Notices
Park Flyers & Backyard Flyers Discuss RC Parkflyers and rc backyard flyers in this forum

Firebird Freedom

Old 05-07-2006, 04:54 PM
JTHogan
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Firebird Freedom

What is the maximum size battery that the motor will take? For example I have a Parkzone P-51 and its battery is one cell larger. Will it burn up the motor? Might be a dumb question? Thanks...
Old 05-08-2006, 08:39 AM
AJ1202

Default RE: Firebird Freedom

JT, going up one cell won't burn up your motor right away, over time it might wear it down, the big issue is the extra weight but it should work OK
THe batt for the Stang is a 10.8 and should produce a good bit more power
Hope this helps
Old 05-08-2006, 09:28 PM
JTHogan

Thanks for the info...
Had a excellent maiden flight last night with stock battery, Had to adjust tail screws and then ran out of juice,
The plane flew well but seemed "twitchy" alot more response than my commander. I was impressed by the speed it had, but I felt like I was flying out of control due to the "twitchyness" I am fairly new to the sport so not sure if that is how three channels feel? Any input is appreciated....
Old 05-08-2006, 11:44 PM
Slo-V Flyer

I think it felt twitchy maybe due to its larger controls on the tail. Plus, you're not used to controlling pitch with your 2ch. Commander, so that may be it. Don't worry, just take it easy with little stick movements (in calm weather, of course) until you get used to it's reactions.
Old 05-09-2006, 07:33 PM
JTHogan

thanks again guys,
Another thing I noticed today, When I was testing controls, After full throttle if I decrease throttle rapidly I get some sort of feedback or interference because the motor "blips" to half or 3/4 throttle for a second and then turns off? I am not using ACT so any other things to check?

Old 05-14-2006, 12:56 PM
Gryphon

I sent you a PM,

By the way, what are you for a charger? I think that the original charger may only be good for 4-7 cell Nimh and it also does false peaks and you need to unplug and the replug them back in the cigarette lighter.

Did you upgrade the battery already? if so since you are using more cells, how are you charging this battery? Do you have a different charger than what the plane comes with?

That may be your problem. you can not charge the 8 cell Nimh using the original charger supplied with the plane.

I hope that helps, read the sticker label on the charger and/or owner's manual to verify.

Good luck and I hope this helps.

Gryphon
Old 05-14-2006, 07:08 PM
JTHogan

thanks gryphon got the pm,
I am using a MRC Brain charger so I am aware of the charging issue. I still am using the stock battery, but I have 2 of the P-51 batteries so I thought if I could use them it would let me be able to fly longer @ the park!
As far as your prop change, Do you think that it is wise to change back to original prop when on stock battery? I would love to go li-poly but I can't afford the switchover due to the cost of batteries and charger....Will that prop work on the P-51 battery?
thanks,
john
Old 05-15-2006, 11:12 AM
Gryphon

Which stock prop are you talking about?

The Prop for the P-51 can not be used, because that P-51 has a gear reducation so it can swing a large prop slowly. You can not swing a 10X8 prop in a direct drive configuration using a 480 motor.

Your plane comes with a 5.9X3 prop (I believe) same as the original stryker, same as the larger one of the two that comes with the F-27B intended for the non Li-poly setup.

Since the strykers come with the same motor and prop as you, and they also do recommend a 8 cell for better performance. You should feel very comfortable using your original prop with the 8 cell battery.

I have dozens of full throttle flights on my stryker with an original 480 motor and 5.9X3 stock prop using 8 cells.

If I were you I would also try using the F-27B li-poly prop 5.3X3.3. I put it on my setup using the 8cell nimh battery and my plane flew faster with this prop. I was expecting a reduction in my climbing power, but I was not able to notice any.

2.3mm Prop adapter and an APC 6X4 will bump up the power consumption, but will increase the performance of your plane, should be the most fun setup. I know the ESC/Receiver unit of the stryker can handle this prop on 8cell or even full throttle on 3 cell Li-poly (11.1V).
A motor Heat sink is well worth it for the 3 cell LI-poly if you plan on flying full throttle till the battery runs out. Do not bench test full throttle non-stop in your room due to lack of airflow around the motor (I learned the hard way).

******** I do not know what ESC your plane comes with, but I have no doubt that you would be o.k. with some throttle management using the big APC 6X4*******

Have fun
Old 05-15-2006, 11:19 AM
Gryphon

http://www.parkzone.com/Products/Rel...g&SubCategory=

Propeller(7 & 8 Cell): F27/B Stryker

$2.99 [PKZ1002]

Note: For use with 7 or 8 cell NiMH battery.
Old 05-16-2006, 05:34 AM
Gryphon

It shows that the P-51 battery is 9 cell=10.8V, I thought it was 8 cell=9.6V SORRY.

But my answer still stands, because I was also using the same props that I was talking about on 3 cell lipoly=11.1V

*** I think you need to keep and eye on the temp of the battery, full throttle runs are o.k. but keep them short for your battery***

You will draw about 15 Amps with the APC 6X4 Prop and less with 5.9X3.0 and even less with the 5.3X3.3

Choose the prop depending on your flying style. If you can use some throttle management (not wide open throttle the whole time) I would go with the APC.

XXXXXXXXX Make sure that your ESC has air flowing around it to help it cool down. Don't by shy about cutting some holes/slots to let in some air, also make sure the air has holes/slots for exit.

Consider cooling holes, vents and such for your battery too.

Gryphon
Old 05-17-2006, 11:35 AM
Mr.Pibb

ORIGINAL: Gryphon

Propeller(7 & 8 Cell): F27/B Stryker

$2.99 [PKZ1002]

Note: For use with 7 or 8 cell NiMH battery.
so you can replace the stock prop with this one and get what, more speed, better performance? I haven't upgraded my batteries yet, and I'm very new to this, but if increased performance/speed can come from a simple prop change I'm all for it!

Old 05-17-2006, 01:55 PM
Gryphon

I was just using that as an example to show that the same motor is fine on 8 cells per factory recommendations. They are always extra conservative due to warranty purposes. so 9 cell=10.8 V or in my case 3 cell Lipoly=11.1 volt has proven to work.

It looks like the freedom has a 1/2" larger prop than the stryker's original prop, above. I called Horizon.

Freedom has 6.5 diameter X 3.0 pitch This will give you the most climbing power and least speed. Highest draw between the 3 props.

Original Stryker 5.9 X 3.0 This will give you a little less climbing power, but a little more speed. Lower draw.

F27B Lipoly prop 5.3 X 3.3 This will give you the least climbing power, but higher speed depending if you are not drag limited. Just try it, in a stryker it is faster even on 8 cells compared to the other 5.9X3.3 prop. Least Amp draw between the 3 props while using the same battery.

My favorite prop is a APC 6X4 $2.50 plus a $5 prop adapter for 2.3 mm shaft. Will draw more out of the battery compared to the 5.9X3.0, and make the motor work harder, but give you the most performance. The motor can handle this prop all the way up to and including a 3 cell Lipoly battery voltage of 11.1V.

The amp draw between the 6.5X3.0 Vs APC 6X4 has not been tested but must be close.
Old 05-24-2006, 06:16 AM
packyj

Another thing I noticed today, When I was testing controls, After full throttle if I decrease throttle rapidly I get some sort of feedback or interference because the motor "blips" to half or 3/4 throttle for a second and then turns off? I am not using ACT so any other things to check?
was there any response to this problem? I made an attempt to fly my firebird freedom yesterday and in two different locations my plane was unflyable... motor would turn on and off and vtail assembly would twitch with no input from the transmitter... curious as to the causes of these problems as the plane flew perfectly days before
Old 05-25-2006, 12:25 AM
Gryphon

I am not sure why this happened. I will try and ask my friends.

***Did you guys range check the equipment before flying? With the Antenna down, 30 steps away and such.......***

I don't think the following apply in your case, but here we go:

These planes are on 27Mhz. there is only 6 channels, from ch1 through ch6.
There are many toys on these same channels, so I wonder if there were other people on the same channels.

Another thing when my batteries were low(very empty), I have seen some freaky things. Were your batteries low, very low?

This has been the case in my room, (after the motor had been cutoff and I landed), I had the battery plugged in while adjusting some control surfaces and there was so little voltage left that the servo's started freaking out. Seen this more than once.

Let me know and I will try and ask my brother who has more experience with the same exact plane

Gryphon
Old 05-25-2006, 06:45 AM
packyj

Thanks for the response Gryphon.

In reply, yes, I had field tested from all sorts of distances. As it turns out both places I had tried to fly were right in front of two different schools. I suppose that some sort of interference (maybe wi-fi?) could cause some sort of interference. But once the second location wasn't working well at all my brother and I took a very, very long trek through the neighboring field. We were at least 400 yards from anything at all... no trees or houses or anything and still getting the same interference. Batteries in the plane were fully charged but the next idea from my lhs was to replace the batteries in the transmitter even though the light indicates they are okay and it hadn't given the high pitched scream.
Old 05-25-2006, 10:30 AM
packyj

by the way how do you like the p51? my brother just bought one and we're kind of holding off until we've mastered this freedom to save some needless crash dollars
Old 05-25-2006, 02:39 PM
Gryphon

packyj

I can tell you about my brother and his P-51. He is a good flyer but after he stuffed it into the ground a couple of times, he found out that each time he needs to replace the cowling, and the gear reduction transmission.
Motor in the front raises the cost of the crash and the repair and down time. I don't believe that he flies it any more. He did enjoy it, but not enough to keep flying it.
Mean while he is having a lot of fun with the Parkzone Typhoon 3D. You will get the same kind of damage with this plane if you stuff it for some reason. He bought the PNP (plug and play) it is cheaper and you can put in your own radio equipment (if you have any).
He found out that the servo's were the same as stryker but have 3 wires(like most radio systems), instead of stryker's 5 wire deal.
He replaced them all right after he moved a control surface by hand and it stripped the servo. He went with the Hitec 81MG and needed to add a little nose weight. I think that was a bit of an overkill but now he sleeps very easy.

Gryphon
Old 05-25-2006, 06:12 PM
packyj

We've run into the problem of not having any electronics as we're both very new to this hobby. Having purchased complete RTF kits it has kind of hampered us in a way. Once we're more proficient I'm sure that next step will be a nice Tx.

I found my problem with the freedom was weak batteries in the Tx. Not weak enough to sound the alarm or dim the light but enough to cause problems.
Old 05-26-2006, 02:58 PM
packyj

Seems I've jumped the gun as it's doing it again.... call to hobby zone and a simple reply "send it in".
Old 05-30-2006, 05:24 PM
ob4114

I am considering buying the Firebird Freedom and it would be my first experience with R/C. Do you reccomend this as a first time aircraft or should I look at another option?

thanks
Old 05-30-2006, 06:11 PM
Gryphon

It is one of the best ones to start with. Just make sure to buy 2 or 3 extra batteries, so you can fly all day and not wait 1 hour to charge each battery.
I recommend at least the 8 cell battery for much better performance, but your original charger can only charge 4-7 cells, so you will need a new charger.
Old 05-30-2006, 09:18 PM
packyj

i would definetly suggest it as a first plane... just follow the pointers that have been given (i.e. fly high > 30 feet, and don't fly in wind)
Old 06-02-2006, 04:58 PM
JTHogan

I agree great plane for newbie like myself. I started with a Commander and then wanted to get more realistic with a third channel. I wish this plane was out when I bought the commander it is a great plane. No need for ACT though.
Old 06-30-2006, 08:40 PM
rcman00123

is the firebird, freedom a good plane to start with?
Old 07-01-2006, 05:55 AM
Gryphon

yes it is a great plane to start with.
Either this plane or the Firebird challenger (the Orange colored one).

Buy yourself a spare wing for $15 and a tail set also, so there will be no down time when and if you crash. You will crash everyone crashes, but the good news is that it is a crash worthy plane and can be repaired easily and cheap.

Buy 2 extra batteries so you can fly without having to wait 1 hour inbetween flights.

Gryphon

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.