Community
Search
Notices
Losi Monster Trucks Discuss all Losi Monster Trucks (i.e. LST) in this forum. Optionally you may discuss this and all other MT's in our general MT forum.

The Dynamite MACH 427? Pro's/Con's

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2008, 06:58 PM
R/C Lightweight

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: The Dynamite MACH 427? Pro's/Con's

ORIGINAL: IL2mSturmovik

I dunno, but peak hp and rpms are just a piece of an engines power delivery.
Look at the OS28 vs teh Ninja/GRP 28
The OS makes more peak hp, but teh Ninja will run away from it
Why?
The power curve. It makes more power over a larger rpm range, which I will bet is the case with the Teal head 427.
I have had (actually still do) both variants, and the teal head is unquestionably stronger.
[/quote]

No.
Known differences:
Teal head has larger carb
Teal head has higher compression head button.
Teal head has different piston and sleeve.
And of course, the teal colored head, lol
Actually IMO the 427 has a harder "hit" in the power curve.
The LRP makes more power everywhere, but its smoother power.
Read my other posts in this thread again, friend Perhaps a good comparo would be the power characteristics of a 2 stroke 250 (the 427) vs a 4 stroke 450 motorcycle (the LRP)
Dude, I feel like i just went to "Nitro Engine School"!!! Seriously, I may have just learned more about intricacies with model nitro engines in your few posts than I have in about a million worthless other threads I've been reading. Thanks for sharing your knowledge and honest evaluations of the engines referenced above. Keep on posting, and I'll keep on reading. I'm trying to become like wise grasshopper !
Old 03-26-2008, 07:38 PM
Minkis815

What is the difference between the Teal and orange head anyways?
Old 03-26-2008, 07:41 PM
HpiDrifter420

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: Minkis815

What is the difference between the Teal and orange head anyways?
learn to read IL2mSturmovik already explained once in this thread....open your eyes
Old 03-28-2008, 12:49 PM
stevoreno007

ORIGINAL: Yub, yub, cmdr!

So a Orange to Teal Head conversion is just a new glow plug head and a new carb? (this ignores the cosmetic head change)

No.
Known differences:
So if I have a teal 427 (8ight RTR) and wanted to order say a replacement head button or any of the parts you mention above - how would I make sure to order the right one if they are the same part number?

Also, wouldn't compression just be adjusted with head shims? Why would they make two different head buttons for the same engine?(The parts lists shows two shims - a .1mm or a .2mm which likely accounts for any differences in compression between the two motors).

I am also very curious what the difference between the piston and sleeve on the orange vs teal motors - as I've just replaced my piston and sleeve, and don't know which one I have now!?

Part numbers are the same for the carb as well.

What I am basically saying is that the only likely difference between the teal/orange versions of these motors is the compression which is easily changed by changing the head shim which costs about $2 - 3. A thinner shim would result in higher compression which would result in more power (assuming head clearance stays within acceptable limits of course)
Old 03-28-2008, 02:44 PM
Sugafree

Here's some of 2D's Pics from lstforums........

Teal carb

Gold carb...

racing LSTNEWB's Revo with a 'stock' engine, priceless..

Old 03-28-2008, 02:49 PM
2DMaxLST!!

Part#'s for Dynamite Mach427 (Orange Head in LST2)
Head Button DYN0902
Piston Sleeve DYN0973
Crank DYN0985
Rod DYN0972
Carb DYN0909

Part#'s for LOSI Mach427 (Teal Head in 8ight's and Muggy)
Head Button LOSR1021
Piston Sleeve LOSR1063
Crank LOSR1030
Rod LOSR1028
Carb LOSR1064
Old 03-28-2008, 02:51 PM
2DMaxLST!!

Great minds think alike!!
Old 03-28-2008, 05:15 PM
stevoreno007

Well that settles that! Curses! I just ordered a bunch of the wrong parts for my engine!

What is the difference in the sleeve and piston?
Old 03-28-2008, 08:59 PM
full maxx

ORIGINAL: stevoreno007

ORIGINAL: Yub, yub, cmdr!

So a Orange to Teal Head conversion is just a new glow plug head and a new carb? (this ignores the cosmetic head change)

No.
Known differences:
So if I have a teal 427 (8ight RTR) and wanted to order say a replacement head button or any of the parts you mention above - how would I make sure to order the right one if they are the same part number?

Also, wouldn't compression just be adjusted with head shims? Why would they make two different head buttons for the same engine?(The parts lists shows two shims - a .1mm or a .2mm which likely accounts for any differences in compression between the two motors).

I am also very curious what the difference between the piston and sleeve on the orange vs teal motors - as I've just replaced my piston and sleeve, and don't know which one I have now!?

Part numbers are the same for the carb as well.

What I am basically saying is that the only likely difference between the teal/orange versions of these motors is the compression which is easily changed by changing the head shim which costs about $2 - 3. A thinner shim would result in higher compression which would result in more power (assuming head clearance stays within acceptable limits of course)
the reason the mills are different is the gold head goes on a 2 speed and the blue goes on a single speed with close to the same speed (mph) so the blue needs more of a kick to get it going faster...all i know is the blue head makes my lst2 fly, i mean if i were to race a gold head with everything else the same the gold would get smoked big time ...i was really impressed with the gold head when i first got my lst2 then 8 gallons later i bought the blue head off ebay as my truck has blue accent and i wanted the blue head to go along with it i was stunned at the increase of power and acceleration and its only been about a gallon and everybody says the mill starts running good at a gallon and a half so when this one goes out it will be a hard choice between the blue head and a lrp 28 spec 3
Old 03-29-2008, 10:24 AM
stevoreno007

I've answered my own question about the difference between the sleeve/piston betewen the teal/orange versions of the 427.

This may already be explained in another thread and this is basically common sense, but the ports are indeed larger on the teal head sleeve (LOSR1063) than they are on the orange head sleeve (DYN0973), especially the exhaust port and the two front intake ports. The other 4 holes seem very similar in size but are shaped slightly different. I'm comapring the two in my hands side by side right now.

In addition to the larger carb and higher compression head button, this is another obvious reason the teal version produces more power.

Now I have to decide whether I want to return the piston and sleeve I have (orange version), or whether I might like the slighly lower power and higher fuel economy.

I'm racing my 8ight buggy but not super competitively (just some informal racing with some local guys) and I've heard that the teal 427 can be too torquey for 1/8 buggy racing so this might tone it down just the right amount?
Old 06-23-2008, 01:12 AM
shadowtech
My Feedback: (1)

Haven't seen the internals of the 427, so I was wondering if anyone knew if there is any conflicting difference between the Dyn 26 and the 427 (teal) crank case and rod?

Looking at possibly doing a retrofit conversion on a 26 if the button/piston/sleeve from a 427 (teal) will fit.

Thanx
Old 06-25-2008, 11:06 PM
stevoreno007

These other dudes are the experts - and I learned a ton from reading the posts they provided. Here is a quick summary of what you need to know:

If by crank case, you are referring to the sleeve, then the difference is that the teal version has significantly larger ports, which is one of the reasons the teal version produces more power. I compared each of them myself, side by side, when I ordered the wrong replacement parts for my 427.

(If you are actually referring to the engine case - then it wouldn't make sense to upgrade a .26 - just get a 427 on ebay for $99)

The only difference I was able to visually discern between the two connecting rods is that the 427 rod has larger oil/cooling holes.

As for the head button, look at the pictures below. The teal version is taller = higher compression

Finally, and also confirmed in the pictures below, the teal 427's carb has a larger inside diameter. More air = more power (assuming the motor can handle this higher volume, of course)

Since you couldn't get a sleeve, rod, head button, and carb for much less than $99, It may make sense to just get you a teal 427. It is an extremely powerful motor for the money.
Old 06-29-2008, 10:40 PM
shadowtech
My Feedback: (1)

sorry, my Dyn 26 isn't the Orange 427, it's an original Blue head Mach 26, 7 port mill, my big question was about if the con rod is same/similar then I shouldnt need to replace it, and if the piston/sleeve is same size but with better porting then I would just drop the Losi 427 (teal) piston/sleeve set in. 40$ for a basikly new engine with a lil more overall performanse.

This is of kourse an idea for when my piston/sleeve finally give way, so no biggy if it wouldn't work
Old 01-14-2009, 02:44 PM
r1nsho

ok so i know this thread is 6 months old but I have a silver head. It came off an 8ight t. i dont see any teal? teal is blue right?
Old 01-14-2009, 02:56 PM
MiamizFinest

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: r1nsho

ok so i know this thread is 6 months old but I have a silver head. It came off an 8ight t. i dont see any teal? teal is blue right?
yup
Old 01-14-2009, 06:06 PM
SmugR

ORIGINAL: r1nsho

You have the teal head, it looks silvery blue ish, but its what is referred to as the teal head. When I got mine I wondered if there was a 3rd variant but no, you have the right ONE!
Old 01-14-2009, 10:30 PM
r1nsho

thats what i wanted to hear. Has anyone done any mods to the motor? Any porting. I read about motors that are done up by the the pros and wanted to know if anyone has done any them self or have had them done by someone else?
Old 01-16-2009, 12:05 PM
r1nsho

ok so im taking mine apart to clean and check everything out. how do i remove the con rod from the crank. or do i pull the wrist pin to remove the con rod and crank? please help. ive got it apart on my bench and want to clean it out to make sure i didnt knock any dirt into it. Thanks so much. I need some clutch servicing info too.
Old 01-16-2009, 05:46 PM
full maxx

you have to slide the sleeve out to remove the con rod/piston from the crank ... use a tie wrap thru the exhaust port and rotate the flywheel until you can get the sleeve out , don't forget to remove the tie wrap and DO NOT use pliers to pull the sleeve out or you will ruin it , pull it out by hand also note the position of the sleeve and piston before removal cause it can only go back the same way
Old 01-20-2009, 01:15 PM
r1nsho

can i run a turbo plug in my teal 427?
Old 01-20-2009, 01:22 PM
HerrSavage

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

No.
Old 01-20-2009, 08:47 PM
[email protected]

the mach IMO is the best stock engine in a rtr truck. No problems for me and I love this engine.
Old 01-21-2009, 01:08 AM
ThunderbirdJunkie
My Feedback: (3)

ORIGINAL: shadowtech

sorry, my Dyn 26 isn't the Orange 427, it's an original Blue head Mach 26, 7 port mill, my big question was about if the con rod is same/similar then I shouldnt need to replace it, and if the piston/sleeve is same size but with better porting then I would just drop the Losi 427 (teal) piston/sleeve set in. 40$ for a basikly new engine with a lil more overall performanse.

This is of kourse an idea for when my piston/sleeve finally give way, so no biggy if it wouldn't work
Just test fitted Our 427 parts into a mach 26 case, and yes, all of it will work.

However, just use the p/s, button, and carb, don't bother w/the crank because the crank is identical aside from the "nub" for the OWB being smaller on the 26, which makes it easier to adapt to an HPI rotostart.

Thanks

ORIGINAL: [email protected]

the mach IMO is the best stock engine in a rtr truck. No problems for me and I love this engine.
We thought this until We ran my M427 powered Savage against my service manager's 100% BONE STOCK Savage X4.6. with the Savage x4.6 and the stock plastic pipe vs my 053 piped M427, it was a close call in a drag race...and he's still running crap stock clutch shoes.

Now before somebody complains about bringing Savages up in a Losi thread...We were only doing it to illustrate the fact, because both trucks are Savages, similar weight...and like We said, it was a close call in a drag race...and OURS puts the power down a LOT more effectively, and is running 15/52 gearing, vs his 17/49 stock gearing, and it still slaughtered Ours out of the hole. the low-end torque and midrange of the F4.6 is very impressive, and it will be woken up with an 053 pipe.

Basically...the F4.6 Savage engine is no slouch, and should be considered if you're upgrading your Aftershock engine on a tight budget.
Old 04-02-2009, 03:57 PM
madmaxx1

thnx for this awesome info! i just rebuilt one using the dynamite P/S and was thinking of adding the button from the teal head for a lil' compression boost and running 25% nitro. i'll port the sleeve and swap in the new rod a lil' after break-in is complete....

are there any other carb's that are known to fit this motor but give an option for different venturis? also would i need to use shim's with the 25% nitro and higher comp button?

what pipe's is everyone using with these motor's and how is performance/runtime? this is going in a matrix buggy and currently runnin' an OFNA 063 i believe....

many thnx
Old 04-02-2009, 07:49 PM
Fordtrucks96

Quick question.... Whats the difference between the 427and the 454? Wich is better, and what has more power? Thinking of an upgrade for my Aftershock. I love power!

Thought ide ask...
Thanks.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.