Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > ARF or RTF
Reload this Page >

Experimental Aircraft Models

Community
Search
Notices
ARF or RTF Discuss ARF (Almost Ready to Fly) radio control airplanes here.

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2004, 10:40 PM
Meesh
My Feedback: (135)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Experimental Aircraft Models

Any one flying any of their planes. I ordered a Glastar at the WRAM show today.

[link=http://www.rchomebuilts.com/Glastar.htm]Glastar[/link]
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Xv64832.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	31.0 KB
ID:	103255  
Old 02-20-2004, 11:03 PM
ifixairplanes
My Feedback: (9)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Experimental Aircraft Models

i was just looking at thier website yesterday, their planes look really cool.
Old 02-20-2004, 11:41 PM
nitro wing
My Feedback: (1)

I dont need one,but I would like one anyways...looks like something different to fly
Old 02-29-2004, 01:05 AM
BiplaneCrasher

Yeah, Mr Lee got me for a Challenger 2 at the WRAM Show. I can't wait! They are very good quality for the price enven better than Hanger9 or Dave Patric. The only plane I did not pick up at the show that was also a desire was the Double Vision. I was also hoping to see more helicopter stuff there but to no avail.

We have to give these manufactures credit! They are kicking ass over there in China getting these machines built for us. So if you open the box of your Glasair and it smells like egg foo yung, you'll know why. At least EA makes certain the planes is built right. It would be nicer if they had union fellas here builing them, but we know they would cost about $1000.00 on the street.

What engine should I use for the C2?

I was thinking of a 4-stroke .40-.50 size engine.

Thanks Mr. Lee!
Old 03-11-2004, 10:09 PM
Clevelee

Hey, my father was Mr. Lee. You can call me Cleve!

We recommend nothing larger than a .40 2 stroke on the Challenger. (Remember it's an ultralight.) The engine is mounted up high - just like the real one, and when you add power it wants to nose over. Recommended take off style for the model is to run the throttle up to about 2/3 - 3/4 and let the model get airborne. (That way you don't extend the take-off run by forcing the nose into the grass) After the model is in the air you can give it full power and pull back on the stick. (Pulling back on the stick doesn't do much prior to flight speeds since the elevator is below the prop wash.)

You also want to keep it light back where the engine sits. The full scale aircraft is designed to balance with the pilot in the front seat, so counter balancing weight is required in the nose (we have a place designed for it inside the nose cone). This is not 'dead weight', but more along the lines of 'design required weight'. Too big an engine forces the need for a larger lead pilot.

Don't blame us for the unusual flight characteristics - we just make 'em as they were designed! (We even managed to replicate the 'deep stalls' that the full scale Velocity had - and have now improved it's flight characteristics - just the way the full scale factory did.) Seriously, the Challenger is a lot of fun to fly, and then even more so because the wings are 'clippable'. The full scale factory offers the aircraft in both a long wing and clipped wing version. The model comes with the long wing, but has two ribs next to each other identifying where the modeler can cut the ends of the wings off and move the fiberglass wing tips in to the new location. Roll response is significantly improved, as is wind penetration. But then you don't have the ultralight 'cruise all day at 1/3'rd throttle' feel.

Cleve Lee
Managing Director
Old 03-11-2004, 10:13 PM
iatemydingo
My Feedback: (1)

I've flown the full scale GlaStar and if the model flies like the full scale you'll be a happy pilot
Old 03-11-2004, 10:35 PM
Clevelee

The Glastar model DOES fly like the full scale aircraft. Great lift and penetration from the high aspect ratio wing. Stable and excellent stall manners. Perfect manners with flaps.

The aircraft is slightly pitch sensitive due to the somewhat short coupling (hence the very large tail volume on the design.)

Recommend set-up for the Glastar is to use exponential or dual rates to allow mild manners at cruise and more control as you come into the flair. Those without computer radios can set the control throws towards the aerobatic end of 'middle' and still get great flights while learning to be gentle with the stick. (The pictures of the model are after our original test flights and none of those flights used exponential or dual rates.)

Cleve Lee
Managing Director
Old 03-12-2004, 02:50 PM
jdavis

Velocity XL!!! Now THAT'S a cool looking bird...
However, it does bring up memories of my $800 that I lost to that goof-ball, worm Fusco. (Please! I don't mean that as a slam against EAM (better be careful... there is a EAM.net (electric aero modeling) here in the States), I dont know anything about them...)

So, has anyone (pre)ordered one yet? If so, can you please post here when you get it and what ya think? (i think, right now, if I had the bucks, i'd get one!)

Thanks

-Jim
Old 03-12-2004, 03:02 PM
hattend
My Feedback: (20)

Jim,

I have a Velocity pre-ordered. Expecting it in June...I'll let them get the bugs worked out.

I also own an EAM RV-6. Cleve and EAM are definitely NOT Fusco (I was taken in that venture along with you - luckily my CC gave me a refund)

I will gladly post when it arrives.

Don
Old 03-13-2004, 03:55 PM
jdavis

This is a cut 'n paste from an e-mail I got from eam:

"Speaking to your legitimate concerns caused by the 'Fusco Fiasco', it is the
only model that we have stopped taking deposits on- not because we're not
going to deliver, but because of our sensitivity to folks like yourself who
got burned."

I find this highly professional and very helpful in trying to heal wounds done to this hobby by the Evil One (aka Fusco). As soon as I get some extra cash, I, too will be placing an order. Thanks Cleve!

-Jim
Old 06-07-2004, 11:13 AM
DOH_Blk_Adder

I'm wondering about which model I should order(low wings) if I was still in Oakland county it wouldent be an issue but here in Utah, the thinner air at 5000 feet we loose 25% in engine performance. Then we enter that vicious circle bigger engine more weight yadda yadda yadda...but they are sharp Assembly was a question I had too but saw no Manuel's at EAM's web site. (go blue)
Old 08-17-2004, 04:20 PM
kerrydel
My Feedback: (2)

Anybody have more info on these planes yet? I really like the look of the Glasair and Europa. I am wondering about how these planes fly, as well has how they go together.

Kerry
Old 08-17-2004, 04:45 PM
hattend

See the latest RCM. There is an RV-6 review.

Don
Old 08-18-2004, 02:46 PM
kerrydel

I'll have to take a look, but I can bet that they say it's great. I was looking for a little more "real world" experience.

Kerry
Old 08-18-2004, 02:53 PM
hattend

Actually they found some defects during the review and notified EAM and EAM responded with a retrofit kit and some changes.

I have the RV-6 (same as was reviewed) sitting in my garage in California...I may get to it one of these days. the Velocity will be delivered in November (at least according to the last email I got from Cleve Lee, owner).

Don
Old 08-18-2004, 04:49 PM
ptgarcia
My Feedback: (36)

Without overrunning this thread, can someone fill me in on whatever happened to Val (or Vala or whatever his name is) Fusco? Whatever came of the whole situation?
Old 08-18-2004, 05:29 PM
hattend

EAM/Cleve Lee delivers their products so why bring up Fusco?

By doing a search for "Fusco" on RCU you can read about the entire scam on many different threads.

Don Hatten
Lost $2500 to Fusco (but had a good credit card company and got it back plus interest)
Old 08-18-2004, 06:02 PM
ptgarcia
My Feedback: (36)

Someone else brought it up, I was wondering whatever came of the guy and the situation...
Old 08-18-2004, 06:24 PM
hattend

We all got screwed and Val'a disappeared. That's the short story.

Don
Old 08-19-2004, 07:52 AM
MormonMike

Hattend, I can assure the ESM planes are the best "scalers" around. Top quality too. Cleve is easy to work with and you wont have any of that "Hangar-9 syndrome" to worry about when you put it together. Here in Utah,4500 feet does have an effect on flight. ST .75 keeps the RV-6a flying at scale, not too spectacular, but, for easy and relaxing flying, you can't beat 'em. Now if I can only convince ESM to pursue making a Harmon Rocket CAUSE IM AT MY WITS END TRYING TO MAKE ONE ACCURATELY FROM SCRATCH,........... Oops, I better watch my manners. Sorry Cleve, I apologise for the outburst. [ Remember, the firewall needs to be strong enough to handle a ST .91, possibly consider a metal joiner for the wing too. Oops again! It better get off the site before I irritate someone. MM
Old 08-19-2004, 11:03 AM
hattend

MormonMike,

I have no complaints...I was merely responding to ptgarcia. I got to look at the RV-6 when I was home on a visit (I work in Alaska and the RV-6 is in California) and it is very nicely done. I read the review in RCM and it sounds like a very nice scale flying aircraft...which is to be expected as it has all the scale moments and airfoils.

I also am anxiously awaiting the Velocity. There is no hurry as I don't want to be the test pilot. I'll let EAM get all the bugs worked out of it so all I have to do is assemble, paint and go fly. Cleve has kept me updated as the test flying and manufacturing in China progresses...he's good people.

If you get that Harmon Rocket done and make up some plans, you might be able to sell an extra set if you want to...heheheh

Don
Old 03-17-2005, 01:36 PM
hattend

My Experimental Aircraft Models (EAM) Velocity arrived at my house in California is excellent shape. My wife confirmed the delivery. I won't get down to take pics until May but just thought I would let all you guys know that there is an actual Velocity model available now.

Thanks Cleve!

http://www.rchomebuilts.com/Velocityxl.htm

Don Hatten
Old 03-17-2005, 06:07 PM
camss69
My Feedback: (46)

Received 66 Likes on 52 Posts

ORIGINAL: Clevelee

Hey, my father was Mr. Lee. You can call me Cleve

Seen "Finding Nemo" a few too many times? My daughter has made me watch it at least 3000 so far, if only DVD's could wear out..
Old 03-18-2005, 09:34 AM
MinnFlyer
My Feedback: (4)

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I am currently building one of their Zodiac's. I don't like to say too much before a review comes out, but I WILL sau=y that so far it's a very impressive build.
Old 03-18-2005, 12:40 PM
hattend

Cleve,

What's the status on the "long" wing for the Europa? I'm waiting on my purchase until the motorglider version is available.

Don

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.