Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Monster Trucks > Losi Monster Trucks
Reload this Page >

foward only conversion the buggest turd ever packaged

Notices
Losi Monster Trucks Discuss all Losi Monster Trucks (i.e. LST) in this forum. Optionally you may discuss this and all other MT's in our general MT forum.

foward only conversion the buggest turd ever packaged

Old 03-25-2006, 05:32 PM
bauerbach

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default foward only conversion the buggest turd ever packaged

thought itd be a fun little project......

first off, the diagram they call instructions couldnt be less helpful if it tried.

2nd. they could have included the 4-40 1/4" screw that you need to salvage from the old setup. that .5cent screw is a pain in the ass, tiny head and its secured with red thread lock... sweet. that took an hour to remove.

3rd. the plugs. holy worthless batman. I sliced my finger open from the edge of the nail down to my first knuckle trying to push it in, slipped and rip right up my finger with a sharp edge of plastic. I now have a paper cut from freakin hell. the kind where it doesnt even bleed but you can pull it open and look down into the cut? yeah their fun. btw, how SHOULD you get the plugs in there? cause I havent yet succeeded. Im hoping someone can give me a tip before I get back from the hobby store so I can take care of the next thing. I saw some sort of trick for the top 2, involving a make shift expansion plug with a bolt washers and a peice of fuel tubing; is that just my best choice?

and lastly 2 new gears and they dont even consider giving you a little gear grease? that would make some kind of sense though wouldnt it?

in conclusion, this is the worst packaged conversion Ive ever seen. not so much as one word of instruction. what should have been a very very simple conversion become quite the ordeal.

so Im not a complete whiner, the BAC steering link went on perfectly and the instructions were quite easy to follow.
Old 03-25-2006, 07:36 PM
claudacio
My Feedback: (9)

Default RE: foward only conversion the buggest turd ever packaged

Man, sounds like you had a day like mine usually are in the RC department. LOL

Anyhow, screw the plugs I couldnt get them in either so I found 2 SHORT screws that were alot bigger than the 2 top holes and screwed them in and then used a small amount of clear silicone to seal it up. I would do this while the tranny was open and the gears were in place to make sure the proper clearance is there. When you reasemmble this thing you want to get some good grease and slap it in there all over everything, the more the merrier, any automotive grease is good. Make sure you get some on the ring gears going to the outdrives of the tranny. And also make sure to use the shims on all the bearings, I know the worthless instructions dont tell you that, and I do agree they are worthless.

On a sidenote, if you would like to get some more top speed out of your Fwd only kit and dont mind doing a little dremeling to the tranny case, swap the 2 gears leaving the Ti-Ni gear on the topshaft and the black one on the bottom. This gives you a lot more topend.

Heres a pic of the screws that I used in my tranny not that it really helps but you get the idea.

This is the grease I use in my diffs and tranny, you can get it at a motorcycle dealer
Old 03-25-2006, 08:47 PM
bauerbach

hmmm Ill shop around for a good screw to fit in there.
got a good selection in the basement, just all in little glass jars. gotta go digging.

thought about swapping the gears, but I plan to eventually get some of those "8-man pinions" I hear so much about, and I figure thatll let me raise the topend and switch back to get the low end with an easier swap of pinions rather than cracking the tranny every time or trying to find -2 pinions.
Old 03-25-2006, 08:58 PM
bentgear

Take just a very light smear of that grease and touch it to the sides of the plug. Put an allen wrench in the center hole. Insert plug in hole in transmission, push gently. They have to be tuff going in, don't want them popping out.

Ed M.
Old 03-26-2006, 01:00 AM
mikewoodkozar

Hey Claud, could i get you to squeeze some of that grease out on to something, so i could see how thick it is? I was contomplaiting rebuilding my tranny in a couple of weeks, because i thought that the grease i am using in my tranny might be a little too viscous (its phil wood gear grease for bicycles, very very nice stuff), but if i could see how thick your stuff is, i could save myself the bother! Thanks man.
Old 03-26-2006, 01:25 AM
gtsum

yeah, the instructions are ghetto, but the end justifies the means! I managed to get my rubber things in there, but they are a pain...screws would be better..

claudacio - nice choice of tires..got mine on today and managed to rip out the bearing in the slipper, destroy my tini gears, and shatter the rear diff - it would appear all because I did not loosen my slipper and those dirt hawgs have tremendous traction...much more so then the stockers....that was with the slipper at 3/4 out..next time it will be at 1 turn out!
Old 03-26-2006, 10:10 AM
benifur
My Feedback: (4)

I agrre the instructions could be more imformative. I got the plugs in with out much trouble (I must of got lucky). I use white lithium grease.
Old 03-26-2006, 12:34 PM
claudacio
My Feedback: (9)

ORIGINAL: mikewoodkozar

Hey Claud, could i get you to squeeze some of that grease out on to something, so i could see how thick it is? I was contomplaiting rebuilding my tranny in a couple of weeks, because i thought that the grease i am using in my tranny might be a little too viscous (its phil wood gear grease for bicycles, very very nice stuff), but if i could see how thick your stuff is, i could save myself the bother! Thanks man.
Its a little "juicy" when it first comes out, but once it sits for a second its just like any other grease, except you dont have to get your hands dirty. I used it in my LST2 tranny so far and I ALMOST feel like rebuilding my diffs, but not really. LOL

Side of container reads

"An advanced high melting point, lithium complex based synthetic racing grease. Pro RG2 is a multi functional high performance grease with exceptional water proofing properties, I deal for bearing and chassis lubrication and conditions of water impact."
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Yw69173.jpg
Views:	6
Size:	386.2 KB
ID:	433382  
Old 03-26-2006, 04:08 PM
bauerbach

well I finished... and only lost 2 peices. oddly the same 2 peices. the stupid cross bar thing that makes the brakes work and the spur gear slipper thing lock to the input shaft.

I got creative and used the old steering linkage brace. But now I gotta order them so I have the correct part, I just know Ive gonna have to buy the whole brake and slipper clutch to get those 2 peices.
Old 03-27-2006, 09:25 AM
mikewoodkozar

ORIGINAL: claudacio

ORIGINAL: mikewoodkozar

Its a little "juicy" when it first comes out, but once it sits for a second its just like any other grease, except you dont have to get your hands dirty. I used it in my LST2 tranny so far and I ALMOST feel like rebuilding my diffs, but not really. LOL

Side of container reads

"An advanced high melting point, lithium complex based synthetic racing grease. Pro RG2 is a multi functional high performance grease with exceptional water proofing properties, I deal for bearing and chassis lubrication and conditions of water impact."
Mazel Tov its a boy! LOL, thanks for showing me your turd, that is what i was looking for!
Old 03-27-2006, 01:24 PM
bauerbach

ok, its redeeming itself.

prior to upgrade, I wasnt getting the front off the ground. after the upgrade, I cant keep the front on the ground.
Old 03-28-2006, 10:23 AM
bentgear

ok, its redeeming itself.

prior to upgrade, I wasnt getting the front off the ground. after the upgrade, I cant keep the front on the ground.
And that has far more to do with your slipper adjustment when you put it back together than with the installation of the FOC. It takes a while to realize just how much effect this adjstment has on the overall performance of the truck.

Ed M.
Old 03-28-2006, 10:56 AM
2DMaxLST!!

I waited a long time for that big turd of a kit to be released and it has not disappointed me at all.
Old 03-28-2006, 12:45 PM
bauerbach

hmmm perhaps your right, I put it at 1.25turns out. instructions said stock was 1turn out though, so Id have expected it to be looser... but then again, I cant say I tested to see if it really was 1 turn out to start with.