Go Back  RCU Forums > Glow Engines, Gas Engines, Fuel & Mfg Support Forums > Gas Engines
Reload this Page >

The best 50 CC class gas engine for doing 3d?

Notices
Gas Engines Questions or comments about gas engines can be posted here

The best 50 CC class gas engine for doing 3d?

Old 08-24-2005, 02:46 AM
DiscoWings
My Feedback: (76)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default The best 50 CC class gas engine for doing 3d?

What is the best (ie lightest, most powerfull, and reliable) engine in the 50 cc class that works well on 3d planes?

I think its the Da50 for the power to weight, but I have also seen the BME and ZDZ engines... so basically I'm confused on what engine to pick to power my 50cc plane and would like you guys/gals to give your suggestions.

Thanks[8D]
Old 08-24-2005, 03:30 AM
paoloquattrocolo

Default RE: The best 50 CC class gas engine for doing 3d?

In this moment the best engine for 3d planes is the DA 50 for power.
I've tried zdz 50, 3w 50 but the DA 50 is more performance with 23x8 6300rpm is perfect for 3d and imac.
I used ks muffler and it's very good.

Paolo
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Nl30422.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	101.1 KB
ID:	314398  
Old 08-24-2005, 08:21 AM
rmh

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Which KS muffer ? a non tuned type?
Old 08-24-2005, 10:28 AM
coony2787
My Feedback: (33)

Well this is basically just a matter of opinion. I personally like ZDZ , I have had DA's also they was fine but the ZDZ had more power turns a 23x8 at 6900rpm with nothing but a pitts style muffler. The ZDZ has better throttle response. The ZDZ doesnt have the problem with the carbs that the DA's have. A DA sounds like it is going to die everytime you do a viloent manauver. A ZDZ just purrs right threw it. I will pick the ZDZ any day and have sold my DA's to buy ZDZ. Just my preference.

Chad
Old 08-24-2005, 11:40 AM
davewallace
My Feedback: (29)

Hi Coony,
From what you are saying it seems like the reed valve is effected by ineria. The ZDZ has a rotary valve with no such problem and it Opens earlier then a piston port. This should give more torque. Do your ZDZ's run hotter the the DA did? ZDZ's seem to be a little light on cooling area. This is a real issue in a long hover, right?

Dave
Old 08-24-2005, 12:38 PM
rmh

I run ZDZ's - - and using the new ignition tach setup -I get direct rpm readings -on the ground or saved from flying -as max rpm -which the tach will read out on landing .
because I don't have other engines to directly compare -I stick with just reading what the tach says.
The 23x8 that reads 6300 may be a very good number -for the conditions reported
How can you know?
My ZDZ50 NG is piped with a AMT pipe and the rpm numbers I have are accurate and repeatable -but obviously not under same conditions as the report above.
My 23x8 is a JAS -a wood copy of Mejzlic - which runs 7200 on the ground.
A Bambula 22x8 - 6700 and 7600 ground and level flying numbers
A Mejzlic 22x8 7790 and 8340 ground and level in the air. In 90 degree not muggy days -typical at our field in summer mornings at 4350 ft elevation.
The model is an EF YAK so ---- not a racer type
I like the 23x8 prop best tho the Bambula is very quiet and only suffers from less inital acceleration --
Old 08-24-2005, 03:04 PM
DiscoWings

So I'm guessing the contenders are ZDZ and DA

They both are priced around the same, how is the support for ZDZ? Can I get help easily if my engine starts messing up?
Or Should I go with DA, because even though its not as powerfull but there is good support and I will be taken care of if something happens.

Also this will be my frist gas engine. I am used to flying the 1/4 scale planes w/ OS 160 & Moki 1.8
Old 08-24-2005, 04:14 PM
coony2787

RC showcase is topnotch for service. I had a problem and they took care of it in less than a week i sent my engine in on monday and had it back by friday. Very good service.

Chad
Old 08-24-2005, 05:33 PM
bpryor
My Feedback: (45)

There are at least two more top choices, and in IMHO, both are better for a variety of reasons than any discussed here so far. There was a thread recently that covered this subject fairly well, not that I don't like repeating myself, but to save some time and get you some data fast, here's the link to that thread:

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_32...ey_50cc/tm.htm

The person that started the thread ended up getting the MVVS 45 Mag, which is one of the two I'm talking about. The Taurus TS-52 is the other.
Old 08-24-2005, 06:57 PM
ZAGNUT
My Feedback: (1)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

let's not get too hasty and forget the great engines from airhobbies....integrated muffler-mounts and beautiful red paint.....

dave
Old 08-24-2005, 07:02 PM
bpryor

ORIGINAL: ZAGNUT

let's not get too hasty and forget the great engines from airhobbies....integrated muffler-mounts and beautiful red paint.....

dave
Dave, please tell me that was a facetious post.
Old 08-24-2005, 07:07 PM
rmh

from the sublime --------
Old 08-27-2005, 03:41 PM
Jim Branaum
My Feedback: (3)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: ZAGNUT

dave
I have an AirHobbies 3 inch twin that I have flown for around 2 years. I think you may have never run yours. I found the engine to be a wimp for power and wished I had spent my money on known equipment instead of this heavy under performing monster. There are several problems I experienced. The supplied electronics fail, as did the warranty replacement. Once I had a replacement package overnighted to me at my cost because they were not going to warranty the second failure. When the second replacement failed, I converted to C&H and never had another problem. The muffler connections leak, the supplied shock mounts did not work well in my application (they caused other things to break as the engine bounces around at idle), the muffler/mount tends to allow the engine to rotate unless you are very careful in tightening down the mount bolts.

Unless you find an airframe that has built in lift, I very seriously doubt that this engine is capable of providing you with 3D capabilities, red paint that turns as it gets heated, or not.

Old 08-27-2005, 10:26 PM
Bob Laine
My Feedback: (91)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I know I'm starting a new can of worms but, the answer to your question is "TAURUS" all the way...........
Old 08-27-2005, 11:02 PM
Diablo-RCU
My Feedback: (1)

A fellow at our field has a used Taurus 52. It isn't as strong as the three Brison 3.2 engines that were lurking about. The Taurus just came back from the service department. The owner likes to run it with a 20x10 prop because anything larger simply doesn't rev up and pull.
Old 08-27-2005, 11:21 PM
GoeKeli
My Feedback: (18)

DA50 all the way! I am 100% sure about this and that is where I put my money. Good luck with whatever engine you choose. A pair of hacker 50s would be my second choice!

Joe
Old 08-28-2005, 12:20 AM
excaliber

I'd have to stick my .02 cents here with the Taurus against the Brison 3.2.
If the owner is running a 20x10 on a 3.2 it is under proped. That 3.2 will run 24x8's if its set up properly. Mine do. personnaly a 23x8 or 22x8 or would be preferred.Sometthing is deffinently wrong.
Old 08-28-2005, 01:04 AM
bpryor

ORIGINAL: Diablo-RCU

A fellow at our field has a used Taurus 52. It isn't as strong as the three Brison 3.2 engines that were lurking about. The Taurus just came back from the service department. The owner likes to run it with a 20x10 prop because anything larger simply doesn't rev up and pull.

Unbelievable. Diablo, you're a broken record. I guess some things never change. Certainly everyone here can make up their own minds, but for me, a bunch a people that own, or have owned, Taurus' and post their facts, hold a lot more weight than someone that has no ownership experience, posting some extremely nebulous second hand info. I'm sure it would be a lot more helpful for DiscoWings if you posted something positive about 50cc engines you have used, instead of posting second hand negative info about an engine you've never owned.

Obviously, if this guy's TS-52 will only run a 20X10, he needs to have it checked out because something is wrong, either with his setup, or the engine. I'm sure Taurus will be glad to fix it for him. FYI, my TS-42 turned a Menz S 22X10 at 6600 with the stock Pitts-style exhaust. Not only is the TS-52 a significantly more powerful than the 42, but mine was the older model that had less power than the current motors.

BTW, I meant to mention, that although I've stated my two favorites, any of the engines mentioned so far, setup properly, will do a great job with the stated task. Some might do it a little better than others, but they're all in the same ballpark. To me it would come down to cost, service and reliability...and even emotional preference. IMHO, the performance of all of them is too close to make that the deciding factor.....and... weight is also too close to make it a significant factor in the decision.
Old 08-28-2005, 02:54 AM
DiscoWings

so how is this mvvs 58, aka evo 58.

Tom from wildhare said this is the engine to have.

turns a 24x10 inch prop at 6900 rpm and has around 8.5 hp.

Its heavy but Apparently its the best fit for 50-60 size cc gas.

The plane I have is a wildhare 28% extra special.

man I was almost about to pick up a zdz 50ng and then I find out about this.
Old 08-28-2005, 07:19 AM
coony2787

Hi Coony,
From what you are saying it seems like the reed valve is effected by ineria. The ZDZ has a rotary valve with no such problem and it Opens earlier then a piston port. This should give more torque. Do your ZDZ's run hotter the the DA did? ZDZ's seem to be a little light on cooling area. This is a real issue in a long hover, right?

Dave
My ZDZ 50's have no problem with heat. They are always around 195-210 degrees when i check the head temperture after a flight. And believe me it is hot here in Mississipi. If they can stay kewl here then they can stay cool just about anywhere.
I think you are right about the interia also. In a violent manuver a rotary valve still stays the same. To where a reed vavle can distort and not open due to applied pressure's.

Chad
Old 08-28-2005, 08:31 AM
Crusty

ORIGINAL: coony2787

Hi Coony,

Dave
My ZDZ 50's have no problem with heat. They are always around 195-210 degrees when i check the head temperture after a flight. And believe me it is hot here in Mississipi. If they can stay kewl here then they can stay cool just about anywhere.
I think you are right about the interia also. In a violent manuver a rotary valve still stays the same. To where a reed vavle can distort and not open due to applied pressure's.

Chad
Huh?, are you saying the reeds are effected by g-forces?, this is gonna be hard to prove either way, but I am highly doubtfull of it.
Anyone with the maths to work this out at least theoreticaly?, the mass and inertia of a reed petal is very small and its orientation especially in a rear induction layout is not conducive to producing this effect
Old 08-28-2005, 09:35 AM
coony2787

quote:

ORIGINAL: coony2787

quote:

Hi Coony,

Dave

Chad

Huh?, are you saying the reeds are effected by g-forces?, this is gonna be hard to prove either way, but I am highly doubtfull of it.
Anyone with the maths to work this out at least theoreticaly?, the mass and inertia of a reed petal is very small and its orientation especially in a rear induction layout is not conducive to producing this effect
I'am sure it will hrad to prove but that is my theory!! . And i do believe a reed valve could be moved via g-force.

Chad
Old 08-28-2005, 10:00 AM
Bob Laine
My Feedback: (91)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

A Brison beating a "TAURUS", All I can say is "UNBELIEVEBLE" and I do mean unbelieveble.
Old 08-28-2005, 10:02 AM
bpryor

ORIGINAL: DiscoWings

so how is this mvvs 58, aka evo 58.

Tom from wildhare said this is the engine to have.

turns a 24x10 inch prop at 6900 rpm and has around 8.5 hp.

Its heavy but Apparently its the best fit for 50-60 size cc gas.

The plane I have is a wildhare 28% extra special.

man I was almost about to pick up a zdz 50ng and then I find out about this.
I had bought, and received, an MVVS 58 Prosport for my 87" Yak, and changed my mind and bought the MVVS 45MG. Why? Weight. The 58 is an incredible engine and on paper, I agree, it sounds perfect for a 30% plane, and I think it would work great. I know people are running this combination with great success. I just decided that wing loading was more important than outrageous(read excessive) power. It sure would be fun, but for 3D, wing loading is king in my book. The 45 will still have plenty of power to hover, and I believe(we'll find out), plenty of excess power to pull out rapidly from tight situations, with a 16lb +- plane.
Old 08-28-2005, 10:22 AM
rmh

After all the speculation is replaced by actual use -which is "best 50 for 3D"-may be a bit more unclouded.
The 58 MVVS is almost same weight as ZDZ60 and powerwise about a wash. but both, almost a pound heavier than DA or ZDZ50 which weigh exactly -to the ounce- the same.
the 45 MVVS looks very good - and may be close to 50 output -
The ignitions on these are VERY similar.
Buy one -or the other ------

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.