Community
Search
Notices
Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic Discuss all your 3D & Aerobatic giant scale airplanes right here!

BME YAK 54 87"

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2006, 12:11 AM
xtraflyr
My Feedback: (11)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: BME YAK 54 87"

Hey are the first gens. coming out tailheavy, where they tell you how far to put out the prophub to the first former, 10-11"?
I had to put mine out to 11.5" because of the header and can.. I don't think it should be a problem..

Thanks,
Frank
Old 02-19-2006, 12:40 AM
Ken-h
My Feedback: (3)

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

Frank,

You should be fine, thats where mine is mounted as well. The old manual stated 10 1/2" from the first former but there is plenty of wiggle room on this plane. You may have to mount your batteries a little further back is all. Is the can heavier or lighter then the slimline pitts?

Ken
Old 02-19-2006, 09:16 AM
I & C Tech

Anyone ever explore getting a tank under the wing tube? Probably not one that thin available and I guess it would suck air easier, but until we've asked the question we don't know the answer. I see 1.5" height clearance and 5" width. Dubro laughed at me on there website with only a 4oz tank clearing 1.5". Wasting my time?
Old 02-19-2006, 09:39 AM
Bob Pastorello
My Feedback: (198)

Nope.... SUllivan makes "boat tanks" and they are in sizes that would work fine. I used one in my Aeroworks Edge a few years back for exactly that purpose; get it under the tube. Worked fine. Browse Tower, SUllivan Tanks...
Old 02-19-2006, 09:47 AM
xtraflyr

ORIGINAL: Ken-h

Frank,

You should be fine, thats where mine is mounted as well. The old manual stated 10 1/2" from the first former but there is plenty of wiggle room on this plane. You may have to mount your batteries a little further back is all. Is the can heavier or lighter then the slimline pitts?

Ken
Hey Ken,

The header/can and slimline Pitts is the same weight. Thanks for making me feel better about moving the motor out further...

I&C Tech
I now it doesnt help the non can tunnel guys,but I know the guys on the TOC Yak sight are putting their tanks in the tunnel..
What kind of time you guys getting on the stock tank with the Da Fitty??

Frank..
Old 02-19-2006, 09:51 AM
I & C Tech

Thanks Bob,

Unfortunately, the boat tank is 1-3/4" where 1-1/2" is needed. I looked at there other offerings and didn't see any solutions. The boat tank shape was about right though. Surely someone else makes one that would fit our needs. I'll keep looking after breakfast.
Old 02-19-2006, 10:10 AM
xtraflyr

Hey guys,Here are some pics of the Canopy and the Motor/Header/Can that I got done lastnight..

I don't have the clamps on the coupler yet,because I'm goin to take the whole thing back off and paint the firewall and prob. in the pipe tunnel..
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Wu61932.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	61.7 KB
ID:	411060   Click image for larger version

Name:	Hd94704.jpg
Size:	57.7 KB
ID:	411061   Click image for larger version

Name:	Wb75295.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	63.2 KB
ID:	411062   Click image for larger version

Name:	Wq42245.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	73.9 KB
ID:	411063  
Old 02-19-2006, 10:39 AM
fancman
My Feedback: (16)

Great looking setup. I have the K&S 86 cannister and it looks like I'll have to move my engine out also. What cannister are you using?
Old 02-19-2006, 10:57 AM
xtraflyr

ORIGINAL: fancman

I've got the same setup and you show here and I am wondering what cannister are you using. I haven't fit my stuff up yet but it looks like I'll have to cut the header down quite a bit. I'm using the 3# standoff's. Is your spinner backplate the 11 inches called for in the plans.

Thanks

Merv
Hey there, I'm using the KS cannister and header. I got them from Troy Built Models. I had to cut like 3" or so from the header and I also made a cut towards the back of the exit hole for the turndown pipe to set into. I cut it back just about to the former. If that makes any sense.. To the backplate I have 11 3/4" I added 3, 3/4"plywood pieces under each 2 1/2"standoff. I guess I could have went out further with another spacer but I didnt want to have to add to much tailweight.

Frank

Old 02-19-2006, 11:08 AM
fancman
My Feedback: (16)

Thanks for the info Frank. I wonder if anyone knows if cutting the header short will have any affect on the engine performance. I am thinking that the volume of the cannister vs the Pitts type muffler will be much greater and the length of the cannister and header should work at least as good as any pitts type muffler and probably better. I've read that there is a tuning lenghth that is best for cannisters but we don't have much option of moving the cannister around in this setup. I think it's going to be very quiet though.
ORIGINAL: xtraflyr

I've got the same setup and you show here and I am wondering what cannister are you using. I haven't fit my stuff up yet but it looks like I'll have to cut the header down quite a bit. I'm using the 3# standoff's. Is your spinner backplate the 11 inches called for in the plans.

Thanks

Merv
Hey there, I'm using the KS cannister and header. I got them from Troy Built Models. I had to cut like 3" or so from the header and I also made a cut towards the back of the exit hole for the turndown pipe to set into. I cut it back just about to the former. If that makes any sense.. To the backplate I have 11 3/4" I added 3, 3/4"plywood pieces under each 2 1/2"standoff. I guess I could have went out further with another spacer but I didnt want to have to add to much tailweight.

Frank

Old 02-19-2006, 11:39 AM
I & C Tech

Fuel tanks: Dubro, Great Planes, Hayes, Sullivan, B&B (Bennet Built), Hangar 9. Who have I missed?
Old 02-19-2006, 12:47 PM
xtraflyr

Thanks for the info Frank. I wonder if anyone knows if cutting the header short will have any affect on the engine performance. I am thinking that the volume of the cannister vs the Pitts type muffler will be much greater and the length of the cannister and header should work at least as good as any pitts type muffler and probably better. I've read that there is a tuning lenghth that is best for cannisters but we don't have much option of moving the cannister around in this setup. I think it's going to be very quiet though.

Thanks

Merv

Frank

No problem. I may be wrong but does'nt the tuning length only matter on a Tuned pipe and not the Cannister? Anyone chime in if you know,please...

I agree with you that the volume on the cann is much greater then any pitts style muffler..

later,
frank
Old 02-19-2006, 09:46 PM
xtraflyr

Thanks

Merv

Frank

No problem. I may be wrong but does'nt the tuning length only matter on a Tuned pipe and not the Cannister? Anyone chime in if you know,please...

I agree with you that the volume on the cann is much greater then any pitts style muffler..

later,
frank
Here are some pics of the header and canister. Hope this helps

Name:	Xv63809.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	69.2 KB
ID:	411590   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ez81901.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	50.6 KB
ID:	411591   Click image for larger version

Name:	Uz69718.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	60.6 KB
ID:	411592   Click image for larger version

Name:	Fy72415.jpg
Size:	57.3 KB
ID:	411593  
Old 02-19-2006, 09:49 PM
xtraflyr

Today I got the cowl mounted,well kinda..

Name:	Fd92179.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	52.8 KB
ID:	411597  
Old 02-19-2006, 09:56 PM
xtraflyr

Ok for real this time. This and the canopy have always been not my favorite thing to do.[:'(] But it's done and I feel good that I got through it..
And here is what it will look like with the Tripp (propwashed) graffix kit we made up for it.

Frank

Name:	Nl28340.jpg
Size:	66.3 KB
ID:	411601   Click image for larger version

Name:	So42705.jpg
Size:	49.4 KB
ID:	411602   Click image for larger version

Name:	Pu50235.gif
Views:	15
Size:	40.2 KB
ID:	411603  
Old 02-19-2006, 11:23 PM
I & C Tech

That's gonna be xtraschweet!
Old 02-19-2006, 11:38 PM
xtraflyr

Hey thanks! Makes me feel better when other like my stuff

Bed time now though!!

later,
Frank
Old 02-21-2006, 07:31 PM
Ken-h

Well, I got to maiden mine Sunday. I think I figured out what the Yak craze is all about. I’d have to admit that I am not the biggest Yak fan out there but after flying mine I am singing a different tune.

On the second flight I was already trying to tail touch the airplane. Everything was easy! Rolling harriers were incredible and were effortless. A little wing rock with the first harrier but after the second one I was in the zone and could easily keep up with it and the wing rock was gone. I could not believe how soft and light the airplane felt in the air. I could really relax and enjoy the plane.

How does it compare to the Edge? The Yak is smoother and the Edge is right now! The Yak loves flying on its side and the Edge is a little more work. The Yak seems to pull just a tad to the canopy but what’s amazing is that the coupling feels about the same even at 45 degrees. Blenders and Tip spins? With the Edge you can just throw the sticks for the desired maneuver and it will comply. With the Yak, you have to find the sweet spot but does them nicely as well. Walls were just like my Edge, clean and straight with no tendency to drop a wing.

All in all, I am really impressed with this airplane. Took it out again yesterday for some pictures in freezing temps and a strong breeze, which really tested my hypothermia endurance. Thanks JohnVH for taking the pics.

Ken

Name:	Us54602.jpg
Size:	93.3 KB
ID:	412971   Click image for larger version

Name:	Av68967.jpg
Size:	95.7 KB
ID:	412972   Click image for larger version

Name:	Lq36495.jpg
Size:	65.4 KB
ID:	412973   Click image for larger version

Name:	Dx67367.jpg
Size:	48.1 KB
ID:	412974   Click image for larger version

Name:	Hs96385.jpg
Size:	81.8 KB
ID:	412975  
Old 02-21-2006, 07:38 PM
xtraflyr

ORIGINAL: Ken-h

Well, I got to maiden mine Sunday. I think I figured out what the Yak craze is all about. I’d have to admit that I am not the biggest Yak fan out there but after flying mine I am singing a different tune.

On the second flight I was already trying to tail touch the airplane. Everything was easy! Rolling harriers were incredible and were effortless. A little wing rock with the first harrier but after the second one I was in the zone and could easily keep up with it and the wing rock was gone. I could not believe how soft and light the airplane felt in the air. I could really relax and enjoy the plane.

How does it compare to the Edge? The Yak is smoother and the Edge is right now! The Yak loves flying on its side and the Edge is a little more work. The Yak seems to pull just a tad to the canopy but what’s amazing is that the coupling feels about the same even at 45 degrees. Blenders and Tip spins? With the Edge you can just throw the sticks for the desired maneuver and it will comply. With the Yak, you have to find the sweet spot but does them nicely as well. Walls were just like my Edge, clean and straight with no tendency to drop a wing.

All in all, I am really impressed with this airplane. Took it out again yesterday for some pictures in freezing temps and a strong breeze, which really tested my hypothermia endurance. Thanks JohnVH for taking the pics.

Ken
Hey Ken, I'm glad to hear it flies so well!! Man it looks so real in the pics!! You gotta try to get some vids of it..

Frank
Old 02-21-2006, 09:09 PM
KJ
My Feedback: (21)

Just received my YAK today! Found some wing rib damage on the 3rd rib in on the right wing. Looks like it can be easily fixed without sending the wing back to Max. The wings are really packed tight into the smaller box! Other than that, it looks really great.
What is the best header option to use with the DA50 on a canister? Extraflyr is using the Flex header that looks great, but was wondering if the 25mm drop would work. Has anyone used the 25mm drop? How did the alignment work out?
KJ
Old 02-21-2006, 11:17 PM
xtraflyr

Hey there,
I used the zero drop.It worked out just fine. Just check out a few of my earlier posts.

Frank
Old 02-21-2006, 11:21 PM
Big Barry

Ken

Best looking YAK so far, looks way better than the Red Bull YAKs even.

Were'nt you surprised at how well mannered the YAK is? I was ready for a white knuckle ride on my maiden and it turned out to be a walk in the park. Everything was nice and predictable no surprises or should I say unpleasant surprises.

What was your weight? It looks like 17lbs. LOL
Old 02-22-2006, 12:03 AM
Ken-h

Thanks Barry,

To be honest, I have no idea how much this one weighs. 17 would be a good guess since thats what most are coming in at. It's a rocket pulling out of a hover so maybe it's a little less. I did cut some wood out during the build. I'll weight it one of these days when my friend brings his scale. I'm happy...

Ken
Old 02-23-2006, 08:16 PM
JohnVH
My Feedback: (38)

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Kens Yak is a awesome looking plane in person, the pictures above dont do it justice, I got a quick flight on it, but the weather didnt let me really feel the model.

We need to get out in some better WX and get some real pics with the tail in the weeds! I have a hankerin to get my edge out again too!!
Old 02-23-2006, 08:31 PM
JoeAirPort
My Feedback: (41)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Me too John, me too.

ORIGINAL: JohnVH

I have a hankerin to get my edge out again too!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.