Community
Search
Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

ProLine literature/information

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2005, 08:55 PM
apteryx

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ProLine literature/information

Does anyone have an old ProLine catalog ? I'm interested in some of the history, products offered, etc. since I have a couple of the units and they had an excellent reputation for quality construction, especially the sticks. Most of them are probably just sitting in dusty garage or attic now.
Old 05-30-2005, 10:03 AM
dirtybird
My Feedback: (5)

Default RE: ProLine literature/information

I don't think they had a catalog. A freind of mine used to be a dealer and I never saw a catalog. The manufacturer, Jim Fosgate used to be the design engineer for EK Logictrol. He quit and adapted Ron Chidgey's (sp?) sticks to the EK design with Kraft mechanics and sold it as the Proline. It was considered the best radio in its day because it assembled the best parts of everything. He later tried to produce a cheaper line but it was not a success. He sold his business to Ace radio. If you want a schematic get a copy of the EK schematic. It is nearly identical.
Old 05-30-2005, 02:24 PM
ChuckA

Proline was formed by some of the top pattern fliers of the late 60's. Some of them were Jim Kirkland, Jim Whitley, Ron Chidgney, and probably Doc Colman and Doc Edwards. There was at least one more whose name I have forgotten but he was an airline pilot from Atlanta. They hired Jim Fosgate away from EK and set up production in Athans, Alabama. I still remember Jim Whitley demonstrating the new Proline at a pattern contest in Athans Alabama. He would demonstrate the range by flying low at extreme range with the antenna collapsed to a single section until he crashed. Not from radio problems but because he ran out of fuel too far away over a cotton patch. I bought my first Proline because the factory was so close. Then Jim Fosgate's wife suffered from allergies in the Alabama summers so Fosgate moved production to Arizona. I still remember Jim Fosgate setting up shop at the Holiday Inn at the 72 Nats where he serviced and repaired all Proline equipment being flown at the Nats. I still have a 1969 Proline receiver built up entirely of discrete components housed in a white aluminum case. A work or art.
Old 05-30-2005, 03:23 PM
apteryx

Thanks for the information. What were the various models offered ? I know about the "Competition Series" and a "Competition 6" which was in a larger box and some smaller units ?? Which were the later cheaper versions and when did he sell to ACE ? No wonder
the ACE MP8K units picked up the better metal sticks. but they are not like the original Proline sticks.
Old 05-31-2005, 10:20 AM
dirtybird
My Feedback: (5)

ORIGINAL: ChuckA

Proline was formed by some of the top pattern fliers of the late 60's. Some of them were Jim Kirkland, Jim Whitley, Ron Chidgney, and probably Doc Colman and Doc Edwards. There was at least one more whose name I have forgotten but he was an airline pilot from Atlanta. They hired Jim Fosgate away from EK and set up production in Athans, Alabama. I still remember Jim Whitley demonstrating the new Proline at a pattern contest in Athans Alabama. He would demonstrate the range by flying low at extreme range with the antenna collapsed to a single section until he crashed. Not from radio problems but because he ran out of fuel too far away over a cotton patch. I bought my first Proline because the factory was so close. Then Jim Fosgate's wife suffered from allergies in the Alabama summers so Fosgate moved production to Arizona. I still remember Jim Fosgate setting up shop at the Holiday Inn at the 72 Nats where he serviced and repaired all Proline equipment being flown at the Nats. I still have a 1969 Proline receiver built up entirely of discrete components housed in a white aluminum case. A work or art.
They got that flying demonstration from EK. I remember Bob Elliot flying his system with only one section of the antenna extended. Not only did they steal his design they stole his demo. Elliot did them one better though. He also remove one of the batteries from the battery pack. Since the Proline still used the old four wire servos they couldn't do that.
Elliot later designed a double conversion receiver with ceramic IF's. Heathkit had previously had ceramic IF's but Elliot was the first to apply the double conversion to the RC radio. This receiver configuration is the one most used by our todays radio. Elliot was one of the true innovators of the RC field. I wish someone would copy his servo with the linear outputs. Proline was a copy cat.
Old 05-31-2005, 07:19 PM
ChuckA

Proline never used four wire servos. I stil have one of the earliest two stick Prolines and a couple of the servos. The biggest advantage of the Proline was the quality of the components. I still have two 1971 single stick transmitters. The last time I used one at the Nats was 1993. When it was checked by AMA, the digital readout on the frequency checker was 53.400. Not bad for a 22 year old transmitter. Quality of Proline declined when the company went bankrupt and was bought by a man who wanted to maximumize profit. I have a late Proline transmitter that I bought used and it didn't have the quality of components. You can tell the difference by looking at the transmitte stick pots. The Fosgate Proline has lab quality precision componts.

When I first started flying pattern contests in 1966, all the top fliers were using EK. By the time I saw the first Proline, a lot of the top fliers had already switched to Kraft. One of my fellow club members was an avid EK user until it failed and EK couldn't repair it. At that time I was just starting and couldn't afford the EK. I soon learned that it was poor economy to use cheap equipment. It is always cheaper to do it right the first time. That is when I switched to Proline and never regretted it.
Old 06-01-2005, 07:45 PM
apteryx

I know there is a difference between the DS gimbals on a "Custom Competition Series" and a "Competition Series" ....much heavier (cast/machined ?) on the Custom. Are both of those Ron Chidgey sticks ? Are there similiar differences between the SS gimbals ?? Are those Ron Chidgey sticks ? I have a Competition Series SS but no others to compare it to.
Old 06-03-2005, 07:31 PM
apteryx

What started this quest for some more information was a discussion about converting old Pro Line transmitters (because of their reputation for top of the line stick assys and parts) which soon got into a "well that fits in my Pro Line, don't know why it doesn't fit in yours", etc ".

This is what I've found so far. If anyone has more/different info and can fill in some of the blanks, I'd be interested in hearing it.

PROLINE TRANSMITTERS 1968 – 197x? (useful info if you are converting them)
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Competition Six (before 1976), all open gimbal
6Ch, DS, (2x2 axis), dimensions ??
6CH, SS, (1x3 axis) all three are AB pots, H5-3/4" x W7-3/4" x D2-3/4" inside dimensions
others ?

Custom Competition Series (dates ?), all open gimbal, all wheel trims, all Chidgey gimbals
8Ch?, DS (2x2 axis), cast gimbals, dimensions ??
8Ch?, SS (1x3 axis), cast gimbal ?, dimensions ??
others ?

Competition Series (1976), all open gimbal, all lever trims, Chidgey gimbals ?
7Ch, DS (2x2 axis), dimensions ??
7Ch, SS (1x3 axis) two are AB pots, H5-3/8" x W7-3/8" x D2-1/2" inside dimensions
5Ch, DS (2x2 axis), dimensions ??
5Ch, SS (1x3 axis) two are AB pots, H5-3/8" x W7-3/8" x D2-1/2" inside dimensions
3Ch, SS (1x2 axis) two are AB pots, H5-1/4" x W5-3/4" x D2" inside dimensions.

Challenger Series (1976) ......cheaper design
5Ch, DS (2x2 axis), semi-closed gimbal, dimensions ??
3Ch, SS (1x2 axis), closed gimbal, H5-1/4" x W5-3/4" x D2" inside dimensions.

Old 06-07-2005, 08:39 PM
apteryx

I have a picture (attached) of what I'm told is a Proline Custom Competition Series DS gimbal and you can see the cast marks on the aluminum .....and it's "massive" relative to the ProLine Competition Series DS gimbal cut from extruded? aluminum stock. Is that like the one you had ?

The other picture is of a Proline Competition Series SS gimbal and Im wondering if the Proline Custom Competition Series SS gimbal
is also some more massive cast aluminum assy ???? Does anyone have a picture of one ? In any even both the Competition and Custom Competition SS and DS gimbals are one heck of a lot more sturdy and smooth/accurate than any other old or new gimbals I've seen. Kraft did use the ProLine Competition Series gimbals in their Signature series (had one)......but apparently only ProLine Custom units had the cast assys ??

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Wt59189.jpg
Views:	83
Size:	69.1 KB
ID:	281903   Click image for larger version

Name:	Mh20140.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	19.8 KB
ID:	281904  
Old 02-10-2012, 07:22 AM
Briannixon
My Feedback: (1)

Does anyone have any information about Pro Line serial numbers? These appear to have been hand-etched with a fine tool (you've got to look hard to discern the numbers) on the I.D. plate on the bottom of the radio. Did the numbers follow sequential order? I've got a Competition Six dual-stick with a serial number of 003686.

Brian
Old 02-10-2012, 11:30 AM
sidgates
My Feedback: (2)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Proline was sold at auction and purchased by a person (company in Phoenix). I attended the auction with the intention of purchasing the remaining good test equipment but it had disappeared before the auction took place. The buyer tried to produce the Proline radios but didn't last very long.

Next the remaining parts stock ended up in CA purchased by Joe Bridi. I don't think any radios were ever produced by Bridi. Ace Radio Control then purchase the remains from Bridi.