Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > M.A.A.C.
Reload this Page >

Snowbird Crash in Thunder Bay

Notices
M.A.A.C. Discuss Model Aeronautics Association of Canada policies, decisions & any other MAAC related topics here.

Snowbird Crash in Thunder Bay

Old 08-25-2005, 09:18 AM
Sharpy01
My Feedback: (12)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Snowbird Crash in Thunder Bay

From CTV News:

Investigators will be probing the wreckage of the latest Snowbird jet crash Thursday, as fresh questions emerge about the safety of the elite flying squad.

The pilot, Capt. Andy Mackay, managed to steer his aircraft away from area homes, ejecting safely when his aircraft crashed on the outskirts of the northern Ontario city of Thunder Bay on the way to an air show Wednesday.

He has been released from hospital after being treated for undisclosed injuries, the Department of National Defence said.

While there have been questions about the safety of the squad in the past, Defence Minister Bill Graham says it is too early to discuss the future of the program.

I hate it when they immediately questions the teams existance after an accident. The Snowbirds are one of the few National Symbols that I relate to and have enjoyed every performance I've been to. It's oxymoronic that Bill Graham says it's too early to discuss the furture of the team, but recent decisions not to obtain newer planes for the team seems yet another indicator of the current government's lack of commitment to our armed(kinda) forces. The tudor is a graceful machine, but it is 30+ year old stuff. I'm glad the pilot wasn't seriously injured.