Community
Search
Notices
The Clubhouse If it doesn't fit in any other category and is about general RC stuff then post it here at the Clubhouse.

Site problems

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2012, 06:47 PM
tacx
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Site problems

What is with this RC Universe site. I have enjoyed it for years, but lately it has becomes a pain. First, it seems to have gotten very slow. (Not my computer, It works fine everywhere else). Second, and the most aggravating, is I sometimes type out a reply to someones post, click the OK button and get a "timed out" message. When this happens you loose everything you typed out. What a pain. If this continues I'm afraid I won't be visiting much in the future.

That's a shame because this still is a very good site.

Anyway, HOPE THIS GOES THROUGH!!!!
Old 02-12-2012, 07:14 PM
Ed

Default RE: Site problems

+1, it's been painfully slow. Groups & Giants have been slick, so it's not the puter.
Old 02-12-2012, 09:51 PM
Silent-AV8R

Same here. I've tried three different computers, two different operating systems and four different browsers. Same basic issues across the board. Very frustrating. All other websites I visit work perfectly. RCU is the sole issue.
Old 02-13-2012, 04:16 AM
TomCrump

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I know that we get what we pay for, but I wonder if the site's sponsors are getting value for their money. I would think it would be to RCU's benefit to solve this problem.

Less site participation, equals less advertisement viewing. Fewer people reading ads should equate into less money in RCU's bank account.
Old 02-13-2012, 06:11 AM
outdoorhunting

OK, I just typed out an answer to your post &clicked on "OK," it came back " internal servor error" I went to another site & typed in a short post, it went right through. Now I'll try this & see what happens.
Old 02-13-2012, 06:13 AM
outdoorhunting

Jeesh, it went right through !! It seems to be a crap shoot !!!
Old 02-13-2012, 06:19 AM
MinnFlyer
My Feedback: (4)

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

This has been said many times, but it's worth repeating...

When the new owners took over, they were told that the site was severly bandaged together and that they should not update the servers, but they went ahead and updated anyway and the site took a dirt nap. They have most of the problems fixed now, but they are constantly trying to fix the smaller issues. I think that the loading issue is the resuly of a fix that didn't work properly. I've noticed that one minute the site works fine and the next it's screwy - Then it will be ok again.

Just be patient, all should be right again in time.
Old 02-13-2012, 06:50 AM
Hill202
My Feedback: (24)

Thanks for the update Minnflyer!
Old 02-13-2012, 07:06 AM
scale only 4 me
My Feedback: (158)

Received 51 Likes on 49 Posts

Mike,
We appreciate all you guys do, but frankly these problems have been going on too long with the same BS response. Maybe that's what what you're being told,, But from here it sure looks like nothing is happening except it's getting worse.

And why would it be hppening across different software platforms,, server drops and load problems happen in the classifieds aswell and correct me if I'm wrog,, that's completely different software

I think the most frustrating part is no real information from the Admin or who ever is in charge.

Sure looks like a crappy server issue to me.

Having to copy everything before you hit that "ok" button every time is getting old
Old 02-13-2012, 07:09 AM
MinnFlyer
My Feedback: (4)

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I agree and I wish I knew more, but I can't fix it, I can only explain what's going on
Old 02-13-2012, 07:59 AM
RCKen
RCU Forum Manager/Admin
My Feedback: (9)

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

As Mike indicated, many problems happened when this site was sold. RCU is a multi-platform that has been coded and patched together over the years, and many problems occurred when the system was ported to Internet Brands servers. Most of those problems from the initial move have been fixed, however there are still problems coming. IB is working to fix those problems as well. The reason we are having problems now is because IB is trying to get the software ready for a planned upgrade to a new software platform. Unfortunately there is no way to simply make the move to the new software unless they get the old platform stable and ready for the upgrade. 

We understand that the problems are frustrating, and believe me when I tell you that we feel your pain as we endure the same frustrations at times as well.  However, we also see the light at the end of the tunnel as well. Once we make the upgrade to the new platforms the problems will simply be a thing of the past. RCU and IB are committed to servicing the RC public in the same fashion as we always have and will continue to do. We ask that you hang in there with us. If you are experiencing major problems please report them to the moderators for your forums as they can then pass them to me and I can get them to IB. This will help us address the problems quicker

I hope this helps some.

Ken
Old 02-13-2012, 08:04 AM
outdoorhunting

( Second try. ) Thanks Minn, I know the Mods would like to get it fixed too.
Old 02-13-2012, 08:49 AM
scale only 4 me

a new one today

I've gotten error 500 before, but never with the expanded info,,

good luck
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Pn36087.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	95.6 KB
ID:	1726469   Click image for larger version

Name:	Yw67504.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	124.7 KB
ID:	1726470  
Old 02-13-2012, 09:00 AM
RCKen
RCU Forum Manager/Admin
My Feedback: (9)

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

ORIGINAL: scale only 4 me

a new one today

I've gotten error 500 before, but never with the expanded info,,

good luck
That actually helps us a ton. this way the programmers can see the error details. I'm passing this on to the programers. THanks

Old 02-13-2012, 10:36 AM
thebluemax
My Feedback: (151)

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I am using IE-8 on one computer and IE-9 on another and I have been having the same issues here as everyone else. This morning I had them again and right after that I went under the tools bar and change the "Compatibility View" setting so there was a check on it.  

Since I have done that I have not had any issues. Now it has only been a few hours since I did it but since I did I have not had any problems.  So give it a try and see if it works for you. 
Old 02-13-2012, 11:47 AM
raptureboy

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I've taken to writing all my posts into a word doc first then copying into the post.But it is frustrating for sure, nice that someone finally spoke up and let us know whats up.
Old 02-13-2012, 04:02 PM
Silent-AV8R

Here you go, just a few seconds ago I went to post a ver short response and got this:

We are sorry...

You are seeing this message because of one of the following reasons:

Your session timed out.
The server was restarted before you made a HTTP POST (posting a message, registering an account, login, etc.)
Problem #1:

You probably spent too much time and your session timed out. This is, however, rarely the cause of the problem because we implemented a session keep-alive mechanism to prevent this issue from happening. However, the server itself could have experienced some problems that prevented this mechanism to work as it should, and therefore we cannot completely rule out the possibility of this either.

You need to make sure your browser has cookies enabled. See below for instructions:

Netscape Communicator 4+:

Select "Edit" from the browser Menu bar
Select "Preferences"
Double click on "Advanced"
Verify that "Accept only cookies that get sent back to the originating server" is selected
Select the "OK" button
Microsoft Internet Explorer 4+:

Select "View" from the browser Menu bar
Select "Internet Options"
Select "Security" tab
Select "Custom (for expert users)" security level and select the "Settings" button
Locate "Cookies" and verify that "Allow per-session cookies (not stored)" is enabled
Select the "OK" button on the "Security" window
Select the "OK" button on the "Internet Options" window
If you already have cookies enabled and still experienced the problem, see problem #2 below for other possible causes.

Problem #2:

Your server experienced problems and was forced to restart. Restarting a server will erase all session data and our protective mechansim had no choice but to drop your HTTP POST because we had no way to identify you without valid session data.

Many forum administrators host their forums on shared servers, on which could have more than 200 sites hosted together. Sometimes the server has to be restarted because some badly written programs on other sites may drain the CPU/RAM and cause the IIS to restart itself. This is unfortunately an inevitable situation that many site administrators and its users have to face from time to time.

Technical Information

For more information, please contact forum admin.
I am using an Apple computer running OSX 10.6.8 and Chrome as my browser
Old 02-13-2012, 04:33 PM
outdoorhunting

Exact same thing happened to me this AM. I reposted immediately following & it went right through, go figure !!
Old 02-13-2012, 07:16 PM
BobbyMcGee

ORIGINAL: MinnFlyer

This has been said many times, but it's worth repeating...

When the new owners took over, they were told that the site was severly bandaged together and that they should not update the servers, but they went ahead and updated anyway and the site took a dirt nap. They have most of the problems fixed now, but they are constantly trying to fix the smaller issues. I think that the loading issue is the resuly of a fix that didn't work properly. I've noticed that one minute the site works fine and the next it's screwy - Then it will be ok again.

Just be patient, all should be right again in time.
I've noticed the exact opposite ... the site is screwy, then it works fine, then it's screwy again!
Old 02-13-2012, 07:17 PM
Iflyglow
My Feedback: (79)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I get the same error page most of time.

ORIGINAL: Silent-AV8R

Here you go, just a few seconds ago I went to post a ver short response and got this:

We are sorry...

You are seeing this message because of one of the following reasons:

Your session timed out.
The server was restarted before you made a HTTP POST (posting a message, registering an account, login, etc.)
Problem #1:

You probably spent too much time and your session timed out. This is, however, rarely the cause of the problem because we implemented a session keep-alive mechanism to prevent this issue from happening. However, the server itself could have experienced some problems that prevented this mechanism to work as it should, and therefore we cannot completely rule out the possibility of this either.

You need to make sure your browser has cookies enabled. See below for instructions:

Netscape Communicator 4+:

Select ''Edit'' from the browser Menu bar
Select ''Preferences''
Double click on ''Advanced''
Verify that ''Accept only cookies that get sent back to the originating server'' is selected
Select the ''OK'' button
Microsoft Internet Explorer 4+:

Select ''View'' from the browser Menu bar
Select ''Internet Options''
Select ''Security'' tab
Select ''Custom (for expert users)'' security level and select the ''Settings'' button
Locate ''Cookies'' and verify that ''Allow per-session cookies (not stored)'' is enabled
Select the ''OK'' button on the ''Security'' window
Select the ''OK'' button on the ''Internet Options'' window
If you already have cookies enabled and still experienced the problem, see problem #2 below for other possible causes.

Problem #2:

Your server experienced problems and was forced to restart. Restarting a server will erase all session data and our protective mechansim had no choice but to drop your HTTP POST because we had no way to identify you without valid session data.

Many forum administrators host their forums on shared servers, on which could have more than 200 sites hosted together. Sometimes the server has to be restarted because some badly written programs on other sites may drain the CPU/RAM and cause the IIS to restart itself. This is unfortunately an inevitable situation that many site administrators and its users have to face from time to time.

Technical Information

For more information, please contact forum admin.
I am using an Apple computer running OSX 10.6.8 and Chrome as my browser
Old 02-13-2012, 07:20 PM
Warbirdguy

Ive been doing the same thing for now. Before I click ok to send the message, I do a highlight and copy. that way, if it doesnt take, I can come back in a few mins and paste and try again I know its a pain, but, being involved in a gaming website and helping problems with code and buttons that stop working and stuff like that, I can say they will get it fixed eventually. Ill just wait it out

WBG
Old 02-13-2012, 07:24 PM
BobbyMcGee

ORIGINAL: RCKen

As Mike indicated, many problems happened when this site was sold. RCU is a multi-platform that has been coded and patched together over the years, and many problems occurred when the system was ported to Internet Brands servers. Most of those problems from the initial move have been fixed, however there are still problems coming. IB is working to fix those problems as well. The reason we are having problems now is because IB is trying to get the software ready for a planned upgrade to a new software platform. Unfortunately there is no way to simply make the move to the new software unless they get the old platform stable and ready for the upgrade.

We understand that the problems are frustrating, and believe me when I tell you that we feel your pain as we endure the same frustrations at times as well. However, we also see the light at the end of the tunnel as well. Once we make the upgrade to the new platforms the problems will simply be a thing of the past. RCU and IB are committed to servicing the RC public in the same fashion as we always have and will continue to do. We ask that you hang in there with us. If you are experiencing major problems please report them to the moderators for your forums as they can then pass them to me and I can get them to IB. This will help us address the problems quicker

I hope this helps some.

Ken
Thanks for this info. Please also let us knowthe datethe UPGRADE is planned to be installed. That way, I can order lots of NETFLIX movies for that week!
Old 02-13-2012, 07:35 PM
collector1231
My Feedback: (1)

We should hold a fundraiser for new servers, so we dont have to keep using these old bandaged ones. Just a thought. P.S; how old are the servers?
Old 02-13-2012, 07:36 PM
thebluemax
My Feedback: (151)

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

ORIGINAL: Warbirdguy

Ive been doing the same thing for now. Before I click ok to send the message, I do a highlight and copy. that way, if it doesnt take, I can come back in a few mins and paste and try again I know its a pain, but, being involved in a gaming website and helping problems with code and buttons that stop working and stuff like that, I can say they will get it fixed eventually. Ill just wait it out

WBG

I have been doing the PITAcopy and paste thing as well.Or at least when I remember to do it. However, ever since I changed my browser's settingto display allweb sites in compatability view I have not had to do that. I don't know if it works for everyone but so far I have not experienced the problem and the pages do seem to be loading faster. Give it a try. If it doesn't work you can switch it back.
Old 02-13-2012, 07:52 PM
scale only 4 me

thebluemax
That makes no difference for me,,,

It really getting to the point the site is unusable when half the time you click on something and you get something like this

Server Error
500 - Internal server error.
There is a problem with the resource you are looking for, and it cannot be displayed.
And then I come back to this thread and 4-5 guys have posted in the thread I've just had issues with,, This makes me think the sever is locking you out. Works for a while,, then you get the boot,,, have to wait 15-20 minutes,, then come back and it works again, ,That seams to be the scenario for me.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.