Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Monster Trucks > Losi Monster Trucks
Reload this Page >

My new LST2 and some questions to boot...

Notices
Losi Monster Trucks Discuss all Losi Monster Trucks (i.e. LST) in this forum. Optionally you may discuss this and all other MT's in our general MT forum.

My new LST2 and some questions to boot...

Old 02-20-2006, 12:54 AM
Jstoopsrr

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My new LST2 and some questions to boot...

Well this is my very first post here so don't shoot if I do anything you guys know is wrong. I read the posting rules stuff and all. I have been reading here a couple days and figured I would sign up since it seems like there are some very knowledgable peeps around here. One thing I have noticed is that information is spread out all over the place and it looks like some digging is needed to find the information one is looking for. However, I think any question one would have, this is the place to get the answer for it.

I've been a Admin or Mod on forum based sites for some time now so I know how you guys feel when some new buttmunch comes in and causes you more work. I'm not here for that so gimme a yell if anything I do needs fixed.....

I just bought mself an LST2 last week. All and all it cost me about $725 out the door with all the extra's and goodies. A little pricey but I have had my eyes on it for about 6 weeks and I like my toys so I went ahead and got it. I figured if I waited 6 weeks then I must have really wanted it huh..... lol. The truck itself was like $599 I think and I bought the big fast battery charger, which I didn't really need but I got it anyhow. I got gas, and a few other goodies and set off for the house. When I got it all home just like any kid christmas morning I was ready to play, thank god for dead batteries. I didn't get any locktite so I figured I would be OK until after I got it broke in since I wouldn't be doing anything stupid until after that. Anyway, I got it all charged up so that the next morning I could go out and fire this baby up and see what it is all about. The next day it was cold as all get out, like 10 degrees or some crap. I took the LST2 out to a big abandoned parking lot to attempt to break the engine in. I turned the engine over until the batteries in the starter was dead. I tried this and that and anything else I could think of. It was a sunday and the hobby store was closed so I couldn't give them a call and say "HELP" so I went home frusterated and charged the batteries up and after about an hour of warming up and cooling the heat out of my head I went out to the lot again. This time I finally got it fired up but it still wouldn't run right. I kept adjusting it till it ran the best I could get it to. I didn't even get a full tank out of it and it wouldn't tun anymore. Well, I cranked and cranked until the starter batteries were dead again so off to the house I went.

I played around with it on and off the rest of the day and thruout the night along with a few beers. I ended up finding out the Glow plug was shot. When I put it in the ignitor sometimes it would heat up and other times it would sizzle and not glow at all. So the next day I went and bought a couple extra glow plugs and some locktite. Well when I got home I was ready to play and not locktite crap up so I stuck the glow plug in and it started right up. I had to make some more adjustments since that day it was about 30 degrees warmer. I took it out to the lot and started out slow and took it around in a huge oval thru 3 tanks of gas. I never really did any playing but after I filled it up for the 4th tank I messed around a little but no jumping or high speeds. All I did was climb it over some parking blocks and some dirt hills thry had trees planted in. I knew I had to locktite stuff so I didn't want to mess it up. I went back to the house and figured now was a good time. Well, now didn't make it till the next day. But, I did notice that next day thet the tires were all loose. One was about to fall off so I went thru and locktited everything up the way I thought I was supposed to. All metal to metal parts got locktited just like I read. Well, then I read something about a washer, I am taking is in the engine. I am gonna make some phone calls about that on monday, if any place is open, if not I will call on tuesday. Monday is some kind of holiday.

I got to playing around with it at night the other night with my brother that was in town from the army for the weekend. Along with a few beers we set out to play. I had it out a couple times playing but not a lot nor all that rough. We were taking it over a 3' handicap ramp on the abandoned mall. It was fun but pretty close to the wall, I was worried about scratching it up more than anything. It still had that new pretty look to it. My brother wanted to test it out so I set the trans to slow and he attempted to jump the little ramp and ended up hitting the downspout that was wrapped with steel and ripped the front tire off. Only thing holding it on was the tie-rod. I liked to **** myself when I seen that. I was like, here goes another $150 bucks. I knew as well as I was sitting there that it would be well over $100. The next day I took the broken stuff off and figured out the parts I needed and made a phone call to the hobby store. I also realized that the rubber on the tires were breaking loose from the rims. I went and bought all the parts I needed which was like $25 bucks. Was I ever impressed. However, putting it all back together was a major pain in the ass. It took me like 2-3 hours to put it back together. It broke the upper and lower control arms and both sides of the differential casing. plus it bent up the matal things that hold the pins for the control arms. All I can say is have fun if you ever have to replace all that crap, I did NOT have fun doing it and I doubt you will either. I do need to find some plans on how to built a stand for my new toy so any links would be great.

I guess I have rambled on enough for now. I am glad I found this place and look foward to a new RC home here. I go by Jim so say hello anytime you want. I will be browsing as I can so keep your eyes open for me around the place. I will try to get up some pics of my truck and stuff over the next few days. I wish I would have taken some pics of it all broken but I was pissed and more worried about fixing it than anything. I look foward to having fun here and spreading any info I can.

Old 02-20-2006, 01:18 AM
PillowPants

Default RE: My new LST2 and some questions to boot...

Wow that was quite the post! Welcome to RCU! So, first off: It kinda sounds as if you cranked the needles a bit much while breakin' her in, ALWAYS adjust with 1/8th to 1/4th incriments at a time. Do you have a temp gun? It should be running in the mid 200 range, or a little lower (after break-in, that is). If you don't have a temp gun, i highly suggest you get one. I use[link=http://www.killerhobbies.com/Browse_Item_Details.asp/Item_ID/1010/categ_id/9/parent_ids/0,22,9/Name/Atomik_Micro_Temp_Gun_2_-_TMK200002]THIS[/link] one. Works great, and fairly cheap. Also, you may find that your LHS may not always have the parts/hop-ups you are looking for. So you might want to look into ordering online. I do it all the time, as well as many other people on here. The best I have found to be for LST parts/hopups are: Killerhobbies.com, HorizonHobby.com, A-MainHobbies.com, Towerhobbies.com, LosiPartsHouse.com, and StormerHobbies.com. Also you will find that most of the time, prices online are much better than prices at LHS's (by the way, when people say LHS, they mean Local Hobby Shop).

As for the stand, they are really easy to make out of just about anything! Just whatever you do, dont buy one of those $75 jobs.. I bought mine at the LHS for 'bout 25 bucks. I figured it'd take about that much in supplies at the home depot anyways, so figured what the hell.

About the washer issue, Don't worry about it. It was an issue that happened in the original LST Mach.26 engine, that was fixed after about 11,000 models. I wish that the mods would get rid of that sticky. It's a dead issue, and gives newcomers the wrong idea.. Well I think that pretty much covers what all you needed to know! Feel free to PM (Private message) me if you need some quick help, anytime!
Old 02-20-2006, 10:29 AM
Jstoopsrr

Hey Hamburgler, Thanks for the info bro. As for the lingo, I've been runnin forums for 6-8 years now so I cought it right off but thanks for making sure I knew. I am glad you pointed that out about the washer cause I was getting ready to start looking in to removing it tonight or tomorrow. That could have pissd a person off ya know. [:@]

As for the truck I got, it's # is LSTII000316. I still haven't gotten any pics as of yet. My truck is sitting there still on charge from last ight. I just rolled out of bed, I slept in late today as mondays are about all mine 1/2 the time. I do bailbonds and private investigating so my schedules and sleep times are just about as screwed up as it gets. One day I sleep at night, then a couple days I only get a couple naps then sleep during the day so I can, well you get the idea.....

As for ordering online I am not opposed to it but when I looked the cheaper prices and added in the cost of shipping there wasn't much of a savings so since my LHS the parts in stock I just went there.

I do have a temp gun, I missplaced it when I had it out the other day and can't seem to find it right now I think it is out in the trunk of my car still. It is a little bigger than that one. I used to run a few maintenance depts and needed it for several things so I got a good one. I forget what it is named and all but I paid like $150 for it a few years ago. I still use it quite often so I know it is still correct. I checked the temps a few times and I still haven't gotten it over 200, the highest it got was 180. So since it hasn't broken 200 should I wait before I go getting really crazy with it or not? It is a little warmer here today so I may get it over 200, we'll see.

Oh, and the stand........ My LHS don't carry them. He said he can't see selling them for $75-$100 when someone can build one for $15-$20. I said well do you have some plans then, he sorta laughed and said NOPE. So I guess I am gonna have to get the thinking cap out and come up with something. I have a 2'x2' board I have been using to work on the LST2 on that I would like to build a stand on so I can set the truck on with the tires off, or on for that matter but high enough the tires don't touch. I will start looking for some online so I can attempt to make a copy that will work for me.

Well, thanks for the welcome. I'm done with my first cup of coffee and my sone is ready to get the truck out and go play so I guess I need to get some clothes on. We have a huge BMX park close by but I am afraid with the kids being out of school it will be busy so I may not get to play on it but at least I can check it out. They also have a skate park there with all the bells and whistles for both of them supposively. I WILL find some place to play and get dirty today one way or the other. I'll get some pics while we are out today.
Old 02-20-2006, 10:38 AM
PillowPants

Just make sure you don't do [link=http://www.trendpimp.com/displayimage.php?p=886]THIS![/link]
Old 02-20-2006, 11:13 AM
pointblank

Jstoopsrr,

Welcome to the forum. This place is pretty cool, and you'll find a HUGE well of knowledge floating around here. You made the right choice by getting the LST 2. I have had the LST 1 for a year now and all I can say it that it rocks. There are some things you are learning right off the bat. Diff cases, get aluminum ones. A-Arms, to my knowledge RPM hasn't put out a set for the LST 2 yet, but get a pair when they do. Roll bar, probably a good idea to get one too. Again I'm not sure if there is one out yet for the LST 2. That should take care of the major weaknesses. Overall Losi did a great job on this truck. Enjoy man.
Old 02-20-2006, 11:45 AM
bentgear

Welcome aboard, grab a beer prop them feet up in front of the fire while the toes thaw out. First off, don't worry about that washer thing, it was a problem early in the LST production and the LST2 is a different engine. You are going through the "hard stage" right now. Not only do you have to learn to drive an RC vehicle so that it does not break everytime out, you have to repair the breaks it does have and learn to tune on a nitro engine all at the same time. It gets much easier with time and knowledge.

You are also correct in the storehouse of knowledge on this board, the search feature can be very good thing, but a little hard to get the most out of.

Once you get used to your truck I think you will find repair time drops with knowledge and you will look forward to working on the beast, minor repairs that don't cost much money anyway.

Keep the rubber side down and the screws tight. Enjoy it.

Ed M.
Old 02-20-2006, 11:02 PM
Jstoopsrr

Hey guys thanks for the warm welcome. I am just really learning how to drive this thing. I used to have an RC VW car about 10+ years ago. It was a used handmedown but was still worth $200-$300 back then. It was considered "off-road" but FAR from what this thing does. The off-road it was good for was a driveway and that was about it. I ran straight gas in it when I drove it. My uncle got it from Germany when he was stationed over there in the army and gave it to me when I was a teen. It was cool but then there was no place to get replacement parts nor extra's so I ran it til I couldn't patch it together and stuffed it in a box. As far as I know it is still in my basement but so outdated it needs to stay there. lol

I spent the day out playing like I wanted to. Well, Not like I wanted to but..... You know, It sucks when stuff breaks...

I was out at the BMX track and it was muddy as all get out and I had a blast. I ran 2 tanks thru it and decided to jump this one hill that was pretty big and it came down all wrong and broke the rear suspension arm. I brought the spare parts I had with me so I tackled it right there on the back of my car. I took my camera with me and took some pics of it there. I didn't get picks of it in action or the track due to more issues you are soon to hear about. Anyhow, I fixed it and MAN does it ever SUCK trying to work on a truck covered with 2" of thick clay sludgy mud. Luckily the town had installed a water fountain for the kids in the summer so I was able to wash off the 2 little pieces and the bolts I needed to. I think I am gonna buy a little sprayer to tote along with me on muddy days. You know them weed sprayers you can get that holds like 1 gallon, I think that would work great. Pump it up and spray it down real quick before you tear into anything.

Back out on the track I continued running the heck out of it figuring out how to handle it over jumps. Started out slow and working my way up. Just like a woman..... Uh hummmm......... Then it got stuck on the backside of this real muddy hill. I was like BULLCRAP! There is NO way this thing can get "STUCK" in the mud. I put it in reverse and backed it down the hill. After that I noticed it wasn't running right so I brang it around the track to me and now I only have front wheel drive. So I loaded up the truck and took it to the car wash to knock the mud off. My son was with me and he was covered from head to toe in mud. He was literally rolling around in it like a pig but he was having fun and not asking every 5 seconds if he could drive again so I let him continue at it. lol....

I haven't gotten the chance to go look at it yet. I am going to build myself a nice work area downstairs before I tear into it. That way I know I will have an area pretty quick.

I bought a dining room table last year and it had a damaged corner. The company sent me a new tabletop and told me to toss the old one. I did, righ tin my basement. They didn't send any legs so I went today and bought some 2x3's, not 2x4's, and hopefully tomorrow I will get them cut and mounted on to the table and hopefully tongiht I can find some plans for a stand for the truck. I also have 3 shoplights mounted together I am gonna hang up for some good lighting so I see all I need to see. So, Hopefully when it is all said and done I have the perfect little spot in my basement just for my RC stuff.

I have read a few things tonight and it seams like it won't be much to fix. At least one hopes huh. Never know until you tear into it. Well Here are a couple pics I took today, I didn't get any other pics than this. I was planning on taking pics of before and after but I was more worried about playing than anything, then I was pissed and just wanted to get out of there cause I couldn't play anymore.

Again guys, thanks for the warm welcomes. Seems to be a good community round here. That means alot.....

Jim

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Pm34768.jpg
Views:	4
Size:	86.9 KB
ID:	412472   Click image for larger version

Name:	Fa85720.jpg
Size:	95.8 KB
ID:	412473  
Old 02-20-2006, 11:32 PM
pointblank

Great mud man! If you want to keep things protected, and you do, read these threads. Clean up is so easy with plastidipped servos.

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_31...tm.htm#3119999

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_24...tm.htm#2427234
Old 02-22-2006, 12:28 PM
Jstoopsrr

Hey point blank, Thanks for sharing that. It seems like an excellant idea and I will be looking for some of that next time I am out. I may end up doing it while I have this truck completely torn apart.

I got my table built and the lights setup over it so I now have a good place to work and great light to see what I am doing. I still have a pound of mud stuck to it but as I take it apart it is coming off.

I lost rear wheel drive and I read it could be something very simple. Well, I couldn't pinpoint where it was coming from and I ended up tearing the rear differential out and finding it to be bad. I guess it has some teeth broken inside cause it only slips when I hit a certain spot and put a great deal of pressure on it. My question for this is; Should I tear the case apart and see what is broken or will losi warrenty it since I have only had it a week or so? I don't know if there is any kind of drivetrain warrenty but if this **** breaks like this in a week then it's not all that impressive.

I got some pics last night but I am on my laptop and don't have the means to uplaod the pics to this PC. So, I will get them up tonight. I am gonna make some calls to the LHS and see what the deal is and see what I should do. I guess I am just gonna tear it apart and fix the darn thing. I got the exploded view which is about crap but I guess I can figure out the rest. I am probably gonna clean the case up really good then tear it apart and see what I get into.

Any thoughts on this?
Old 02-22-2006, 01:21 PM
PillowPants

Well when I broke my MLST servos, Losi sent me 2 new ones free of charge! So i'm sure they'll hook ya up. Just sound as desprate as possible, and question the trucks reliabillity, works for me 60% of the time, all the time...
Old 02-22-2006, 03:10 PM
chowderhead72
My Feedback: (4)

ORIGINAL: TheHamburglar

works for me 60% of the time, all the time...
Made with real bits of panther so you know it's good........
Old 02-22-2006, 03:24 PM
Jstoopsrr

Yea Hamb. I think I am gonna contact losi Some how Some way. I went ahead and tore that differntial apart. It was just eating at me from the inside. I had to see what is was and I couldn't wait any longer. And this time I took a bunch of pics as well so I can send some to losi if I need to because this is just BullSH*T that this happened. These differentials are supposed to be bulletproof or whatever they advertise. Well, they are not only NOT bulletproof they aren't driveproof. It took me about an hour to tear this differential apart and get it all cleaned up. I wasn't rushing plus I was taking a bunch of pis. Actually I think there were 74 pics I uploaded when all was said and done. But anyhow, the plastic crap inside is what broke and caused everything else to shatter. The breakdown is pretty much too exploded to get a real feel for the differential because it shows every little piece and I am not sure all of them come apart without a small press and **** that I don't need to be doing anyhow. The part that exploded is "F/R Diff Housing pt# LOSB3537" It is some kind of plastic stuff. Well along with it a few other parts that on the drawing are a bunch of needed pieces. Both shafts inside that housing have chewed up heads on them and that comes out to like 8 parts or some crap. I hope they don't come in pieces but it only has one part #. It is called the "F/R Diff Bevel Gear Set pt# LOSB3538".It also stripped out another gear but it is listed under the same pt# so maybe it comes in a put together set. I'm not sure yet. The Diff ring and Pinion gear looked fine to me. Well, the one piece with the 2 bearings on it, I think is the pinion, it looks fine and the biggest gear in there, I think is the ring, looks fine as well. So, all in all right now it looks like I need the following parts to repair this:

LOSB3537 - F/R Differential Housing $4.00
LOSB3538 - F/R Differential Bevel Gear Set $7.00

That don't sound like much but the work behind it is going to be a PITA I can bet. I just hope those are all of the parts I need to fix it. We'll see.

Name:	Pn36190.jpg
Views:	3
Size:	40.3 KB
ID:	413532   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ni23040.jpg
Size:	53.3 KB
ID:	413533   Click image for larger version

Name:	Bg93895.jpg
Views:	5
Size:	55.5 KB
ID:	413534   Click image for larger version

Name:	Gz76089.jpg
Views:	6
Size:	41.2 KB
ID:	413535   Click image for larger version

Name:	Pa33250.jpg
Size:	40.4 KB
ID:	413536   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ja41059.jpg
Size:	56.9 KB
ID:	413537   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ln11362.jpg
Size:	51.2 KB
ID:	413538   Click image for larger version

Name:	Lj33196.jpg
Size:	42.9 KB
ID:	413539  

Click image for larger version

Name:	Bz48951.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	47.6 KB
ID:	413540   Click image for larger version

Name:	Jv96262.jpg
Size:	48.3 KB
ID:	413541  
Old 02-22-2006, 03:26 PM
Jstoopsrr

Oh yea and here is my new bench. I figure I would go ahead and toss it up as well.

I also seen that I broke the little things that the body sits on too.

Name:	Hf99463.jpg
Size:	55.9 KB
ID:	413542   Click image for larger version

Name:	Mh19009.jpg
Size:	76.1 KB
ID:	413543  
Old 02-22-2006, 03:50 PM
Jstoopsrr

O.K. Well I just called my LHS and they have the "LOSB3538 - F/R Differential Bevel Gear Set" in stock but they do not have the " LOSB3538 - F/R Differential Bevel Gear", they said it is on Backorder from Losi and won't be in until late next week sometime unless they get a statement again saying they are still out of stock. So, I guess I will be looking to order these offline or call and ***** at Losi to see what they can do for me. I was also going to order "LOSB3539 Diff Seal Set" but my LHS said he don't even stock them then went off talking about plastic housing where mine are blue and blah blah blah. He was friggen nuts so I hung up on him. I hate idiots that just blabber on for no reason and make no sense.

So, I guess I am out of commision for a couple weeks it looks. I think I am gonna order enought parts to make a complete new differential plus repair the one I have. That way if this **** happens again I will be able to unbolt one and put another one in and then fix the broken one. Plus I need to order a few other parts to keep in the basement for extra stock.

We'll see......
Jim
Old 02-22-2006, 04:12 PM
SublimeJason
Banned

Look on e-bay, They Always have Tons of LST parts...
This is just one E-bay store,
http://stores.ebay.com/Jennys-RCSpor...QQftidZ2QQtZkm
Old 02-22-2006, 04:15 PM
PillowPants

Just a quick FYI bro: Not only is it not good for your truck to sit caked in dry mud like that, but its only going to make it harder to clean the longer you put it off! Don't mean to sound rude bro but i did the same thing with my old t-maxx about 2 years ago and i let it sit dirty then would just go out and run it again and problems would start flaring up right and left from mud hardening on places mud shouldnt be hardened on!
Old 02-22-2006, 04:47 PM
Jstoopsrr

Sub, thanks for the link bro...

Hamb. I know it can only leed to problems. I understand that 100%. I know I should have cleaned it better but at the time I was cleaning it I wasn't sure what all I could get drinched and stuff so I figuered that since I had to tear it all apart now that I would clean it and do all I needed to then. I know I should have cleaned it better but I didn't. But thanks for setting me straight. lol..... I will keep it cleaner.

As I have it all apart this go round I plan on waterproofing the servo's, Cleaning everything that is now dirty, Locktitghting every single bolt and screw that I find (metal to metal that is), and getting everything ready to take back out. So that next time I get it muddy I can flip the top off and spray it down with a hose.

I sent a nice LONG email to Losi along with a bunch of pics of the problem. I know it is only $11 bucks but that isn't the point. I am aslo going to get some spare parts in stock as well. I also found a complete part to replace all the crap that was broken. It is this complete piece.

I found it on losiparts or whatever..... http://www.losipartshouse.com/servle...-fdsh-R/Detail

Hopefully I hear something back from Losi. If nothing else I see that I can get a complete differential from that ebay store for $25-$30. Which I may end up with one of them too. Spare parts only insure your not down too long. Maybe I need to build a spare truck. lol.........
Old 02-22-2006, 05:25 PM
A.B.U

Up grade your Diff cups.. to aluminum so they dont melt like plastic! also for extra durblitity.. you can shove some Sport Werks Tinis in there that are made for the Mayhem
Old 02-22-2006, 05:40 PM
PillowPants

ORIGINAL: AnotherBoringUsername

Up grade your Diff cups.. to aluminum so they dont melt like plastic! also for extra durblitity.. you can shove some Sport Werks Tinis in there that are made for the Mayhem
bro you got a link to those diff cups??
Old 02-22-2006, 05:43 PM
RCtruckRacer

[link=http://www.novarcproducts.com/lstdiffcup.html]THESE[/link] are the ones you want.
Old 02-22-2006, 05:46 PM
PillowPants

thanks man! ouch.. $25 a piece...
Old 02-22-2006, 05:52 PM
A.B.U

[link=http://www.killerhobbies.com/Browse_Item_Details.asp/Item_ID/602/categ_id/29/parent_ids/0,90,18,29/Name/Hot_Racing_blue_aluminum_diff_case_for_the_Team_Lo si_LST_-_LST1011CS06]OR these dude.. [/link]
They're blue.. come with more.. and 10 bux cheaper!!
Old 02-22-2006, 06:03 PM
SublimeJason
Banned

[link=http://www.killerhobbies.com/Browse_Item_Details.asp/Item_ID/602/categ_id/29/parent_ids/0,90,18,29/Name/Hot_Racing_blue_aluminum_diff_case_for_the_Team_Lo si_LST_-_LST1011CS06]OR these dude.. [/link]
They're blue.. come with more.. and 10 bux cheaper!!
Don't waste your Money on Hot racing diffs...there Alum Parts are soft...
Nova is much better If Alum is something your after...
I've never Had a problem with the stock ones after 19 Gallons??
Old 02-22-2006, 06:18 PM
A.B.U

Same.. but just over 2. I think Ill go with the Hot Racing cups though.. I mean at least they wont melt.
Old 02-22-2006, 06:35 PM
SublimeJason
Banned

Same.. but just over 2. I think Ill go with the Hot Racing cups though.. I mean at least they wont melt.
Don't post a Thread saying there junk after ya Get them.... I Told ya So Before ya wasted your Money!

http://www.lstcentral.com/modules.ph...ewtopic&t=2505

Name:	Yv65991.jpg
Size:	65.8 KB
ID:	413666  

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.