Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Tips & Techniques
Reload this Page >

Tint a canopy??

Community
Search
Notices
Tips & Techniques Want to share a tip or special technique you have either in the workshop or at the flying field or race track? Post it right here!

Tint a canopy??

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2005, 10:20 PM
Navy18
My Feedback: (4)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tint a canopy??

What is the best way to tint your canopy without making a mess? I would like to try a darkened cockpit this time around.
Old 08-24-2005, 07:29 AM
exeter_acres
My Feedback: (2)

Default RE: Tint a canopy??

Here is what I do (I tint props too..its cool)

I found these posted in the Vectorflight Edge thread... I cannot take credit, but I cannot remember who originally posted them either

but it works perfectly for me....

Directions I found on RCU and modified slightly (time and temp) per my findings:

10 Steps to Tinting Canopy Bliss

This method works with Lexan canopies using Tintex or Ritt fabric dyes.

1. Clean your canopy with warm water and mild soap, rinse thoroughly.

Note: Avoid touching the canopy, oils from your fingers may affect the tinting (use rubber gloves).

3. Find a container larger than your canopy, preferably something you don't intend to use again.

4. Use hot water (140°F), and fill your container to a depth one (1) inch above the canopy.

5. Add 1 cup of vinegar for each gallon of water used.

6. Mix in two parts of black dye and one part of Royal Blue dye thoroughly, there should be no clumps.
(Note: This combination will produce a smoked tint. You could also use straight Black or any other color desired.
I used 3 total packs of dye in a 10 Gallon plastic garabage can. Perhaps I should have used more dye to reduce
the total time needed to get the right level of tint.)

7. Depending on the tint desired this process could take anywhere from 20 minutes up to 12 hours.

8. Once your canopy has reached the desired tint, remove and rinse with cold water.

9. Now marvel at that spectacular tinted canopy, and giggle at how cheap and easy it was to do.

10. Now say to yourself … Damn I’m Good!

I did try and maintain the water temp for a couple of hours, but then just kind of left it alone. The other point to make is I prefer a rather dark tint. You may not and others have reported adequate tinting in as little as 20 minutes. This is certainly not an exact science as their are a large number of variables. You just have to work at it until you get what you want. I believe the trick to avoid any chance of warping is to avoid water temp over 140°F and dye the canopy before you trim in any way.
Old 08-24-2005, 08:01 AM
Walt Thyng
My Feedback: (9)

I've used this method many times. It works great. Does take a little time toget that last shade of darkness.
Walt
Old 08-24-2005, 08:26 AM
Navy18

Is there any particular type of dye? Where do you pick it up?
Old 08-24-2005, 08:33 AM
Walt Thyng

The tips article referes to Tintex and Ritt. Both are available at supermarkets. I've only used Ritt simply because that's what my market carries.
WT
Old 08-24-2005, 08:37 AM
Navy18

Thanks for the reply and info; I will pick some up this morning and give it a shot......
Old 08-24-2005, 09:40 AM
Walt Thyng

Good luck. Keeping the water hot helps, but isn;t critical. It just speeds things up. I've used a foam beer cooler for my container. Seems to work.
WT
Old 08-24-2005, 11:08 AM
Deadeye

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I used the above method with 150 degree water with great results.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Jh15640.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	38.1 KB
ID:	314490  
Old 08-24-2005, 11:36 AM
Square Nozzle
My Feedback: (1)

I've also used this method with great success. And as an offshoot, I have also tinted control horns and hinges. It's especially desirable when the white nylon stands out against a dark control surface. That final touch makes all the difference. Obviously you choose the color to suit the situation.
Old 08-24-2005, 03:47 PM
Charlie P.

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Two more suggestions. Tint the canopy before cutting it off the mold flanges. They occasionally warp if overheated and the added material helps keep them in shape. Also gives you something to grab that won't smudge the results.

Don't try and economize and use only one color. Black Rit dye alone produces Orange and Navy Blue alone produces light Easter Egg Purple. Leaving it in overnight produces a lovely dark Easter Egg Purple. Equal parts Black and Navy Blue produce a coffee color. All of these also produce lots of off color language. Ask me how I know. I'm the pilot of the only "amber" tint canopy on a Contender 60.

Old 08-24-2005, 06:54 PM
Navy18

Thanks Charlie; I am going to go with the 2 black, 1 blue mix and leave it over night...... we'll see what shows up in the morning.

jim
Old 08-25-2005, 07:15 AM
mirwin

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

NAVY18,

I have discovered that how long it takes to produce the desired tint depends a lot on the material you are tinting. For example, I died a canopy that came with my GP Super Skybolt kit in about two hours using two RITT boxes. But after soaking in three RITT boxes overnight the canopy that came with a Goldberg kit had not been tinted at all. I presume that it's the quality of the material being dyed.

I mention this because you wrote that you would soak your piece overnight. I recommend that you watch it for an hour or two to get a feel for how well the material is responding to the dye.

Mike
Old 08-25-2005, 08:22 AM
Navy18

Sounds like a good idea Mike; I will keep an eye on it and see what the first hour or two do.... I know I want a darker shade. Hope to pick up and try this out today. I'll let you know.

Name:	Sq47456.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	19.7 KB
ID:	314821  
Old 08-28-2005, 05:47 PM
dennis
My Feedback: (90)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Not all canopies will tint. I forget what the newer ones are made out of but it isn't butrate anymore. It's more like a lexan derivitive. Do make sure that you add vinagar to the pot and believe it or not a little salt helps too.
The chloride helps to etch the dye into the plastic.
dennis
Old 01-09-2006, 01:27 PM
3D Flyer
My Feedback: (37)

I have a canopy that did not tint in 45 min. Does that meant hat it would not after all might using salt and viniger?
Old 01-09-2006, 02:05 PM
kdheath

FWIW, here is Mike Gretz of Sig Mfg. on canopy materials:

<Ted,
Alan is right on. SIG canopies are not made of butyrate plastic. They are made of PETG plastic.

We haven't used butyrate plastic for at least 10 years, maybe more. If you successfully dyed a SIG canopy in the meantime, you had one that was old stock.

Bottom line is PETG will not accept dye of any sort that we have tried.
On the plus side, PETG is a lot tougher and doesn't get as brittle with age as butyrate plastic, not to mention that it molds easier on our end.

Mike Gretz
SIG Mfg. Co.>
Old 01-09-2006, 03:25 PM
krossk
My Feedback: (27)

ORIGINAL: kdheath
SIG canopies are not made of butyrate plastic. They are made of PETG plastic.
We haven't used butyrate plastic for at least 10 years, maybe more. If you successfully dyed a SIG canopy in the meantime, you had one that was old stock.

Mike Gretz
SIG Mfg. Co.>
Well, the canopy on my Somethin Extra (purchased 12/05) tinted up very nicely. I seriously doubt that kit was 10 years old.

Name:	Sq47325.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	14.7 KB
ID:	384321  
Old 03-09-2006, 02:33 AM
Capt. Bill

I have tinted those white control horns and even bolts with Rit dye. I does make a difference when the back plate for the horn is in a wing
Old 03-09-2006, 10:25 AM
Deadeye

ORIGINAL: krossk

ORIGINAL: kdheath
SIG canopies are not made of butyrate plastic. They are made of PETG plastic.

Mike Gretz
SIG Mfg. Co.>
Well, the canopy on my Somethin Extra (purchased 12/05) tinted up very nicely. I seriously doubt that kit was 10 years old.
Just tinted mine on my Somethiin Extra a few days ago. While it did take longer than the Skybolt up there a few posts, it did take the dye. No salt, no vinegar.
Old 03-09-2006, 09:13 PM
N1EDM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Same luck here with RIT dye, about a year ago... as Deadeye stated, mine took a while too... and it scratched in a couple of places where I was not too careful with it (i.e., hangar rash) but overall it dyed up OK.

Bob
Old 03-11-2006, 10:35 PM
pamvic

Having been unsucessful in dye tinting,many years ago I used to use a transparent paint put out by Testors mainly for model car use. This could be a little hit or miss affair as it was difficult to spray it on even. At a local hardware store I recently found a 200ml.spray can of .... plasti-kote GLASS SPRAY PAINT....... origin unmarked but distributed by.... Master Distributors Pty.Ltd. 11 Howleys Road.Notting Hill.Victoria.Australia.3168. It looks disaster when first sprayed on but drys completely transparent and even shade in about 30 mins.
Old 03-25-2006, 01:05 AM
teufelhund

Hi all,

Here is one of my canopies I recently completed. Acrylics, Acetate, Butyrate, Lexan, Plexi, PETG, I haven't found anything yet that I can't tint using the proper chemical combination and employing the right technique. Ben

Name:	Db84018.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	26.6 KB
ID:	432601   Click image for larger version

Name:	Tr50091.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	32.7 KB
ID:	432602   Click image for larger version

Name:	Vt56775.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	29.1 KB
ID:	432603  
Old 03-25-2006, 01:42 AM
Kmot
My Feedback: (24)

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

15 seconds in a bath of RIT black dye. No other chemicals, vinegar, etc. Temp was approx. 155*F

I wanted a light tint. 15 seconds is all it took. This is my SIG 4*60 canopy.

Name:	Jh17283.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	32.2 KB
ID:	432616   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ql35104.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	27.3 KB
ID:	432617  
Old 03-25-2006, 09:17 PM
da Rock

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I just tried to tint two canopies. One was from a World Models ARF and the other just a no-name Chinese mfg's "discount" ARF.

Neither of them took a bit of color from 2 packs of black, 1 pack of Navy Blue, vinegar, and salt. I let them sit in the brew in a pot that was sitting over a fan housing that shakes, sort of a poor man's "ultrasonic" bath. They jiggled away for about 3 hours. I'd washed them off with soap before trying to die them just in case there was some kind of mold release or whatever on them.

After they failed to take the die, I washed them again and decided to spray paint them with Testor's canopy tint. It's lacquer I think. It usually works halfway decent. It went crazy with spots. I'm guessing that the salt or maybe the vinegar had actually gotten into the plastic and was brought out by the thinner in the lacquer.

So I blew time and money on the die, and that wound up screwing up the painting.

Some things work, some things don't. And some things don't work and screw you up even more.
Old 03-27-2006, 03:09 PM
Oldbob

go to aerobob web site. www.rcaerobats.net there he shows a neet way of using Testers tent

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.