Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Monster Trucks > Losi Monster Trucks
Reload this Page >

My new LST2 and some questions to boot...

Community
Search
Notices
Losi Monster Trucks Discuss all Losi Monster Trucks (i.e. LST) in this forum. Optionally you may discuss this and all other MT's in our general MT forum.

My new LST2 and some questions to boot...

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2006, 06:54 PM
A.B.U

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: My new LST2 and some questions to boot...

[X(]
Alright Gotcha Jason. Stay away from Integy and hot racing.. stay awayyy from integy and hot racing

Well most of their things, anyways.
Old 02-22-2006, 09:21 PM
Jstoopsrr

O.K. So I am confused as to which one is best now guys...... lol

Lets say I go with these:

Do they fir right in to the diff case that I already have or do you need to buy a new case as well? It looks like it just replaces the plastic crap to me.

So, are these differentials a normal thinig to go out or not?

It's not like I was being overly hard on it or anything. I was even in low gear. I wasn't doing anything extremely stupid so I don't see how they can make such a big deal about them then they turn out to be ****.

Anything has to be better than this plastic stuff in them. I am gonna have to do some research and get something in there to do the job. I want to be able to beat the heck out of this thing when I am out playing. Now I expect these plastic suspension arms to go now and again. There are some new things my LHS is supposed to getting in soon that are almost the identical thing as in looks but it is made out of a different polymer and bends more than the stock replacement parts. The guy said that he has them on whatever he has and hasn't replaced them at all for over a year. He took one out of the pkg he had in stock for something else and bent it pretty good and it went right back to it's original shape immediately. Stuff like that I understand breaking but not stuff like this that is in the drivetrain. It should be build a lot better.

I am gonna sit down here in just a minute and make a list of stuff I want and need and start looking at different places to see where I can get it the cheapest and the fastest. I already know I am gonna miss this weekend out racing but next sat. I want to be able to play with it. So, I better get to it.

Oh and guys, Thanks for all your input here. This is how one learns. Reading and listening to each others opinions on items as such. You guys are great.

Thanks,
Jim
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ro41928.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	15.6 KB
ID:	413763  
Old 02-22-2006, 09:45 PM
SublimeJason
Banned

Heres some Info on the Nova diffs,
http://www.lstcentral.com/modules.ph...ewtopic&t=3147

I've never had a Problem with the Stock ones though... Your Look like they Cracked Around the Bottom??I've never seen that Before...

And,
http://www.lstcentral.com/modules.ph...ewtopic&t=3767
Old 02-22-2006, 09:50 PM
RCtruckRacer

The Nova cups fit right in the Losi aluminum cases. Although I have never broke a stock cup like you did, the plastic ones always ended up just like that HR crap aluminum in the previous picture.
If you want bullet proof: Get the RPM A-Arms and the Lunsford Titanium camber adjustment and tow adjustment turnbuckles, New Era or Team Bluestar C-hubs and carriers. You'll also want the Hardcore Racing chassis and decks. Make sure you have nice big spongy tires, and you might be able to jump a large house. If you want to go all out, you can get the FexTek titanium A-Arms instead of the RPM's.

Edit: Do you have your slipper tightened all the way down? That might explain why the diff tried to puke its guts out...
Old 02-22-2006, 10:02 PM
Jstoopsrr

Thanks Jason, I'm gonna read them here in a minute.

Racerx..... Dude, I haven't messed with the slipper but I guess I should check it while I have everything all apart. It is whatever they had it set at from the factory.

I am still a very Novice RC guy here so bear with me guys. I have a background in electrical engineering but did more of the full on Electrical/mechanical mods than anything till a couple years ago. I am always building stuff and modifying it so this is no different than anything else in my life. I will be working on it constantly and that fits in good with my tinkering nature. I just have to learn all the ins and outs about the RC world before I do too much.

I was looking at the titanium a arms tonight. $260 for set..... WOW! You would have to build your whole truck out of titanium to keep from demoliting everything else.

I guess my ideal setup would be to strengthen up all the other stuff in the chasis and leave the a-arms plastic but not these stock plastic ones. I would rather change them than I would anything else. They are really easy to change and can be done in 20 minutes on an extremely muddy truck with cold hands at that.

I got a lot of reading to do tonight thanks to you guys........ lol
At least I am learning even though my truck is broke.

Thanks,
Jim
Old 02-22-2006, 11:12 PM
fourwheels0
My Feedback: (7)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

by the looks of your truck your lucky that's all you broke. considering you were in low gear with probably 10lbs or more of heavy mud on the truck and wheels and tires. just think about the amount of stress the diffs went through trying to push 13lbs of truck and all that mud through the mud i'd say that's pretty damn strong.not to sound disrespectful but personaly i wouldn't complain but that's just me.
Old 02-22-2006, 11:20 PM
2DMaxLST!!

I've got about 33 gallons of LST stick time and I've never ruined a stock LST diff cup....... consider if a fluke until it happens again.

I did recently verify for myself that the Nove 7075 alum diff cups are bullet proof, spyder eruppted, I've only ruined 2 diffs in my entire LST history....

I will always visually check new spyders when I install them, I suspect this one was mis machined, it failed in less than a gallon but the Nova cup just shrugged it off with no damage.

Old 02-23-2006, 12:34 AM
pointblank

ORIGINAL: Jstoopsrr

I sent a nice LONG email to Losi along with a bunch of pics of the problem. I know it is only $11 bucks but that isn't the point. I am aslo going to get some spare parts in stock as well. I also found a complete part to replace all the crap that was broken. It is this complete piece.

Just call Losi and ask for Bill in service and tell him everything that is broken. He's got great customer service and will put your parts in the mail for you the same day.
Old 02-23-2006, 10:45 AM
Jstoopsrr

fourwheels......

I must be missin it man but I thought that is what this thing is good for. The top case had a lot more omud on it than that. Personnaly I think it should hold up to that myself. But that is just me. No disrespect taken bro. That is why we are here, to discuss stuff. Right?

2dmax, that is impressive looking....

Point blank, I sent an email and if I don't hear form them soon I will call him.

Thanks.
Old 02-24-2006, 01:14 PM
Jstoopsrr

OK, well I am on my way to Harbor Freight and I looked on there website real quick to see if they had it in stock and seen they had the Spray stuff as well as the dip stuff. The only reason I considered the spray stuff is because you can get it in clear. They only have the dip stuff in red which I am not all that crazy about personally. Is the spray stuff as good as the dip stuff?

I tried to use the search button but I couldn't come up with anything in the 20 minutes I spent looking.

I also ordered my Differential cup off of ebay. The place I ordered it from has free shipping and the prices are the same as in the book. Which by the time you order it from one of the other places on ebay and pay for shipping it was cheaper to get it from there.

I got the Bevel Gear Set from my LHS last night plus I put in a special order for another Diff cup thru them. I am going to put a small tackle box together of spare parts for my new toy. This will just be some extra parts to start it off with. I want to eventually have a complete diff assy so that if anything breaks while I am out I can stuff a few new parts on it and head back out so I don't have to call it a day and go home or watch others continue to play without me. That's just depressing.
Old 02-24-2006, 04:47 PM
SublimeJason
Banned

I've never used the Spray kind before,
But I think it would work Fine it you take your time and do a few coats,
(If its like the Dipp you can cut and peel it off if you mess up the first time)
Old 02-24-2006, 10:40 PM
Jstoopsrr

Well when I got there they didn't have the clear spray, only the black or the red. But they did have the black dip stuff so I bought it.

I haven't bought the stuff to thin it out. It says to use naptha. xylene, or toluene. I think I can get toluene at lowes so I will go look tomorrow. I need to pic up some more lumber too. My 2 1/2 year old little girl decided to jump on her bed and broke the boards under the bed. 1"x3" x3' or something...... Life as a dad I guess, it never stops. lol....... Wouldn't trade it for the world though.

Till tomorrow.........
Old 02-27-2006, 04:15 PM
Jstoopsrr

I am trying to put a list of Spare Parts together so I can make a nice little order and hopefully get a little bit more of a discount. I tried the search thing but it is about 1/2 useless or I can't do it right, one or the other....

Anyhow, what I want to do is have a lice little tacklebox setup with a few tools and spare parts so that when something breaks I have the stuff on hand to repair it without having to order parts or head to the LHS. I know I need a few simple things like Susension arms, diff case thingy, diff parts, blah blah blah..... ANyhow, I was sorta looking to see if someone else has put together a Spare Parts List. Anyone seen one? Or do you have some recomendations?

So far I have this written down:

LOSB2002 - F/R Suspension Arms
LOSB2257 - R&L Bulkheads & Diff Retainer
LOSB2201 - F/R Suspension Pin Set
LOSA6106 - 4mm E-clips
LOSB2151 - F/R Shock Tower & Pin Mounts
LOSB2102 - Steering Bell Cranks, Shafts, & Chassis Braces

LOSB3538 - F/R Diff. Bevel Gear Set
LOSB3537 - F/R Diff Housing

This is pretty much the parts I have broken already myself and stuff that looks like it may break.

I just don't want the crap I have now, A truck and no parts to fix it. It will be down for almost 2 weeks by the time I get the parts and time to fix it. TOTALLY NOT COOL.
Old 03-05-2006, 11:54 AM
Jstoopsrr

OK well I guess Noone is gonna help there so I'll just buy whatever breaks x2 and keep in a tackle box.

I got 2 diff cups in today from my LHS but forgot to pick up diff. grease. They don't open for a little bit today so I'll just have to call them to see if they have it in stock. I hope like heck they do. They don't carry all that many parts when you actually start looking. They carry a bunch of stupid stuff and a lot of that is out of stock now anyhow. I told the guy yesterday that I needed a few things and he wanted me to special order them. I asked him if he was gonna get the parts in stock and he said NO. He was just gonna order the part I wanted and none for stock. SO, I guess I am gonna stop shopping with him and find another place even if it is a long drive. I'll just have to look around. Maybe even buy off the net only if I find a good place. I ordered some parts off of ebay and still haven't gotten them so I am a little pissed about that. It was only a few bucks I sent but it is still the point of it. I sent them an email earlier today but I don't expect a response for a day or soish........

Anyhow, When you put the diff grease in to the diff cup, how much do you put into it? Also, on the LST2 is there supposed to be a rubber seal or not? Mine did not have one and the breakdown don't show one but there is one on the parts list. I have some silicone gasketmaker I use on oilpans and valve covers on reg. cars so I guess I'll use a little of that around the seams to keep any water from getting in.

I have the car tore down to the main plate almost and hopefully tonight I will be able to dip the Servo's so I can start putting this truck back together so I can get it back out and running again. Next time I will be able to clean it with a garden hose and not worry about it.
Old 03-05-2006, 12:08 PM
RCtruckRacer

I don't keep a parts list, I just keep a BUNCH of parts. I have a bit more since this pic

Old 03-05-2006, 12:14 PM
RCtruckRacer

Most of us use silicon oil in the cups where the spider gears are. The heavier the oil, the less diferential action you get. Use any standard lithium grease from an auto parts store for the ring and pinion in the cases. The dif cases don't get too much dirt in them, even without a gasket.
Old 03-10-2006, 04:32 PM
Jstoopsrr

LSTRacerX..... All I can say is looks good bro! You can tell you have put some serious money into this hobby.

I've been working my tail off but found the time to finally put my truck back together and clean it up. I got some parts in and put the diff back together. I ended up getting some thick ceramic grease for the rearend diff. I may be wrong with my thinking but I just think that in the rear a more positive rearend will be better in the turns when the other wheel comes off the ground. At least then you can control the truck instead of it just spinning with no traction. I tested it out today and it works out good for me so far. I haven't had it back on a dirt track yet but I did at least get to play for a couple hours in a huge parking lot. I even had a couple cops sitting at the side of the lot watching me for about 20 minutes or so.

I seen them pull up and stop then they got out of there car. I just acted like I didn't see them for a minute or so then I looked over when I drove my car that direction and they were pointing at it and laughing so I figured the hell with it I'll play even harder. They stuck around for a bit and left. This is an abandoned shopping complex in the middle of a big city, a nicer city at that. They are rebuilding it soon so My playground will get bigger when they tear up the building and stuff but when it is done I'll have to have another place.

Anyhow, enough rambling......

I gotta get.....

Thanks for all the help guys. I'll stop back in and drop off some pics while it's together and running this time.
Old 03-10-2006, 09:24 PM
bigbodychevy

A tip for a stand. From a savage Owner. There is a thread in the savage forum on this sight about making a stand out of PVC rather cheaply.

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_37...tm.htm#3746267

Also a pic of my last trip out we had a warm dry weekend day shortly after christmas. The LST in the pic is my buddie's 3 of the other trucks are mine and my sons.

Video of my sons first time driving his MT2 he is 6 years old.

http://media.putfile.com/jayfirstrun_new

Welcome to the hobby.
Old 03-10-2006, 10:01 PM
fusion_outlawz

I was looking at your picture and I notice you raised your lst the way I did before, but when I did that I really had a problem tipping over. When I lowered it, I could hit turns at full speed and not flip. I don't know if you have that problem, just thought I share it with you just in case you did.

Hey guys thanks for the warm welcome. I am just really learning how to drive this thing. I used to have an RC VW car about 10+ years ago. It was a used handmedown but was still worth $200-$300 back then. It was considered "off-road" but FAR from what this thing does. The off-road it was good for was a driveway and that was about it. I ran straight gas in it when I drove it. My uncle got it from Germany when he was stationed over there in the army and gave it to me when I was a teen. It was cool but then there was no place to get replacement parts nor extra's so I ran it til I couldn't patch it together and stuffed it in a box. As far as I know it is still in my basement but so outdated it needs to stay there. lol

I spent the day out playing like I wanted to. Well, Not like I wanted to but..... You know, It sucks when stuff breaks...

I was out at the BMX track and it was muddy as all get out and I had a blast. I ran 2 tanks thru it and decided to jump this one hill that was pretty big and it came down all wrong and broke the rear suspension arm. I brought the spare parts I had with me so I tackled it right there on the back of my car. I took my camera with me and took some pics of it there. I didn't get picks of it in action or the track due to more issues you are soon to hear about. Anyhow, I fixed it and MAN does it ever SUCK trying to work on a truck covered with 2" of thick clay sludgy mud. Luckily the town had installed a water fountain for the kids in the summer so I was able to wash off the 2 little pieces and the bolts I needed to. I think I am gonna buy a little sprayer to tote along with me on muddy days. You know them weed sprayers you can get that holds like 1 gallon, I think that would work great. Pump it up and spray it down real quick before you tear into anything.

Back out on the track I continued running the heck out of it figuring out how to handle it over jumps. Started out slow and working my way up. Just like a woman..... Uh hummmm......... Then it got stuck on the backside of this real muddy hill. I was like BULLCRAP! There is NO way this thing can get "STUCK" in the mud. I put it in reverse and backed it down the hill. After that I noticed it wasn't running right so I brang it around the track to me and now I only have front wheel drive. So I loaded up the truck and took it to the car wash to knock the mud off. My son was with me and he was covered from head to toe in mud. He was literally rolling around in it like a pig but he was having fun and not asking every 5 seconds if he could drive again so I let him continue at it. lol....

I haven't gotten the chance to go look at it yet. I am going to build myself a nice work area downstairs before I tear into it. That way I know I will have an area pretty quick.

I bought a dining room table last year and it had a damaged corner. The company sent me a new tabletop and told me to toss the old one. I did, righ tin my basement. They didn't send any legs so I went today and bought some 2x3's, not 2x4's, and hopefully tomorrow I will get them cut and mounted on to the table and hopefully tongiht I can find some plans for a stand for the truck. I also have 3 shoplights mounted together I am gonna hang up for some good lighting so I see all I need to see. So, Hopefully when it is all said and done I have the perfect little spot in my basement just for my RC stuff.

I have read a few things tonight and it seams like it won't be much to fix. At least one hopes huh. Never know until you tear into it. Well Here are a couple pics I took today, I didn't get any other pics than this. I was planning on taking pics of before and after but I was more worried about playing than anything, then I was pissed and just wanted to get out of there cause I couldn't play anymore.

Again guys, thanks for the warm welcomes. Seems to be a good community round here. That means alot.....

Jim

Old 03-10-2006, 10:16 PM
fusion_outlawz

Here is the link you can order the clear Plasi Dip;
http://www.quiltershusband.com/cgi-b...on&key=PLAS1PD

OK, well I am on my way to Harbor Freight and I looked on there website real quick to see if they had it in stock and seen they had the Spray stuff as well as the dip stuff. The only reason I considered the spray stuff is because you can get it in clear. They only have the dip stuff in red which I am not all that crazy about personally. Is the spray stuff as good as the dip stuff?

I tried to use the search button but I couldn't come up with anything in the 20 minutes I spent looking.

I also ordered my Differential cup off of ebay. The place I ordered it from has free shipping and the prices are the same as in the book. Which by the time you order it from one of the other places on ebay and pay for shipping it was cheaper to get it from there.

I got the Bevel Gear Set from my LHS last night plus I put in a special order for another Diff cup thru them. I am going to put a small tackle box together of spare parts for my new toy. This will just be some extra parts to start it off with. I want to eventually have a complete diff assy so that if anything breaks while I am out I can stuff a few new parts on it and head back out so I don't have to call it a day and go home or watch others continue to play without me. That's just depressing.
Old 03-10-2006, 10:28 PM
fusion_outlawz

That tool box you have is exactly the one I bought from ebay. Looks damn near like the same stuff you have too....lol

ORIGINAL: lstRacerX

I don't keep a parts list, I just keep a BUNCH of parts. I have a bit more since this pic

Old 03-11-2006, 02:44 AM
MBX5T Maniac
My Feedback: (-1)

http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-Losi-LST2-LS...QQcmdZViewItem

Hey man, if you want to, you can buy this. It has one diff, and the aluminum diff cup. And it costs only 30 bux. This guy is great, I've had many good experiences with him. But that's not my ebay account.
Old 05-17-2009, 03:59 PM
jonnymobil

i am having some problems with my hot racing center diff case,the blue ones.i am using it for my center diff in my  sportwerks.the problem i am having is the diff is leaking and i have not even used the buggy yet.it is leaking arround the seam of the blue case and the chrome bottom plate.those with the case will know what i mean.

my question,should i use some type of rtv to seal it?should a gasket be used?i am using one but when i opened it up the gasket was mostly dry,i am thinking the extra thikness of the gasket is not letting the sleeve set down tight enough in the bottom plate?

has any one else had this problem?