Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > M.A.A.C.
Reload this Page >

Limiting MAAC directorships?

Community
Search
Notices
M.A.A.C. Discuss Model Aeronautics Association of Canada policies, decisions & any other MAAC related topics here.

Limiting MAAC directorships?

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2005, 08:26 AM
Sharpy01
My Feedback: (12)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Limiting MAAC directorships?

ORIGINAL: Jim_McIntyre

I don't know. Your arguments are valid but potential counter arguments (like difficulties removing an inappropriate person) are just as valid. [sm=drowning.gif]
....... sounds kind of conspiracist/parnoidist driven.

Mind you after this coming weekend, your argument may be more valid than mine.

and....

Like it or not, Ken, in all his eloquence, has a valid point in that the vast majority get maac because they have to, but that sends us way off topic, which is a good indication that we have exhausted this one.
Old 10-13-2005, 08:43 AM
Jim_McIntyre

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ORIGINAL: Sharpy01
Like it or not, Ken, in all his eloquence, has a valid point in that the vast majority get maac because they have to, but that sends us way off topic, which is a good indication that we have exhausted this one.
Ok, but is it a pertinent point?
People who do not understand MAAC are required to get MAAC, that is given
This may put them off, expecially when they do not have this understanding.
If you were to educate these same people to what MAAC provides beyond insurance, then ask them if they feel MAAC should be performing these services, I'm willing to bet the majority of well rounded sane people (Kenny excepted here of course) would have little complaint.
Oh yes, some will point at something that doesn't interest them and say "I can do without that" but, another person will likely pick a different area of non-interest that affects the first....

You have to ask yourself, is MAAC here to support only what's most popular, or modellers in general.
Old 10-13-2005, 11:45 AM
britbrat

Damn it Jim, quit saying sensible things -- it's more entertaining to argue with you.
Old 10-13-2005, 01:32 PM
Hughes500E
My Feedback: (16)

If you were to educate these same people to what MAAC provides beyond insurance, then ask them if they feel MAAC should be performing these services, I'm willing to bet the majority of well rounded sane people (Kenny excepted here of course) would have little complaint.
Give it a try !

We're listening
Old 10-13-2005, 02:35 PM
Jim_McIntyre

ORIGINAL: Hughes500E
Give it a try !
Far be it from me to claim educator status when it comes to MAAC, I'm still being educated and, of course my interests are quite focused. Scale competition, especially F4C is where I rely on MAAC the most but I also have interests in SAM, Helicopter, Pylon, Sailplanes, Indoor, Electric etc. all of which are potential competition interests as well. Competition, for me, is where MAAC is most beneficial. Not only do I enjoy competition for the sheer thrill (adrenaline rush) but helps me focus, and contact like minded people I can socialize with and learn from. I do try to pay back and "pay forward" some of those benefits as well....
Old 10-13-2005, 03:24 PM
Sharpy01
My Feedback: (12)

The problem is, this is not a change from the approach that has always been used to promote MAAC.............. and history has shown consistent stagnation.

At what point do you consider a different approach? Is there another approach?
Old 10-13-2005, 04:32 PM
kenair
My Feedback: (10)

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Hey Jim, not bitter at all, loving it.

You can educate the majority about maac until the cows come home and it won't change a thing.

MAAC has been on this educate thing with the window dressing propaganda stuff for about 7 to 8 years, hasn't done a thing to change the stature of maac with the majority of membership, it will been seen as what it is ( just the insurance) until maac under goes a culture change.

At this time MAAC does not connect with the majority

Old 10-14-2005, 12:10 AM
Hughes500E
My Feedback: (16)

You can educate the majority about maac until the cows come home and it won't change a thing.
I am going into my 8th year as a member/supporter of MAAC. I believe that not enough is being done to educate the members! Like you say," At this time MAAC does not connect with the majority" !

[&o]

At what point do you consider a different approach? Is there another approach?

Old 10-14-2005, 07:07 AM
kenair
My Feedback: (10)

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Yes there is another approach.

MAAC - the leader in the hobby of recreational model airplane flying.

MAAC wants to insure you have fun and relaxation in your hobby.

MAAC encourages regional long weekend fly-ins. etc etc

MAAC to partner with H Hobby and get the alpha trainer at the maac rate for maac members.

Look at the maac web site - forms, docs, does it even thell a beginner how to get started.

The culture of the maac establishment has to 180 degress from competitive to receational - where do you think the bulk of the new members will come from.

there still is the culture in maac " built by competitors for competitors" that rubs the wrong way that is why there is the disconnect, competition does so much for us in the hobby, aeromodelling is a sport not a hobby, all this shows me is that maac still ives in the 60's.

All the MAAC propaganda will not work until there is a culture shift.

The majority of members in MAAC fly recreationaly - the one big event maac hypes is the Nats

What corporate maac message is this sending the the majority?

Old 10-14-2005, 09:13 AM
britbrat

I hesitate to suggest that there is some sense to what he said
Old 10-14-2005, 10:03 AM
Jim_McIntyre

It's the implementation that's questionable.

It's easy to make broad sweeping generalized statements about what MAAC should be seen as, it's a completely different matter to come up with some form of implementation strategy that makes it real. We can sit at our respective computers and peck out these little discussions but, until someone comes up with a plan, I mean a real plan that some effective majority can get behind and execute, we're all just participating in some form of entertainment.

Ideas are good, it's execution that counts. If Kenny were to execute some real ideas, instead of armchair quarterbacking people in MAAC who actually do things, he'd have a lot more credibility.

So here's your challenge Ken, put up or shut up; Pick something easy lto start with like your suggestion for a document to educate beginners. Get it published on the MAAC site, maintain it (the hobby is not static). Viola! You will have changed MAAC for the better and have less to whine about....