Community
Search
Notices
M.A.A.C. Discuss Model Aeronautics Association of Canada policies, decisions & any other MAAC related topics here.

FAI

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2006, 05:52 PM
can773
My Feedback: (1)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: FAI

ORIGINAL: Sharpy01

Bye, the bye......for the bazillioth time.... the site was not, never was.. "mine".
True but was it not just a continuation of the EZ Board forum that I beleive you started (this was a long long time ago)....which had the exact same arguments posted on it....

I remember basically the EZ Board forum closed as a result of the creation of the MBZ Site and MBZ forum.
Old 01-13-2006, 09:08 AM
britbrat

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: Jim_McIntyre

the former Zone King's "anti MAAC, anti-FAI" "discussion" site appears to be defunct.... or has it simply migrated here?

As a (former) member of that "other" site, I dissagree with that sweeping assessment. My experiences at the MBZ site indicated that various members were not anti-MAAC, but rather, were discussing various personal desires to CHANGE particular aspects of MAAC, not get rid of MAAC. The expressed personal views were quite varied and certainly were not in universal agreement.

I personally have never wanted to see MAAC fail, but there were, & are things within MAAC that I don't like. I strongly support MAAC, but I am also entitled to hold critical opinions and to expesss them without blanket condemnation.

It is the ongoing insiders clique at other sites, like RCC, that drive individuals to visist and participate in sites (such as this one) that have a more eclectic membership, & where discussions such as we are having, don't bring down hysterical attacks from the entrenched clique of reactionary lunatics.
Old 01-13-2006, 09:27 AM
Jim_McIntyre

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ORIGINAL: britbrat

the former Zone King's "anti MAAC, anti-FAI" "discussion" site appears to be defunct.... or has it simply migrated here?
As a (former) member of that "other" site, I dissagree with that sweeping assessment.
More of a generalization than a sweeping assesment, there are no absolutes.

I personally have never wanted to see MAAC fail, but there were, & are things within MAAC that I don't like. I strongly support MAAC, but I am also entitled to hold critical opinions and to expesss them without blanket condemnation.
Agreed... if you hold those same rights true for all.

It is the ongoing insiders clique at other sites, like RCC, that drive individuals to visist and participate in sites (such as this one) that have a more eclectic membership, & where discussions such as we are having, don't bring down hysterical attacks from the entrenched clique of reactionary lunatics.
A bit over the top but again, agreed. I tend to think this is because there are far fewer participating in this little corner of cyberspace. If numbers grow, crowd mentality will begin to seep in.

Y'know, having met many of the players, I find it strange that most of the "overzealous zealots" encountered online, have very different personalities than their online personna. Some of these guys are the most friendly/accomodating people you could meet. It's a pity that this medium somehow twists that behaviour into something less palatable.[sm=confused.gif]
Old 01-13-2006, 11:33 AM
Sharpy01
My Feedback: (12)

ORIGINAL: can773

True but was it not just a continuation of the EZ Board forum that I beleive you started (this was a long long time ago)....which had the exact same arguments posted on it....

I remember basically the EZ Board forum closed as a result of the creation of the MBZ Site and MBZ forum.
lol........ "EZ board"! I couldn't even remember that name. Other than some of the exchanges on the various forums helping to shape my opinion, it's interesting history that I'm sure all here will be interested in:

....ahhhKKHhemm!

History of the rise of a Zone King

-10+ years ago, a R/C guy in a small town of 1000 was in his 1st or 2nd year of the hobby. His club consisted of 2 or 3 guys and he thought it might be fun to go fly with some others in the region, quickly finding out that MAAC was needed to do this.
-The internet was in it's infancy and he stumbled across RCOnline and thought it might be cool to have a dedicated Canadian Forum.
-He discovered EZ Board service and created a very crude (technically, not by content), but the very 1st Canadian Internet Forum.
-By mistake, he received an email from one of the major RC suppliers at the time (now defunct) with all their customer's emails. Without realizing it, he became one of the very first RC email spammers when he used the list to notify RCers about the forum. Regardless, the forum got some members.
-He found out there was some passion regarding something called the FAI and when trying to find out what it was all about, some of the posters got cranky and began accusing him of being "anti-MAAC, anti-comp" and challenged him to "get involved with MAAC instead of dissin it.
-Well, he took that challenge and found out how to "get involved", learned the MAAC constitution and decided to run for the position of zone director.
-He mustered support in a very large geographical zone by flying at other club events and taking advantage of the internet to communicate with the various clubs and was elected.
-He decided that communication was important in such a large zone and worked with one a computer savey zone member to create MAAC's 1st zone website, posting zone and national information for all to review. Essentially, one of the first BLOG's was created before they were known as a blog. ie: http://mbz.portage.net/nationalissues.html
-The computer dude continued to add features to the website, including a much more refined Web forum that, in fact, replaced the original.
-The rest was all roses.

Talk about blowing my horn!

-the first Can. RC forum
-the first Can. RC spammer
-the first Can. RC dude to use the internet to coup the MAAC ZD's position
-the first Can. RC dude to get hated as a result of internet usage
-the first Can. RC Zone website
-one of the first Canadian BLOGs.....period.

.........Dang, who is going to nominate me for the MAAC Pioneer award??
Old 01-13-2006, 11:41 AM
gingertoad

Hi Marc,

Did you say "Pie-in-the-Ear Award????

Richard Barlow
Old 01-13-2006, 11:47 AM
Jim_McIntyre

First you deny all ownership, next you seek cannonization for that thing which you denied?[sm=bananahead.gif]

Will you next be following in Gore's footsteps by claiming to have invented MAAC?

Old 01-13-2006, 11:51 AM
Jim_McIntyre

First you deny you did it, next you seek cannonization for having been first to do it..... hmmnnn... what party are you running for again?
Old 01-13-2006, 12:27 PM
Sharpy01

First you deny you did it, next you seek cannonization for having been first to do it..... hmmnnn... what party are you running for again?

lol ........( lol on your's as well, Richard)

Yeah, I've been watching Martin too much lately............. (but I know I'm a better liar than he is)

My claims of "non-ownership" still hold true. I was only a catalyst, Jimmy. A participant? Absolutely. I needed some place to spread my hidden agenda. Work on the site and ownership was/is the other dudes' through his private company. I don't recall having had any direct contact with him since giving up the ZD job. The Mbz site was created for the zone members and is still in the hands of the zone members. I contributed as "zone king", but I no got that job no more dude.

[:-]

........so, are you going to nominate me Jim? Come on, you must admit I was a pinoneer in the field.
Old 01-13-2006, 12:45 PM
can773
My Feedback: (1)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

........so, are you going to nominate me Jim? Come on, you must admit I was a pinoneer in the field.
Pioneer....see third entry of the definition....considering that your geographical location can likely be decribed as bare/barren open area....and most consider you some form of animal and would certainly prefer you to be a plant....then I would say you could nearly classify as a Pioneer.....as you well established yourself.....or is the "pain in the ear?" rather than "pie in the ear"

You cant claim the second definition as RC Online had the original thought....and since you didnt run the MBZ site...it really was not "your" blog....so the third entry is your only hope for Pioneer status.

I love the history of the word though.... "from peon foot soldier"...I guess thats nearly applicable in this case lol.
Main Entry: 1pi·o·neer
Pronunciation: "pI-&-'nir
Function: noun
Etymology: Middle French pionier, from Old French peonier foot soldier, from peon foot soldier, from Medieval Latin pedon-, pedo -- more at PAWN
1 : a member of a military unit usually of construction engineers
2 a : a person or group that originates or helps open up a new line of thought or activity or a new method or technical development b : one of the first to settle in a territory
3 : a plant or animal capable of establishing itself in a bare, barren, or open area and initiating an ecological cycle
Old 01-13-2006, 01:16 PM
Jim_McIntyre

Come on, you must admit I was a pinoneer in the field.
Ok, I grant you status as 'pinoneer'.
Old 01-13-2006, 01:57 PM
Sharpy01

lol.......yeah, No. 3 definately. [sm=pirate.gif]

I would go for the "Pain in the *****" award, but I don't think I can compete with the perennial favourites.

Oh well, I guess I'll just slip quietly away into memory. [sm=drowning.gif]

Old 01-13-2006, 07:20 PM
ronnieo1

Caught by his own horsesh%%t?....denies that he was involved in the old forum and then brags about how he started it all.....rounded up up by his own posse. I love it...when he gets caught by the same game he likes to play on other people.... catch 'em bullin'. Thank god we don't have the likes of him in the streets down here.LOLOLOLOL. Hilarious!! Did you forget about the "high horse" comment? I didn't. LOL

Slip quietly into memory? hardly....Lol

That sad biography above was the "death" of the "Zone King"... and by his own admission on this forum it took the 2006 board to finally get things right.[X(] Zing!!
Old 01-13-2006, 09:44 PM
britbrat

I rest my case
Old 01-13-2006, 11:40 PM
Sharpy01

lol, yeah Ron, you're brilliant.

......but you forgot the part about me being on the grassy knoll.

Tell the truth Ron, is Jabba helping you write this stuff, cause it ain't fair that 2 of yas are gangin up on me to put all dem pieces together like a Picasso?
Old 01-14-2006, 10:11 AM
jhelps

lol, yeah Ron, you're brilliant.

......but you forgot the part about me being on the grassy knoll ...
Marc Sharpe has airplanes... in Canada.

You know who else wanted his airplanes in Canada? Herman Goering that's who! [X(]

We're not making this up.

Choose YOUR MAAC!!

Vote MEPA on January 23rd

paid for by the committee to elect MEPA (Modellers who Engage in Personal Attacks)

Old 01-15-2006, 11:39 PM
Sharpy01

ROFLOL.......
Old 01-17-2006, 11:06 PM
jhelps

Tkns

Jeff