Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > M.A.A.C.
Reload this Page >

2006 MAAC NATS

Community
Search
Notices
M.A.A.C. Discuss Model Aeronautics Association of Canada policies, decisions & any other MAAC related topics here.

2006 MAAC NATS

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2005, 09:32 AM
extra300xs

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2006 MAAC NATS

I hear there is a lot bi.....ng on the other site - anyone hear if the 2006 Nats are on and where. I thought Chuck Smith had a win-win proposal for the Nats, what's happened?

Ok, let's cut to the chase here.

I thought Gerry Shaw and his organising group, which did the NATS last year, put a proposal through after it was declined by B.C. to do it again
in Chatham this year.

They did an excellent job, and those disciplines that DID attend had a great time. Those that did not - did not !!

It is also my understanding that they did the NATS without funding from MAAC, and are prepared to do it again this year the same way.

What's happening with that proposal?

Is there any other proposal?
What the heck is up?
Give us some kind of news at least!!

Get 'er done !!

Bob Hudson
Old 11-27-2005, 01:14 PM
kenair
My Feedback: (10)

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default RE: 2006 MAAC NATS

Yes, there is a lot of moaning and groaning over there,
the Nats must be hard sell for the obivious reasons............

now a week long camp at the field fly-in simliar to ther old Byrons Ida Grove or Joe Nall, now that would appeal to a lot more flyers.........................................
Old 11-27-2005, 07:45 PM
Jabba

ORIGINAL: kenair

now a week long camp at the field fly-in simliar to ther old Byrons Ida Grove or Joe Nall, now that would appeal to a lot more flyers.........................................

NO Kenair it's just the BOARD being *****es!!

how can it be a hard sell with NO MAAC $$$

I was at the 2005 NATS and it was a week long event..(not all one SIG) but we are not the same size as the US.

That would be like thinking you could run a FULL NATS.... BUT then you would have to do something and just not criticize others.
Old 11-28-2005, 07:39 AM
j79

Perhaps the board are seeing the Nats as they are, things are different now.
Old 11-28-2005, 08:37 AM
Jim_McIntyre

What a piece of work .... 'obvious reasons'? Lame spin, if you can't substatiate, state as fact.

now a week long camp at the field fly-in simliar to ...
Yeah ... a bunch of ARFs pretending to be helicopters ... *yawn* ... sounds real interesting. I can hear the campfire conversations now;
Jim: "Hey Kenny buddy, I hear XYZ is coming out with another Yak ...
Ken: "Yeah .. sure hope they make this one available with that kewl yellow scheme RMV has."
Jim: "Yup, I saw that one .... mighty purty, I bet I could wedge a DA 150 in there..."
SNORE! [:'(]

I'm sure they're well attended, as are stamp collector conventions ... just not my 'cup of tea' perhaps.
Maybe if I couldn't build, or had some compensatory need to brag about my credit limit, or was scared of a little competition.....
Old 11-28-2005, 09:37 AM
britbrat

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: Jim_McIntyre

Yeah ... a bunch of ARFs pretending to be helicopters ... *yawn* ...
I'm sure they're well attended, as are stamp collector conventions ... just not my 'cup of tea' perhaps.
Maybe if I couldn't build, or had some compensatory need to brag about my credit limit, or was scared of a little competition.....

Jim, you're as predictable as Ken
Old 11-28-2005, 12:30 PM
Sharpy01
My Feedback: (12)

ORIGINAL: Jabba

how can it be a hard sell with NO MAAC $$$

I was at the 2005 NATS and it was a week long event..(not all one SIG) but we are not the same size as the US.

That would be like thinking you could run a FULL NATS.... BUT then you would have to do something and just not criticize others.

......this is the junk that get's my back up. Again, according to Jabba, it's the Board fault that things are not going smoothly. Well, Jabbayadayada, your mentor is now on the board so why not let him do his job.

There is a definate projection of "entitlement" to this group's initiatives and it's way past old. If the board doesn't jump on que, they're being *****es and the smearing begins. You know what, despite the fact that the 05 event appears to have been successful, doesn't guarantee 06 will go as well. Maybe volunteers are an issue, maybe venues are an issue, maybe weather is an issue, maybe participants are an issue, maybe a flying event it not at the top of the to-do list, maybe, maybe, maybe.

The board's job is not to commit to the past, it's obligated to assess each proposal individually and I'll bet the "bulletproof" proposal is the usual email or a couple of pages that essentially says............"trust us"............it worked before, it should work again and cut us a check for a few thousand to get things started......... no budget, no real business case. That's what it was last year. It apparently worked, but it's not the way to properly run anything of that magnitude. Murphy is always lurking.

As far as I am concerned, if there isn't a full AND COMPLETE business case in place at this point, they should be told to look at 07 or it will be just another regional event.
Old 11-28-2005, 01:16 PM
Sharpy01

.......Is this why You think the board are bad people Palmer? Somebody exposing the facts instead of bending to the bashing?

On another topic, Keith and and Mike are right on regarding the larger picture of the Nats. My initial submission hit at the right spot and information is beginning to filter out. $7,800.00 of participation revenues plus $2,500.00 advanced by MAAC TOTALS well over $10,000.00 in gross revenues; thus, this is an amount that is closer to the $12,000.00 advanced by rumors. Add to this amount other revenues generated by various other sales, this could well surpass the posted amounts.

No one was suspecting misuse of misappropriation of funds. But persistant attempts to receive the final reports have not been heeded to.
What are we to think about this situation? What is a good business ethic to do in this situation?

It is well possible that the left over funds could have been considered dedicated funds reserved for future Nats. But I ca assure you that it was never intended to be held under the control of adhoc committees without MAAC knowledge. This would never have been authorized by the Board.

Mr. Palmer, it appears that you are close to those who are sitting on the final reports. Since you are speaking out on their behalf and, I would like to believe that you are interested at getting to the truth, could you find out for all of us the real reasons why the report is tarding and when we (the whole MAAC membership) can expect to receive it. Transparency would certainly dispell many thoughts about wild rumors.

Jean
I applaud the board for standing up for a standard of accountability and nobody should expect anything less.

....I posted this on RCCan and I'll do it again here:
-------
EVERY major controversy within this association since I began flying a dozen or so years back has circled around a few stupid flying events and a core group determined to get their way at all costs.

Maybe it's time for MAAC board to remove itself completely, both financially and organizationally from individual events. Provide the insurance and do the minimun to allow members to fly internationally and let the various diciplines look after themselves. I doubt there are very many out there who have, or intend, to fly in an event that needs MAAC board babysitting.

Marc Sharpe
Old 11-28-2005, 02:15 PM
Jim_McIntyre

ORIGINAL: Sharpy01
Maybe it's time for MAAC board to remove itself completely....
IOW "cut off your nose to spite your face"?

... and britbrat ; dem's fighting words meester.

Let's be serious here (if that's possible). Other than one incident in Shary01's home zone, the Nats have not been a financial burden to MAAC (in fact, some profit has occasionally been seen).
Further, despite the fact that there are some 'personalities' involved in the organization (more visible with the advent of the Internet and a few who look to stir the pot), the Nats have been, and could once again be, a major public relations coup, as well as being a staple MAAC service to the various disciplines who aim a little higher than simply 'boring holes in the sky'.
Old 11-28-2005, 02:32 PM
Sharpy01

Let's be serious here (if that's possible). Other than one incident in Shary01's home zone, the Nats have not been a financial burden to MAAC (in fact, some profit has occasionally been seen).
....or apparently not seen?

Besides, it's to a point where it's now ALL about the personalities and is generating bad feelings more than PR. PR is a pie in the sky wish. Nothing earth shattering in the PR department has ever come to the hobby as a result of an event. Locally, it helps if done right, but you'll never see a big national PR splash unless something dreadful happens......and obviously, in that case, it's not the PR we'd be looking for.

As widely reported, the US does a big NATS every year and living on the US/Canadian border for many years with universal access to media...........I've never seen any large PR bonanza down there either. I'm only reporting what I know from experience.
Old 11-28-2005, 04:32 PM
j79

Doesn't Chuck Smith have experience in running of very large events and he is on the board so I expect the Nats to be a go and will plan my vacation accordingly.

Marc is correct too, accountability is needed. What a bunch of wild ones on that other site.

Could this idea work?

MAAC could sell the Nats franchise - like other groups could bid to host the Junos' etc, there could be the potential for a club to make a lot of money at this event as a lot of pilots attend and pay entrance fees, the hosting club could enter into a revenue sharing aggreement with maac.
Old 11-28-2005, 04:42 PM
Jim_McIntyre

Let's be serious here (if that's possible).
Sigh....
Old 11-28-2005, 06:42 PM
j79

[link]http://www.rccanada.ca/bb/viewtopic.php?t=18603&start=60&postdays=0&postorder=asc&highlight=[/link]
wow... you must have a crystal ball....

HOW do you know the chairman has not yet responded...
MAAC put out startup money which was paid back BEFORE the event even took place.

NOW your calling people thieves... you're about to get sued next.
WHAT males YOU think there was or is a mis use of funds.... time to get your crystal ball cleaned.

IF I was Gerry Shaw I would tell MAAC to KISS MY *****.

MAAC was TOLD in the 2005 preposal what would happen with the left over $$$ and that will take place.
These are fun guys!
Old 11-28-2005, 07:14 PM
britbrat

Ah yes -- the Can in all of its glory. [&o]

Good thing that none of that stuff shows up here.
Old 11-28-2005, 07:48 PM
can773
My Feedback: (1)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

As widely reported, the US does a big NATS every year and living on the US/Canadian border for many years with universal access to media...........I've never seen any large PR bonanza down there either. I'm only reporting what I know from experience.
Actually the AMA wont even cover their own Nats in Model Aviation (our equivelent MAAC mag)....unfortunate as its the single largest modelling event on Earth. Around 1200-1400 participants over 2 months each year.
Old 11-29-2005, 07:22 AM
cessna206a

Actually the AMA wont even cover their own Nats in Model Aviation
Does the above statement back what Sharpy01 said, I'm confused?
Old 11-29-2005, 08:19 AM
britbrat

Yes --- but shhh -- don't tell him.
Old 11-29-2005, 08:43 AM
kenair

The boys on the can are up to nine pages without my help - go figure, must be driving some guys crazy ......................

I must say one post by Sharpy on the can hit the nail on the hit, the trouble in maac is caused by one small group of members that believe that they are entitled to have maac do something for them at all costs because it is in the maac constitution and they believe it to the the end all and be all of flying with model airplanes, they call it a core maac activity, a must have, etc.

Sympthoms of same group that attacked past Maac prez's Rick Reid, Louis Lebel, Wayne Bransfeld........ and now we have some of them running the mother ship, politics are the same, only the players change.

Not much has changed in 10 years since the Brandon Nats.

Life goes on, one day at a time, good entertainment on the can.

Old 11-29-2005, 05:07 PM
j79

Wow - up to 11 pages now, hey Kenair, you're just a featherweight compared to these guys on rccanada.
[link]http://www.rccanada.ca/bb/viewtopic.php?t=18603&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=135[/link]
Old 11-29-2005, 05:56 PM
kenair

hey Kenair, you're just a featherweight compared to these guys on rccanada
I concede, the can has out did itself on this one.
Old 11-29-2005, 06:18 PM
britbrat

Ken, you either say that the Can HAS OUTDONE itself, or, IT OUTDID itself. If you're going to act superior, you will have to walk-the-walk, not just talk-the-talk -- otherwise you will sound like some of the more notorious "canners". [:'(]
Old 11-29-2005, 07:24 PM
jhelps

"Now Ricky ... we've talked about this before ... some of those words you use aren't real words!!!" - Bubbles
Old 12-01-2005, 03:02 PM
kenair

[link=http://www.maac.ca/view_news.php?itm=55]maac web site[/link]
General MAAC News
Date last modified : December 1, 2005
Created by : Jason L. Aube -- 56821
Subject : NATIONALS 2006 ANNOUNCEMENT
News: Mr. Gerald Shaw has withdrawn his application to hold a centralized MAAC Nationals.

The Board very much regrets having to announce that there will be no combined, all discipline MAAC Nationals held in 2006. It was the desire of the Board that a Nationals should take place, and a vote in favour of holding such an event was held and passed, but there must be certain constraints and conditions imposed, as the final responsibility for a Nationals rests with the Board of Directors. Despite repeated requests for proper accounting of the 2005 Nationals and detailed planning for a future one, what was received was wholly inadequate. No money, from a stated surplus of over $2 000.00, has been returned to MAAC. No receipts have been submitted. With a Nationals, MAAC takes upon the itself, any risks of loss. All surplus profits, after reasonable individual and club expenses, belong to MAAC.

Awarding of the 2006 event must be conditional upon past and future accountability. The motion requesting this accountability is below. It represented a final attempt by the Board to obtain from Mr. Shaw, a suitable proposal and business like accounting. Twelve of thirteen Board members completely agreed that accountability was not properly addressed in anything sent to the MAAC office by Mr. Shaw. Had Mr. Shaw not withdrawn his application to run the Nationals in 2006, permission would not have been granted by the Board, as there was no guarantee that the event would adhere to proper standards of accountability.

We would like to thank the volunteers for their efforts in running the 2005 event. These people always always do an excellent job, every time they are called upon. They are valued members of MAAC. Their involvement in future events will be welcomed.

We would also like to thank Yves Lemire for his initial proposal for a Scale Aerobatics Championships.

All individual Interest Category Chairmen are now invited to submit proposals for national championships in their specific events for 2006. Applications should be forwarded to the MAAC office.

The following motion was passed by the Board of Directors by a 12 to 1 margin:

MOTION
"Moved that the MAAC board give its approval and support of the 2006
MAAC Nationals to be held at Chatham, ON, August 12-20, 2006. That
support be provided to the organizing committee chaired by Gerry Shaw,
subject to the following conditions:
1. An accurate financial report of the 2005 Nationals be submitted to
MAAC prior to the 2006 approval being given. This report must be
prepared by, and be signed by, two members of the organizing
committee, and must be accompanied by all entry forms, bank
statements, paid invoices and all related documents required by MAAC
auditors.
2. All profits from the 2005 Nationals must be remitted to MAAC prior
to the 2006 approval being given.
3. A detailed plan of events, personnel assignments and a detailed
budget must be submitted to, and approved by, the MAAC Board prior to
the 2006 approval being given.

4. For the 2006 Nationals, MAAC will provide seed money, if required.
The 2006 budget should show this seed money coming back to MAAC. In addition, it
must be agreed that profits, if any, will be forwarded to MAAC after all
expenses, including funds due to participating clubs or individuals for out
of pocket expenses, are paid. (i.e. no club or individual should be out of
pocket for event expenses).
To facilitate 2006 planning, all of the above must be completed by
November 30, 2005."

Moved by Doug MacMillan, ZD-BC
PASSED - 12 in favour to 1 against.
Old 12-01-2005, 10:45 PM
extra300xs

16 pages and no sign of stepping of the can.[link]http://www.rccanada.ca/bb/viewtopic.php?t=18603&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=225[/link]

I'm not sure if the Chatham club was expecting to get so much press [link=http://www.chathamaeronauts.com/]Chatham Aeronauts Website[/link]
50%300SFlyer wrote:
Jabba wrote:
a FINAL budget was turned in show $2100. going to the Chatham club for working running - supplying tents of other equ.

So the Chatham Club still has these funds now? What are they planning on doing with this $2100.00?

Chuck and Palmer,
Who is in possession of these funds now, and what will they be used for?[
If everything is on the up and up as you claim, you should have no trouble answering my question.
from what I understand:

Chatham got a cheque for $2100.00 they wrote a cheque for $2000. to the Canadian AeroModelers to run the Canadian Aeromodelers Championship 2006.
this is what I understand happen....
pictures http://imageevent.com/jabbathehutt
Old 12-01-2005, 11:38 PM
Sharpy01

Good luck getting any real answer on the money.

O'l Jabba contradicted himself so much in that thread that he was having trouble interpreting his own accounting.

"Tents"..........again. CHUckle, that was one of the expenses from World Scale 02 touted as something that could be reused by MAAC multiple times for these major events? Those ones must have worn out or something.

$2100.00 bucks? Piece of cake for these guys.

They managed to account a $70,000.00+ loss into a little over $5,000.00 loss with some interesting catgories. See for yourselves. I still can't figure it out?(note the $4200.00 Shelters designated as benefit to MAAC members?)
The whole report is still available online at:

http://mbz.portage.net/national/WSC2...eteReport.html
http://mbz.portage.net/national/WSC2...ilaReport.html

By the way, the bottom line is MAAC came out with over $70,000.00 less in the kitty than when that event began. Oh yeah, the board, which I was on at the time, requested, and was promised by that committee, an analysis of where things went wrong and what could be done to avoid something similar in the future................We never received it.

.........That event was the catalyst for the guidelines which they now chose not to accept. Facts is facts.

2002 WORLD RC SCALE AND SCALE U-CONTROL CHAMPIONSHIPS
INCOME STATEMENT

ITEM PARTICULARS EXPENSES
EXPENSES
JUDGES AND JURY MEMBERS

Air costs for travel ( 19 people ) ................................................ $17,936.09
Lodging $60/nite rounded up .................................................. ..$18,849.96
Meals $40/day .................................................. .......................$301.80
$37,087.85
AIRPORT SETUP

Zone Change .................................................. ........................$406.60
Rental of Airport based on number of spectators ..........................$3,482.00
Food Tent/Food Supplies .................................................. ......... $9,857.65
Field Supplies .................................................. ......................... $2,991.54
Shelters judges and radio inpound........................................... .. $4,223.06
Flags .................................................. ..................................... $2,981.00
Audio .................................................. .....................................$1,412.20
Washrooms .................................................. ........................... $3,873.47
Fuel .................................................. ....................................... $852.17
Beer Tent .................................................. .............................. $21,452.15
Radios .................................................. ................................... $629.63
Marquis Tents .................................................. ........................ $6,434.36
Deposit by Comm. For Marquis tents......................................... $1,700.00
$60,295.83

CEREMONIES

Opening with full size airshow .................................................. ......$9,889.15
Closing banquet with 500 people............................................ ......... $6,524.30
$16,413.45

TRANSPORTATION

Rental of 5 Vans.............................................. ............................... $9,233.99
Gas .................................................. ............................................. $1,181.34
Parking........................................... ................................................ $325.00
$10,740.33

PILOTS NEEDS

Crystal Awards/Plaques .................................................. .............. $2,253.50
Banquet Hall .................................................. ................................... $347.75
Trophies/Medals .................................................. ............................. $853.36
Programs ( 1000 full colour glossy )................................................. $7,069.69
Equipment .................................................. ..................................... $562.70
Gifts .................................................. .............................................$494. 16
Misc. .................................................. ............................................ $4,793.10
$16,374.26
PROMOTIONS

Promotional booklet .................................................. .........................$1,263.15
Radio Ads .................................................. ...................................... $5,311.76
Signs .................................................. ............................................ $2,183.83
T-shirts .................................................. ........................................ $1,938.09
Misc.............................................. ................................................. $5,022.15
Display and Toledo .................................................. ........................ $3,552.90
Scale Team Promotion .................................................. ................. $4,505.49
$23,777.37
VOLUNTEERS
Food .................................................. .............................................. $865.90
T-shirts/Volunteers/for Sale .................................................. .............. $5,921.79
$6,787.69

ADMINISTRATION
Web site .................................................. .......................................... $1,350.00
Web site up keep .................................................. ............................. $1,500.00
Office Supplies .................................................. ................................ $1,617.92
Meetings .................................................. .......................................... $1,332.91
Misc.............................................. .................................................. .... $106.47
Photography .................................................. .................................... $2,672.63
Postage .................................................. ............................................... $721.29
Photocopying & Printing .................................................. ..................... $1,122.16
St Johns Ambulance .................................................. .......................... $1,000.00
Phone Bill .................................................. .......................................... $839.17
$12,262.55

TOTAL EXPENSES TO DATE $183,739.33

SOURCES OF REVENUE INCOME
Pilots 54 @ 400 .................................................. ........................$21,600.00
Manager 15 @ 400 .................................................. .................. $6,000.00
Supporters 72 @ 80 .................................................. .................. $5,760.00
$33,360.00

Banquet .................................................. ..................................... $6,524.30
Spectators .................................................. ............................... $17,410.00
Harvard Ride Raffles .................................................. .................... $2,500.00
Beverage Income .................................................. ...................... $26,618.37
Income all other sources .................................................. ............ $34,423.46
MAAC .................................................. .......................................$62,903.20
$150,379.33

TOTAL INCOME ................................... $183,739.33

SUMMARY TO THIS POINT
TOTAL INCOME ............................................... $183,739.33
TOTAL EXPENSES ............................................ $183,739.33

SOURCE OF REVENUE CONTINUED
CHARGED BACK TO MAAC

Contributed by MAAC .................................................. ........... $62,903.20
Flags .................................................. ..................................... $1,490.50
Score Boards .................................................. ......................... $3,000.00
Album .................................................. ................................... $1,000.00
ACC (Needs to be collected)........................................ ............. $3,000.00
GST Refund (Needs to be collected)........................................ ... $4,254.06

TOTAL BACK TO MAAC .......... $12,744.56

NET CONTRIBUTION BY MAAC .......................................... $50,158.64
MAAC DESIGNATED FUND ................................................ $45,000.00
EXPENDITURE OVER AND ABOVE DESIGNATED FUND ............$5,158.64

Income from sale of videos and CD's (estimated)

MAAC MONEY TO MAAC MEMBERS

SHELTERS ..........$4,223.06
FLAG POLES........ $1,490.50
T-SHIRTS .......... $3,150.00
HATS ................ $2,500.00
FOOD ................ $3,000.00

MAAC BENEFIT TO VOLUNTEERS $14,363.56

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.