Community
Search
Notices
O.S. Engines Support Ask Bill Baxter your questions about O.S. Engines.

Question about the Hanno Specials

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2003, 04:48 AM
fungcc
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Question about the Hanno Specials

Hi Bill,

What are the differences between the original "Hanno Special" and the later "Hanno Special Mk II"? Could one distinguish them just by visual inspection?

Also, as far as I know, the "Mk II" has ringed and non-ringed version. Is the former an ABC-ringed piston configuration and is that the only difference between the two?

Thanks.

Clement
Old 12-18-2003, 04:55 PM
Bax
My Feedback: (11)

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default RE: Question about the Hanno Specials

Between the Hanno I and Hanno II, there are few differences. Some in styling/color. A slight change in the carb, but they both have the same piston/cylinder assembly, so the power's the same on both. A slight change in the pump system was made, also. The original pump had an ajustment, but it was found to be of little use, so the adjusment was removed.

The ringed version was brought out because a number of fliers liked ringed engines better. It's not any better or worse than the non-ringed version.

Proper set up, they would turn an APC 12 x 12 prop at about 9,600 RPM, using fuel with 10% nitro. A tuned pipe is essential for proper running.
Old 12-18-2003, 08:34 PM
fungcc
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thank you for the info.

I have heard many times the OS Hanno pipe (the red anodized one) is actually the Hatori #650 long chamber, not the #700 super long either. Is that true? O.S. stated that the Hanno pipe would not fit the O.S. 61RF-P ABC, does that mean the #650 is too long for the 61RF-P?

Have a great one this Christmas.

Clement
Old 12-19-2003, 10:19 AM
Bax
My Feedback: (11)

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

We'd not know who makes the O.S. Max tuned pipes. It's not beyond any reason that they'd be subcontracted...it's common in all industries, but we have no information on the vendor.

When piped, the O.S. Max .61 RF Hanno should be propped so that it turns in the middle 9,000's. The regular O.S. Max .61 SF/RF engines should be propped to turn high 11,000's when piped. This is quite a difference in RPM, and mandates different pipes. The Hanno pipe will be a bit longer because of the lower RPM.

On our test stand, we've always used the O.S. Hanno pipe and header and have always been impressed with how well the engine runs when it's been broken-in and tuned correctly.