Notices
Losi Monster Trucks Discuss all Losi Monster Trucks (i.e. LST) in this forum. Optionally you may discuss this and all other MT's in our general MT forum.

Battery Pack for my JR

Old 05-02-2006, 08:26 AM
gkram

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Battery Pack for my JR

Hey

Is there any battery pack or something besides my double A's i am putting in right now? Also how many volts are you suppose to have running?

Another thing is i put my glo plug in the wrench and and it sounded like there was gas coming from and and then i tried it to a new one and it just lit up and didn't make any sound at all. ?

Thanks for any suggestions.
Old 05-02-2006, 11:06 AM
bauerbach

Default RE: Battery Pack for my JR

JR makes 700mah pack that fits right in.

but the guys around here have way higher capacity packs I think, dont know where they are getting them.
Old 05-02-2006, 11:17 AM
gkram

OK Would you know where to find that?
Old 05-02-2006, 11:27 AM
Timmahh
Banned

YES, there are, as stated JR makes one to fit in. its about 50 bux, and is 700mah.... heres what i did, available at your LHS or at Tower Hobbies.
i went to the bay and purchased rechargable DURACELL AA @ 2500 mah rating, then you get some wire, the approrpriate end needed, some small metal strips, heatshrink and a soldering iron...
1 solder 4 negative ends with small metal strips to connect the 4 neg sides, add a piece of wire. preferably black to idicate negative.
2 do the same to the positive side of the other 4 batteries. adding a wire, preferably Red for positive..
3 put a piece of HeatShrink around the Negative end of your batts and light shrink into place. do the same to the positive side, but cut a hole in the middle of this end and pass your wires thru.
4 now cut a piece of Heat Shrink long enough to put all the batts into, and heatshrink it to the bottom of the battery pack, befor you do the top side you need to make sure your pack is aligned correctly and all batts are firmly together in the middle to make good contact. then continue to shrink it all together..
5 cut your wire leads to an appropriate length and add your end and voila.. a 2500mah rechargable battery pack..
the trick with JR is they have their wireing reversed. so if you get it done, and your TX wont power up. swap your neg and positive lead at the connector... but you should be good without doing that....

hth
Timmahh

battery line up... i will use simple keys to illistrate here.

______ ______
-[______]+-[______]+______+ this represents all the side views of your batt pack
-[______]+-[______]+
________________________-

your bottom and top view will be simply OO positive on top negs on bottom.
OO
Old 05-02-2006, 11:36 AM
gkram

That sounds like a cool idea but a lot of work. I am talking about the battery pack for the reciever or controler. I'll look for the jr pack unless any body has any more suggestions. Thanks
Old 05-02-2006, 01:22 PM
bauerbach

timmahh

couldnt you just put the 2500mah batteries into the stock battery holder like you would regular alkalines? but that they'd be rechargable?

from what I can see the stock JR pack is just the plastic holder with 8 rechargable batteries with some shrinkwrap over it.

looks like if I cut the shrink wrap open I could take the 8 batteries right out if I wanted.
Old 05-02-2006, 08:25 PM
tlabrc

You can go to NoBS batteries-Hangtime Hobbies and buy a Futaba 9c TX pack.They have them in capacities up to 2700mah.All you need to do is tell them that you are upgrading from a spring clip design and they will send you the female pig tail with the battery for free.Then all you have to do is open your TX and cut the spring clips off and solder in the pigtail. It really is a simple thing to do if you can solder.You can call them and tell them what you want to do and they will tell you everything.Their prices are real good and so is their service.
Old 05-03-2006, 12:29 AM
spinacz_nyc

i did put 8 sanyo rechargeable batteries ( 250mah) and i bought this dual charger and its charging them fast and they last very long so just charger 25 and 8 rech. batteries 15 $ so easy and so right
Old 05-03-2006, 02:01 AM
Timmahh
Banned

these are for your JR controller.

yes you can just put rechargeables in your packs, i have done that also for a few rcs...you can also buy spare batt holders for about 7 bux and get two of them...but making them now gives you a spare on hand to have charged and ready, i have 3 and i can litterlly run all day... without rechargeing a tx battery. as far as a rx bat, im not sure what these use, but the tmaxx and revo can use 5cell hump packs. theyre mah is up to 1400 now for like 15 or 20 bux... so.... its not alot of work its simply connectin 4 negs wiht metal, and 4 pos' with metal, then shrinkwrapping the 8 of them into a 4x4x4 pack. add wire and an end. takes like 10 minutes to make one up... parts on hand ofcourse.
for instance, i paid 25.00 for 12 Duracell AA Rechargable batts. i got 2. so 24 batts.. all duracells all aa all 2500 mah.. so 50 bux. i have about .03 cents in wire and metal strips, 1.79 for ends 3 ea and about .25cents in shrink wrap for 3 battery packs. so total i have about 60.00 and 30 minutes of time for 3 tx batt packs rated 2500mah and last about 4hrs with a full charge ea... you add it up.. 12 hrs a day for 60 bux, and rated for 1000 charges.... pretty damn chap compared to a set of reg aa duracells every 2 or 3 hrs.
Timmahh
Old 05-03-2006, 02:08 AM
Timmahh
Banned

thats possibly bauer..i ve not cut a stock jr pack, mine (JR XS3 Pro) came with just the 8 cell pack holder. to buy one at my lhs (the JR stock 700mah packs) were 60 bux each... online its 40 each, and thats strictly a 700mah. nothing bigger from jr available. so i improvised as simply as i could, and i couldnt be happier.. its really easy to do. and only take a very moderate soldering skill. ofcourse a cleaner solder joint will preform much better and give you less trouble, but as long as its a strong solder joint, your good to go. just dont get it too think on them, you still need it to fit into the battery compartment...my controller has the 9v type batt pack so thats a big bonus for me. as its so much easier to do a 9v over the regular connertors... not that they are hard, just need to be sure of your + and - positions...
Timmahh
Old 05-03-2006, 10:01 AM
bauerbach

wow, my LHS had it for 30 I think it was.

they wanted another 30 for the charger. didnt go for that one lol.

I do wish for something longer lasting. after a day of racing, about 40minutes, it went from a full charge(11.5v apparently...) to under 10v. and I think it dies out at 9v. so probably got an hour at best. meanwhile the regular energizers or whatever I had in there lasted WAY longer.
Old 05-03-2006, 10:18 AM
benifur
My Feedback: (4)

I use energizer 2500mAh rechargables they will last all day of racing. I've used them from the start. I run a m11 now and they last good in it too.
Old 05-03-2006, 11:18 AM
mikewoodkozar

I have a Futaba 3PK, but the situation is still the same, this is my pack and this is how i charge them. I simply put the GP2300's in the stock battery tray, then made an adapter to work with my TRITON. Works great, and if i charge overnight at .3 amps i usually get around 2900-3100mah. Last for a long time!
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ki19289.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	69.3 KB
ID:	455349  
Old 05-03-2006, 11:25 AM
gkram

I am just goin to get 8 rechargable batteries. Simple and easy. Do duracell or energizer last longer?
Old 05-03-2006, 11:28 AM
gkram

Where would you get that mikewoodkozar and that would probably last longer than duracell and energizer.
Old 05-03-2006, 11:48 AM
RCtruckRacer

I prefer [link=http://www.thomas-distributing.com/maha_2700_rechargeable_batteries.php]These[/link] over any other NiMh AA size. I have one set of 8 that will consistantly charge over 3100mah at a 1C charge.
Old 05-03-2006, 03:11 PM
gkram

What set did you get and what do you charge them with.
Old 05-03-2006, 05:15 PM
RCtruckRacer

I bought 16 of them, and I use a Duratrax Ice to charge all my batteries.
Old 05-03-2006, 05:45 PM
bigbodychevy

hold on I posted a thread on how to make one. Its in the radio forum ill go dig it up and link it here.
Old 05-03-2006, 05:52 PM
bigbodychevy

Here is how I did it I posted this a while back.

I used 2400MAH NIMH Venon cells.

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_37...tm.htm#3772103
Old 05-04-2006, 11:35 AM
DominLST

bigbodychevy - what charge settings are you using with those venom cells........I have the same but never seem to get a really good charge out of them with my charger. They seem to only last about two tanks before the volts drop off below 10.8 - Thanks in advance.
Old 05-04-2006, 05:07 PM
bigbodychevy

10.8 is plenty of strength My warning is set on my TX's to go off at 9.5 I shut them down at 9.

You can see my charger in the previous post. I get multiple runs out of my TX packs. The last week I got in a 4 hour bash session and 3 more 1.5 hours sessions before it dipped to 9.5. My cycle setting on my charger takes them down to 8 volts.