Community
Search
Notices
RC Electric Off-Road Trucks, Buggies, Truggies and more Discuss electric RC off-road, buggies & trucks here. Also discuss brushless motors, speed controllers aka ESC's, brushed motors, etc

oval setups

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2006, 10:38 PM
hoss76

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default oval setups

I have a brushless evader pro and I was wondering how to set it up good for an oval. For instance, shocks and tires, and what is the best gearing for a medium size clay track.
Old 10-17-2006, 11:00 PM
XXT-CRer

Default RE: oval setups

Get some shock spacers and use them on all four. put a .125-.250 spacer between the piston and the cartridge to lower the truck a bit. you will also want to run heavier shock fluid than you would use for offroad racing. its hard to say on what gearing you should use not knowing what motor, or the exact size of the track.
the most important thing you can do in oval racing is make the truck stick in the turns. forget all that pretty sprint car drifting stuff. if you want to go fast, tune the truck for the corners. a little push is better than a little oversteer.
Quick and dirty wedge lesson......

If....

The truck wants to keep going when enter the turn, it's pushing, meaning the front doesn't have as much influence as the rear. Tighten the left rear spring 2 rounds. This will shift the weight from the rear to the front. This will make turning in, far more agressive.

The truck wants to keep going when exit the turn, it's pushing, meaning the front doesn't have as much influence as the rear. Loosen the right front spring 2 rounds. This will shift the weight from the rear to the front. Same concept as above, but this will make exiting the turn more stable.

The truck is spinning out going in to the turn, it's oversteering, meaning the rear doesn't have as much influence as the front. Loosen the left rear 2 rounds. This will shift the weight from the front, to the rear.

The truck is spinning out coming out, it's oversteering, meaning the rear doesn't have as much influence as the front. Tighten the right front 2 rounds. This will shift the weight from the front, to the rear, just like above, but it will make exits more stable.

The basic concept of wedge is that it works diagonally.. The RF controls the traction of the LR, and vice versa. Want more weight on the RF? Increase the spring tension, and thus the ride height, of the LR. Imagine a teeter totter, but instead of a skinny kid vs a fat kid, you'd got to weight lifters pushing UP on each side. If you want weight lifter A to carry more weight, you have weight lifter B push up on his side. That'll cause A to have to support more weight. That weight = traction. You control exactly how much traction A has, by changing how hard B is pushing.

i had a bud on here called speedmunkey that shared much of this info so, thanks again munkey.
Old 10-18-2006, 05:30 PM
hoss76

Default RE: oval setups

thanks man. tat should do it. by the way i'm runnig a 5800 super sport brushless