Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > M.A.A.C.
Reload this Page >

reducing the workload for volunteers at fly-ins

Notices
M.A.A.C. Discuss Model Aeronautics Association of Canada policies, decisions & any other MAAC related topics here.

reducing the workload for volunteers at fly-ins

Old 07-19-2005, 10:07 AM
kenair
My Feedback: (10)

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default reducing the workload for volunteers at fly-ins

I love hauling my travel trailer and camping out at a fly-ins, but I notice some of the organizers do not get to fly, is there ways to reduce their workload, I've posted some suggestions below, do you have any suggestions or comments.

These events are fun, however we have to start to reduce the work load for the few members that are in these clubs - any ideas

I have a few ideas - what do you guys think any other ideas that could make these events almost self run.

a) perhaps no impound, what we need to know is who else is on my channel, then I can work with that person so that we don't shoot each other down. Along the freq. board, if there was a a chunk of coreplast board, listing the channels and you could sign in under your channel so other flyers could do the same under their channel and we could see who is flying what channels. Get a clear mylar (plastic) sheet, tape it to coreplast, and use sharpie markers to sign in, then clean the sheet off with alcohol, may be MAAC would cover this expense.

Also MAAC and the AMA have to come up with a rule so that every flyer shows up with a standard size properly labelled freq tag, so we don't go running around asking whose unlabelled pin is on that channel. the std freq pin size and labelling could be posted on the maac web site and club sites as a tiff or jpeg where one could print if off, add in their name & channel #, fasten it to backing and then glue on to a clothespin. WHAM had a std format, but I cannot find it on the wham site now.

b)prizes - they are fun but can be a lot of work to scrounge and then to hand out, are prizes necessary

c) Biffie - I would have no problem throwing in five or ten buck into a biffie clean out fun for the weekend so that a pump truck pumps out instead of the guys hauling by had, what's your opinion.

Can we go to a self regulated, show up and fly type of system like we do daily at our own fields.

Old 07-19-2005, 10:41 AM
Jim_McIntyre

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: reducing the workload for volunteers at fly-ins

Interesting thoughts...

Do your events run the pin-in or pin-out method?

pin-out: a standard frequency board is provided with one pin for each frequency. You take the pin when you want to fly, no pin, no fly.

pin-in: you supply a pin with your name (a spare pack of clothespins and a pen is all that's needed for visitors). Cover your frequency to fly, frequency already covered? Find the guy who's name is on the pin and get him to remove it before you fly.

The pin-in method makes it very easy to locate the user of the frequency (provided you require name), the only issue is when someone forgets to take down their pin, and leaves the event.

Biffie?[sm=confused.gif]
Old 07-19-2005, 10:58 AM
kenair

The norm around here is pin in, most have theirs labelled, some just us a blank clothespin against the channel, which always leads to someone running around asking who is on channel 69, I've been wating an hour for that channel, I've asked around, has he gone home?

Som eof the US fly-in use pin out, you take the pin and leave your maac card but the maac card takes a beating, especially if it is humid out.

biffie - porta a john.
Old 07-19-2005, 11:21 AM
Jim_McIntyre

ORIGINAL: kenair
some just us a blank clothespin against the channel
Sounds like the root of the problem. I assume you have some form of registration, especially if you're giving out prizes. Why not just make it a requirement of the registration write your name on the pin?

The 'biffie' fee sounds reasonable.

Most events I attend have a "landing fee" that covers expenses like these.
Old 07-19-2005, 03:13 PM
Jason Holdaway

ORIGINAL: kenair

I've been wating an hour for that channel, I've asked around, has he gone home?
Turn your radio on, he'll probably be going home shortly after that.

and before I get jumped, no, I would never do this, nor would I have any respect for anyone that did. now if they midaired or put in in themselves...........
Old 07-19-2005, 06:45 PM
Sharpy01
My Feedback: (12)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

one of those new 80 dollar channel watchers sitting beside the board would be a simple bit of insurance as well.

I don't think Ken is suggesting a problem with the impound, only an alternative to the current "standard" related to impounds. Good to hear the different types of board setups.

This comes about due to discussion at an event last weekend. Great time, but not because of the little extras such as prizes and such. It was great because of the site and the people. The Extras are what put the pressure on the onganizers, which will ultimately result in the event not being "organized". Maybe it doesn't need to be "organized";

ie: Here's the field, here's the crapper..........make your own food, fly carefully and have fun.

On Friday, we did the same or more flying than on the actual scheduled day, Saturday. Those present policed themselves and there seemed little need for the "organization" of day 2?

...made us think.
Old 07-19-2005, 10:32 PM
kenair

Right, we like the organizers to have more time to fly, sit down and bs,
just looking at simplfying things at fly-ins and reduce the worload for them.
Old 07-20-2005, 07:32 AM
Jim_McIntyre

As with most things, variety is the key.
I've attended many lightly organized events as you're proposing, typically called "non-competitive funfly" in these parts.
They are fun, but blend together in memory when compared to a highly organized event like Chatham held last weekend.... The extra effort of arranging a decent PA system with running commentary, inviting community groups to participate, evening meals, live entertainment etc.... in a word AWESOME!, a very well organized and memorable event that sets a new standard.
Although it's true many of their club work more than play most of that weekend, they receive the same benefits we do when the next club down the road holds their event.[8D]
Old 07-20-2005, 09:11 AM
Sharpy01

I think all those events have their place.

The larger the event, the more effort is needed. The "model" we're talking about would likely not work for an event the draws big numbers. Naturally, the larger clubs with more available bodies are able to sustain better. Probably the magic number falls between 40-60 participants and depends somewhat on the number of "new" participants you get from year to year.

A high percentage of returning flyers makes life much simpler as well. Kind of a double-edged sword. Success draws more new participants which begins to complicate things and sometimes begins to take the fun out of bothering to put it on.

Old 07-20-2005, 03:25 PM
Jim_McIntyre

ORIGINAL: Sharpy01
Success draws more new participants
This is the nationals argument....

... and I don't think events like Joe Nall, Scale Masters events etc. support your "lack of fun" argument.....
Old 07-20-2005, 05:41 PM
Sharpy01

[quote]ORIGINAL: Jim_McIntyre

... and I don't think events like Joe Nall, Scale Masters events etc. support your "lack of fun" argument.....
....ok Jim, you lost me there?

"Success draws more new participants which begins to complicate things and sometimes begins to take the fun out of bothering to put it on."

Just a statement based on some local experience. We're only looking for ways to ease organizer's burden and help keep things fun for them as well. Obviously not an issue at event like Joe Nall where the organizers most likely enjoy all the hubbub of organization. (not to mention, the ability to put much of the menial chores on payroll) Slightly different league. I doubt Pat Hartness dumps the biffies at Joe Nall.
Old 07-21-2005, 07:22 AM
Jim_McIntyre

I think that was the point. Events can evolve to the point where the organizational work is done, it's a matter of executing the plan and, most menial work can be hired out or handled by volunteers. For example, we've used the local air cadet group for parking and crowd management. We feed them, and provide training and do special events for them. They really appreciate it and we've picked up a few members this way.
I know several clubs that manage to turn a decent profit from these events, defraying the costs of maintaining their flying site.
Old 07-21-2005, 12:22 PM
Sharpy01

10-4, interpretion problems on my end.

All good stuff.

Possibility that some events with 40-60 pilots that could essentially be "non-events" depending on the rate of returnees. Simply providing the field and treat the entire weekend as a day at the field. No matter how organized you are there is still much co-ordination and effort that needs to go into an event like you describe. Just another option for clubs/members who have a great site, want folks to come and enjoy, but don't want to "organize" anything.

The event we were at last weekend has a membership around 4 and is just ouside a town of less than 1000. Great site, central location, including being on the US border. A good, relaxing time without traffic or density, noise rules etc, but is a tiresome chore for the few members who would rather be flying. Last year, over 60 pilots, which bordered on too many for the site. This year, no advertising, but word of mouth brought out the "usual group" of around 35 pilots. It was perfect.

Just shows the diversity throughout the country. What works here, does not necessarily work there.
Old 07-21-2005, 01:14 PM
Jim_McIntyre

ORIGINAL: Sharpy01
Possibility that some events with 40-60 pilots that could essentially be "non-events"
Diversity for sure, I know some clubs where those numbers reflect the average Sunday turnout by members.

Average close to home for me is a club of 80 members with a ~20-30 flyers showing on a typical Sunday. That may reflect the accessibility to local events as there are many clubs within reasonable driving distance. In fact, I find I've been flying at other club events more than I do at my home club of late.

A club of 4, putting on a an event for over 60 ... I could see where that would be .... difficult.[X(]