RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   M.A.A.C. (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m-c-350/)
-   -   CANADIAN AEROMODELLING CHAMPIONSHIPS (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m-c-350/3604401-canadian-aeromodelling-championships.html)

kenair 11-30-2005 06:40 PM

CANADIAN AEROMODELLING CHAMPIONSHIPS

New for 2006 "THE CANADIAN AEROMODELLING CHAMPIONSHIPS"

[link=http://www.rccanada.ca/bb/viewtopic.php?t=19575]championship post off the can[/link]

November 30, 2005
To All MAAC Members
It is with great pleasure that the Canadian Aeromodellers Club in conjunction with the Chatham Aeronauts, and the Chatham- Kent Municipal Airport, officially announce the First Annual CANADIAN AEROMODELLING CHAMPIONSHIPS.

This annual event will be held at the Chatham Aeronauts Flying Field and the Chatham- Kent Municipal Airport August 12th to the 20th. The exact scheduling will be posted on the Canadian Aeromodellers Club web site shortly. We will keep you up to date

The Canadian Aeromodellers Club, a club dedicated to the promotion and development of competition across Canada, extends an invitation to participate in this exciting new national competition venue which will include all of the following R/C and Control Line events.

RC Scale Aerobatics RC Scale
RC Precision Arobatics RC Combat
RC Sam Control Line events
Other Elements will be considered

More information will be coming soon.

britbrat 11-30-2005 08:27 PM

RE: CANADIAN AEROMODELLING CHAMPIONSHIPS

I'm somewhat confused -- is this a "Nats", or is it something else that replaces the Nats, or is it an attempt to start a new organization ---or what?

can773 11-30-2005 09:13 PM

Through careful reading its obviously a sanctioned event put on by the Canadian Aeromodellers Club with the name Canadian Aeromodelling Championships....

No different than any club putting on an event and calling it the ***** Championships.....its done all the time.

bbbair 11-30-2005 09:57 PM

After due consideration, I don't have a problem with the event (the name - perhaps...)

Consider;
-MAAC will no longer be providing any 'Seed Money', only insurance - as long as they meet the MAAC standards for such an event.
-We (MAAC members) will no longer get embroiled in heated arguements about where the money went, accountability - the old "US against THEM" arguements and my Mom can whoop your Mom!... ;)

So let them have their event, they can have ALL the Profits, headaches and worries if they get rained out. I have been participating in a similar event since 1995 - I KNOW the trials and tribulations that they are faced with. [:@]

Good Luck to them.

I just don't like the name - it 'IMPLIES' that it is a sanctioned event, complete with titles etc - when it is really just a big FUN FLY. But Hey, I Like Fun Flies! :D ;)

jhelps 11-30-2005 09:59 PM

Chad

Could you point me to some of the other R/C "championship" events being held by MAAC clubs?

Never heard it used like that before so am very curious.

All in all I wish them well. Perhaps after all these years a permanent home for a quality event at no cost to MAAC has finally arrived. "IF you build it they will come" in action.

Should make EVERYONE happy - but of course it won't.

Jeff

can773 11-30-2005 11:57 PM

ORIGINAL: jhelps

Chad

Could you point me to some of the other R/C "championship" events being held by MAAC clubs?

Never heard it used like that before so am very curious.

All in all I wish them well. Perhaps after all these years a permanent home for a quality event at no cost to MAAC has finally arrived. "IF you build it they will come" in action.

Should make EVERYONE happy - but of course it won't.

Jeff
Ones I attend annually...

Western Canadian Pattern Championships
BC Precision Aerobatics Championships

There are others....many pattern events use championships in their name somewhere.

Sharpy01 12-01-2005 12:36 AM

If their intent is true, in that they intend to establish a stand-alone event that isn't held up by a MAAC financial safety net, then wonderful. I don't care what they call it.

However, knowing the players, reading, and tactically participating, in that RCC thread, I fear this is all a staged bunch of posturing designed to ultimately get their way and have MAAC financially backstop their event without having to answer to accounting practices or adhere to the guidelines established to avoid another World Scale 02 disaster. For example, I doubt MAAC will ever see the final report/budget numbers from the "so-called" 05 NATS.

I hope I'm wrong. I also hope the board doesn't soften on their stand. These are the wrong people to show weakness to.

Jim_McIntyre 12-01-2005 09:12 AM

ORIGINAL: Sharpy01
However, knowing the players, reading, and tactically participating, in that RCC thread, I fear this is all a staged bunch of posturing designed to ...
... For example, I doubt MAAC will ever see the final report/budget numbers from the "so-called" 05 NATS.
:eek:

Mr Sharpe,

Pre-judging this new event based on your prejudices?
Please explain your inference;

"so called" 05 NATS
Such a "tactical participant". :eek:

Is it possible for any event not organised by your own little "in" club to escape your spin doctoring?
You continuously criticise any undertaking of Gerry and Chuck's. This behaviour suports my impression of a very bitter individual who feels a need to justify their merit through criticising the work of others. Perhaps you feel this is safer than expending effort (and risk) in your own ventures, as they might not stand the same scrutiny you impose on others?

Sharpy01 12-01-2005 12:03 PM

Take a step into reality Jim.

The 05 Nats was a last minute event with modest participation and contained all the same pre-posturing BS that the World Scale 02 event and now, the staged colapse of a last minute 06 Nats.

The common denominator with all the controversy surrounding the continued attack on the board and executive .................. is not me Jim.

I'm afraid the organizer's smoke n mirrors/spin, whatever you want to call it was painfully apparent on the RCC thread where far more people than I, (even members close to the organizers) were questioning the need for stirring the pot.

Perhaps this will clear it up for you?

I believe their "New" event is the way all events should be organized. Stand alone. My fear is that we are just seeing the next phase of "grandstanding" to ultimately get their way of having MAAC back the event without much accountability. History would suggest my concern is well-founded.

Just Do IT. Why incite a bunch of hard feelings? The whole announcement was calculated from the beginning and they've tainted the event before it even got off the ground. Their method was spiteful and ignorant, designed to embarrass/discredit some members of the board, even though the board made the only decision they could to maintain credibility.

My judgement is based on their actions, which apparently haven't changed much since I was a player.

The Event? I hope it's a roaring success so MAAC can finally get away from babysitting events once and for all. They have been hugely distracting when it comes to getting some real work done, not to mention the main source of conflict within the association for many years.

...my humble view. [8D]

clarification needed? Get it yet? 2+2 still equals 4. No spin

Sharpy01 12-01-2005 12:42 PM

...like I said. It's tainted before it even starts.

How do you put a positive light or suggest me, Ken or others somehow caused their lack of credibility when you read the following Jim? 12 to 1 Jim. I doubt you are receiving full disclosure from those you defend because I don't believe you would allow your credibility to fall into question if you had all the info.

General MAAC News
Date last modified : December 1, 2005
Created by : Jason L. Aube -- 56821
Subject : NATIONALS 2006 ANNOUNCEMENT
News: Mr. Gerald Shaw has withdrawn his application to hold a centralized MAAC Nationals.

The Board very much regrets having to announce that there will be no combined, all discipline MAAC Nationals held in 2006. It was the desire of the Board that a Nationals should take place, and a vote in favour of holding such an event was held and passed, but there must be certain constraints and conditions imposed, as the final responsibility for a Nationals rests with the Board of Directors. Despite repeated requests for proper accounting of the 2005 Nationals and detailed planning for a future one, what was received was wholly inadequate. No money, from a stated surplus of over $2 000.00, has been returned to MAAC. No receipts have been submitted. With a Nationals, MAAC takes upon the itself, any risks of loss. All surplus profits, after reasonable individual and club expenses, belong to MAAC.

Awarding of the 2006 event must be conditional upon past and future accountability. The motion requesting this accountability is below. It represented a final attempt by the Board to obtain from Mr. Shaw, a suitable proposal and business like accounting. Twelve of thirteen Board members completely agreed that accountability was not properly addressed in anything sent to the MAAC office by Mr. Shaw. Had Mr. Shaw not withdrawn his application to run the Nationals in 2006, permission would not have been granted by the Board, as there was no guarantee that the event would adhere to proper standards of accountability.

We would like to thank the volunteers for their efforts in running the 2005 event. These people always always do an excellent job, every time they are called upon. They are valued members of MAAC. Their involvement in future events will be welcomed.

We would also like to thank Yves Lemire for his initial proposal for a Scale Aerobatics Championships.

All individual Interest Category Chairmen are now invited to submit proposals for national championships in their specific events for 2006. Applications should be forwarded to the MAAC office.

The following motion was passed by the Board of Directors by a 12 to 1 margin:

MOTION
"Moved that the MAAC board give its approval and support of the 2006
MAAC Nationals to be held at Chatham, ON, August 12-20, 2006. That
support be provided to the organizing committee chaired by Gerry Shaw,
subject to the following conditions:
1. An accurate financial report of the 2005 Nationals be submitted to
MAAC prior to the 2006 approval being given. This report must be
prepared by, and be signed by, two members of the organizing
committee, and must be accompanied by all entry forms, bank
statements, paid invoices and all related documents required by MAAC
auditors.
2. All profits from the 2005 Nationals must be remitted to MAAC prior
to the 2006 approval being given.
3. A detailed plan of events, personnel assignments and a detailed
budget must be submitted to, and approved by, the MAAC Board prior to
the 2006 approval being given.

4. For the 2006 Nationals, MAAC will provide seed money, if required.
The 2006 budget should show this seed money coming back to MAAC. In addition, it
must be agreed that profits, if any, will be forwarded to MAAC after all
expenses, including funds due to participating clubs or individuals for out
of pocket expenses, are paid. (i.e. no club or individual should be out of
pocket for event expenses).
To facilitate 2006 planning, all of the above must be completed by
November 30, 2005."

Moved by Doug MacMillan, ZD-BC
PASSED - 12 in favour to 1 against.

Jim_McIntyre 12-01-2005 02:20 PM

ORIGINAL: Sharpy01
3. A detailed plan of events, personnel assignments and a detailed
budget must be submitted to, and approved by, the MAAC Board prior to
the 2006 approval being given.
From my reading between the 'noise', I believe this may have been the stumbling block....

Less conspiratorial or insidious than what is being inferred.... certainly less interesting than the various spins.

britbrat 12-01-2005 03:13 PM

Now that things have been clarified :eek: -- I wish them well with their "championship" -- using their own resources.

j79 12-01-2005 03:22 PM

I believe this may have been the stumbling block....
This too funny! :)

maybe it could it have been hmmmmmmm,[X(]
let see there must be at least 10 reasons, no there had to be a hundred reasons, no, a hundred thousand, no a hundred million, no a hundred zillion,
yeah that's it a hundred zillion reasons the sw zone bid for maac nats 2006 fell through.

here are a few more ..............
"Browny, you're doing a hella of job on planning MAAC nats 2006"
"Weapons of mass destruction will be at maac 2006"
"I was only the finance minister for maac 2005"
"I smelled but never inhaled any glow fumes."
" we were trying to save the country and the separatists were gaining a stronghold in maac"

Jim_McIntyre 12-01-2005 03:50 PM

:eek:

Wow! Wherever did you find the time to come up with such helpful witicism.

Ed Smith 12-01-2005 06:39 PM

I consider myself an honest and upright individual. I have been a Discipline CD at many Ontario NATS. In this environment I have had dealings with SW Zone people. Marc is correct. My comment is that if you deal with the Devil, your destination is assured.

Ed S

Jim_McIntyre 12-05-2005 11:42 AM

ORIGINAL: Ed Smith
My comment is that if you deal with the Devil, your destination is assured.
The devil appears in many guises.... [sm=tired.gif]

j79 12-05-2005 07:21 PM

The devil appears in many guises
If we hold on to attitudes or prejudices that exclude others or are self-righteous, then we need to repent and change our ways. If we've become so wrapped up in our own wants that we're no longer careful of our world or its people, then we need to look again at our call to stewardship. We need to do this as individuals.

Sharpy01 12-05-2005 10:14 PM

.hey man..............that's deep.

I hope that means we should boot them theiving Liberals out on their *****es! [>:]

Jim_McIntyre 12-06-2005 09:05 AM

While we're quoting;

From the Scholars version (Matthew 7:3 through 7:5);

Why do you notice the sliver in your friend’s eye, but overlook the timber in your own? How can you say to your friend, "Let me get the sliver out of your eye, when there is that timber in your own? You phony, first take the timber out of your own eye and then you’ll see well enough to remove the sliver from your friends eye.

medvig 12-07-2005 09:40 AM

MAAC should get off their high horses and help out CAC get this event off the ground.

Applehoney 12-07-2005 09:49 AM

The proposed CAC is a club event and MAAC has no direct connection with it.

What 'high horse' ??

Morison 12-07-2005 09:51 AM

ORIGINAL: medvig

MAAC should get off their high horses and help out CAC get this event off the ground.
Why should MAAC do anything more for this event than they would for any other club operated event?

Why should MAAC simply turn a blind eye to event organisers that are working to undermine MAAC efforts?

Jim_McIntyre 12-07-2005 12:03 PM

ORIGINAL: Morison
Why should MAAC...
I think we're seeing some pent up hopes for a Nationals or similar event.

Perhaps the old approach of MAAC hoping for volunteers to step forward to run Nationals is too passive?
Perhaps MAAC could take a more active role and pro-actively organize the Nationals?

It would eliminate a lot of the noise associated with the current 'situation' and might even help the budget...[sm=confused.gif]

Just a thought....

bbbair 12-07-2005 12:22 PM

ORIGINAL: Jim_McIntyre

Perhaps the old approach of MAAC hoping for volunteers to step forward to run Nationals is too passive?
Perhaps MAAC could take a more active role and pro-actively organize the Nationals?

It would eliminate a lot of the noise associated with the current 'situation' and might even help the budget...[sm=confused.gif]

Just a thought....
Such an interesting thought, not very practical though.

The amount of planning and preparation that goes into an event such as this runs into the hundreds of manhours, then there is the actual operation of the event - you now have THOUSANDS of Manhours.

At a minimum of $10.00/hr for wages plus expenses this would cost MAAC ... a lot of money [:'(] [:@]
Thanks - we survived the 02 Worlds, let's not push our luck.

Like it or not this is an organization that is operated by, and survives with VOLUNTEERS. We cannot afford "PROFESSIONALS" to run the operation to the perfect standards that we might like. Sometimes we just have to 'make do' - a fact of life.

Todays Thought;
The Titanic was made by Professionals.
The Ark was made by Amateurs.

Which boat would you rather have sailed on? ;)

Sharpy01 12-07-2005 01:56 PM

If there isn't enough interest to run an event, what is the point?

Many large events get done every year with nothing more than a MAAC sanction form and a bunch of dedicated enthusiasts who ask, nor want anything further. MAAC shouldn't be in the business of running single events. It has proven time..........and time.......and time again to be a major source of division and controversy within the association.

Let the membership decide what they want is best for them and avoid micro-management and things will run much smoother.

The board need only concern themselves with making sure that our fun is insured, our interests are being attended to with respect to Government/Transport Canada.

IMO.....of course. [8D]