Community
Search
Notices
Losi Monster Trucks Discuss all Losi Monster Trucks (i.e. LST) in this forum. Optionally you may discuss this and all other MT's in our general MT forum.

Basher to Racer(maybe..)

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2008, 02:54 AM
HerrSavage

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Basher to Racer(maybe..)

I'm thinking of modding my LST2 in a more racer-ly direction.. Right now it's a pure basher - New Era rollbar, RC Raven springs with 35 or 40 wt(?), Muggy wheels, etc.. I've also never done like any maintenance on it.., except maybe replacing fried clutch bearings and servos..

Anyway, I got a set of new Dirt Bonz(the Muggy wheels SUCK on a track..), and need to find a cheap set of rims for them. So, first question, 1.) offset MT rims, or non-offset?

Next, 2.) of course I'll take the roll bar off.

3.) I've had the BAC steering link since I bought the truck, but never put it on. So that's an obvious mod I guess..

4.) I also have the FOC kit, but now that I've got probalby four gallons on the tranny, I think I'd prefer to just get a new Aftershock tranny than mess with dremeling tranny cases, etc.. Question here is, is just dropping the AF tranny in really that straightforward a solution?

5.) I want the HD chassis plates anyway, as mine are all mangled up..

6.) I guess I'll put a wing on(I have one..), but they seem to break so easily, and just add extra weight.. Without the rollbar though, maybe it'd be nice protection..

7.) I also happen to have 2x Muggy shock towers and shock mounts.. ??? Don't know if I want to go there though..

Anything else?

Thanks..

EDIT - I DO have a set of non-offset LPR Crimefighters...

Old 07-19-2008, 08:04 AM
raze44
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Basher to Racer(maybe..)

I dont think you need a new transmission, just install the FOC. If you have the aluminum shock bodies, than put plastic aftershock ones on, or put the muggy parts on and get the muggy shocks. Get 17mm hexes because most rims use that hex size. The LST wing does break pretty easily, but it acts as a bumper when you come down on it hard, and it looks really cool. If you are going to buy new chassis plates I would either replace them with stock ones or Dynamite anodized red or blue ones (60$ for 6 plates), or if you are hardcore go with carbon fiber plates from xtreme racing (130$ for 14 pieces). In my opinion, the Losi HD plates seems to be too much money for the little difference it makes.
Old 07-19-2008, 08:41 AM
CBM Racing

forward only conversion is easy to do and no dremeling required, unless you do the gear swap, and maybe not even then(mine didn't need any dremeling). Ditch the roll bar, use the wing. It does break screws and twists out of shape easily, but better the wing than the fuel tank. Use the bac link as you already said. I suggest the lunsford turnbuckles, they are indestructable. For wheels/tires, see what others are using on the track you will be using. If you don't have it yet, get the dynamite engine brace, saves headaches and stripped gears later. Chassis plates are up to you, but not sure if c/f plates are worth it or not. Other than that, it's mostly setup, as in diff lubes,anti roll bars, shock oil and springs, ride height etc... The lst2 is such an awsome racer as far as monsters go, it really don't need much other than practice and tweaking.
Old 07-19-2008, 02:35 PM
Parputt537

I am not a racer by any stretch of the imagination, but have had my stock LST2 on a track. To me the truck handled pretty sweet for a MT. Don't see where you would have to do all that much modification to make it a contender.
Old 07-19-2008, 07:24 PM
raze44

Its not so much that a stock LST2 is a bad racer, but it is a little hard to keep up with all of the other guys with MTs that are set up just for racing. But no, you dont need to spend an outragous amount of money to make it raceable, but it is nice to have an ouragously expensive race truck.
Old 07-20-2008, 12:51 AM
HerrSavage

Dumb question I guess, but where should I start in order to lower it?? Back to stock springs?
Old 07-20-2008, 11:58 AM
raze44

If you wanted to make a big difference in height, do the muggy suspension conversion, it will lower it because the muggy shocks are shorter. Other than that, there isnt much to lower it with the stock suspension.
Old 07-20-2008, 12:02 PM
HerrSavage

I'm kind of disinclined to do a Muggy conversion just now(even though I have Muggy shock towers and shock mounts just laying around..), cuz I don't think I'll be able to race all that much, and might just want to go bash depending on what comes up.. Just want to sleek it down a bit.. Ride-height-wise, just want to flatten it out some.
Old 07-21-2008, 01:37 PM
nitronut911
My Feedback: (2)

losi's softer springs might help.
Old 07-21-2008, 05:52 PM
Super Mud

You can put shock limiters in the shock body- put fuel tubing over the shock shaft on the part that is inside the shock body and under the piston. this will stop the shock from extending all the way.
Old 07-22-2008, 01:24 AM
HerrSavage

The softer springs for racing are the white ones right? I think for wheels I'm gonna take the Hyper ST Pro set, which I think have mimimal offset. I have the 17mm Mugen hexes already, but could somebody post a link to the shims I need, or just tell me the size?

I still don't know if I want to do the FOC..., but I guess I'll do the BAC in the next days.. It's a simple install right?
Old 07-22-2008, 08:20 AM
raze44

I think that the stock Black aftershock springs are the softest.
Old 07-22-2008, 11:21 AM
Sugafree

Losi springs go like so,

White = 4.0
Silver = 5.0
Black = 6.0
Yellow = 7.4
Old 07-23-2008, 12:41 PM
raze44

You can also replace the shock oil for lighter weight.
Old 07-23-2008, 05:34 PM
757no1fitter

I think that they muggy tires hook up pretty good on the track.
Old 07-23-2008, 06:26 PM
2DMaxLST!!

It must be very track dependent, I ran one qual with the stock muggy tires and wheels on my LST and immediately sold them. They are extremely heavy and had so little traction I would have sworn I had a blown diff.
Old 07-23-2008, 11:51 PM
HerrSavage

Very much so.. The Muggy wheels grip better than the stockers on like grass, or I can imagine maybe a thicker, wetter kind of dirt.. But for a typical hard packed dry track, they do totally suck.. I've run on two different tracks with them now, and it's like break-dancing.. Just spinning around and around...
Old 07-26-2008, 05:22 AM
HerrSavage

Well I just read through the BAC steering link instructions.. Sound pretty involved.. So I don't know... Is it really all that??

Secondly, I was wondering, if I run truggy tires(once I track down some 8 x 10 x 0.3 shims..), should I also use this 8-mans +2 pinion with threaded clutch bell I have laying around(bought used, never ran...)??? Even with the Muggy wheels, compared to stock, I notice a loss of top-end..

Right now, I think the only thing I'll do for this race I want to go to is run truggy tires(non-offset LPR Crimefighters..) and remove the rollbar.. Things like the BAC link and FOC kit I would prefer to do once taking the entire truck apart becomes necessary... Both seem to require drilling and/or dremelling, and that puts me off.
Old 07-28-2008, 05:15 PM
HerrSavage

Sssooo... Finally got my hands dirty..

17mm conversion is now done, after finding some shims today.. I think tire-wise the LST2 is gonna get hand-me-downs from the Hyper - at least for starters.. Seems like a nice amount of offset..

Also took the roll-bar off and put on a new wing kit(heavily zip-locked - ghetto but seems to have worked on my Muggy..) With all the pre-load taken out, it feels about right to me with the RC Ravens, but still, it's not slammed down..

The CP2.0 looks too big and boaty.. - so I'm goin' old school for now..

Now I guess with these even smaller tires I'll have to worry about the shift point - again... Eventch I need to put that +2 pinion on I guess to get some top speed back..

And with the Hyper with its new shoes..

Old 07-28-2008, 07:01 PM
raze44

I love that red illuzion body.
Old 07-29-2008, 01:09 AM
HerrSavage

If I would Muggify the LST2, it would fit three of my trucks: Hyper, Muggy, LST2...
Old 08-09-2008, 04:34 AM
HerrSavage

Whuddaya reckon - stock Hyper ST Pro rims with 5mm offset(I think.. In any case, minimal offset..), or Crimefighter LPR's with no offset??.. The truck almost looks weird with non-offset, like too narrow.. The track is quite small.. I'll try to find a pic of it.. If I go to this race 2moro, I'm not gonna have very much time at all for warm-up, set-up adjustments, etc.. Also signed up for truggy.. All the prelim stuff is today, but I have to work.. Also, with these new Mugen 17mm hexes, should I also threadlock the nuts?? If I do that 2nite, need to decide on a set of race tires... Thanks..

Old 08-09-2008, 04:43 AM
HerrSavage

The track:

Old 08-10-2008, 03:52 AM
HerrSavage

Well I've gone and won an auction for an Aftershock transmission.. So there's my FOC..

Now I'm thinking about bearings.. Except for the clutch, I've never replaced any..(year and a half, 5 gallons maybe..) I think I remember reading 2D replaces his every week or something.. (), but seriously..., I guess I should get some standard bearings for all the hubs? BTW, what do you guys use to lube your wheel bearings? I've never lubed anything on any of my trucks, to be honest...[X(]
Old 08-10-2008, 10:08 AM
2DMaxLST!!

That narrow offset with give you really quick turning at the expense of stability but it might just work on that smaller track as long as you don't traction roll in the corners.

I do replace my bearings often (not weekly ) and I never lube bearings. You need a dozen 8x16x5mm rubber sealed bearings for the LST and 4 15x21x4's.

avidrc.com is great for these type of bearings.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.