Community
Search
Notices
Losi Monster Trucks Discuss all Losi Monster Trucks (i.e. LST) in this forum. Optionally you may discuss this and all other MT's in our general MT forum.

Losi lst xxl 2 gas 2 stroke.

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2016, 03:22 PM
Morris400

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Losi lst xxl 2 gas 2 stroke.

Hey guys.

I just picked up a used losi lst xxl 2 gas. I bought it used withs broken side rails. I paid 400 cdn for it. Which seems like a deal considering there around 1k new.

From what I know the truck is on a newer engine as the original one broke on break in.

Truck is in really good condition and has no scratches (minus the broken side rails) no tire wear or anything. Guy said his wife jumped it and hit a trailer that's how rhe chassis broke.

Was this a smart buy? I'm noticing that there is not much info on this truck and very few hop ups. I don't plan to do hop ups as the truck is well build from what I've taken apart so far. I'm just looking to bomb around and bash a bit.

The truck came with 2 body's in great shape. 2 lipos for receiver, basic tools and spark plugs. some oil to mix to full RTR.

I have a nitro as well so I understand a bit about maintenence Ect. Looking to ditch nitro due to cost of fuel for it and it's very finicky. Hoping the gas is easier to tune and run.

All in all did I make a smart buy or should I have passed?

The truck did fire up and fires up easy.
Old 08-11-2016, 02:40 PM
Morris400

Went trough a tank today and blast. This thing hulls. Did break a spur though. Going to replace that and take it out latter. Really liking this truck.

I'm on stock needle settings and the truck runs rich for sure. I want to get used to it before I even try to lean it out. I'll probably keep it rich as winter is almost here too and colder weather calls for a rich setting.
Old 08-11-2016, 03:13 PM
Mechanicaloverlord

The LST2 platform this truck is based on (same suspension just longer chassis) is one of the best MT's out right now. They really don't need any upgrades as they're a tough truck. I recommend going over the grub screws on the center shafts as these usually don't have enough locktite from the factory.

The engine is another story. Initially there were many people breaking the connecting rod and having some tuning troubles especially during and just after break in. Losi revised the manual with new needle settings at least once so be sure to download the latest manual and read it. The needle settings and adjustments are a little different from traditional nitro engines. Supposedly they also made some internal changes to the engine to stock breaking rods. Besides the connecting rod issue Losi did a way better job on their gas engine than HPI did with the Octane though. Haven't looked into either much lately but it seems most XXL2 owners seem to have worked the bugs out.

Just a side note, the lipo receiver pack also powers the ignition system not just the receiver.
Old 08-11-2016, 03:42 PM
Morris400

Thanks for the reply. This truck is amazing for sure. As with the needle settings. The manual I have says 18h out on HSN and 30h out on LSN. That's where I'm at. I down loaded one from losi.com that says the same thing. Can someone verify that that's correct?

I figured out the difference in needles between the nitro and gas. 18h out is 1.5 turns out and 30h out is 2.5 turns out.

It runs good and does die sometimes but in a 30 min run it die out about 3 times total. Which is not horrible. But the spur gear is on its last life as well. I'm getting a new one tomorrow.
Old 08-12-2016, 05:32 PM
Morris400

Replaced the spur gear today and took the truck out. Leaned the HSN 2 hours. Now it's at 16 out and leaned the LSN 1 hour now at 29 out.

The truck still seems sluggish at the launch. But once it's going she rips pretty good.

Temps are around 190 (on the dynamite logo) taken on the block. Seems a bit low. Should be around 230 no?

I'm thinking it's rich still on both needless and I'll continue to tune as time goes on.

Also had my nitro out today and the neighbours complained and 2 police officers showed up. Noise complaints at 3pm...new to me.
Old 03-27-2019, 03:33 AM
ben foster

Angry I need help or advice

I also have a losi lst xxl2 2 stroke truck...im having problems with the engine starting and then dying right away...does anyone have any knowledge if this is a carb issue or a ignition issue...any advice would be much appreciated