RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Losi Monster Trucks (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/losi-monster-trucks-319/)
-   -   Dynamite "Truggy" .26 Mach 2 (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/losi-monster-trucks-319/10272215-dynamite-%22truggy%22-26-mach-2-a.html)

nitrojimbo 01-18-2011 12:38 PM

Dynamite "Truggy" .26 Mach 2

What is everyone's take on a "truggy" engine in an LST2? I think it would be pretty cool. What do you think about an LST2 racing with one?

nitrojimbo 01-18-2011 12:40 PM

RE: Dynamite

Here is a link to the Mach 2 engine page.

http://www.dynamiterc.com/Products/Mach2.aspx

cswtornado 01-18-2011 12:43 PM

I think it would be cooler to see an LST racing with a clocked Picco .28 TRUGGY.

nitrojimbo 01-18-2011 12:51 PM

Hahahaha I don't really want to give an arm or a leg for a Picco, none the less a CLOCKED Picco.

HerrSavage 01-19-2011 10:44 PM

Course there's also the problem that an LST2 is not a truggy...

SMOKEFAN 01-20-2011 07:57 AM

I think youll be disappoint with the dynamite engine quality. I'd opt for and LRP 28 or the losi 454. Both will outlast and out perform the dynamite.

The dynamite platinum series is decent but by the time you shell out money for that you could have a sirio or novarossi.

The LRP run 169.00 and the 454 can be had on fleabay for 140.00. Both are basically the same engine but the 454 has a different carb on it</p>

HerrSavage 01-20-2011 12:30 PM

They're all SH engines.

The Dynamite 26 is the "new" Mach 427 afaik.

My first silver-headed Mach 427 is probably the best engine I've had. LRP was great too. And so far, so is my Dynamite Big Red 28...

If the Dynamite 26 really is the new Mach and is as good, then you can get it no worries...

Powerwise, I think the Mach 427 has the same top-end more or less as the LRP 28/Losi 454, but not as much torque. In an MT though lots of torque is lost in wheelspin and drivetrain wear IMO, so no big loss - at least for racing. It also drinks A LOT less fuel...

mrsheldon 01-20-2011 12:34 PM

The losi 427 is a .27 not a .26 I thought they were the same too.check it out on www.teamlosi.com

HerrSavage 01-20-2011 12:46 PM

Got a more specific link? I have ALWAYS heard the 427 was just a newer version of the older blue-headed Mach 26 that came in the LST1...

The LST2 was always marketed as having a .26 too.. Never saw an ad featuring a 27...

EDIT - Aha .. http://www.losi.com/Products/Feature...rodId=LOSR1002

Hmm....

DOUBLE-EDIT.. Looked at losipartshouse, ebay.com, etc.. And sure enough, they all say "Mach .27" engine... So IDK.... [sm=confused.gif] I always just listened to the forums instead of the manufacturers..(and to be fair, the manufactureres are not exactly trustworthy when you consider for ex. HP claims...)

mrsheldon 01-20-2011 01:24 PM

I think the 427 is an excellent motor.I love this forum but you cant believe everything on here..I like 2nd and 3rd opinions.lol.</p>

HerrSavage 01-20-2011 01:31 PM

Not just talking here - but all forums.. Forever everybody has said the 427 is just a .26...

Don't really care.., would just be kind of suprised. And yes, I'm a big an of the 427 whatever the case..

nitrojimbo 01-22-2011 12:08 PM

Hey HerrSavage, how is the Big Red .28? How is it on fuel consumption? It will most likely be my next choice on an engine, but it seems that you have quite a bit of experience with that engine.

HerrSavage 01-22-2011 12:13 PM

Not "quite a bit".. More like a gallon or so.. User-friendly, good power.. Hard to say conclusively, but so far I would have to say the LRP Spec 3 is better.. - more powerful - but maybe drinks a bit more fuel..

For the price though IMO the Big Red is a very good engine most MT bashers can buy with zero qualms....

1QwkSport2.5r 01-22-2011 12:23 PM

ORIGINAL: HerrSavage

Got a more specific link? I have ALWAYS heard the 427 was just a newer version of the older blue-headed Mach 26 that came in the LST1...

The LST2 was always marketed as having a .26 too.. Never saw an ad featuring a 27...

EDIT - Aha .. http://www.losi.com/Products/Feature...rodId=LOSR1002

Hmm....

DOUBLE-EDIT.. Looked at losipartshouse, ebay.com, etc.. And sure enough, they all say ''Mach .27'' engine... So IDK.... [sm=confused.gif] I always just listened to the forums instead of the manufacturers..(and to be fair, the manufactureres are not exactly trustworthy when you consider for ex. HP claims...)
The Mach 427 engines (both orange and teal heads) are .26ci engines. Thats a misprint on Losi's website. I'm not positive, but I think the old mach .26 (blue head) may be a 3-port engine like the M26SS is. The Mach 427 is .001cc larger than the Mach .26, but its still a .26. I used a web converter: http://74.54.120.132/dbbp/tech-tips/converter.html
The losi 454 or 4.54cc = .277ci and the SH .28's are 4.57cc which is .278ci. Not that it makes much of a difference - Any metric to SAE conversion has such a long decimal place its often rounded up.

I also had found out (and maybe the Mach .26 is included with this) that the M26SS and Teal 427 used the same head button - the high compression one. The Orange head 427 is lower in compression. The only differences between the Teal and Orange 427's is the color of the head, and the high compression head button. (I had a Teal 427 - it was a real nice running engine)

Since SH makes all of the mach engines, I would think based on the look of the head on the .26 truggy, its a mach 427 with a different head on it..

HerrSavage 01-22-2011 01:33 PM

Interesting...

Again, I can only say what my experience has been. And THAT has been - the Mach 427 is a great engine.. Probably the best I've had.. My first teal-head had about eight gallons(more or less..) on it - in a Muggy, then raced in an RC8 buggy and then Hyper ST Pro and RC8T, then I had it sent off to be pinched.. - about a year ago... Fired it up in my DM-1 a couple days ago(been sitting in a drawer for over year..), and it started right up and went great.. It's like some incredibly loyal and well-behaved dog that just won't give up.. Cheap, good power, good run time, user-friendly... I have at times in the past said I would be perfectly happy to only ever run Mach 427's ever again - whether racing or bashing, buggy, truggy, MT, SC8, DM-1 - whatever.. Still stand by it.. Just got other stuff to try new things for the hell of it or cuz I fell for a deal.. But if this new Mach 26 truggy version with the red head really is just a (teal)427 with a red head, I'd get one in a heartbeat... And keep getting them as long as I run nitro...

nitrojimbo 01-22-2011 07:17 PM

Thanks for the info HerrSavage.

1QwkSport2.5r 01-22-2011 09:02 PM

Interesting...

Again, I can only say what my experience has been. And THAT has been - the Mach 427 is a great engine.. Probably the best I've had.. My first teal-head had about eight gallons(more or less..) on it - in a Muggy, then raced in an RC8 buggy and then Hyper ST Pro and RC8T, then I had it sent off to be pinched.. - about a year ago... Fired it up in my DM-1 a couple days ago(been sitting in a drawer for over year..), and it started right up and went great.. It's like some incredibly loyal and well-behaved dog that just won't give up.. Cheap, good power, good run time, user-friendly... I have at times in the past said I would be perfectly happy to only ever run Mach 427's ever again - whether racing or bashing, buggy, truggy, MT, SC8, DM-1 - whatever.. Still stand by it.. Just got other stuff to try new things for the hell of it or cuz I fell for a deal.. But if this new Mach 26 truggy version with the red head really is just a (teal)427 with a red head, I'd get one in a heartbeat... And keep getting them as long as I run nitro...
I have an Orange 427 thats only seen about a gallon of fuel and it runs really good, but it hasnt ran-in far enough to pull the wheels up yet.. I think a bigger carb would really help the 427. I think the carb throat is only 7mm which I feel is a tad small. The SH .28 I have has a 9.5mm carb. I've been tempted to try it and see what happens - though I think 9.5 might be a bit too big. Isn't there a carb out there that fits the 427 and has different inserts?

Either way, both of my engines run great for what I want them to do.. I don't race, but sometime down the road I'm gonna put a screamer in one of my LST2's..

HerrSavage 01-23-2011 12:54 AM

The old Sportwerks 26 carb has a .9mm insert, but I personally didn't like it. I had two SW 26's and for me they just didn't tune as well,and frankly didn't seem as powerful. For a while I had one in a Savage that did rev really really high.. But it didn't live all that long...

1QwkSport2.5r 01-23-2011 06:23 AM

The old Sportwerks 26 carb has a .9mm insert, but I personally didn't like it. I had two SW 26's and for me they just didn't tune as well,and frankly didn't seem as powerful. For a while I had one in a Savage that did rev really really high.. But it didn't live all that long...
Its too bad so many websites dont publish the size of the carb.. I've had a hard time nailing down what other carb is bigger w/o having to buy a half dozen to measure myself. I had a spare 427 carb laying around so I took my dremel after it. I opened it up to about 8.2mm but the venturi isnt perfectly round and I cant just take a drill bit and drill it out because of the little knob that pokes out for the idle needle. I haven't ran that carb yet, but I was going to try it for the heck of it. The 427 carb tunes perfectly fine, I just think its too small. Maybe I can find a 454 carb on the 'bay for cheap.

supertib 01-23-2011 06:33 AM

On a engine as low powered as a Mach 427 a 7 mm carb is more then enough.... I doubt going to a 9 mm will make any more power, in fact it may lose a little power.........

1QwkSport2.5r 01-23-2011 07:21 AM

ORIGINAL: supertib

On a engine as low powered as a Mach 427 a 7 mm carb is more then enough.... I doubt going to a 9 mm will make any more power, in fact it may lose a little power.........
Well, let me ask you this.. I have 2 LST2's. 1 with a 427 orange, and 1 with an SH .28 p6. The .28 truck is far more powerful than the 427 truck - the .28 truck is 3mph faster than the 427 truck. I guess I'm curious as to why a 427 wouldn't benefit from a bigger carburetor.. A difference of 3mph seems like a lot considering the only visible differences are the .02ci higher displacement and the 2.5mm difference in carb size. Obviously there could be differences in the timing of the ports between the two engines but I can't imagine they would time the .28's that much different than the .26's. I didnt get out a caliper and measure the ports, but they look pretty darn close to the same size and shape between the two.

Supertib - I by no means doubt what you have to say, but could you elaborate a little bit? You know more about nitro engines than anyone else I've ever come in contact with and wouldn't mind learning a thing or two from ya..

HerrSavage 01-23-2011 09:20 AM

:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

HerrSavage 01-23-2011 09:23 AM

ORIGINAL: 1QwkSport2.5r

Well, let me ask you this.. I have 2 LST2's. 1 with a 427 orange, and 1 with an SH .28 p6. The .28 truck is far more powerful than the 427 truck - the .28 truck is 3mph faster than the 427 truck. I guess I'm curious as to why a 427 wouldn't benefit from a bigger carburetor.. A difference of 3mph seems like a lot considering the only visible differences are the .02ci higher displacement and the 2.5mm difference in carb size. Obviously there could be differences in the timing of the ports between the two engines but I can't imagine they would time the .28's that much different than the .26's. I didnt get out a caliper and measure the ports, but they look pretty darn close to the same size and shape between the two.

Supertib - I by no means doubt what you have to say, but could you elaborate a little bit? You know more about nitro engines than anyone else I've ever come in contact with and wouldn't mind learning a thing or two from ya..

The answer is abundantly obvious - if you don't drive a Picco - preferably one of his... - it doesn't matter cuz everything else is junk, and your thinking that your non-Picco engine actually suits your needs quite well thanks very much is in fact a delusion....

And oh yeah, while you're at it, ditch the LST2's and get a truggy. But only a Mugen truggy, cuz everything else is junk...

Etc etc...

supertib 01-23-2011 09:24 AM

ORIGINAL: 1QwkSport2.5r

the 28 has a different stroke..may have different trapped compression..crank timing...blowdown timing...sleeve timing etc..... It would take me all of 5 minutes to have that Mach outperforming the 28.......

carb restrictors don't seem to do much after 7 mm...I guess the limiting factor of the engine is not the venturi..on my dyno a Mach would be lucky to hit 1.2 HP..I have .21's making over 2.0 HP and still using a 7 mm venturi..when I swapped to a 9 there was no difference whatsoever..so if a 7.0 mm doesn't restrict my 2.0 HP 45 000 RPM B5..it wont hurt the 1.2 HP 30 000 RPM Mach.....All it comes down to is that the limiting factor is not the venturi... there are soo many factors involved in the performance of these engines... trapped compression, blowdown timing, squish velocity..rod angle..port timing..port angle...crank timing etc. etc..... Add int he fact that Taiwanese engines do not have the most consistent manufacturing batch to batch..so you never know whats going on till you measure each individual engine in question.... you may go buy another mach and it may be faster then your current 28.....As i say these types of engines are all over the map when it comes to manufacturing........ some engines the sleeve is milled deeper in the block, some are higher in the block..I have measured variances in some brands as much as .020 " which will affect timing as well as compression ratio.....As i say, the engines in question would have to be measured to determine why one is faster then the other..and this is something you need engine software to properly analyze ....Also these measurements are nit something that can b compared visually..you need to use precision measuring tools and engine software...by eye they may look the same, but measured they could have substantial differences...

savagecommander 01-23-2011 08:06 PM

:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:
:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

one of the first mods i did (back in 01 id have to say) was drilled out the carb. i dont remember what size i went to but i remember having to take the low speed needle assembly out so it didnt get chewd up. yes, there was a marked increase in top end. I find it hard to believe a 7mm venturi is enough for an engine anything larger than .18- thats a TINY hole. (now dont go off the deep end about it)

ive also picked up top end by switching plug range, and brands for that matter. maybe that has something to do with it.