Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > M.A.A.C.
Reload this Page >

U of M UAV - look ma no pilot

Notices
M.A.A.C. Discuss Model Aeronautics Association of Canada policies, decisions & any other MAAC related topics here.

U of M UAV - look ma no pilot

Old 06-29-2005, 02:48 PM
kenair
My Feedback: (10)

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default U of M UAV - look ma no pilot

What no maak, no Aero Club no FAI, say it ain't so....
[link]http://www.canoe.ca/NewsStand/WinnipegSun/News/2005/06/29/1109645-sun.html[/link]

Look, ma, no pilot!

U of M invention about to take off

By ALANA PONA, STAFF REPORTER
A group of University of Manitoba students' latest invention is about to take off in an international competition.

The team of students and recent graduates are travelling to the Webster Naval Reserve in Maryland to compete for the most efficient unmanned aerial vehicle.

"It's a specific technology that will take off, land and search all on its own using a GPS system," said Stephen Dueck, chair of Team Manitoba.

'ENHANCES'

The robot, weighing four-and-a-half kilograms, is used to search for ground targets without human assistance.

"Maintaining a stable flight, it can replace enough human function to eliminate the boring or dangerous jobs that we don't want to do," said Dueck.

"It enhances human involvement working on the ground."

Dueck said the team will have to prove to their American competitors that their UAV can take off on its own and cover all aspects of a specific search pattern.

"The computer has to be able to find something (in the pattern), then land on its own as well," he said, adding that the robot is now being used or researched by military and civilian agencies.

According to Dueck, the robot planes could act like "eyes in the sky," catching smugglers on the high seas in boats with illegal drugs.

In the meantime, Dueck hopes the four -and-a-half month project will one day become part of the university's curriculum.

"I hope the U of M will take (this project) under their wing and make it part of their final thesis project.

"We'd like to see this project survive longer than us and persist at the U of M."
Old 06-29-2005, 09:57 PM
Sharpy01
My Feedback: (12)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: U of M UAV - look ma no pilot

Here's a pic of the dude and bird.

The heart of the whole thing is the very small and light micropilot UAV autopilot system. The company is based just north of Winnipeg. I've been there and it's quite a setup. The product is world class and pilots some of the smaller/micro military UAV in different countries, including the U.S.

very small and light and can be programed from take-off to landing and do whatever you want it to do inbetween, guided by GPS and managed through wireless link to a laptop if desired. Very cool little system.

I wish them all the best.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Vs55544.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	62.6 KB
ID:	291949  
Old 06-30-2005, 06:46 AM
Jim_McIntyre

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I wish them all the luck I can muster.

I fail to see the connection between UAVs and MAAC though?[sm=confused.gif]
Old 06-30-2005, 07:40 AM
Sharpy01
My Feedback: (12)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

.....I think I see Froth on Ken's mouth again.