RC Monster Trucks Discuss rc monster trucks in this forum

Unofficial Savage X thread...

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2006, 01:13 PM
Dale Gribble
My Feedback: (4)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Unofficial Savage X thread...

Guys, there are like 5 Savage X threads, and I want to consolidate everyone down into one. (Plus I don't want to keep following 5 to see what others are saying.)

Here is the scoop- HPI has again revised the Savage and it will be available in February! This is enough to be a Savage 2, but they took the 'X' route instead.

Link. Savage X link is right on top. [link=http://www.hpiracing.com/index2.htm]Savage X[/link]

Highlights-

- Lower profile chassis, drops tranny, engine and radio box 5mm!
- Redesigned radio box! They listened!
- Easy access gearbox to adjust the tranny
- Quick access diffs
- Lighter suspension arms
- Adjustable turnbuckles
- New shock towers
- 17mm hexes!
- Tuned pipe with removable cone
- New Nitro Star F4.1 Engine
- Roto Start
- New wheels, tires
- Nylon roll bar with 4 point head cage
- New body!

So, whos getting one?
Old 01-19-2006, 01:54 PM
MotorPsyko

Default RE: Official Savage X thread...

ehhh....

HPI is just following Duratrax's lead biting off of the Warhead... [:-]
[>:]
I'm curious as to how exactly the glow start expansion thing on the RotoStart2 is going to work and I like that extra roll bar for the rear. The optional add ons for the rx box are really cool, especially the battery indicator, props for that. Other than that anyone can redesign a chasis, put a bigger engine in and "improve"(fix) what wasn't quite up to snuff in the first place. Nothing truely innovative with the X imo.
Old 01-19-2006, 01:55 PM
RCtruckRacer

I wish I could... That thing looks ultra cool. GREAT paint job on a stock body too! And only another month or so before release.... damn.
Old 01-19-2006, 02:08 PM
Dale Gribble

I could have the resources to buy one, but I would have to let something else go and not sure if I am willing to do it. I really like that LST and my Xfactor project... Don't know if I could let either one go.

This new Savage is different then most releases, because you know it is gonna be hot out of the box. There shouldn't be a single growing pain with this truck since it is an evolution of years and years of data collection and experience. I would have no problem plunking the coin down on a first run of this truck, because I know it's gonna work great.
Old 01-19-2006, 02:23 PM
RCtruckRacer

I'm with you Dale, I'd have to give up my LST to get that. I have so much time and $$ in the LST I just can't do it! But it looks good, and not we tarded, I might get one anyway (sorry, had to say it!)
Old 01-19-2006, 02:51 PM
Dale Gribble

$459.99, Tower Hobbies-

http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXMCA1&P=0
Old 01-19-2006, 02:55 PM
PillowPants

Hmmm.. I was planning on dumping $450 into a Losi BK2.. Might have to get one of these bad boys instead
Old 01-19-2006, 03:00 PM
Dale Gribble

You have to dude... This will give you way more fun then a BK2. If you have the $$$ around, just wait- it will be worth it. Unless you plan on racing the BK2, you know the X will take way more abuse. Sides, you don't want to worry about cuttin comms and replacing brushes and all of that stuff. RO-TO-START!
Old 01-19-2006, 03:03 PM
alvinl

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

$459 is not a bad price at all. I know what I am getting for my birthday.
Old 01-19-2006, 03:03 PM
PillowPants

ORIGINAL: Dale Gribble

You have to dude... This will give you way more fun then a BK2. If you have the $$$ around, just wait- it will be worth it. Unless you plan on racing the BK2, you know the X will take way more abuse. Sides, you don't want to worry about cuttin comms and replacing brushes and all of that stuff. RO-TO-START!
Yeah man I am most def getting one of these ASAP. I work 6-10 hour weekends with my dad. 10 bucks an hour or so, (grinding, sawing, using band saws). I'll ask if i can get one backordered on tower hobbies tonight, then work off my debt.
Old 01-19-2006, 03:08 PM
RCtruckRacer

ORIGINAL: TheHamburglar

Hmmm.. I was planning on dumping $450 into a Losi BK2.. Might have to get one of these bad boys instead
Whaaaaa???

Don't you strictly bash? Why would you get a car totally designed to race on the track? Definately get the X unless you plan on racing at the track... BTW, that class is one of the, if not THE oldest classes in rc racing. It has the most competition, and the racers with the most experience! They are also THE ABSOLUTE hardest to drive fast on the track to boot! If you are taking up that class to race, my hat's off to you, and you have my utmost respect!!!!
Old 01-19-2006, 03:10 PM
Dale Gribble

A few points of notice-

I am a little bummed that they stayed with the composite break pad instead of the dual stainless disc brakes like on the SS. Guess they gotta save cost to keep the price down, but I would think their cost is pretty negligible- like maybe $2 per RTR?

Why do they have a 17mm hex, but regular savage axles? That removes all compatibility for wheels, but at least they include the standard 14mm hexes in the box. Kind of a 1/2 arsed attempt. Should have gone to 17mm truggy size hubs/wheels or 23mm. Ah well.
Old 01-19-2006, 03:13 PM
Dale Gribble

Yeah man I am most def getting one of these ASAP. I work 6-10 hour weekends with my dad. 10 bucks an hour or so, (grinding, sawing, using band saws). I'll ask if i can get one backordered on tower hobbies tonight, then work off my debt.
That's what I am talking about. Can't wait to see 'Savage X' in your signature! I do have a very large tax return on the way (I love deducting paid interest and taxes on my home!). I may have to reallocate a little bit of those funds to my SavX fund.
Old 01-19-2006, 03:19 PM
Doug_Funnie

holy **** thats badass
Old 01-19-2006, 03:23 PM
PillowPants

ORIGINAL: lstRacerX

Whaaaaa???

Don't you strictly bash? Why would you get a car totally designed to race on the track? Definately get the X unless you plan on racing at the track... BTW, that class is one of the, if not THE oldest classes in rc racing. It has the most competition, and the racers with the most experience! They are also THE ABSOLUTE hardest to drive fast on the track to boot! If you are taking up that class to race, my hat's off to you, and you have my utmost respect!!!!
I was more or less gunna get one to see what the buzz around 1/10th scale electric RC was.. But Screw that! I'm gettin a Savage X
Old 01-19-2006, 03:59 PM
Deandome
My Feedback: (1)

I second the 'ehhh'

some chassis tweaks, mostly to make things easier to work on (MUCH needed!!), new, non-standardized wheels (ANNOYING new trend!!! [:@] ) ...other than that, it's all pretty cosmetic and/or basic/cheap tweaks. Why not a 4.6 engine? Why not beefier shocks?

I guess w/the Hellfire out, they didn't really need a clean sheet 'o paper truck, but it ain't exactly jaw-dropping and/or exciting. I'd take the LST 2 over it in a heartbeat....maybye/probby even the SS

beh.

Dean
Old 01-19-2006, 04:10 PM
PillowPants

Hmmm.. this? or the hellfire?
Old 01-19-2006, 04:20 PM
Dale Gribble

Hellfire is $589 at Tower... Depends on your budget. That thing is badass tho.
Old 01-19-2006, 04:24 PM
nicholsm04
My Feedback: (-1)

I'm really considering one of these instead of an LST2.. this looks SWEET!
Old 01-19-2006, 04:25 PM
paperclipracer
My Feedback: (3)

im geting it
Old 01-19-2006, 04:34 PM
binaryterror

I think it more depends on what you are going to do with it...

Race...Hellfire all the way, the Savage will never touch a truggy.

Bash...Savage series is the best HPI made basher out.

Hellfire is $589 at Tower... Depends on your budget. That thing is badass tho.
Old 01-19-2006, 04:41 PM
PillowPants

Well I dont even go NEAR R/C race tracks, so I should probably go with the SavageX.. They fixed all, well almost all, of the things that made the Savage25 suck. I dont know though.. My little bro just dropped a RE.32 into his savvy.. The mayhem ST also looks pretty sick.. ahh decisions, decisions...
Old 01-19-2006, 04:53 PM
Dale Gribble

I stand by Savage, because I had to go through the pains of bringing a 21 up to a level that it was reliable and bashable. Once I did that, the truck just never broke. I bashed the crap out of it, and it just kept going for years. The plastics are very strong, the chassis is a great design, it has great jumping characteristics and balance, and it's just a great truck.

As far as going from a .28 to a .21? I have seen .21s wallop .28s. Depends on so many factors. Displacement is not everything in this biz. Machining, porting, timing, knife edging the con rod, materials, tolerances, it can all make a well built .21 kill a .28.

Thing is gonna be the bash king. I don't know if anything will outbash this X. Make no mistake tho- it's still not a racer, not even close.
Old 01-19-2006, 04:57 PM
PillowPants

I stand by Savage, because I had to go through the pains of bringing a 21 up to a level that it was reliable and bashable. Once I did that, the truck just never broke. I bashed the crap out of it, and it just kept going for years. The plastics are very strong, the chassis is a great design, it has great jumping characteristics and balance, and it's just a great truck.

As far as going from a .28 to a .21? I have seen .21s wallop .28s. Depends on so many factors. Displacement is not everything in this biz. Machining, porting, timing, knife edging the con rod, materials, tolerances, it can all make a well built .21 kill a .28.

Thing is gonna be the bash king. I don't know if anything will outbash this X. Make no mistake tho- it's still not a racer, not even close.
Yeah, and with the $450 price tag, you really can't beat it. This will probably be my next RC purchase.
Old 01-19-2006, 05:05 PM
RCtruckRacer

Not a racer you think? Granted, its still a Savage. But I think it LOOKS a lot more race worthy than the previous ones... seems to have close to the same cg as the LST at least by looks. The mill looks to be good too. I think it will need far fewer tweaks to make it a contender on the track compared to previous Savages. Especially for club races.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.