Community
Search
Notices
Golden Age, Vintage & Antique RC Want to discuss some of those from the golden age, vintage rc planes or even an old classic antique vintage rc planes, radios, engines, etc? This is the place for you. Enjoy!

Sig Relic or Beaver

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2005, 08:53 PM
chandler_ace

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sig Relic or Beaver

Does anyone have any info on the old Sig kit "Relic" or the foam winged Beaver they put out many years ago? I know the Relic had a plastic round cowling but that is all I know. The Beaver had the molded foam wing like the Scamp, Klipper, or the Colt. Any info would be appreciated.
Thanks,
Rob
Old 04-27-2005, 02:28 PM
dls
My Feedback: (113)

Default RE: Sig Relic or Beaver

The Relic & Beaver used a constant cord foam wing not tapered like the later wing used on the Scamp. This wing was also fitted with ailerons & used on the Zlin, Stits Rudderbug & Fleet Biplane. Wouldn`t mind having another Fleet Biplane kit, lots of fun with that one, dls
Old 04-27-2005, 03:06 PM
chandler_ace

I happen to have the Fleet kit and if the zlin is the same as the Aero Sportster, I have that one two. I don't plan on selling but if you need a copy of the plans I would copy them for you. I haven't built either yet but I will. Didn't realize the Relic had a foam wing also. I would really like to find a set of plans for the Relic and the Beaver.
Rob
Old 04-28-2005, 12:04 PM
dls
My Feedback: (113)

Rob, you`ve jogged my old memories, the Aero Sportster`s the plane I was thinking of not the Zlin. I`d get a Fleet again if I found one at a swap meet, it would be fun to fly with a new small radio system, dls
Old 04-28-2005, 05:03 PM
Gollywock

The Beaver (designed by Jack Bales) had a wing span of 45". Plans call for .049 to .15 engines. RC equipment was single channel to 'full house'. Beaver also had a round plastic cowl. Slab sides were pre cut and top and bottom covered with 3/32 balsa. The kit I have is circa 1968-69. Jim
Old 04-28-2005, 05:15 PM
chandler_ace

DLS- Let me know if you want a copy of the plans. I don't know if the newer foam wings would work but scratching the wings out of balsa wouldn't be too bad.

Gollywock-Would you be willing to copy those Beaver plans for me? I'll pay copy and shipping and hassle.

Thanks,
Rob
Old 04-29-2005, 10:52 AM
Gollywock

Rob- If you would email your address to me, I'll give you the plans, as there's not much left of the kit, and I don't really have any desire to build it (I fly mostly Free Flight). Thet're a bit tattered and worn, but certainly usable- Jim
Old 09-11-2005, 10:12 AM
fritzke
My Feedback: (1)

Relic:
They also made the R/C Sport (later the Super Sport)
Stinson L5, Fleet Bipe, Stitts Flutterbug, DH Beaver all constant cord.
And later the Colt, Scamp, Klipper and the SS used taper wings.
The taper wings were available from Sig not to long ago,
but who knows now.
Dave
PS Still available, #SIGRPFC500, $15.00
www.sigmfg.com
Ready-to-use high density white foam wing. 45"
Wingspan Same wing supplied with the SIG
Super Sport, Klipper, Colt and Scamp kits."
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Fd90782.jpg
Views:	189
Size:	104.6 KB
ID:	322660  
Old 09-12-2005, 02:29 PM
chandler_ace

Dave to the rescue!! I have been looking for those plans for a long time and they are tough to find!!! Thanks for psoting them.
Rob
Old 09-14-2005, 06:33 PM
radioflier

The RELIC is one cute little plane - build it light and it would be ideal for electric power or a small 4-stroke. I'm not a fan of foam wings, but it looks like a scratch-built wing could be easily done using the outline on the plans for the rib template. The design has a lot of the FARMAN MOUSTIQUE in it. Can anyone tell me how long it is, say, from the front of the spinner to the back edge of the tail?

ron
Old 09-15-2005, 04:41 PM
radioflier

I was unable to find the plans for sale on the SIG web site, so I copied the above attachment in Turbocad. Using the 2.5 inch wheel as a reference, I scaled the plan up to full size (45" span). I then increased the size by 20% to give me a 54" span plane to better fit the Saito .40 I have planned for it. My only question at this point - what about that airfoil? It looks to be nearly fully symetrical. Is that the true shape of the moulded foam wing? I noticed a little bit of positive incidence in the wing as well. Any comments?

ron

Old 09-21-2005, 05:33 PM
chandler_ace

Ron,
I have a few of the older foam wings and they are like the drawings on the plans. They are fully symmetrical but I am not sure about the incidence. Let us know how yours turns out. I will probably build a balsa wing and use blow up the plans from Dave.
Rob
Old 02-01-2006, 10:23 AM
fritzke

Here is a SIG ad from August '72 that shows all the straight wing planes they had:
Dave

Name:	Rp42133.jpg
Views:	188
Size:	76.7 KB
ID:	399772  
Old 02-01-2006, 07:49 PM
build light

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

AHA!!! Thanks Dave! This is what I have been looking for in a nother thread I started here about the Sig foam wing. I knew that since it was available (but not the kits) I wanted to know what all the kits looked like because I might try building one ( or more ).
I see that there was a fairly large variety for this wing in style and I bet performance as well. I had suspected that all along. It is my understanding that most of these kits because there was no wing to build and all the fuse parts were die cut only an instruction book with pics showing the building assembly was included... No plans were needed. So Sig has no plans for these planes(toobad).

I have always like this style of plane ( I did not say preferred) because there was a quick buildup and into the air. I only had one of these type planes but would do it again.

What would be cool is to have a contest ( while there is not another running) that would feature this wing and we could design our own planes using this plane as a common focus. Then there would be plans!! Limit the engine size to .10 or .15 tops and all else is fair game. Pusher, tractor, bipe, tripe, low wing high wing whatever!

By the way, since there were so many different designs offered by Sig could these planes be construction articles in magazines like many of the Ace winged planes or were they all concieved by the same guy at Sig?

Robert
Old 02-01-2006, 10:52 PM
sparky flier

I have the Fleet Bipe, Aero Sportster, and Stits Flutterbug. I had built the Aero Sportster long ago, and flew it with an old Veco .19 engine. It was one my best flying planes. I am now into electric and plan to convert these kits soon. I think rather than built the kit, I'll use the wood parts to make copies of the formers and other parts. I may just cut my own foam wings for them as well. It would be great to see some of these old kits make a come back, perhaps with laser cutting of the wood parts.

Sparky
Old 02-01-2006, 11:02 PM
fritzke

Robert,

Well, see post #8, I think they all have plans at least that good, which is plenty good enough I think.

I have all except the Zlin, which chandlerace has. Hey, how about sending me a copy of
that one Rob? I have the old AMA Kit Plan book that has all of these in it, (except the Zlin).
The only full-size actual kit plan I have is for the Beaver. The ones in the book are only
5x7, so when you blow them up, the lines, they get a little fat. The Relic scan is from the book.

The newer versions (Colt, Clipper, Scamp, SuperSport) DID have a book and parts printed on the wood,
no plans.

If anyone wants a dxf file for the wing, give me a shout. Screen shot of it below.

Dave

Name:	Us54789.jpg
Views:	131
Size:	23.6 KB
ID:	400224  
Old 02-01-2006, 11:19 PM
build light

Sparky, thats not a bad idea and from what I understand ( which ain't always right, is it Dave?) the Sig wing is injection molded and actually pretty heavy. If you were to cut one from EPS you would be doing yourself a great favor. Much lighter. In fact if you do give us all a holler and post the weight difference. I bet it would shock some. Of course it would depend on the stock weight of the foam.

Dave! A great big ooops on my part and I actually read the entire thread before I posted. I hope this doesn't mean my short term memory is starting to fail. I would rather like to think that the pic you supplied just got me all cranked up!!!

Robert
Old 02-01-2006, 11:30 PM
fritzke

Robert,
No, those wings are not too light. I have never seen the old ones,
just the newer tapered ones. They were deisgned to be used "as is" I guess.
I wonder how many snapped on terminal dive pull-outs?
I created a .cor file for the airfoil as well, so if anyone wants that for use in Compufoil,
no problem.
Dave
Attached Files
File Type: txt
Us53226.txt (862 Bytes, 57 views)
Old 02-02-2006, 07:32 AM
Mike Denest

Dave,
I see you've been keeping Gene busy!

ORIGINAL: fritzke

Robert,

Well, see post #8, I think they all have plans at least that good, which is plenty good enough I think.

I have all except the Zlin, which chandlerace has. Hey, how about sending me a copy of
that one Rob? I have the old AMA Kit Plan book that has all of these in it, (except the Zlin).
The only full-size actual kit plan I have is for the Beaver. The ones in the book are only
5x7, so when you blow them up, the lines, they get a little fat. The Relic scan is from the book.

The newer versions (Colt, Clipper, Scamp, SuperSport) DID have a book and parts printed on the wood,
no plans.

If anyone wants a dxf file for the wing, give me a shout. Screen shot of it below.

Dave
Old 02-02-2006, 10:10 AM
fritzke

Mike,
Trust me, if Gene had done it it would have been a lot better!
These are my humble efforts. I pulled a scan from the plan into
Autocad, traced the airfoil, scaled the chord to "1" unit, moved the L.E.
to the origin, snapped points to the airfoil lines, then erased everything
except the points out of the drawing, exported as .dxf, and snagged
the x,y coordrinates from the dxf file to make the "COR" text file to use
in Compufoil. There is no doubt an easier way to do it, but I have
done it this way so may times it's a no-brainer now. (I have done this for the
ZAGI and the old Marks Models "Bushwacker" airfoils too.)
Even with Compufoils extensive airfoil library, there was nothing quite
like this Sig airfoil, even using the NACA airfoil generator module.
I suspect most model planes are drawn with a classic "french curve"
freehand airfoil, then they call it a "Clark Y"
Dave
Old 02-02-2006, 11:27 AM
old git

PS Still available, #SIGRPFC500, $15.00
www.sigmfg.com

I bought a Unionville Hobby deHaviland Otter 1/4 scale kit on *b*y and looked to see what more I could find about the kit, it hasn't arrived here yet!

Below is the site I came across and it seems to have many build it yourself model kits. They are in Canada which is the same as USA from this side of the pond. "With appologies to both Canadians and Americans"

http://www.greathobbies.com/search/r...gpm&srchcat=AK

I hope this information is of some use to traditional "but non scratch" modellers.

old git.
Old 02-02-2006, 12:18 PM
Mike Denest

In Bill Northrop's construction article on the Apprentice, he used an SSS302 airfoil (Somewhat Semi Symmetrical, 302 is the area code for Delaware). A french curve airfoil if there ever was one.

<SNIP>
I suspect most model planes are drawn with a classic "french curve"
freehand airfoil, then they call it a "Clark Y"
Dave
Old 02-02-2006, 01:10 PM
fritzke

Here are 2 more, the Stitts and the Stinson:

Name:	Ol31675.jpg
Views:	100
Size:	111.8 KB
ID:	400536   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ql33647.jpg
Views:	108
Size:	100.1 KB
ID:	400537   Click image for larger version

Name:	Mk24812.jpg
Views:	72
Size:	118.1 KB
ID:	400538   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ki19682.jpg
Views:	87
Size:	113.6 KB
ID:	400539   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ay75454.jpg
Views:	103
Size:	109.4 KB
ID:	400540   Click image for larger version

Name:	Db85085.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	131.2 KB
ID:	400541  
Old 02-03-2006, 07:46 PM
chandler_ace

Here are the other foamies that Sig sold up until a few? years ago. Only the Scamp had a separate plan sheet but they all had insruction booklets which conatined part patterns and partial views of the plans. There is probably enough to build from with a little work. I think it would be great to design planes around this wing, a cub, cessna 195, 180,170, bonanza, mooney, or a stearman!! I have never designed anything so mine might look like a VW bug with a foam wing!
Rob

Name:	Ig11332.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	115.2 KB
ID:	401361   Click image for larger version

Name:	Id95109.jpg
Views:	151
Size:	105.0 KB
ID:	401362  
Old 02-03-2006, 09:11 PM
Jeff Foley
My Feedback: (45)

This is the second thread in a month or so regarding the Sig foam wing series. I was a product engineer at Sig from 76-78 and designed the Colt while I worked there. The Klipper, Scamp and Super Sport were already in production, and Glenn wanted another model that used the same wing so that he could justify the expense for the mold!! It was big bucks back then. Originally, he purchased wings from Carl Goldberg.....yes, it was the same wing that was used on the Ranger 42. Don't know why they didn't call it the Ranger 45. When Goldberg discontinued the model, Glenn was forced to buy a mold and make his own wings. I wanted to call the Colt "Kolt" in keeping with the "K" motiff, but head designer Claude McCullough wouldn't let me! It was his personal trademark since he did the Kadet, Kougar, Kommander, Kavalier and Klipper.

Did any of the molded foam wings ever fold??.....I am sure some did along the way. I tried to get one to fold, but never could. Even with terminal velocity dives and no packing tape on the wings. I sure would have loved to have the radio equipment and light wheels, etc. that we have now...back then. It would make a much nicer flying model. The prototype you see in the ad was already heavy because of the nice paint job, plus it had three Kraft KPS-15's, a huge receiver and battery, plus Du-bro wheels. Yet, it still flew pretty good. You could build one with todays equipment and hardware at least 1/2 to 3/4 lbs. lighter.

I still have kit serial # 1 in the attic, plus another I picked up at a swap meet. Just might have to build one and see how light I can make it!

Jeff Foley
Product Engineer (1976-1978)
Sig Mfg. Co. Inc.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.