Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > M.A.A.C.
Reload this Page >

FPV laws in Canada, what are they?

Notices
M.A.A.C. Discuss Model Aeronautics Association of Canada policies, decisions & any other MAAC related topics here.

FPV laws in Canada, what are they?

Old 09-15-2013, 08:50 AM
ssrc30

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default FPV laws in Canada, what are they?

I've been looking into canadian laws regarding FPV flight in Canada. Im confused to say the least. Some people say you need a HAM license, some say you don't. Industry Canada doesn't seem to have anything on their site and neither them, or MAAC, have replied to emails, or calls, about the subject. The one person from IC that I did talk to had no idea what FPV even is. MAAC's site only seems to have guidelines, no actual laws.

Does anyone here actually know what the actual laws are or is it such a grey area that we have to learn hit and miss?

Any help on this would be great.

Thanks.
Old 09-19-2013, 12:57 PM
aspeed

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

If you ask what the laws are some idiot will make them. Sometimes it is better to ask forgiveness than permission. Unless it is a business or you are going over military bases, airports or something silly.
Old 09-20-2013, 06:12 AM
Donovan Dow

Morning ssrc30

Suggest you contact your MAAC Zone Director:
Don McGowan
780-963-4586
[email protected]

cheers
don dow

Last edited by Donovan Dow; 09-20-2013 at 06:19 AM.
Old 09-20-2013, 06:45 AM
ssrc30

Thanks. I'll send him a message right away. I know you can get wireless security systems that transmit on 5.8ghz so I'm wondering what the difference is between fpv and security. My neighbors have a 5.8ghz security camera and never had to get any kind of permit to use it. Maybe Don can help me out. Thanks.
Old 10-04-2013, 10:53 AM
bbbair

One of the BIG issues with FPV and Canadian Regulations is that our Model rules state that "The 'Pilot' MUST be in VISUAL CONTACT WITH THE AIRPLANE AT ALL TIMES" ... with FVP this does not really happen and so you are violating the rules as soon as you put the goggles on.

MAAC came up with a workable solution without going back to the law makers. All FPV must be done on a 'Buddy Box with a Trainer Cord' So the FPV Pilot is flying and the 'TRAINER' is in "VISUAL CONTACT WITH THE AIRPLANE AT ALL TIMES".

As to actual REGULATIONS... all that the Government KNOWS about is UAVs and these are primarily Military. So we (MAAC) are busy trying to dance around the situation before someone does something silly and CAUSES the Government to MAKE A LAW which is something that we really don't want...

Good Luck & Happy Landings!

Last edited by bbbair; 10-05-2013 at 09:18 AM.
Old 10-05-2013, 06:46 AM
Donovan Dow

Morning Blair

Hopefully between Richard Barlow and Marc Sharpe who work with the Federal Authorities on our MAAC hobby issues there will be no " dance around the situation".

cheers
Donovan Dow
file://localhost/Users/donovandow1/Desktop/Rideau%20Flyers.webloc
Old 10-05-2013, 05:10 PM
Propworn
My Feedback: (3)

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts
Default MAAC and FPV

MAAC has just posted information as to FPV in Canada within the MAAC structure http://www.maac.ca/docs/2013/msd_8__final.pdf

Dennis
Old 12-07-2013, 05:02 PM
byrocat

Thanks, Dennis, for posting that.

Let me check my understanding:
The "laws" dealing with FPV are the Canadian Air Regulations (Transport Canada) that make the distinction between RC model aircraft and UAVs, and the radio frequency regulations (Communications Canada) that come into play for the TV link from plane to the ground.
Assuming that you're flying an RC model airplane for sport and non-commercial use, the next level is the MAAC Safety Code and FPV rules (Line-of-sight flying only, use of spotter for flying, and possible "station manager" if you're using the frequencies that need proper licensing and the FPV pilot doesn't have it.

Pretty simple and straight-forward. Of course, that is, if you want to be covered by MAAC's insurance coverage.
Old 12-10-2013, 03:47 PM
Ed Smith

I would imagine the best person to contact would be the MAAC FPV sub-committee chairman.

His name is Zoltan Pittner. email;- [email protected]

Ed S.
Old 12-10-2013, 07:36 PM
byrocat

Since we're talking about the DOT Air Regulations, the MAAC members of the committee would be primary sources, even more than Zoltan. Richard Barlow is the best contact.