Community
Search
Notices
Losi Monster Trucks Discuss all Losi Monster Trucks (i.e. LST) in this forum. Optionally you may discuss this and all other MT's in our general MT forum.

LST Rebuild

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2011, 03:55 AM
Muskokarc

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LST Rebuild

Just recently got a old well used LST figure would post as I do repairs and upgrades.

Ok its been a year since I got back into the RC hobby with any real time and money put into it. Had a local off road track open up so I dusted off my old E Rustler took it to the track and what I thought was a fast RC was not so any more. It is one of the originals that where released back int he day. Well over the year I have done a lot of upgrades from getting rid of the old mechanical speed control to beefing it up to take brushless and lipo power. So went from doing say 10km/h tops with the old stock motor setup to now getting 68 km/h. With that achieved my eyes began to wonder looking for the next RC to work on. Been looking at every thing from Crawlers to Helicopters. Was in my local swap shop and spotted this rather larg RC truck sitting on a shelf in the back. Asked the owner about it and found that it was due to come out.

He brought it out and showed me it; well I think it was love at first look. Even though I did not thing I would do anything with Nitro the truck was calling my name. I asked how much and he said make an offer so I did some research here on the forum and on Losi's site and other web sites. Came up with a price range and went back in. I offered him $100 cdn for it and he asked for $125. I dug out my rc savings and bought it.

The truck came with everything but more fuel and a fuel bottle. Took me a few tries to get it to go more things to have ready to fire up the motor than electric. Like charge the roto start and glow heater. I got it to fire up and it ran ok but would bog down when I tried to put full throttle and stall out. I was alright with that was just a test run to make sure all was working before I would tear it down and clean and replace some parts that where broken. Should have taken off the gear cover before starting it. Would have found that the low speed pinion gear was lose and worn out as much as it was. Well lesson learned there.

Now I have begun the tear down and cleaning. So-far I found I need to replace at least both the pinion and spur gear for the low gear. Since Losi offers a full package for both high and low will get that and start fresh there. Will replace the gear cover with a RPM setup. Have a new motor mount on the way to replace the one that was broken when I got it. Missing some screws so going to order a whole set,and lots of lock tight. Thinking of going with RC Screws stainless steel set. Will need a few gallons to of fresh shock oil those things are huge on it. Shock covers from Bad horse they are great at keeping the shocks clean and free of debris.

Any other suggestions on what should be done?

Here are some pics as it was when I purchased it and as far as I have done the break down.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Mk25321.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	79.9 KB
ID:	1652917   Click image for larger version

Name:	Sn41267.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	206.7 KB
ID:	1652918   Click image for larger version

Name:	Uz68309.jpg
Size:	183.5 KB
ID:	1652919   Click image for larger version

Name:	Xr45949.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	201.5 KB
ID:	1652920   Click image for larger version

Name:	Kv15332.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	196.7 KB
ID:	1652921   Click image for larger version

Name:	Pg61660.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	164.7 KB
ID:	1652922  
Old 08-24-2011, 05:31 AM
Muskokarc

Default RE: LST Rebuild

Break down pics
http://s957.photobucket.com/albums/a...er/Losi%20LST/

Old 08-24-2011, 06:22 AM
ZZimmy

I just got my Aftershock a month ago for $180 with radio, fuel, fuel bottle and other misc parts. Guy wanted $250 but the cold hard cash talked! Anyway, it's about a 1 1/2 yrs old but in good shape. Ran greatbut noticed something was up after a few runs. I had to adjust the slipper clutch as it wasn't hitting second gear, also seemed 4WD wasn't working great. After further inspection I noticed the set screw was missing from the front trans cup, and the brake discs had slid bakward off the cup, no brakes, no 4wd! I ordered the 5mm scews recently but have since installed Losi high-torque servos,a new HT XXL pipe, and a brand new air filter, sounds so much better with that pipe!! The gear cover was missing so ordered that too. Going to upgrade from the AA receiver pack to a 6 volt rechargeable pack as well. Other than that, from the little I have run it, I love it and that was only in 2WD! Would highly recommend the "HT" pipe if yours doesn't alrady have one as well as the HT servos for the steering at least, theyneed all the help they can get in steering.
Old 08-27-2011, 05:23 AM
1QwkSport2.5r

Received 76 Likes on 69 Posts

ORIGINAL: Muskokarc

Just recently got a old well used LST figure would post as I do repairs and upgrades.

Ok its been a year since I got back into the RC hobby with any real time and money put into it. Had a local off road track open up so I dusted off my old E Rustler took it to the track and what I thought was a fast RC was not so any more. It is one of the originals that where released back int he day. Well over the year I have done a lot of upgrades from getting rid of the old mechanical speed control to beefing it up to take brushless and lipo power. So went from doing say 10km/h tops with the old stock motor setup to now getting 68 km/h. With that achieved my eyes began to wonder looking for the next RC to work on. Been looking at every thing from Crawlers to Helicopters. Was in my local swap shop and spotted this rather larg RC truck sitting on a shelf in the back. Asked the owner about it and found that it was due to come out.

He brought it out and showed me it; well I think it was love at first look. Even though I did not thing I would do anything with Nitro the truck was calling my name. I asked how much and he said make an offer so I did some research here on the forum and on Losi's site and other web sites. Came up with a price range and went back in. I offered him $100 cdn for it and he asked for $125. I dug out my rc savings and bought it.

The truck came with everything but more fuel and a fuel bottle. Took me a few tries to get it to go more things to have ready to fire up the motor than electric. Like charge the roto start and glow heater. I got it to fire up and it ran ok but would bog down when I tried to put full throttle and stall out. I was alright with that was just a test run to make sure all was working before I would tear it down and clean and replace some parts that where broken. Should have taken off the gear cover before starting it. Would have found that the low speed pinion gear was lose and worn out as much as it was. Well lesson learned there.

Now I have begun the tear down and cleaning. So-far I found I need to replace at least both the pinion and spur gear for the low gear. Since Losi offers a full package for both high and low will get that and start fresh there. Will replace the gear cover with a RPM setup. Have a new motor mount on the way to replace the one that was broken when I got it. Missing some screws so going to order a whole set,and lots of lock tight. Thinking of going with RC Screws stainless steel set. Will need a few gallons to of fresh shock oil those things are huge on it. Shock covers from Bad horse they are great at keeping the shocks clean and free of debris.

Any other suggestions on what should be done?

Here are some pics as it was when I purchased it and as far as I have done the break down.

The cylinder head is on sideways. The grooves on top should go front to back instead of sideways. Cooling fins are more efficient when air can go through them instead of over them.

Good upgrades to an LST1 is the LST2 conversion kit. Bigger axles, beefier suspension arms, 17mm wheel hexes (better than the 14 or 15mm that come on the LST1/AFT/MegaBaja, and beefier chassis rails. Its spendy at around $130USD, but well worth the extra beefiness.
Next would be the LST2 spec spur gear setup. Has bearings instead of bushings, the 2nd gear clutch hub is all aluminum instead of just an aluminum ring in a plastic spur gear, and I highly suggest dumping the Reverse and High/Low in the transmission in favor of the Losi Forward Only kit. The truck loses weight, rotating mass, and if you do the "gear flip mod" it'll go faster too. I did this to both of my LST2's. There are other upgrades that can be done but those are IMO the best ones to start with if you want a really tough basher.

I love Losi monster trucks.
Old 08-27-2011, 12:13 PM
Muskokarc

Ok great ideals. Will change the heat sink. Need new gears so will look at the conversion.

Was also wondering about the how close to the end of the drive shafts are on the trani is it normal to be only a millmeter from the ends?
Old 08-27-2011, 02:44 PM
1QwkSport2.5r

Ok great ideals. Will change the heat sink. Need new gears so will look at the conversion.

Was also wondering about the how close to the end of the drive shafts are on the trani is it normal to be only a millmeter from the ends?
I have both of my LST2's set the same - the driveshaft goes into the trans. drive cup just enough so the dogbone drive pins are just inside the cup. You dont want the drive pins (the two nubs on the end of the dogbone) to have the chance to slip out.
Here's a pic of my .28 truck. Its hard to see, but if you look closely you can see where the dogbone is sitting in the drive cup.
Old 08-28-2011, 11:32 AM
Muskokarc

Ok cool so it is a normal setup then.
Old 08-28-2011, 12:29 PM
1QwkSport2.5r

Ok cool so it is a normal setup then.
Yes. If you had the dogbone all the way in the drive cup, the CV end would barely be on the diff output shaft.
Old 08-29-2011, 08:54 AM
Muskokarc

While doing the tear down I noticed it almost looks like it could be set up with rear steering. Was this ever a setup for the LST? Just odd to have a spot for a fourth servo.

I think that the truck is going to be about a pound or two lighter by the time I finish cleanining all the dirt off it. Don't think it was ever cleaned. Also been finding more parts that need replaced, but I am having fun all along the prosess and thats why Igot it.
Old 09-01-2011, 04:32 PM
Muskokarc

Well tear down is done and have started degreasing and cleaing up the gear and other moving parts. Lots of sand and such all around, also there is a hole in the trany case. So add a new case to the wish list.

I looking to replace the AA pack that came with it. Should get a hump back pack or laydown style?

Will be droping in a digital receaver and servos into the Beast.
Old 09-04-2011, 09:40 AM
1QwkSport2.5r

While doing the tear down I noticed it almost looks like it could be set up with rear steering. Was this ever a setup for the LST? Just odd to have a spot for a fourth servo.

I think that the truck is going to be about a pound or two lighter by the time I finish cleanining all the dirt off it. Don't think it was ever cleaned. Also been finding more parts that need replaced, but I am having fun all along the prosess and thats why I got it.
Yes, there is an option to have steering in the rear. This is only possible with LST1/Aftershock/Mega Baja/Raminator trucks and not on the LST2. With rear steering you have to rely on your servos operating perfectly glitch-free all the time. It'd be cool to do but no high-speed running with it.. I guess it can get twitchy.

Well tear down is done and have started degreasing and cleaing up the gear and other moving parts. Lots of sand and such all around, also there is a hole in the trany case. So add a new case to the wish list.

I looking to replace the AA pack that came with it. Should get a hump back pack or laydown style?

Will be droping in a digital receaver and servos into the Beast.
I use 5-cell 1600mah MaxAmps NiMH flat packs in the under-chassis battery holder on my lst2's. I can run for days on 1 good charge. I get about 6.6-6.8v on a fresh charge.
Old 09-04-2011, 05:23 PM
Muskokarc

Ok great.  Might be a fun experiment to convert the rear into steering though it only runs on one servo.  Will get it all back up and running before do that. 

Was wondering where the battery pack should go it was just duct taped to the top of the receiver box when I got the truck.

Old 09-04-2011, 07:45 PM
1QwkSport2.5r

Ok great. Might be a fun experiment to convert the rear into steering though it only runs on one servo. Will get it all back up and running before do that.

Was wondering where the battery pack should go it was just duct taped to the top of the receiver box when I got the truck.

You would use the same 2 servo/bellcranks on the rear that you would use up front. You would more or less take the front end, photocopy is and glue it on the back. Exact same parts.

You need Losi part LOSB2351. Battery mount for lst2. Depending on the age of your chassis plates, you might have to drill holes if they aren't already there but this is what I have. The Maxamps 1600 packs are a little big for the mount, so using longer screws works perfect.
It's under chassis parts here: http://www.Losi.com/prodinfo/files/p...osion_lst2.pdf
Old 09-04-2011, 10:18 PM
Muskokarc

Ok cool,  Like your air boat pic.  Built one back in High school was actually a class that was offered.  Found the old electric motor and prop I used; lost the aluminum body long ago though.
Old 09-05-2011, 04:21 AM
1QwkSport2.5r

Ok cool, Like your air boat pic. Built one back in High school was actually a class that was offered. Found the old electric motor and prop I used; lost the aluminum body long ago though.
I wont post pictures of the boats here, but I have 3 scratchbuilt airboats. I have my build threads in the Airboat forum [link=http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/forumid_246/tt.htm]Here.[/link] So far, only 1 has ran good. I am testing #3 today, which has a .46 engine.
Old 09-11-2011, 11:22 AM
Muskokarc

Started collecting part for the LST rebuild.  Digging around two hobby shops when I went down to the city for my anniversary.  Managed to find a new trany case, stock plastic gears (just would like to get it up and running then add the metal),  new body (Pro-lin Ford Raptor body) paint and pack of miscellaneous parts.
Old 10-14-2011, 12:06 AM
Muskokarc

Orderd up part this week to finish my rebuild. Also got in my shock covers in from badhorsie.com. Great covers at a decent price to. They are my second set from them first set Igo for my ruslter.

Old 11-25-2011, 06:26 PM
Muskokarc

Almost done just need a few more parts and paint masks to finish it all up.

Name:	Sq46932.jpg
Size:	85.6 KB
ID:	1691313   Click image for larger version

Name:	Fa86140.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	71.6 KB
ID:	1691314   Click image for larger version

Name:	Qn38436.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	143.3 KB
ID:	1691315   Click image for larger version

Name:	Yu63490.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	132.1 KB
ID:	1691316   Click image for larger version

Name:	Wb74305.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	141.3 KB
ID:	1691317   Click image for larger version

Name:	Bv59745.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	134.0 KB
ID:	1691318  
Old 12-11-2011, 04:01 PM
Muskokarc

Ok almost done the paint job on then new body, have the bell crank and new clutch shoes on order, hope to have them just before Christmas.

Name:	Jh16810.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	83.6 KB
ID:	1698654   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ki18646.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	85.5 KB
ID:	1698655   Click image for larger version

Name:	If10769.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	80.2 KB
ID:	1698656  
Old 12-15-2011, 08:57 AM
Muskokarc

Ok looking to get new set of rims do I need to get any kind of offset for them??  Looking to get a set of Maximizer beadlock rims.
Old 12-15-2011, 09:55 AM
HerrSavage

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Truck is looking great..

As for rims, any 40 series.. Don't know Maximizer offset sizes.. 40 Series though is what the stock ones are - pretty much.
Old 12-15-2011, 01:21 PM
Muskokarc

Here is there web site.

http://www.maximizerproducts.com/

For 3.2” monster truck tires also know as Maxx size or MT.

Old 12-15-2011, 04:45 PM
1QwkSport2.5r

Here is there web site.

http://www.maximizerproducts.com/

For 3.2” monster truck tires also know as Maxx size or MT.

I think maxx sized tires are the same as 30 series. I haven't ran 30 series tires on an lst2 yet, but one guy on here says they don't run right. Haven't had the money to try them yet though.
Old 12-15-2011, 11:44 PM
HerrSavage

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

That guy is probably me. Some guys have had better luck maybe, but over the long run, IMHO an LST2 - as long as you want to keep the 2-speed and NOT convert to single-speed - does not work well with smaller tires. I have a second LST2 that I wanted to make a "track-only" near-truggy kind of truck - Muggy shocks, sway bars, 17mm hexes with truggy tires, etc.., and it was a horrible nightmare. The 2-speed somehow won't engage if the tires are too small and light.. It had phases when it did work, but more often than not it didn't. And I had installed whole new transmissions, 2-speeds, clutches, you name it.. Totally irritating problem. Give gas, and the engine just revs with no load.. Then sometimes it would CLICK! and work.. Then it would CLICK! back out and not work.. Total PIA. I now have big HPI Savage XL Terra Pins on it, and it goes flawflessly. Just not so great for running on a track..

I read up on this lots, had people tell me the cam was worn, of flawed from factory, or I needed to clean the 2-speed, or do this or do that. All useless IMO. IMO the design of the truck somehow just doesn't allow for the 2-speed to work right with the smaller, lighter tires. I literally tried three whole separate transmissions, three 2-speed units, went to a new clutch, experimented with tightening the slipper all the way down, cleaned everything repeatedly, you name it. After the last time, having installed a brand new clutch and brand new 2-speed and brand-new XXL transmission, and taking it out to have it start slipping out and disengaging within half a tank, I have given up completely on running truggy tires on it. Unfortunately. Because as it's setup now, it handles really well on the track..

So anyway, yeah, that's my explanation.. Get some Axial 40 series rims or something. Or 40 series anything - but not MT or LPR...
Old 12-16-2011, 04:34 AM
Muskokarc

Ok good info for saving me some frustration and time.  Will keep the maximizer idea for my Ruslter.  Will look for the 40s for the LST.  Now did you have your revers gears in with the smaller tires?? I am keeping the revers because it is handy when out bashing and you get stuck against something.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.