66.67%
Voters: 39. You may not vote on this poll

Engine poll

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2004, 12:57 PM
RebarDWG

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Engine poll

I am running a Raptor 50 heli with a TT50 Pro engine.

Ok, the guy at the hobby shop tells me that the TT50 engine is no good and I should consider getting the OS50. I quote, "when you break in a TT50 engine, it's time to throw it out." I'm sure he was exaggerating when he said that.

Another VERY respectable source has told me NOT to throw out my TT50 Pro b/c it is BETTER than the OS50 engine. This is hard to believe but considering the person that told me this, I will believe him.

I want your Professional and experience opinions.

Thanks.
Old 06-26-2004, 04:00 PM
basmntdweller
My Feedback: (9)

Default RE: Engine poll

I have always stuck with OS's. I friend who is a TT sponsored pilot has no trouble with his TT50's and they are not hand picked or reworked. They run every bit as good as my OS 50. I wouldn't hesitate to get either one.
Later,,,Matt
Old 06-26-2004, 11:32 PM
emosolo

Mornin,

I have asked the same question as I plan to do the 50 Upgrade. When I do the upgrade I thought about putting in the TT50 Motor, but over time have changed my mind because I have had the TTgp-07 Engine and then also an OSMAX 15 and now in my Heli I have the TT39 Motor.

I can say the following, the OS engines seem to be of higher quality and are more refined. I think I wont be getting anything bigger than the 50, so I plan to purchase the OS50 Motor simply because the quality reassures me that the engine will last for a very long time and if maintained correctly, prob for ever.... I on the other hand don't think the TT motor will last as long.

This is what I have heard:

1. After run in, the TT Motor is a Tad more powerful than the OS Motor
2. The OS Motor uses more fuel than the TT Motor so you dont get as long flight times
3. The OS Motor is easier to tune than the TT Motor, which of course is always a plus when flying Heli's
4. The quality of the OS Motor is outstanding

I was browsing the Web and came across a WEBRA 52 Heli Engine. Its was the same price as the TT Motor. Does anyone have any comments on the WEBRA engine range?

Regards
Solo
Old 06-28-2004, 04:14 AM
GRANT ED

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: emosolo

2. The OS Motor uses more fuel than the TT Motor so you dont get as long flight times
3. The OS Motor is easier to tune than the TT Motor, which of course is always a plus when flying Heli's

Hmm Most things I have read say the OS is more powerful, but the difference is not a lot.
P.S. I have an OS in my Rappy and am rather happy with it.
Old 06-30-2004, 10:00 PM
heligoode1
My Feedback: (4)

For those that like to tinker.

If you have a os 61wc 3 needle carb lying around, or know a friend that might have one, install on the OS 50.

For best results, run your 50 one day and make note of how it performs. That night replace the carb with the 61 carb. You will need to trim the raptor 50 side frames a little for top needle clearance.

From my own personal experience, the power INCREASE was night and day. I now run a 61 carb on my 50. Also the 61 carb is three needle versus the two needle 50 carb, = midrange adjustment.

www.thatshowteam.org

Alex Goode
Old 07-01-2004, 05:29 PM
emosolo

Mornin....

I am afraid, my opinion with RC is as it is with Motor Vehicles. If the Motor Vehicle was supposed to be a Twin Turbo, NOS vehicle they would have designed it like that. Same with RC Engines..... If it was meant to have the 61 Carb on it... it would have... Items that are designed by Manufactures have been done so to try and get a good combination of Power, Reliability and Value for money. I woudnt modify my engine.....

Just my 2 cents...

Regards
Solo.
Old 07-03-2004, 01:00 AM
heligoode1
My Feedback: (4)

If it wasn't for tinkerers, there would be no advance in technology. They didn't design a combustion engine to be able to handle nitromethane, but someone tinkered with the idea and now we have dragsters. A fellow pilot and I have been flying this setup for 9 months on 30% nitro with NO problems. The carburetor is a direct replacement. No modification is necessary to the engine other than mixture change and as I said before, the switch will provide you with a midrange adjustment, important, (however not critical), for hovering in midrange.
Old 07-03-2004, 08:45 AM
440GTX

ORIGINAL: emosolo

I was browsing the Web and came across a WEBRA 52 Heli Engine. Its was the same price as the TT Motor. Does anyone have any comments on the WEBRA engine range?

Regards
Solo
Well here are my thoughts
1. The OS is a tad more powerfull than the TT
2. The OS uses more fuel that why it more powerfull . About 20 % more
3. My TT 50 runs great and very eaisy to tune
4. Yes OS quality is outsanding
I would not hesitate on buying another TT 50

I friend has a Webra 52 Heli engine in his R 50. I pain in the but to break in and a pain in the butt to tune. BUT once you have all that resolved the Webra hauls.

Fred..