Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Monster Trucks > Losi Monster Trucks
Reload this Page >

WARNING DON'T FIX LST XXL DX3S Scroll Button Repair NO GOOD!!!!

Community
Search
Notices
Losi Monster Trucks Discuss all Losi Monster Trucks (i.e. LST) in this forum. Optionally you may discuss this and all other MT's in our general MT forum.

WARNING DON'T FIX LST XXL DX3S Scroll Button Repair NO GOOD!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2009, 11:54 AM
bigblock454XXL
My Feedback: (-1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default WARNING DON'T FIX LST XXL DX3S Scroll Button Repair NO GOOD!!!!

I absolutely Love the LST XXL. I was bashing with an Associate MGT 8.0 and there wasn't much of a difference. I think the 8.0 has more torque where as my 4.5 has more horse power. Also I heard the scroll button is a weak link on the Spektrum DX3S and found first hand how it feels to have it break at a R/C Event. I tried very hard to be careful and to be easy on the scroll button. Imagine sitting at a local R/C track for 7 hours at A Hooters Outlaw Tour Race, Putting my car on the track for the Main race and adjusting the travel of the steering for my car and the scroll button breaks. My heart sank to my feet. I finished second place but it was a different feeling knowing the button was broke and controlling a car that was not handling well. I just finished fixing it this morning. I took an old allen wrench and filed it down to fit the scroll mechanism then cut it off about 3/4 inch. The scroll button itself I drilled out the center a size smaller then the allen wrench and push the allen wrench in drilled hole then reinstalled it. I would imagine this would void any warranty that is availible but I don't see myself sending it in to get the same radio again knowing it'll break. I will take my chances. Unfortunatly I have 3 cars that I control with this radio so the stress on the button is magnified with each vehicle. Anyone else have a better way of fixing this please respond.

AW CRAP!!!!! HEY I hope I can get this warning out in time. PLEASE DO NOT FIX YOUR DX3S SCROLL BUTTON!!!!!! If your scroll button broken call Horizon Hobby 1-800-338-4639 and make a claim on your warranty. I fixed my scroll button with a allen wrench but now the scroll mechanism has broken from the circut board!!!!! Which means I'm SOL!!!! I'm going to keep an open mind and call them first thing monday morning and see what they can do for me. I really like Losi and Spektrum and would like to continue giving them my bussiness. Hopefully we can work with each other.

I feel Really bad if I've missled anyone into thinking they should fix their own Scroll Button. What I thought was a good idea turned out to be a bad one. Unfortunately I was Trying to fix a weak spot the Spektrum created. A few things can come from all this,

1.)They recall this item,
2.) They offer to fix it with a more durable part,
3.) They risk losing their current customers, us, to other popular makes of radio's,
4.) I dig a hole and throw my XXL and DX3S radio in it, kiss my G/F and kids goodbye and then jump in the hole on top R/C stuff

Shucks I thought I had it licked! Like Wile E. Coyote, I'm back to the drawing board.
Old 03-22-2009, 01:25 PM
dacaur

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: New LST XXL DX3S Scroll Button Repair

That sounds pretty good to me. so what exactly broke?
Old 03-22-2009, 01:55 PM
bigblock454XXL

There is about 1/4 inch of a piece of molded platic that is shaped like a allen wrench that sticks out of the right side of the scroll button fits into the scroll mechanism. It broke off from the scroll wheel. Once I took it apart I can't believe Spektrum didn't have it made from metal or made it bigger so it would be stronger. It's about 1/16 in diameter, very chinsy.
Old 03-22-2009, 03:57 PM
ARDV8

Might be worth you doing a quick write up with photos if this is a weak point
Old 03-22-2009, 07:19 PM
NitroVette

What's sad is that it's a decent radio and Spektrum ( who MUST monitor forums) hasn't addressed it yet by means of a recall or do it yourself kit with an improved roller.
Old 04-07-2009, 12:29 PM
Switch_639

can you post pics of your fix?
Old 04-07-2009, 12:35 PM
bigblock454XXL

Yes I could. Your choice, do you want pics or a video? I could do pics and have them posted within a couple hours or I could do a quick video. The video may take longer but I could explain in words as I go along. Let me know asap and I'll get to it!
Old 04-07-2009, 12:36 PM
Switch_639

video would be smooth!!! thanks for all the effort if you do it...
Old 04-07-2009, 12:45 PM
bigblock454XXL

Hardly any effort, but you are very welcome! I do it for the love of the hobby. Gimmee a couple hours and I'll have it posted for ya. I'll get started at about 2:15 PM. For me in Warren, Pennslyvania, USA the time right now off my computer is 1:47. Peace out!
Old 04-07-2009, 12:57 PM
Switch_639

sweet man! can not wait...
Old 04-07-2009, 01:51 PM
TnRCguy

Yeah, make the vid bigblock! Mine finally broke the other day so I need to fix it.
Old 04-07-2009, 02:04 PM
Switch_639

so you were waiting for it to happen?
Old 04-07-2009, 02:22 PM
bigblock454XXL

Me? For it to break? Yes, I was. Knew it would break and knew how to fix it. I love Spektrum technology. I can bind 2 different brands of receivers to my radio. Including Spektrum I can bind 3. Losi, JR, and Spektrum. Uploading vid now on youtube.
Old 04-07-2009, 02:30 PM
TnRCguy

Yeah, same here... I knew it was just a matter of time after reading of other peoples breaking. I was even being super easy on it, only pressing the left side(while not scrolling), and only when I HAD to use it. I made it almost a month!

When it happened I could feel the weak plastic "give" and I knew it was over. Oh well, I still love this radio regardless!
Old 04-07-2009, 02:41 PM
bigblock454XXL

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2wumTvSYYC4[/youtube]
Old 04-07-2009, 11:25 PM
Switch_639

man, you rule! dont you like sleep? its in the morning 6:25am here all ready in SA... many thanks, I am downloading it now to keep for feature references...
Old 04-08-2009, 05:37 AM
bigblock454XXL

LMAO! Sleep? What's that? I work for a local Newspaper Company so my hours are Early in the am. I sleep a couple hours here-n-there during the day. I was just adding fuel to the fire in another Thread, see Montster Truck vs Truggy.

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_85..._2/key_/tm.htm

Good luck to ya. I'll prolly cross yer path in rcuniverse again.
I've been awake since 3 AM. I got enough coffee in me to last a normal person a week!

WHOOO!
Old 04-08-2009, 10:23 AM
Switch_639

and you are still on here? how?...
Old 04-08-2009, 10:44 AM
TnRCguy

Thanks for the vid!! I'll be doing that fix in the next few days. I have to dig up an old allen wrench I can hack. Do you remember how far you had to drill into the scroll wheel??
Old 04-08-2009, 10:47 AM
TnRCguy

Haha, he's like me. I've been up since 3:45a.m. and I'll be on here till later tonight. I stay on all day at work, then on and off when I get home. Work is what keeps me on here consistently, I love my job.
Old 04-08-2009, 11:12 AM
Switch_639

btw what is ur job?
Old 04-08-2009, 11:18 AM
TnRCguy

I'm a technician for a major cell phone insurance carrier... If you use Verizon, t-mobile, sprint, and most the major cell phone carriers then we're the insurance company for your phone.
Old 04-08-2009, 12:28 PM
bigblock454XXL

ORIGINAL: TnRCguy

Do you remember how far you had to drill into the scroll wheel??

Well. . . The piece of allen wrench was 1/2 inch long. I drilled out the hole 5/16 deep. I ended up having 3/16 sticking out to enter the scroll mechanism. That should do ya. Exact measurements are recommended, because this I know works well. . . . so far! Make sure that you drill the hole in the scroll button last.
Old 04-12-2009, 10:40 AM
bigblock454XXL

AW CRAP!!!!! HEY I hope I can get this warning out in time. PLEASE DO NOT FIX YOUR DX3S SCROLL BUTTON!!!!!! If your scroll button broken call Horizon Hobby 1-800-338-4639 and make a claim on your warranty. I fixed my scroll button with a allen wrench but now the scroll mechanism has broken from the circut board!!!!! Which means I'm SOL!!!! I'm going to keep an open mind and call them first thing monday morning and see what they can do for me. I really like Losi and Spektrum and would like to continue giving them my bussiness. Hopefully we can work with each other.
Old 04-13-2009, 05:36 AM
ARDV8

Thanks for the heads up, can you alter the title of the thread to draw people's attention to the problem.

Nice video though and your repair was good, looks like the spektrum has a few problems though.

Like you say, best to claim under warranty

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.