Community
Search
Notices
Losi Monster Trucks Discuss all Losi Monster Trucks (i.e. LST) in this forum. Optionally you may discuss this and all other MT's in our general MT forum.

A few questions for LST owners

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2004, 08:28 PM
mclassic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default A few questions for LST owners

I have a few questions after FINALLY getting my LST to run.

1. Has anyone cut a hole in their front windshield to get air directly to the engine head? Or, does enough air come in through the wheel wells?

2. What does the slipper do? What effects do adjustments have on the slipper?

3. What is your engine response like once you get your engine warmed up? Does it snap off the line? wheelies? etc. Does the slipper have any effect on response? Mine gets off the line pretty quick but does not wheelie.

Thanks.
Old 08-18-2004, 08:38 PM
MUDSHED

Default RE: A few questions for LST owners

1. I cut a hole right in the center of the windshield. More air is better than less air.
2. The slipper is for the resistance to the impact on torque that the engine puts out, to the clutch bell, to the spur to the tranny and so on. It softens the snap to the drivetrain. (Hope I explained that right, if not, someone please correct me). That is where you can tune it to your likings.
3. Once mine is dialed in, mine has a dragster take off. I can occasionally do wheelies in the grass. Then again, my mugen clutch and spring set up has alot do with it. And yes the slipper does have effect on the response.
Old 08-18-2004, 08:42 PM
jefx

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

1. I have cut a hole in the windshield, I always do. I recommend it to help keep the engine temps down.

2. The slipper clutch is just that, it slips. It helps control the amount of force directly applied to the drivetrane when the crankshaft clutch engages. Tightening the slipper adds to acceleration but also adds stress to the drivetrane, and the opposite is true for loosening it. The slipper also acts as a "buffer" between the engine and the tranny. Having the slipper fully locked will cause the engine's power to hit the tranny very hard and may end up stripping a gear or breaking a driveshaft. The slipper also helps reduce strain on the drivetrane when landing a jump.

3. Mine runs very snappy after it's warm. It'll pull wheelies no problem (in high and low gears). I have my slipper set at about 1/2 turns out from locked. The recommended slipper position is at 1 turn out from locked.
Old 08-18-2004, 09:10 PM
Jayphred

Half of windshield cut out. Slipper at half turn out. Does wheelies always when it gets enough traction. Grass is automatic wheelies, forward and reverse.
Old 08-19-2004, 12:51 PM
fantomas
My Feedback: (3)

i have my front windshield cut out, side windows cut out,and i cut the bottom portion of the tail gate out.. my slipper is set at the factory setting 1 turn out and i still pop wheelys in low and high!
Old 08-19-2004, 03:40 PM
creyc

1) No body mods done to mine, I like to think it gets adequate cooling as it is but being here in hot and humid florida I may need to trim the body a bit.

2) The slipper actually slips, that's it's intention and that's what it does. You can adjust it for whatever feel you like.

3) I wouldn't say it snaps off the line, it gets moving pretty quickly and it'll do wheelies in low gear but I've never come close to pulling one in high. My engine has been looked over by Losi who says it's perfectly fine so I think the people who can perform wheelies are using a different fuel or suspension setup. Drop it into low gear and it's a piece of cake though.