Community
Search
Notices
Losi Monster Trucks Discuss all Losi Monster Trucks (i.e. LST) in this forum. Optionally you may discuss this and all other MT's in our general MT forum.

Just bought a nice LST2!

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2011, 08:38 AM
cummins driver
My Feedback: (31)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Just bought a nice LST2!

Well good. Get out and go run that thing lol
Old 05-21-2011, 09:53 AM
1QwkSport2.5r

Received 76 Likes on 69 Posts

ORIGINAL: cummins driver

Well at times it seems weird to me. Sometimes it kinda gets the jitters going into 2nd gear. lol It only does it at times though. Kinda like it cant decide wether to stay in 1st or go to 2nd. If you take it easy on the throttle though it has a real crisp shift so i figured everything must be right with it and that maybe it just doesent shift as smooth if you are in and out of the throttle or the truck is spinning a little or something?

Well its Friday, so today after work im gonna go have a little fun with it i hope
Both of my LST2's get "jittery" sometimes when shifting. I think its a combination of the springs losing a little bit of their strength and also the 2spd clutch shoes wear a little bit. The RPM band its "jittery" is short, pulling the trigger another 1/8" and it shifts and stays in 2nd. They don't seem to do it as much when the 2spd clutchbell and the clutch shoes get a fresh sanding with 150 grit. You might get a little more bite with the 2spd shoes flipped around the other way too.
Old 05-21-2011, 02:23 PM
ntrain42

Well I have said it before, but i normally dont really beat my trucks like i stole them or anything. I run them how I want, but im not nearly as hard on them as some people. I had always heard to get the engine brace too but I thought, well i dont jump a lot and most people beat their stuff a lot harder than me, so i can probably get by without it. I guess I was wrong though

Im going to go with a roll bar for sure, but ill probably just built my own I imagine. I really wont be jumping it that much anyways, but a roll bar is something Losi should have included from the factory anyways. I think anything that weighs 14lbs and goes 40mph need a roll bar. haha

Whats the deal with the RC raven springs? I have some of their springs on my MGT and like them, but to me, the stock LST2 springs seem awesome. Are the ravens stiffer or something? I have the wing on my truck, and even though im not a big fan of a wing on a truck, I like that it acts as a wheelie bar and helps keep from scuffing the head up if it flips over.

I just wish I could run it today. The weather is awesome with no rain for the first time in what seems like 2 weeks (well yesterday was nice too), so it'd be nice to run. Guess ill have to pull the old faithful savage out
The Raven springs IMO suck. For one the tolerances from spring to spring are poor, and the "progressive rate" on compression is sketchy as well. If you feel you need stiffer springs go with Black or Yellow factory Losi springs, they are the best. Since you dont do massive bashing or jumps Id suggest all blacks or yellow(with 40-45wt oil)in back and blacks(35 wt)in the front.
Old 05-21-2011, 10:14 PM
HerrSavage

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

For jumping Ravens are unbeatable. I had yellows on my Muggy, and only on it did I ever manage to break a Losi shock.. Ravens are longer - the Losi springs are really short in comparison and require you to run a lot of preload.. The yellows - what most bashers run(or used to..) are too hard too IMO. For jumping though, the Ravens soak up jumps perfectly.. They might make the truck a little bouncy for handling, but for lots of jumping they are very, very good.

Used to be, back four years ago when I was reading around about LST2's and thinking about getting one, that everybody said you had to get a shock rebuild kit.. I got one, and it's still NIP in a drawer.. I put this down largely to the Ravens.. My LST2's raison d'tre from day one has been jumping too - not to be a shelf queen, racer, or whatever else..
Old 05-22-2011, 06:37 AM
ntrain42

ORIGINAL: HerrSavage

For jumping Ravens are unbeatable. I had yellows on my Muggy, and only on it did I ever manage to break a Losi shock.. Ravens are longer - the Losi springs are really short in comparison and require you to run a lot of preload.. The yellows - what most bashers run(or used to..) are too hard too IMO. For jumping though, the Ravens soak up jumps perfectly.. They might make the truck a little bouncy for handling, but for lots of jumping they are very, very good.

Used to be, back four years ago when I was reading around about LST2's and thinking about getting one, that everybody said you had to get a shock rebuild kit.. I got one, and it's still NIP in a drawer.. I put this down largely to the Ravens.. My LST2's raison d'tre from day one has been jumping too - not to be a shelf queen, racer, or whatever else..
The Losi Springs are short for a reason...........to allow you to set DROOP/ride height. And you can set spring preload as soft or stiff as you want with them as with any other spring. Ifthe springs are too stiff setting preload/ride height all you do is swap to a softer spring like the blacks.Its all in the setup.And springs aren't going to cause you to break shocks either. If on large take offs and landings your over extending or compressing your shocks to much from extreme jumps then the best thing to do is to put a 1/4" piece of fuel tubing on the shock shaft under the piston. Prevents damage and over extension of the cvd's if running heavy preload. Most people who run MT's don't spend any time truely fine tuning their springs and oil weights.
Old 05-22-2011, 08:07 AM
HerrSavage

Don't need to with the Ravens.
Old 05-22-2011, 09:53 AM
ntrain42

Don't need to with the Ravens.
Actually you do. Its the poor man's way of trying to get a good consistent damping effect. I had a set of em and every shock had significantly different preload settings just to try and get it somewhat consistent. And since the shocks only use a single piston/single chamber ,consistent damping and rebound suffered significantly. Progressive springs just don't work anywhere near as good as using the correct type of single weight spring and acompanying fluid.
Old 05-22-2011, 05:46 PM
cummins driver

Im just gonna stick with the stock springs i imagine. I really like how the trucks drives/handles with them so i dont see a need to change em. I can drop it down or raise it up depending on what im doing as well. As long as my shocks are working good, I pretty much leave them alone.

Eric
Old 05-23-2011, 05:39 PM
cummins driver

Well I found a set of NEW XXL wheels/tires/center caps on ebay for $28 shipped tonight. I had to buy em. They just look really good and i have no need to switch hubs since I like the 20mm hubs, losi XXL rims, and ATX tires very good. Plus now i have a whole extra set of the white ones.

Cant wait to put the XXL wheels on[8D] Now i just need a real truck body and it will look a lot more how i'd like. haha

Eric
Old 05-23-2011, 06:23 PM
ImpalaPolicePack

good to see you enjoy your losi !
Old 05-23-2011, 06:52 PM
cummins driver

Yep I like it pretty well. Just need to get that engine brace and spur gears so i can get back to running it. lol
Old 05-26-2011, 07:25 AM
CR500rider

Nice truck! And for 200 bucks its almost a steal! Im sure you will enjoy it for a long time to come! I know I did with mine! Oh and I also prefer the low range tranny, its nice to be able to go slow over some technical terrain or climb some stuff without putting extra strain on the engine. I actually have a few brand new spare low range trannies sitting in my parts box. Since they are not made anymore it is getting really hard to find them.

And to Supertib.....you are the biggest D-Bag on the internet. I still have no idea why you are on the LSTForums since you dont even own an LST. I think you are just there to peddle your crap. I dont know how a D-Bag like you even stays in business with an attitude like yours!

I have not been on here in quite a while because of this very thing! I decided to give it another shot, and the VERY FIRST thread i click on is this one. It started out nice and then supertib and his cuddlebuddy ntrain have to turn it into drama. Ill maybe check back in another 6 or 7 months and see if there are any changes.
Old 05-26-2011, 12:46 PM
supertib

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: CR500rider

Nice truck! And for 200 bucks its almost a steal! Im sure you will enjoy it for a long time to come! I know I did with mine! Oh and I also prefer the low range tranny, its nice to be able to go slow over some technical terrain or climb some stuff without putting extra strain on the engine. I actually have a few brand new spare low range trannies sitting in my parts box. Since they are not made anymore it is getting really hard to find them.

And to Supertib.....you are the biggest D-Bag on the internet. I still have no idea why you are on the LSTForums since you dont even own an LST. I think you are just there to peddle your crap. I dont know how a D-Bag like you even stays in business with an attitude like yours!

I have not been on here in quite a while because of this very thing! I decided to give it another shot, and the VERY FIRST thread i click on is this one. It started out nice and then supertib and his cuddlebuddy ntrain have to turn it into drama. Ill maybe check back in another 6 or 7 months and see if there are any changes.
Nice !!!

I just logged back and checked all your posts....all you do is post in the drama threads.... insulting us Nitro burners and stirring up crap..... Then you come here and past like your the holy saint of forum etiquette.. LOL...... like you have any room to be criticizing me !
Old 05-28-2011, 06:49 AM
HerrSavage

Just back from running a couple tanks through my oldie LST2.. God what a great truck. It's got four years' of slop in the steering, but besides that, everything ran great. WHAT a reliable RC this has been for me. Big Red was running really nicely too. More top end than I remember last year... Not as far off the Spec 3 as I had thought.. Those stock tires start to balloon and man the truck rocks on top end.. Now if only my dumb DM-1 were half as reliable as the LST2...

I SSSOOOO love coming home from burning several tanks of hassle-free nitro. Didn't quite make it today due to the DM-1 having yet more issues, but on balance the outing was positive - again, thanks to the LST2...
Old 05-28-2011, 11:58 AM
ImpalaPolicePack

i know what you mean, when you come home with 2-3 rcs and none are broken, and you burned 1/2 - 2/3 gallon + 2-3 battery packs !
only happened to me once though !
Old 05-29-2011, 02:06 AM
HerrSavage

Used to happen to me a lot more before I started experimenting with too many kinds of RC and brands... My basher LST2 and the RC8 buggy was a great combo.. No probs ever.. Spoiled me even probably..

Racer LST2 and Savage XSS - another story... This DM-1 is not quite working out like I was led to believe... Fun when it goes though. Hopefully these are just teething bugs, then it'll be better...
Old 05-31-2011, 07:03 AM
supertib

Used to happen to me a lot more before I started experimenting with too many kinds of RC and brands... My basher LST2 and the RC8 buggy was a great combo.. No probs ever.. Spoiled me even probably..

Racer LST2 and Savage XSS - another story... This DM-1 is not quite working out like I was led to believe... Fun when it goes though. Hopefully these are just teething bugs, then it'll be better...

really makes me wonder ..as we have 2 DM-1's that have been rock solid, even running killer engines like modified Picco/OS 28's and never had any issues with the 2 speeds...makes me wonder if the quality of production has changed since we got our cars.......You should not be having the issues that you are having, that is not the norm for the car.....
Old 06-01-2011, 05:08 PM
cummins driver

Well I have been running this LST2 some. So far so good with the truck after the engine brace ordeal. Im kind of having fits with the engine though. It runs good, always makes good power on the top end. However, the bottom end is impossible to get a good idle out of. I have been messing with it for a few days, sealed it up, swapped glow plugs, etc.. It just seemed like i was always fiddling with the idle/LSN the whole tank. What i have found is that the LSN is extremely finicky and the idle gap has to be open farther than what it should be for it to idle decent. I had it tuned ok at the end of the tank last night. Like i said, the top end is always great, but the bottom end is finicky. So today i got it out thinking i was getting the tune pinned down on it. Wrong. Blubbering rich and slowly progressed to running decent again. I got to looking close and noticed bubbles coming from the carb back into the fuel line. Then i let it die and it wouldnt start back. Pull the air filter off and its boiling the fuel in the carb! Stupid thing is boiling the fuel, just like my other sh XTM 24.7 did. What a pain. Its a great engine, but it really irks me not to have a consistant low idle. I guess ill deal with it, its just something that makes an otherwise great engine a pain.
Old 06-02-2011, 02:12 PM
SofaKingWeToddEdd
Banned

Looks like the perfect rig to convert to brushless!
Old 06-02-2011, 03:08 PM
cummins driver

Eh, I already have a brushless Monster GT and Stampede. Gonna keep the rest of em nitro burners
Old 06-02-2011, 11:20 PM
HerrSavage

As much as I like my Machs and LRP's, they're never going to idle like an OS Speed. A nice low constant idle is something I've learned to live without.. I just blip it. Running OS A5's as I prefer to doesn't help. I like the colder plugs though cuz they give you a much better top-end.. Hotter plugs do improve the idle, but don't give you the nice top-end WOT passes you get with an A5..

What the boiling fuel is all about I don't know. Could be something is up with the engine as it's used, the settings are off, something maybe with pressure in the tank or fuel lines, needs a new plug, etc..

BTW, I've never really had issues, but over the years a few people have complained about the tank - the pressure pump thing is apparently a potential problem with pressure or something.. I've never really used mine.. Might want to try a search on the tank thing about how to fix it - I think there's some fix which entails sealing the pressure pump or something..

If it were me, I'd set both needles back to flush, set a small 1mm idle gap or so, and start over again.. Do you even know how much fuel is through the engine?
Old 06-03-2011, 04:01 AM
cummins driver

As much as I like my Machs and LRP's, they're never going to idle like an OS Speed. A nice low constant idle is something I've learned to live without.. I just blip it. Running OS A5's as I prefer to doesn't help. I like the colder plugs though cuz they give you a much better top-end.. Hotter plugs do improve the idle, but don't give you the nice top-end WOT passes you get with an A5..

What the boiling fuel is all about I don't know. Could be something is up with the engine as it's used, the settings are off, something maybe with pressure in the tank or fuel lines, needs a new plug, etc..

BTW, I've never really had issues, but over the years a few people have complained about the tank - the pressure pump thing is apparently a potential problem with pressure or something.. I've never really used mine.. Might want to try a search on the tank thing about how to fix it - I think there's some fix which entails sealing the pressure pump or something..

If it were me, I'd set both needles back to flush, set a small 1mm idle gap or so, and start over again.. Do you even know how much fuel is through the engine?
The engine is only supposed to have had a little over a gallon through it. It looks great inside, and i dont believe it has been used a lot. Nothing is mechanically wrong with the engine, thats just one of the issues that shows with an uninsulated SH carb i guess. It didnt really do it when i first got it and i was running it in 70* weather. This week has been 90* + a few days which is when i noticed it. Its simply a matter of heat transferring from the block to the carburetor. Tune is perfect(as perfect as it can be to keep it running). I have checked over the tank and dont believe it is leaking. That would cause a high speed bog more than idle inconsistency though. I dont exactly like composite carb's, but my axial, both HPI Nitrostar's, etc have all idled extremely consistently and low. My thunder tiger engines with an aluminum carb dont have the boiling issues though. Its just a flaw that shows up on these SH engines i guess.
Old 06-03-2011, 07:14 AM
supertib

The engine is only supposed to have had a little over a gallon through it. It looks great inside, and i dont believe it has been used a lot. Nothing is mechanically wrong with the engine, thats just one of the issues that shows with an uninsulated SH carb i guess. It didnt really do it when i first got it and i was running it in 70* weather. This week has been 90* + a few days which is when i noticed it. Its simply a matter of heat transferring from the block to the carburetor. Tune is perfect(as perfect as it can be to keep it running). I have checked over the tank and dont believe it is leaking. That would cause a high speed bog more than idle inconsistency though. I dont exactly like composite carb's, but my axial, both HPI Nitrostar's, etc have all idled extremely consistently and low. My thunder tiger engines with an aluminum carb dont have the boiling issues though. Its just a flaw that shows up on these SH engines i guess.

the issues your having with the low idle is from having a non insulated carb....... This is what I do not like about these SH engines......Now hopefully people can see I am not a hater, and that my complaint with these engines is legitimate............. The harder you push these engines, the worse that idling issue shows up......
Old 06-03-2011, 08:23 AM
cummins driver

Yep, I had the same issue with my XTM 24.7. I cant stand it when an engine wont idle relatively low and steady. This engine hasnt shown signs as bad as the XTM did yet though, so im hoping its a little better maybe. The engine runs great other than that, its just one of those things that irk's me.
Old 06-03-2011, 09:19 AM
HerrSavage

Cost/benefit ratio still makes the SH engines attractive. You want a better idle, then pay double the price of an SH engine for something else, invest more time and hassle in setting it up, breaking it in, etc.. I mean, Cummins, you're talking basically about a $125 dollar engine, that runs great - for the money - with the RTR pipe and any number of easily available plugs, can break in in five tanks and then be thrashed mercilessly for a reliable eight gallons if half-way taken care of, etc..

I had a good eight gallons in my Orange Mach before I sold it with my Savage. Before selling it, I put a new Mach 26SS carb on it from jennysrcparts which cost about 15 bucks. It ran great - even the idle.. I've never had issues with "boiling" fuel or whatever either. Maybe just because I run cold plugs and my temps tend to stay low.. I rarely get over 250 with any of my SH engines..., and often get good performance at temps as low as the 170 range.. 200-225 is ideal.. - at least according to my temp guns, which may or may not be %100 accurate.. In any event, I'm pretty sure my engines are generally run on the cool side. I confirm this regularly with the spit test..

What plug are you running? Try a cold one - an OS A5/#10....

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.