Community
Search
Notices
Losi Monster Trucks Discuss all Losi Monster Trucks (i.e. LST) in this forum. Optionally you may discuss this and all other MT's in our general MT forum.

LRP .32!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2012, 03:11 PM
mechanike

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: LRP .32!!

racers edge has a Surefire.32 8 port.i'll be brakin mine in in a week.
Old 04-15-2012, 03:47 PM
ausrcnut

Sounds interesting. I havent seen much of that brand. What factory are they made by?
Old 04-15-2012, 04:21 PM
mechanike

yeah got it on ebay for $40 got it resized $20 shoul;d be interesting,,,,,,its made by racers edge.
Old 04-15-2012, 06:33 PM
steed2-inactive

on the third tank of break in tonight guys, so far seems exactly like the 30 but with more bottom end. I will keep you posted, i am going to make a better video but once its broken in. Side note, it idles beautifully.
Old 04-15-2012, 07:10 PM
srt10
My Feedback: (20)

now I'm torn between the LRP .28, .30, and the .32 motor for my Losi Muggy??
Old 04-15-2012, 08:29 PM
HerrSavage

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

IMO the .28, for most top-end..
Old 04-15-2012, 10:13 PM
ausrcnut

Yeah, I second that. If I had a very light racer, I'd use a competition .28. But for an MT, I'd go a few more cubes for the added weight of it. Im sure a competition 7port LRP will decimate anything...!!!
Old 04-16-2012, 04:52 AM
steed2-inactive

definately go for the .28.
Old 04-16-2012, 06:07 AM
srt10

ORIGINAL: steed2

definately go for the .28.
Why are you saying to go with the .28 vs the others?
thanks

I'm also considering moding the Mach 427
Old 04-16-2012, 06:21 AM
lez1troubles

I guess the 32 size engines are going to drink fuel like crazy.
Old 04-16-2012, 01:17 PM
ausrcnut

Both fuel and performance. But the bottom line is, it totally depends on the vehicle and its application. So weight and what you want to do with it, race or bash. A savageX is a fairly light MT, (not as light as a redcat but fairly light), but if you consider a picco .28 will have it wheel-standing all day, do you "need" more power? A .28 will rev smoother & quicker to the higher rpms, but so long as the vehicle isnt too heavy. An engine that is not constantly labouring to 100% of its capacity will last longer. For me, I bash a SavageXL, so I want gobs of torque. I also want efficiency and longevity. I will get the LRP .32 5-port as the rpm range will be sweet for my application and the ability to slingshot me over obstacles, as well as not constantly over labouring the engine, giving me longevity, better running temps and overall performance. If I were racing, I'd select the competition LRP .30 7-port for the added rpms. My mate has a LosiXXL. It's one of the biggest 1/8 scale MTs out. Its fairly light for its size which is the key advantage. It has the 454 (SH.28). It is enough to provide awesome performance and even have it wheel-standing, although after a hard THRASHBASH, she's pretty hot and needs a break. It is still adequate though for its bash application, and well suited for racing due to reduction of weight. An additional relief of a couple more cubes, will see it perform better overall. Its like 2 CHEV- LXS engines(LS7 & LS3). Both are aluminum blocks, are of the same technology but one's putting out reliable HP due to displacement. The other is putting out the same HP due to it stroker and highly strung compression/internals configuration. I can guarantee the LS7 will perform all day and night for years on end but is heavier, where as the LS3 will still be awesome for the race and lighter providing advantages, but wont last upto the abuse over time. But you can see my point, depending on what you have and what you need it to do will dictate suitable engine selection. A fantastic .28 is the SH.28-P3. $90 from Ebay, and will rip all day. I ported one out and had phenominal results. But other than that, Picco Navarossi or LRP are all I would go near.
Old 04-16-2012, 04:53 PM
srt10

yeah, this will be for my Losi Muggy
Old 04-16-2012, 06:21 PM
ausrcnut

A performance .28 will rip in that thing. If your racing, I guess you'll have strict guidelines, but other than that, the .30 will decimate it...!!
Old 04-16-2012, 08:56 PM
srt10

ORIGINAL: ausrcnut

A performance .28 will rip in that thing. If your racing, I guess you'll have strict guidelines, but other than that, the .30 will decimate it...!!
So it sounds like even the LRP.28 would rip (Losi 454) vs my Mach 427
and the 30 even more low end and the .32 even more torque again..
this will be a back yard basher and terror
so either of the 3 (4) motors would work just fine for me and have more guts than my Mach 427 [:-]
Old 04-16-2012, 09:33 PM
ausrcnut

Yeah, the Mach427, the teal colour cooling head version produced more power than the gold/silver versions. Its older technology but still rips. The 454 is great, but yeah, pretty much as you said, any high end .28 will be good. The LRPs are good because of the torque they produce as well. If you find a picco-P3 for cheap new, buy it, you wont be disappointed at all..!!
Old 04-17-2012, 05:30 PM
FULLYGROWNKID

I just purchased a LRP .32 and plan on running it in my Savage XL stock gearing with an Dynamite 086 pipe. I'm curious to know what glow plugs any of you suggest i get as back ups. I've heard the LRP plugs aren't any good. I have a few OS #8's and MC #9's. Any suggestions?
Old 04-17-2012, 06:08 PM
ausrcnut

Well, LRP's are designed for 25% fuel, which says to me that it has been designed with higher compression in mind....and If you try 20% it may run like a pig. Apparently OS-A5 plugs are good with 25%-30% nitro. The colder plug provides good running temps, but you need the good nitro to boot. I personally wouldnt use 30% nitro, as yes, you'll get more power, response and consistency, but also higher temps, and higher wear factor. So, I'd run it in on factory recommendations, and depending on your ambient temperatures where you live, buy either an OS-A4 or A5 plug and experiment to running temps. I use OS R3 (hot) in my other engines (non LRP) with 20%nitro, but have them slightly rich to keep them from overheating because the running consistency and power is better. I find they flame out less. (I bash, not race, so to me it doesnt matter about peak performance). But on such a highly designed engine (LRP), I wouldnt sway too much from factory recommendations.

25% nitro, OS-A4/5.
Old 04-18-2012, 06:34 AM
lez1troubles

Ausrcnut, the higher nitro content actually lowers the temperatures of your engine. Noticed that after swapping from 25% to 30%. Engine temp dropped by 22°C. Had to retune from 98°C to get back up to 120°C.
Old 04-18-2012, 08:33 AM
HerrSavage

The 30 and 32 have more torque, but less top end. The Muggy is single speed, so you need top end/revs. The 28 has plenty of grunt for a Muggy down low - even for a heavier 2-speed LST2 IMO. The teal/silver Mach's are awesome though.

Honestly, one of the first things you should do with a Muggy is a 17mm hex conversion and run some LPR -size truggy tires and wheels. Then the truck, with significantly lighter tires and wheels, will be plenty fast with a plain ole' Mach - probably faster even than with something bigger. The Machs rev pretty nicely.

(ps A new and better clutch - like the Fioroni slider, is also highly recommdable...)

Still, one of my fave engine combos I've had was a Muggy with MT Badlands with an LRP Spec 3 .28 and JP-2 pipe.. Was a lot of fun - pizza cutter tires and really good speed.. Run an OS A5 in all these engines for more top end too..
Old 04-18-2012, 09:09 AM
srt10

ORIGINAL: HerrSavage

The 30 and 32 have more torque, but less top end. The Muggy is single speed, so you need top end/revs. The 28 has plenty of grunt for a Muggy down low - even for a heavier 2-speed LST2 IMO. The teal/silver Mach's are awesome though.

Honestly, one of the first things you should do with a Muggy is a 17mm hex conversion and run some LPR -size truggy tires and wheels. Then the truck, with significantly lighter tires and wheels, will be plenty fast with a plain ole' Mach - probably faster even than with something bigger. The Machs rev pretty nicely.

(ps A new and better clutch - like the Fioroni slider, is also highly recommdable...)

Still, one of my fave engine combos I've had was a Muggy with MT Badlands with an LRP Spec 3 .28 and JP-2 pipe.. Was a lot of fun - pizza cutter tires and really good speed.. Run an OS A5 in all these engines for more top end too..
Great to know..
do you have any links for quick views to see what I need for my Muggy?
Thanks!
Old 04-18-2012, 09:16 AM
HerrSavage

On mine I had regular old Mugen buggy hexes, and the appropriate shims. But Losi also makes a set.

Hexes:

http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...Set-4-LST2-MUG

Clutch:

http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...-Clutch-System

(expensive, but lasts FOREVER....)

As for tires, any truggy tires that float your boat - the bigger diameter (4.0 for ex.) the better.. Most are 3.7 I think - i.e. LPR size. AKA, Proline, Jconcepts.. There are tons. Even just some normal ole' Proline Crimefighters or Bow Ties are good - probably cheaper than AKA and co too... Depends where you want to run...

Also, try an OS A5 plug...
Old 04-18-2012, 02:46 PM
ausrcnut

Maybe with the LRP engines, but I get the opposite (non LRP engine) my temps shoot through the roof. I guess that it will depend on the oil content as well, this might have an adverse affect on the temps if the oil is not proportioned to the increased nitro. What fuel do you use?
Old 04-18-2012, 04:00 PM
srt10

ORIGINAL: ausrcnut

Maybe with the LRP engines, but I get the opposite (non LRP engine) my temps shoot through the roof. I guess that it will depend on the oil content as well, this might have an adverse affect on the temps if the oil is not proportioned to the increased nitro. What fuel do you use?
no matter what % nitro I use I retune to performance and then temps
anytime we change Nitro % we need to retune..
more nitro means a tad richer on the needle
245-265* is usually my max depending on motor
Old 04-18-2012, 04:03 PM
srt10

ORIGINAL: HerrSavage

On mine I had regular old Mugen buggy hexes, and the appropriate shims. But Losi also makes a set.

Hexes:

http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...Set-4-LST2-MUG

Clutch:

http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...-Clutch-System

(expensive, but lasts FOREVER....)

As for tires, any truggy tires that float your boat - the bigger diameter (4.0 for ex.) the better.. Most are 3.7 I think - i.e. LPR size. AKA, Proline, Jconcepts.. There are tons. Even just some normal ole' Proline Crimefighters or Bow Ties are good - probably cheaper than AKA and co too... Depends where you want to run...

Also, try an OS A5 plug...
Awesome thank you!!
hexes are on there way..
and what makes that clutch better for my Muggy?
thanks
Old 04-18-2012, 09:52 PM
HerrSavage

The Muggy suffers from chassis flex, which will be hell on your CB bearings. Just the tire change will help a lot in that regard,

A cheaper clutch option is just to get Dynamite Max Life clutch shoes.. Also a good option.. I just had a Fioroni back in the day that I bought used, and it went forever. Still going actually..

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.