Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > M.A.A.C.
Reload this Page >

Welcome MAAC members

Notices
M.A.A.C. Discuss Model Aeronautics Association of Canada policies, decisions & any other MAAC related topics here.

Welcome MAAC members

Old 01-20-2005, 06:26 PM
Nathan
Administrator
My Feedback: (12)

Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Welcome MAAC members

Here you go MAAC members and everyone else wishing to join in on the discussion! This forum is to discuss the Model Aeronautics Association of Canada, enjoy!
Old 01-20-2005, 08:22 PM
Ed Smith

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Welcome MAAC members

Oh Dear, we now have to educate our southern neighbours. For years I have been trying to convince my US friends that if they step across their northern border they will not fall off the planet.

For the record, I SUPPORT GEORGE BUSH! Thank goodness somebody is leading the charge against world tyranny!

Ed s
Old 01-21-2005, 04:52 PM
Red Scholefield
Banned
My Feedback: (9)

ORIGINAL: Ed Smith

Oh Dear, we now have to educate our southern neighbours. For years I have been trying to convince my US friends that if they step across their northern border they will not fall off the planet.

LOL - I think we have more Canadians in Florida this time of the year than you have in some of your providences, for sure more than in Nonavut or the NW Territories.

For the record, I SUPPORT GEORGE BUSH! Thank goodness somebody is leading the charge against world tyranny!

For the record, as long as there is ONE Canadian that feels this way we will do all we can to keep you safe from tyranny! But those people in Quebec you might have to talk to.

Ed s
Old 01-21-2005, 09:34 PM
Ed Smith

OK, now that we have the politics out of the way we can get started. Anything you want to know about Canadian Model aviation just ask. I will attempt to answer.

Ed S
Old 01-22-2005, 08:18 AM
Red Scholefield
Banned
My Feedback: (9)

ORIGINAL: Ed Smith

OK, now that we have the politics out of the way we can get started. Anything you want to know about Canadian Model aviation just ask. I will attempt to answer.

Ed S
Triva question: How many MAAC members log more flight time in Florida than Canada vs AMA members logging flight time in Canada.

Real question: If a MAAC member spends the winters (say 5 or 6 months) in Florida does his MAAC membership qualify him for membership in an AMA chartered club in Florida (or other winter get-away state). Would the reverse be true for an AMA member that wants to summer in Canada?
Old 01-22-2005, 03:41 PM
Hobbsy
My Feedback: (102)

Received 22 Likes on 22 Posts

Welcome Ed and MAAC, I met some of you fellas at your booth at the Toledo show last year and A. J. Coholic is a friend of mine. AJ has made a few Diesel heads for me.
Old 01-22-2005, 06:50 PM
JimTrainor

ORIGINAL: Red Scholefield
Real question: If a MAAC member spends the winters (say 5 or 6 months) in Florida does his MAAC membership qualify him for membership in an AMA chartered club in Florida (or other winter get-away state). Would the reverse be true for an AMA member that wants to summer in Canada?
Not necessarily membership in a club. That would be up to the clubs, no?. But as a visitor at an AMA event, or club, there are reciprocal agreements that cover insurance. The details are buried some where in here: http://www.maac.ca

... but I'm a long way from spending from 5 months in Florida I can barely even take a break in summers up here...
Old 01-23-2005, 10:16 PM
kevin mcgrath
My Feedback: (1)

The reciprocal arrangement between MAAC and the AMA simplified is that MAAC coverage is acceptable to the AMA when I fly in the USA and ditto vice versa when an AMA member flys in Canada.
Individual club rules of any type supercede the MAAC/AMA arrangement .IE Just because Im a paid up member of MAAC does not give me the "right" to fly at a club field in the US,but it does mean I am covered by my MAAC liability coverarage if I do fly as a guest of that club.
Incidentally MAAC coverage is not top up over the individuals own insurance like the AMA,,but is rather a stand alone $5 Million liability policy.
That season commuter phenom.works both ways.While the Southern US sweltered through an extra hot summer a few seasons back we had Don Lowe flying as a member of our club in "air conditioned by nature" Sault Ste Marie Ontario,which is located on the east side of Lake Superior . In this area a really hot day which has the locals dropping in the streets is +30o (er 90+ in your temp),and high humidity is a rare thing.
Old 01-24-2005, 11:42 AM
donkey doctor

Hello; I think MAAC does a pretty good job, all things considered. Most of teh fellows I fly with are members. Last week I asked what everybody thought of MAAC, most answers were that insurance, nowadays is ridiculously wxpensive, usually not possible to collect on, the guys at our field hat all teh french in the MAAC magazine, and figure it would be cheaper to make two magazines, one in English and one in French, then give each person a choice. That way the magazine would be half it's size, and weight, and still have teh same content. I understand that there are costs involved in running MAAC and that it is a business, but it has gotten quite expensive over the years, and apart from the magazine, doesn't offer much for the money. Could be that us "westerners" don't want to see our money sent east to promote "eastern" strategies.
Old 01-24-2005, 07:39 PM
kevin mcgrath

The input by Donkey smells like classic trolling to me and is so inaccurate,rude ,and ignorant that Im not going to grace it with a reply.
If this kind of stuff is going to be typical here,I suggest the column wont last long,and I for one wont be back.
Why dont you try this stuff on RCC,Donkey?
Old 01-25-2005, 10:05 PM
vagabond324
My Feedback: (11)

Greetings fellow R/C flyers, I'm looking for a member of MAAC to talk to about an article in your MAAC magazine. The Article covers a scratch built negative stagger Bi-plane called the Codger. If anyone is willing to email me about this article please do so to [email protected] I am not able to get this article here in Pennsylvania and wish to here more about this aircraft that John M built. Thank you. Jon
Old 01-26-2005, 12:22 PM
matt flyer

What month was that?
Old 01-26-2005, 06:31 PM
vagabond324

Hi Matt, I'm sure it was in the last 2 or 3 months.
Jon
Old 01-27-2005, 02:26 PM
DP01

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Jon:

Here y'go…

Dennis

(Hover mouse cursor over the image to increase size).
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Zx69893.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	130.5 KB
ID:	221325  
Old 01-27-2005, 02:27 PM
donkey doctor

hello Kevin; How can you say innacurate? I just report what replies i heard. And ignorant, what is that about? Sounds like trolling to me. I do post on RCC, but there is so little activity there, most threads die of old age. It is not my intention to insult anyone, just state the western perspective as I experience it. I did say that MAAC do a pretty good job considering the small membership and the vast area that they cover.
Old 01-27-2005, 04:06 PM
vagabond324

Thank you Dennis, greatly appriciated I cannot wait for John to make his plans available, this is a really nice aircraft.
Best regards,
Jon [sm=drowning.gif]
Old 02-20-2005, 10:48 AM
don challis

I believe in the latest MAC there was an update on the Codger Bipe. The article generated a lot of interest. The builder is currently making a set of plans for those that wish to build. I'll have to find his contact info for you. Ok?

Don
Old 02-20-2005, 10:15 PM
Frank M Klenk

Hi vagabond324

I have sent you an email with the contact info about the Codger Bipe.

Frank
Old 02-23-2005, 09:09 AM
P-51B
My Feedback: (5)

Ok, lets start with the basics, does MAAC have a website?
Old 02-23-2005, 01:07 PM
Ed Smith

Try This.

http://www.maac.ca/

Ed S
Old 02-25-2005, 12:22 PM
P-51B
My Feedback: (5)

Thanks! I'll look through it!!!
Old 04-02-2005, 10:50 AM
2thelmt

ORIGINAL: donkey doctor

Hello; I think MAAC does a pretty good job, all things considered. Most of teh fellows I fly with are members. Last week I asked what everybody thought of MAAC, most answers were that insurance, nowadays is ridiculously wxpensive, usually not possible to collect on, the guys at our field hat all teh french in the MAAC magazine, and figure it would be cheaper to make two magazines, one in English and one in French, then give each person a choice. That way the magazine would be half it's size, and weight, and still have teh same content. I understand that there are costs involved in running MAAC and that it is a business, but it has gotten quite expensive over the years, and apart from the magazine, doesn't offer much for the money. Could be that us "westerners" don't want to see our money sent east to promote "eastern" strategies.
So two mags would be cheaper than one...hmmmmm OK whatever.
Hate french? Ignor it like I do...
Doesn't offer much for the money...~$55.00 for a years worth of insurancs PLUS a Magazine Hmmmm What planet are you from and what are you smokin Costs me $140.00 to insure my 25 year old snowmobile for the year.

"Eastern strategies"...Form your own "Western" group and keep all your money. I'll bet it never happens.

Some people just love to complain.
Old 04-02-2005, 02:01 PM
Sharpy01

ORIGINAL: kevin mcgrath

The reciprocal arrangement between MAAC and the AMA simplified is that MAAC coverage is acceptable to the AMA when I fly in the USA and ditto vice versa when an AMA member flys in Canada.
Individual club rules of any type supercede the MAAC/AMA arrangement .IE Just because Im a paid up member of MAAC does not give me the "right" to fly at a club field in the US,but it does mean I am covered by my MAAC liability coverarage if I do fly as a guest of that club.
Incidentally MAAC coverage is not top up over the individuals own insurance like the AMA,,but is rather a stand alone $5 Million liability policy.
That season commuter phenom.works both ways.While the Southern US sweltered through an extra hot summer a few seasons back we had Don Lowe flying as a member of our club in "air conditioned by nature" Sault Ste Marie Ontario,which is located on the east side of Lake Superior . In this area a really hot day which has the locals dropping in the streets is +30o (er 90+ in your temp),and high humidity is a rare thing.
For the record, I do not believe the agreement is actually "reciprocal" in nature. The deal, as it was explained to me, is that AMA recognizes MAAC's insurance coverage and thus allows us to fly at AMA fields and events. An AMA member flying in Canada is actually covered by MAAC's in insurance. It's more of a courtesy agreement to allow us to fly on the south side. No doubt, a much higher percentage of Canuck flyers go south, than the reverse, plus the difference in insurance coverage makes the set-up reasonable.

IMO
Old 04-02-2005, 02:07 PM
Sharpy01

ORIGINAL: donkey doctor

hello Kevin; How can you say innacurate? I just report what replies i heard. And ignorant, what is that about? Sounds like trolling to me. I do post on RCC, but there is so little activity there, most threads die of old age. It is not my intention to insult anyone, just state the western perspective as I experience it. I did say that MAAC do a pretty good job considering the small membership and the vast area that they cover.
Don't bother Donkey, you've been tagged already.

....just for the record Kevin, Me and donkey don't know each other, so you can cut him some slack before you head too much into the attack mode or get too deep into the East/West, "us" vs "them" again. []

Those few are a sensitive lot Donkey, they get very defensive when anything MAAC is discussed.

cheers

Old 04-02-2005, 04:08 PM
britbrat

ORIGINAL: kevin mcgrath

The input by Donkey smells like classic trolling to me and is so inaccurate,rude ,and ignorant that Im not going to grace it with a reply.
If this kind of stuff is going to be typical here,I suggest the column wont last long,and I for one wont be back.
Why dont you try this stuff on RCC,Donkey?

Unfortunately he did reply.

It appears that Mr. McGrath is one who cannot tolerate opinions contrary to his own (unfortunately, there are quite a few like him out there). The fact that there are persistant east-west issues within MAAC, regardless of the low numbers involved, indicates that there is something inherently not quite right in Lotus Land. McGrath & his fellows pass off the dissenters as a handfull of trouble makers & whiners. There may or may not be some of each in the group of dissenters, but the questions never go away and they are never resolved. As far as I can see, they are never addressed -- just ignored as "more whining".

While I seriously doubt that a viable western, or even nation-wide non-MAAC organization would be successfull, it is disturbing that MAAC hasn't really looked at the issues in a constructive manner.

The labelling of those who have contrary opinions as "West Rats", or "Nits", or "Whiners &Trouble Makers" only polarizes the membership. Not so long ago there was a very significant number of Quebec modellers who abandoned MAAC & tried to go-it-alone. Not surprisingly, they were unsuccessfull -- largely because they were not allowed to fly at MAAC flying sites. MAAC leaders sneered at them, predicting that they would fail -- instead of trying to find out what was the real reason for such a drastic action and then trying to correct the problem.

I hope that Mr. McGrath, a MAAC Zone Director, avoids being one of the closed-minded sneerers -- & acts as a listener & progressive leader.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2022 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.