Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Helicopters > Electric RC Helis
Reload this Page >

E-Sky Honey Bee Ducted Fan Conversion...

Community
Search
Notices
Electric RC Helis Discuss electric rc heli's such as the Piccolo, Logo 10, Logo 20, Hornet, Eco.

E-Sky Honey Bee Ducted Fan Conversion...

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2006, 01:19 AM
ccpmheli

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default E-Sky Honey Bee Ducted Fan Conversion...

Hello, Just wanted to post a pic of the conversion. I have only test hovered her in the kitchen, but she seems to have plenty of authority, and much smoother than o.e.m.

Dressing up the tail....I'll color it soon.

BTW, She flies great, and with good tail authority! Now I can fly in the grass with no takeoff/landing surface. Grass is only a threat when I turn her over now :-)

Old 07-22-2006, 10:16 AM
RC-MAN-4EVA

Default RE: E-Sky Honey Bee Ducted Fan Conversion...

where did u get that ducted fan?
Old 07-22-2006, 06:44 PM
ccpmheli

Helihobby.com, this page, scroll down...>>> http://www.helihobby.com/html/dragon_fly_upgrades.html
This is the first time I have done business with them, but I think I am hooked. Good prices, cheap S&H, and everything exactly as described. They have most parts/upgrades for small helis and others.
BTW, I used the low volt fan on my Honey Bee, it uses 8.4 volt pack.
Old 07-24-2006, 12:05 PM
taoist flyer

Verry cool, good job, can you shoot sum video?.
Old 07-24-2006, 06:28 PM
ccpmheli

Thanks! I do not own a camcorder yet, I will try to borrow one and post a vid. Till then, I will say, that I am a beginning heli flyer(electric), I can sustain a hover and do a one revolution pirouette, so the video won't be that exciting. I feel that the ducted fan's performance is equal to or greater than the o.e.m. tail, and has not affected run time. I love it.

Downside: It does add some weight over the o.e.m., battery will have to be moved forward. In all fairness, the heli was a little tail heavy with the o.e.m. setup too.
Old 07-26-2006, 10:21 AM
taoist flyer

That’s about all I do in my honey bee video. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hifiWWlyhgs
If you can hover, do a pirouette, and add a ducted fan to your helicopter then you’ve got skills man.
Did you have any trouble installing it? I want to get one but I couldn’t even solder on my tail motor when it burned out, I had to have the girl at the hobby shop do it.
Old 07-26-2006, 06:08 PM
ccpmheli

Hey, the video looked good. You are controlling her in some tight spaces, thats good skill. I liked the sneaking up behind the hill(bed), like Airwolf would do, all of a sudden, there it is..Cool. If you get ready to do the fan conversion, maybe I could post a step-by-step with pics to help you along. It is not too hard, and requires nothing more than some CA glue, hobby knife(Xacto), drill bit, etc. Of cousre a little balsa if you want to make a fin(I could upload the pattern if you want). The hardest part is getting the old tail motor mount off, mine was glued on, yours may be attached by screws, which would make it easier. Then you could sweet talk the girl at your hobby shop to handle the soldering part, they may find the mod interesting anyway. Good Luck! Let me know if I can assist further.
Old 07-27-2006, 10:20 AM
taoist flyer

Their are a few other parts I need to get as well (batteries, motor, and maybe a metal rotor head) so it will probably be sum time next month.
Ill let you know when I get one. I know I will have a question or two.
By the way, Thank you for the compliments on my flying ccpmheli, I guess all my hours on the sim weren’t in vain.
Old 07-27-2006, 11:00 AM
credence
My Feedback: (2)

If you can piro a FP heli without losing control, you're doing well indeed! [8D]. Keep it up. If you can master flying that little bugger, anything larger will be an absolute breeze.

Cool tail fin by the way .
Old 07-28-2006, 12:30 AM
ccpmheli

Thanks!