Community
Search
Notices
Losi Monster Trucks Discuss all Losi Monster Trucks (i.e. LST) in this forum. Optionally you may discuss this and all other MT's in our general MT forum.

Fuel tank options

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2017, 02:24 PM
MTmichael

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fuel tank options

Now that Losi discontinued the two lst nitro tanks. What are others using for fuel tanks besides the $70 RD Logics aluminum tank? I put in a xxl gas tank and replaced the lines with nitro lines and put a fuel filter clunk in the tank. Truck now seems to run not like it used to, maybe motor dying. Anyone else try the Gas tank with a nitro lst?
Old 08-26-2017, 03:28 PM
1QwkSport2.5r

Received 76 Likes on 69 Posts

Get rid of the filter clunk and run a standard fuel filter inline between tank and carb. The XXL2 GAS tank works fine as it came from the box.

I have a pile of old tanks - mostly 170cc, maybe one spare 220cc tank. The 220cc tanks are around - just have to look-ask around.

Aluminum fuel tank + Nitro fuel is bad karma. Bad bad news there.
Old 08-26-2017, 05:22 PM
MTmichael

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Top lid seal

The nitro fuel wore out the top seal. It also leans out really bad as the tank empties, worse than a savage. What issues do the aluminum tanks have? I think it's dumb Losi discontinued the tanks, should of at least kept the large one around.'
Old 08-27-2017, 08:02 AM
1QwkSport2.5r

Received 76 Likes on 69 Posts

The o-ring in the cap shrinks with time. Sometimes the screw in the underside of the cap (that retains the o-ring) comes loose. Make sure it's still tight. If you measure the old o-ring and just go a tiny bit larger in diameter or thickness, you're okay. That's what I did - but I think I just used a black rubber o-ring from the plumbing section of the local hardware store.

FWIW - the XXL2 gas tank is a better unit with a better cap. $24 at DollarHobbyz.com

Methanol corrodes aluminum - it's especially bad when you add moisture and nitromethane. Never use an aluminum fuel tank for that reason alone. Besides that, you can't see the fuel level in an aluminum tank.