressed with the LRP, if it didnt eat dirt im sure i would still be running it now.
Old 02-28-2011, 07:01 AM
ntrain42

I personally don't know why people think $140-$160 for a dynamite engine is a bargain, but yet arent willing to spend an extra $10-20 bucks for a Picco .28 which can be had for about $165 shippedthrough Tower Hobbies.
Its more familiarity than anything, and I'm keeping 4 trucks going (2 for myself, and 2 more for my kids). I've been running Mach's for about 7 years or so, and I have gotten great performance, durability, and most importantly - especially for my kid's trucks - tunability. I like that I can crank them up, maybe make a small adjustment, and they can play all day without me having to work on them all day.A guy we bash with had a Picco .26 a few years ago, and it was good engine, but it wasn't as strong as the teal Mach 427's, but I've heard that the .28 P3 is a monster, and I'd like to try one. I'm running a LRP Z.28R in one of trucks right now, and its king of our group right now. I want to try a modded engine next time for one of my trucks, and it will most likely be a Picco.
I run 3 engines for my basher. A lightly modded 454(LRP .28 3 spec), an LRP .30X and a Picco .28. They all have slightly different tuning characteristics, but the Picco is the closest to "set and forget" of the 3. It stays dialed in at the widest range of outside temps and humidity, and surprisingly I get the longest run times out of it by at LEAST a few minutes consistently. Its also insanely powerful. Especially off the throttle. My LRP .30X has a bit more midrange grunt, but the Picco .28 from bottom to top is the best performer for the money. Try one, get familiar with it, and once you have it tuned correctly you probably wont waste anymore time with those "Mach" engines.
Old 02-28-2011, 07:50 AM
HerrSavage

Nevertheless, this is a Mach thread. Not a Picco one...

So anybody with info on the new Mach please share..
Old 02-28-2011, 08:09 AM
ntrain42

Nevertheless, this is a Mach thread. Not a Picco one...

So anybody with info on the new Mach please share..
This is an "inquiry" thread. And people are giving their opinions. The Mach engines aren't very durable overall(people here locally go throughthe pull starters quicklyand have had alot of front bearing seal leaks)nor are they great tuning mills. Id spend the few extra bucks for a quality mill.
Old 02-28-2011, 08:24 AM
HerrSavage

That's total bull.

You and your friends don't know how to tune then. And if you can't tune a Mach, you can't tune anything..

I have a ten+ gallon old teal Mach in my DM-1 right now. Ran it on the weekend.. Have raced it in two different truggies and a buggy, had it in my Muggy, and it's now in my DM-1, purring like a kitten. Bought it cheap new from somebody making their Muggy brushless. For peanuts..

I had the orange RTR Mach out of my first LST2 in my Savage, sold that(at a good 5-7 gallons), and the guy who got it was thrilled with how it ran..

I have a newer teal Mach in my racer LST2, and it goes great. Tunes dead easy, and has all the power you could ever need on a track.

Best engine I've had - whether for buggy, truggy, MT, or Ofna Dm-1 onroad(OK, can't really compare there, cuz so far it's the only engine I've had in the DM-1, which is new..) Bashing or racing..

Have never had tuning issues with any of them, replaced a bearing or rod, or anything else.

The key to SH engines IMO is an OS A5 plug, and keeping temps on the low side. They tune great(why would I want a poorly tuning engine?...), are cheap, and have great power for the money...

My two SW 26's were not quite as good - though maybe screamed a bit higher on top-end.. But both didn't last as long, and were generally finickier to tune.

A teal Mach though... Great engine for the money..
Old 02-28-2011, 08:33 AM
HerrSavage

Here's the same Mach I now have in my DM-1 in my RC8 buggy, about 2 1/2 years ago... I have never replaced ANYTHING on this engine - except putting on the closed backplate....

http://s166.photobucket.com/albums/u...t=MOV06403.mp4

Musta' had a good 4-6 gallons on it at that stage...
Old 02-28-2011, 08:48 AM
ntrain42

That's total bull.

You and your friends don't know how to tune then. And if you can't tune a Mach, you can't tune anything..

I have a ten+ gallon old teal Mach in my DM-1 right now. Ran it on the weekend.. Have raced it in two different truggies and a buggy, had it in my Muggy, and it's now in my DM-1, purring like a kitten. Bought it cheap new from somebody making their Muggy brushless. For peanuts..

I had the orange RTR Mach out of my first LST2 in my Savage, sold that(at a good 5-7 gallons), and the guy who got it was thrilled with how it ran..

I have a newer teal Mach in my racer LST2, and it goes great. Tunes dead easy, and has all the power you could ever need on a track.

Best engine I've had - whether for buggy, truggy, MT, or Ofna Dm-1 onroad(OK, can't really compare there, cuz so far it's the only engine I've had in the DM-1, which is new..) Bashing or racing..

Have never had tuning issues with any of them, replaced a bearing or rod, or anything else.

The key to SH engines IMO is an OS A5 plug, and keeping temps on the low side. They tune great(why would I want a poorly tuning engine?...), are cheap, and have great power for the money...

My two SW 26's were not quite as good - though maybe screamed a bit higher on top-end.. But both didn't last as long, and were generally finickier to tune.

There is a difference between tuning to "run"(easy) and tuning for performance. Mach engines dont tune for performance.

Mach engines are cheap, but for a few bucks more you can go from "cheap and easy" to still cheap with PERFORMANCE. And no I dont think they are durable grinds. There are loads of people who run em locally in the nitro classes and every weekend there is always someone having an issue with one of these mills. Better off grabbing a take off 454 from Ebay if CHEAP is what your looking for. Better off still scrounging up an extra 20 spot and stepping up to the plate for a Picco,Nova or even large boreLRP.
Old 02-28-2011, 09:25 AM
dzchey21

That's total bull.

Just because you are the king of cheap doesnt mean thats how everyone else needs to run their R/Cs there is nothing cheap about this hobby, so why cut corners all the time? im all for saving a buck or two but you seam to take it to the next level sometimes when i dont think thats what people are REALLY after. No offense im just calling it like i see it, im here to learn just like everyone else but sometimes your attitude sucks.

I may be new to THIS forum, but im not new to forums or internet attitudes and yours sucks when it comes to PICCO engines, i have done some learking, and reading and it seams that any time a picco is involved you are right there to bash on the price or this and that when from what i have read you have never ran one.

I simply replied to a guy that i was switching from an LRP to a picco so i might be able to give some feedback, and then ntrain had feed back on the two engines he inquired about... no where did it turn into a "picco" thread, just simply people posting and giving feedback... afterall thats what we are all here for, and then YOU make it all about the engines YOU have tuned and blah blah its gets fukin old to read bro.

And i know that you will have some long winded response to this, you might as well save your time, i get what you are doing, all im saying is post your opinion and get out, there was no reason this thread needed to turn the way it did untill you posted what you did.
Old 02-28-2011, 11:06 AM
HerrSavage

Have I said ANYTHING negative about Picco engines here?

[X(]

Show me...

No, I stood up for what I believe to be a great engine, in a thread about that engine btw.., which other people are calling crap...

My attitude sucks because I like the engine I've had good experiences with?.. Nice...

(Not like l'm an exception either.. They, like LRP's - the Mach's bigger SH brother, are not as popular as they are without reason...)

Open your eyes for a sec and see who's junking up this Losi forum with Traxxas-style trash-talking.. Not me..
Old 02-28-2011, 05:03 PM
SavagedXXL

I keep hearing about $165 Picco's, but Tower, Ebay, and everywhere else I've seen is $200 and up by the time shipping is included. We run our trucks a lot, and I've been able to buy new take off teal head 427's for $100 on ebay, With a little porting, they will scream for what they are. In fact out the box, the teal head 427 has more top end than 454, and will outrun a lot of bigger engines. They are cheap engine, but they perform pretty good, and last a long time. As I said, I plan on trying a Picco .28. I've heard nothing but good things about them, but I can't justify buying them at $200 a pop for all 4 trucks.
Old 02-28-2011, 06:06 PM
dzchey21

I keep hearing about $165 Picco's, but Tower, Ebay, and everywhere else I've seen is $200 and up by the time shipping is included. We run our trucks a lot, and I've been able to buy new take off teal head 427's for $100 on ebay, With a little porting, they will scream for what they are. In fact out the box, the teal head 427 has more top end than 454, and will outrun a lot of bigger engines. They are cheap engine, but they perform pretty good, and last a long time. As I said, I plan on trying a Picco .28. I've heard nothing but good things about them, but I can't justify buying them at $200 a pop for all 4 trucks.
If you buy one today you can get it for 175 because they have a 25 dollar off cupon when you spend 199 dollars or more, and free shipping.

And thats fine on your engines there is nothing wrong with the 454, and im not trying to push you either way im just stating what I paid for mine.

You have to buy today to get that price though, the cupon is only valid till midnight.
Old 02-28-2011, 06:37 PM
ntrain42

You need the coupon code to get a Picco for $165 from tower. Tower ships all items over $99 for free as well. This was all explained before.
Old 02-28-2011, 06:38 PM
ntrain42

ORIGINAL: dzchey21

If you buy one today you can get it for 175 because they have a 25 dollar off cupon when you spend 199 dollars or more, and free shipping.

And thats fine on your engines there is nothing wrong with the 454, and im not trying to push you either way im just stating what I paid for mine.

You have to buy today to get that price though, the cupon is only valid till midnight.
If your a Tower Saver member there is actually a $35 off coupon. And with Tower they run these sales all the time. One will end tonight, they will wait a day then repost the "sale". Better off just being a Saver member. Because the always send you out literally unlimited 20% off coupons for buying stuff.