Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Monster Trucks > Losi Monster Trucks
Reload this Page >

Need some help after break-in attempt of my LST.

Notices
Losi Monster Trucks Discuss all Losi Monster Trucks (i.e. LST) in this forum. Optionally you may discuss this and all other MT's in our general MT forum.

Need some help after break-in attempt of my LST.

Old 08-10-2004, 07:44 PM
mclassic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need some help after break-in attempt of my LST.

I went out this evening to break in my LST. I need some help getting everything set up properly.

I got the engine tuned. Although, towards the end it was running 250-260. I had it going at 230-238 before the temperature shot up. I made some adjustments but the temp wouldn't come down. I was only able to get through a little less than 1 1/2 tanks of fuel.

BIG BIG BIG issue...

What is the deal with the transmission? After getting the engine tuned I would throttle and the truck would not go anywhere. I checked the high/lo nob and saw that it was stuck in the middle. Changed it to high... my LST would barely move. Moved it to low, truck crawled a little more. Checked to see if the transmission was locking in by moving the nob as I was throttling. In low gear the truck would flinch a little bit. Reverse seemed to catch, but it would still crawl at about 5 mph.

I wasn't sure if I would damage something but I had to try driving it. I drove it, truck drove at about 2 or 3 mph, then seemed to want to get a little faster. I think I got it up to maybe 5 or 6 mph. Then, i tried high gear... truck still crawled a lot. But, it seemed to want to go, then finally got up to about 20.

I changed the clutch springs earlier so I thought that might have something to do with it. But no, I heard the transmission shift. So, it wasn't a clutch issue.

It seems to me that the transmission was engaged but for some reason was not getting enough force to drive it at speed. But, after staying on the throttle it seemed to get progressively faster, as if something was warming up in the transmission.

Can anyone tell me what might be going on.

I must say that although my run was brief that I like this truck a lot. It has great handling. The steering seems to be biased toward the left, as it would really make aggressive left turns.

This truck will definitely run well against the other trucks that I've seen drivers race onroad.

I'm very happy.
Old 08-10-2004, 07:46 PM
jefx

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Need some help after break-in attempt of my LST.

It's your slipper. Tighten it so it's about 1/2-1 turn from tight.
Old 08-10-2004, 07:48 PM
jefx

Oh, and 250-260 is too hot for break-in. Richen it up a bit. Mine runs around 220 after almost 2 gallons and it'll pull wheelies like their going out of style.
Old 08-10-2004, 07:49 PM
mclassic

thanks a lot for the info. I'll make the changes tonight and try it out tomorrow. I'll let you know how it goes.
Old 08-10-2004, 08:13 PM
ThermalRD

My 2 speed housing needed to be cleaned a couple times during breakin. That bearing in there is heavily greased. It causes that to slip ALOT. Same with the slipper pads, they may have grease on them. Clean em if you have to, and tighten the slipper down.
Old 08-10-2004, 08:25 PM
creyc

By "it'll pull wheelies like their going out of style" does that mean you can do one in high gear?

Cause I still wanna see an LST that can do that! Take a video or something man...lol
I can't believe until I can see. Maybe my engine will have more power when it gets back from Losi though.
Old 08-10-2004, 09:00 PM
mclassic

Okay, maybe it wasn't the slipper. After carefully looking at the high/lo nob, I don't think I had the gears fully locked in. I still adjusted the slipper one turn though from the end setting.
Old 08-10-2004, 09:17 PM
jefx

ORIGINAL: creyc

By "it'll pull wheelies like their going out of style" does that mean you can do one in high gear?

Cause I still wanna see an LST that can do that! Take a video or something man...lol
I can't believe until I can see. Maybe my engine will have more power when it gets back from Losi though.

Yes, it'll do it in high gear as long as it gets traction. It'll flip itself over on the grass.

I don't have a digi-cam, but my buddy does. Next weekend I plan on taking some video of it with his camera and I'll post it so you can see. I plan on taking some footage of me doing some 10 foot tall back-flips with it.
Old 08-11-2004, 05:10 PM
mclassic

I adjust the slipper and still no luck. I'll try cleaning the 2-speed housing. I press the throttle and the truck doesn't go anywhere.
Old 08-11-2004, 05:16 PM
ThermalRD

Is your forward/reverse servo fully engaged? Sounds like its stuck in the middle.

Matt
ORIGINAL: mclassic

I adjust the slipper and still no luck. I'll try cleaning the 2-speed housing. I press the throttle and the truck doesn't go anywhere.
Old 08-11-2004, 06:03 PM
mclassic

It seems to be. When I switch the radio into reverse the truck will go. It's not fast but it's faster than any of the forward gears. Do you think it has something to do with my servo settings. I played with the engine needles a few minutes ago and was able to get some driving force behind the wheels in high gear. But, it still seems like it's not quite there. My receiver battery just died, so I have to wait for a peak charge to try anything else again.
Old 08-11-2004, 06:57 PM
BillA

mclassic

your statement "Do you think it has something to do with my servo settings." makes me beg to ask the question..........Have you changed the radio default settings? You can perform some amazing (and sometimes disapointing) things when using a programable radio.

This makes me ask the other experts........how do you reset the radio to the default settings for the LST?
Old 08-11-2004, 07:40 PM
mclassic

Bill, I already had an XS3 before buying the LST, so I copied the settings from the original XS3 radio. I think tomorrow I'll try the LST XS3 radio since I haven't gotten rid of it yet and see if there any differences.

I was able to get it working for a bit. I got it going in low range and the speed seemed pretty good, not sure how fast it's supposed to go. I need to keep playing with the low speed needle because it seems to be affecting the truck's response. Just when I thought I had it going good the truck overheated. Temps were up to 260 at idle when I restarted it. I tried making the mixture more rich but reponsiveness would go away. When I swing the nob to high gear, the truck doesn't go anywhere.

Besides trying the original XS3 radio, any other suggestions anyone?
Old 08-11-2004, 10:47 PM
fantomas
My Feedback: (3)

I checked the high/lo nob and saw that it was stuck in the middle.
[X(] that can cause tranny damage..NEW LOSI TRUCK OWNERS MAKE SURE YOUR TRANNY IS SET AT LOW OR HIGH!!! MAKE SURE THE SELECTOR KNOB PRONGS ARE SET IN THE NOTCHES BEFORE YOU RUN!!!!!!