Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Crash & Rebuild
Reload this Page >

Gremlin Crash

Community
Search
Notices
Crash & Rebuild Post your crash stories, pictures and if you want to document your rebuild you can do that here too!

Gremlin Crash

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2006, 03:19 PM
Gravityisnotmyfriend
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Gremlin Crash

Took my Gremlin out on its maiden flight today. I got this kit from the president of our club. He had bought it over ten years ago and figured if he hadn't put it together by now, he probably never would. This plane calls for a .25 engine. The smallest engine I have is a TT .42 so I used that. I wasn't sure what to expect when I hand launched it, but it flew right out of my hand. MAN this thing was fast - easily over 100MPH. About 5 min into my first flight I throttled back and that's when I realized that I had the idle set too low. I hate to end a maiden flight with a deadstick, but I had no choice[:@] I used up all of our runway, but I got it down with no damage. The second flight is where all the fun began. I started pulling hard turns to see if this plane would snap out of them ( I heard that it will if the throws are too high). After a few minutes of this, I noticed that I had lost some control. I brought it in over the runway and by this time I had almost no control. If I pulled up - it rolled left, if I then fed in some right to correct - it did nothing. It became apparent that I had lost control of my right elevon. All I could do is throttle back and try to keep the wings level. It hit hard, but all that was damaged was the fuse. The right elevon servo was loose and had all of the mounting tabs broke off of it. This servo had been in a few other crashes and I guess the tabs were weak. Oh well, a trip to the lumberyard for a new piece of gutterpipe and I should be able to get this back in the air.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ec87475.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	58.9 KB
ID:	380340   Click image for larger version

Name:	Sn42255.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	90.2 KB
ID:	380341   Click image for larger version

Name:	Va72005.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	237.1 KB