Engine Conversions Discuss all aspects of engine conversions in this forum

Home Made Ryobi 31cc Engine Mount

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2003, 05:20 AM
Ric
My Feedback: (4)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Home Made Ryobi 31cc Engine Mount

Many of you have probably already done this, cuz its real simple, but that's why I like it...
I found that when I took measurements off of my 31cc Ryobi, that is is very "inch" friendly, and that I could easily make an engine mount from existing material, without fabrication. I got some rectangular aluminum tube from Industrial Metal Supply in Burbank, CA. Dimensions (outer) are 3" X 1 3/4", with 1/8" wall thickness. I cut off a piece of this tube 3" long. Notice in the pics how the engine is off to one side of the mount, and not centered. This is because the carb is offset from the centerline of the engine. I just centered up the carb to the mount, as this make access to the carb and throttle linkage easier. (Just remember to factor this offset in engine offset, firewall mounting, etc., as the center of the engine mount is not the center of the engine.) The big round hole was cut with a 2" hole saw. There is another 2" hole at the other side of the mount, flush to the back plate of the engine (offset, of course). Made holes to access each of the four original backplate screws, throttle link, and fuel line. "L" brackets on sides are cut from the same stock, and secured with 10 size machine screws and nylock nuts. With this mount, I don't need a carb spacer, I just removed the material that was getting hit by the throttle arm. No welding or machining needed! I used only a power hand drill and a file. Simple!...I'm also cheapskate... just ask the wife and kids!
It seems to be working out great in my Pacific Aeromodels GB-Y. I'm going to try the same on a Dynaflight Super Decathalon. I'm sure that those of you out there can come up with ideas more clever than this - and I want to see 'em.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Om32423.jpg
Views:	218
Size:	68.9 KB
ID:	86201   Click image for larger version

Name:	Kf12866.jpg
Views:	278
Size:	71.2 KB
ID:	86202  
Old 12-30-2003, 06:45 AM
BigBird1

Default RE: Home Made Ryobi 31cc Engine Mount

Good looking mount.....
Old 12-30-2003, 09:08 AM
jstanton
My Feedback: (14)

Received 26 Likes on 26 Posts

Great looking engine mount. I looks like it is shorter than the other Ryobi engine mounts that are available for purchase. I this I will give this a try on my spare Ryobi I have. Thanks for the directions on how you did this.
Old 12-30-2003, 09:24 AM
BigBird1

How much clearance between back of the carb and the back of the mount...?
Old 12-30-2003, 11:17 AM
Ric

The clearance from the carb to the firwall is only 5/16". So I cut a hole into the firewall for better air volume at the carb entrance. I kept the overall engine and mount as short as possible, be caouse this engine is rather long to start with. I have since noticed other rear-carbed engines, and like the idea of having the backplate of the engine at the firewall, and having the carb protrude beyond the firewall. This would make the engine mount much less complex. My only concern with this is would there be a fire issue?
Old 12-30-2003, 12:57 PM
DBF

Ric, that is a good looking mount. I don't see why 5/16" clearance between the carb and firewall would be an issue. As far as cutting a hole in the firewall to flush mount the backplate, I have successfully done this with a Ryobi. As long as you have ample airflow inside the fuselage, and the ability to choke the carb for starting, it works fine. Good luck on your project.