Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > M.A.A.C.
Reload this Page >

New MAAC Executive

Notices
M.A.A.C. Discuss Model Aeronautics Association of Canada policies, decisions & any other MAAC related topics here.

New MAAC Executive

Old 03-19-2006, 09:28 AM
Sharpy01
My Feedback: (12)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default New MAAC Executive

Congrats to the new MAAC Executive.

Good luck with the upcoming year.

Pres - Richard Barlow (Ottawa)

VP - Kevin McGrath (N. Ont.)

Exec - Don Forness (Sask)

Exec - Doug McMillan (BC)

Past Pres - Carl Layden (Atlantic)
Old 03-19-2006, 08:55 PM
Jason Holdaway

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: New MAAC Executive

and the latest news is that the new constitution rules were passed. And the first new business was that Chuck Smith was removed of his membership (big surprise) motioned by John Boyd, seconded by myself. 3 against, about 500 substained, 6000 for. That speaks volumes. Good work. It was a privledge to meet the new board of directors. The meeting went a lot faster than expected. That goes to show a lot of unity within our board.
Old 03-19-2006, 10:08 PM
jhelps

ORIGINAL: Jason Holdaway

and the latest news is that the new constitution rules were passed. And the first new business was that Chuck Smith was removed of his membership (big surprise) motioned by John Boyd, seconded by myself. 3 against, about 500 substained, 6000 for. That speaks volumes. Good work. It was a privledge to meet the new board of directors. The meeting went a lot faster than expected. That goes to show a lot of unity within our board.

Jason

How exactly and for what reason did Chuck have his membership revoked? According to the new Bylaws revokation is by special resolution of the Board. Is that what happened? Have they indicated that Chuck will have an opportunity to "show cause" as to why this should not happen?

Overall pretty sad that it came to this.

Jeff
Old 03-20-2006, 01:12 AM
Rann

How exactly and for what reason did Chuck have his membership revoked?

Chuck Smith repeatedly refuses to be a director and fullfill his obligations as a member of MAAC's board. Not only that, far too much of the board's time this past year has been spent Carl read a LONG list of issues during his President's Report dealt with this year due to Smith's actions.

eg
- not filing proxies and attendance lists with MAAC headquarters after the AZM (try that when you run a polling station for Elections Canada and see how serious prevention of the accountability is!!!)
- interference with the work of the board (by not maintaining confidentiality, interference with board business such as insurance, sometimes by less than the most truthful means)
- refusing to be accountable for his actions while demanding superhuman accountability of others

According to the new Bylaws revokation is by special resolution of the Board. Is that what happened? Have they indicated that Chuck will have an opportunity to "show cause" as to why this should not happen?

He is to be officially contacted, informing him of the termination. He then has 30 days to contact the president, indicating that he wishes to show cause why his membership should not be revoked (essentially an appeal). Whatever he presents to show cause will be investigated and discussed by the entire board. The board will then vote to uphold or quash the termination of membership.

Yes...... rest assured the motion was not made lightly..... nor dealt with in a light fashion. It has been a long time in coming to this juncture. Unfortunately, after numerous chances to deal with these issues, he resigned at the last moment - thus robbing his zone of any representation in the board meetings and precious little at the AGM itself (only 2 votes from SW) .... all so he didn't have to account for his own actions. There has been far too much time dealing with a very select group of a few egos in the SW that has robbed MAAC time and energy to move forward. However, this actionwas needed so we, as an organization, can move on.
Old 03-20-2006, 07:45 AM
bbbair

ORIGINAL: Rann

.... There has been far too much time dealing with a very select group of a few egos in the SW that has robbed MAAC time and energy to move forward. However, this actionwas needed so we, as an organization, can move on.
Darned well time that it happend!

Here's wishing the SW Z all of the best in the future!

Perhaps this 'Event' will encourage the ordinary people to take more interest in the zone and elect someone 'LESS Controversial' that has the best interests of MAAC at heart.

Oh, dare to dream...
Old 03-20-2006, 09:00 AM
britbrat

ORIGINAL: jhelps

ORIGINAL: Jason Holdaway

Jason

How exactly and for what reason did Chuck have his membership revoked? According to the new Bylaws revokation is by special resolution of the Board. Is that what happened? Have they indicated that Chuck will have an opportunity to "show cause" as to why this should not happen?

Jeff
The reasons for this action shouldn't be discussed in detail on a public website. Speak to your zone directors.
Old 03-20-2006, 09:35 AM
Morison

ORIGINAL: britbrat
The reasons for this action shouldn't be discussed in detail on a public website. Speak to your zone directors.
If the the action was just and correctly done, I disagree. Rumours and unfouded speculation shoould not be waved around, but the facts of the action as it occurred at the meeting should be fair game - it was a public event.
Old 03-20-2006, 10:10 AM
britbrat

While I agree entirely with your comment, the reason for my post is that Mr Smith has shown a propensity for legal action. If someone was to inadvertently incorrectly post "reasons", or go beyond what was actually discussed at the meeting, that person just might get bitten by a lawyer. I'm not sure that it is worth the personal risk, but that is up to the individuals who are prepared to discuss this action on a website.
Old 03-20-2006, 10:25 AM
Morison

ORIGINAL: jhelps
According to the new Bylaws revokation is by special resolution of the Board. Is that what happened? Have they indicated that Chuck will have an opportunity to "show cause" as to why this should not happen?

Jeff
Jeff,
While I wasn't there, I suspect that this action used this clause:
Resignation
10. (2) Any member may be required to resign by a vote of three-quarters (3/4) of the members at an annual or special meeting of members of the Corporation.

As the motion was made and seconded by non board members, this would be the appropriate section, which doesn't actually provide an avenue for appeal. It would appear that the board is allowing for an appeal as a show of good faith or that the motion passed at the AGM was a motion to urge the board to terminate the member(ship), in which case the 30 day appeal window would be in place.

Old 03-20-2006, 11:08 AM
300sflyer
My Feedback: (5)

As someone who attended the AGM itself, and listened in on the Board meetings themselves prior to the AGM, perhaps I can clarify a few things.

In my opinion, the entire MAAC Board, [including 5 new Zone Directors] acted in a proper and professional manner through out the entire AGM.

The decision to terminate Mr Smiths membership, [made by a motion from the floor under new business which was allowed under the "new" bylaws] was not taken lightly by the Board itself, the MAAC Executive, or the MAAC members in attendance at the meeting.

In the end, after all of the facts concerning this issue were presented by our outgoing President, the decision was made. It was done so by an overwhelming majority, with only 3 people voting no, a few abstentions from the floor, and one abstention from one Zone Director. Everyone else in attendance, including 11 of 12 Zone Directors, voted in favor of the motion.

If you desire further details about the information that was presented by our now Past President, I would suggest you contact your Zone Director or any member of the new Executive.

With regards to obtaining a new ZD in the SW Zone, to the best of my recollection, it was explained at the meeting, that under the "new" bylaws, the Executive will now appoint a new SW ZD to hold the position, until the SW Zone meeting this fall, or a special meeting is called within the SW Zone to elect a different one.

On a personal note, I want to thank the entire Board for looking after the best interests of MAACs entire membership, especially during their recent difficult time in office. That is what they were elected to do, and IMO they are doing a fine job of it, and will continue to do so.
Old 03-20-2006, 01:40 PM
Rann

ORIGINAL: britbrat

While I agree entirely with your comment, the reason for my post is that Mr Smith has shown a propensity for legal action. If someone was to inadvertently incorrectly post "reasons", or go beyond what was actually discussed at the meeting, that person just might get bitten by a lawyer. I'm not sure that it is worth the personal risk, but that is up to the individuals who are prepared to discuss this action on a website.
I summarized VERY briefly some of what was put forward by our president as to the difficulties MAAC has had to deal within the past year. This was to give jhelps an answer to his question and present a small taste as to how serious the situation has gotten. This is not a case of personality conflicts gone amok. Nor is it a "one-off" situation - it has been going on, repeatedly, for a long while and has been carefully and methodically documented. I personally had to deal with one situation concerning insurance, causing me (as well as MAAC) a lot of wasted time, money and mis-spent energy. The issues have been serious and have forced a serious reply.

To obtain all the reasons why this action was taken, please contact your own zone director. If you belong to the SW zone, please contact either Kevin McGrath , our new VP, or Richard Barlow, our new president.

As for Mr. Smith's "propensity for legal action", he doesn't have one. Those threatened have not backed down. As far as I know, no answers have been received to the replies. He has not followed through with any of his threats to date.

John Boyd.
Old 03-20-2006, 01:56 PM
sivlE

ORIGINAL: Rann

As for Mr. Smith's "propensity for legal action", he doesn't have one. Those threatened have not backed down. As far as I know, no answers have been received to the replies. He has not followed through with any of his threats to date.

John Boyd.
Hi John, as one of the threatened, you are correct in stateing that there has been no follow-up to his legal threats. As a matter of fact, it was such a joke to recieve such a letter and false claims I had even thought of lending Chuck the money to sue me. At least I thought I could get an excellent return on my investment.
John Mainwaring
Old 03-20-2006, 02:05 PM
Morison

Regardless of the past lack of follow through - I wou;d still err on the sid of caution when making comments. Clearly there is a mindset of threatening or taking legal action when the grounds to do so are marginal at best. Often the threat is enough to achieve the desired results, and even filing suit can lead to 'out of court' settlements ...

In many ways, a 'terminated' member has NOTHING to lose and may just throw caution (and money) to the wind.
Old 03-20-2006, 02:32 PM
Sharpy01
My Feedback: (12)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've no doubt that the previous 10 years of history has made the BOD very good at documentation and justification related to this issue. I've stated my position on this in a previous thread, which was based on the small amount of information available on these sites. What we know is likely a fraction of the total amount of backroom dealings.

As previously stated, I'm sure the drama now continues, but I'm confident that BOD is doing what is best for the membership and will leave it to them. In essence, this AGM kinda closes the history book on my past involvement as a director. Just memories with some good friendships that have outlived the politics.

Good luck fellers. [8D]
Old 03-21-2006, 02:03 AM
Jason Holdaway

It is unfortunate that it had to come to this. I did not really like to see someones flying privledges taken away, but enough is enough. And this will hopefully serve notice to others wishing to follow his same footsteps. MAAC is for ALL of us. I have no doubt that he gave a lot to MAAC, but did he take more away from MAAC in credibility and accountability? Did he do it for MAAC or for himself? I really can't answer these questions. And by resigning just before the AGM, throwing away the zone's votes, I doubt he can either. I have no doubt that there will be some contraversy here in the SW zone, but I have no doubt that we can get over it and move on. The sooner the better IMO.

Congrats to the BOD for a job well done. All of you looked pretty tired by the end of it. It was certainly worth the airfare and expenses to meet you all in person.