Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Helicopters > Electric RC Helis > T-Rex heli
Reload this Page >

Could you suggest a good 400 to 450 electric heli?

Community
Search
Notices
T-Rex heli For all you T-Rex lovers out there, this where you can post!

Could you suggest a good 400 to 450 electric heli?

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2007, 09:43 PM
strat1960s

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Could you suggest a good 400 to 450 electric heli?

The guys from the Heli-Max AXE CP group are going to hate me for this......

I'm still learning with my AXE CP, but I'm looking at upgrading to a 400 to 450 electric heli.
I've read several reviews in RC Heli Magazine. I like the Align TREX, but after looking at the review and website, I also like the RCT Diablo. With all the choices, is there one that flies better than another, has better parts availability, better sustomer service?

Any help would be appreciate.

Ted
Old 10-02-2007, 10:35 PM
BoysToys

Default RE: Could you suggest a good 400 to 450 electric heli?

I also started flying with an AXE Cp back in March of this year. I got to where I could hover in all orientations and fly lazy figure 8's with it totally stock. In July I upgraded to a T-Rex 450 SE V2 with a Gy401/9650, HS-65mgs, and a DX7. I went all out up front because I knew that I would end up upgrading to the best eventually so it would be cheaper just to start out with it in the first place.

Anyway, I primarily chose the T-Rex because of its popularity and the simple fact that my LHS stocks just about every part for it. The heli guy at my LHS also flys a T-Rex and was very helpful during the entire process. He even gave it the once over after I built it to make sure everything looked good before I took it out for the maiden flight. With that being said I really don't think you can go wrong with any of the T-Rex models SA, Se, V2 or the Thunder Tiger Mini Titan E325, or the RCT Diablo. Just remember that that the kit you buy will probably be less than half of your total build cost. I spent around $1,000 for my complete setup and the heli kit was $420.

Old 10-03-2007, 05:31 AM
Georges Payne

I agree with BoysToys. I have a SA with a GY401 and 9650, HS-65MG, and a 9C Super. I am completely satisfied with it. With the budget I had, I preferred to buy better electronics and a plastic heli. I don't regret it one bit, although it is true that I ended up buying some aluminum replacement parts when I crashed. But I don't have that much time to fly, so it will not wear out too fast I guess. The main thing is availability of replacement parts.
Old 10-03-2007, 05:52 AM
helorookie

I have flown a Trex 450. I just ordered the EFlight 400. It is a RTF with a new 2.4Ghz Spektrum setup. I am not too sure about the gyro, but I have a GY401 if I want to change that out later. You can find it here: [link=http://www.hobbyzone.com/rc-helicopters-e-flite-blade-400-3d-rtf.htm]EFlight 400 3D RFT[/link].

I got into Electric because I am currently in Iraq, and the availability of Gas or Nitro is non-existant.

Hope this helps.
Old 10-03-2007, 05:53 AM
USHobbySupply

HDX450v3 all the way. Better buy for the money than the TREXSEv2. All cnc, 1/2 the price. Setup vid's and reviews by finless.
Old 10-03-2007, 06:42 AM
heliaction

I'm interested in how the HDX is half the price?? Correct me if I'm wrong but $300 for HDX at YOUR shop and it comes with a motor only. Now T-Rex V2 kit can be found for $400, it has the latest and greatest of head and tail design, A powerful motor (was told HDX was underpowered by finless himself), a great esc worth $55 and a battery worth $60. So with that being said the HDX is $300 + $55 + $60 = underpowered motor, comparatively poor parts supply and more $$ than the already proven original T-Rex.

Go V2 T-Rex the quality and support is SECOND to none.
Old 10-03-2007, 07:13 AM
USHobbySupply

The v2 had the underpowered motor, which was reviewed by finless. Now v3 is out, with an improved motor. Yes, the price you quote is motor only. Unadvertised prices bring that down even further along with combo specials.

I'm not sure what you are referring to when you mention the parts supply, since 90% of the parts are interchangeable. Granted the frame is not, but i find that i go through more head stuff than anything else. I Like to fly with the trex plastic head, since i'm not that great of a pilot yet. still trying. Plastic tail works good also.

Hey, but to each their own. I was simply supplying other options to the original poster. Everyone has their own opinions, thats what makes the forums great. Multiple views can be expressed openly and the readers and contributors all learn along the way.

Happy flying,
Michael
Old 10-03-2007, 07:30 AM
heliaction

USHobbySupply,
I was not intentionally having a digging at you, more the fact that everyone thinks these T-Rex "clones" are cheap. When you price everything together, they aren't. Granted most places sell the V2 T-Rex for $500ish, but if you look around you will find it for $400.

I wasn't aware which model had the underpowered motor, i read it and saw it in finless vid when i was thinking of getting one. The parts supply problem isn't a biggy really, more so that not a lot of people sell parts (or the non T-Rex cloned parts) for it and doesn't leave your options open for sourcing parts. I also read in the HDX thread that helidirect hadn't stocked a particular part for over a month. Might be wrong but i thought it was a main gear or something to do with it.

And you are right each to there own, that's what makes our "free" lives great. Well almost free, not all the time in this part of the world where i currently reside.

Lets face it they are both a sweet machine, and i would take either over my first walkera 22e, it taught me to fly but my T-Rex is making me a better pilot
Old 10-03-2007, 07:48 AM
[]TEX[]

T-Rex 450SA
Old 10-03-2007, 07:51 AM
USHobbySupply

No hurt feelings on my part, i hope i did not come off that way.

Yes, the market has changed considerably over the last several years. I learned on a walkera fp, was/is it the best bird out there. NO. But it did teach me sticks, and stick time is all important. I dont think the wife would have bought me one if it was more than the $100 she paid for it back then (2+ years ago).

Fully agreed. Both are sweeeeeeeet machines. I (until this last weekend) had a trex. Loved it. Love the HDX.

About the only thing left that is free is one's own opinions.
Old 10-03-2007, 08:55 AM
alienteabagger

I also graduated from the AxeCP, went with a TRex450SA. Had I known about the many clones out there I probably would have gotten a clone instead. The HDX, CopterX, Diablo, Phantom, to name just a few.... All of these fly just as well as a TRex and the all share the same exact head and tail design (except for one of them that uses an underslung flybar). Clones are far cheaper and a way better value than the Align versions. Spending the extra money on the "name brand original" won't make you a better pilot, just a poorer one.
Old 10-03-2007, 09:38 AM
soneebee

The TREX is really a good heli to fly.. the V2 has all the blings and parts that made the heli fly better... it does have some flaws.. but flying it is really worth the price tag.... The Copter X is far one of the cheapest yet satisfying heli to fly... I think most of the locals here has this heli and flies this heli over the TREX.. parts are cheaper but you get the same sensation as flying a TREX.. Its something that is worth having...
Old 10-03-2007, 11:22 AM
rlsloan

Go with the basic T-Rex 450S. $229 from hobbypeople.net.
Old 10-03-2007, 07:18 PM
strat1960s

To be honest there are too many choices. If I can find a good combo that is truely RTF I'll probably go that route. I looked at one site saying their HDX450 was RTF for $475. As i scrolled down the page it had everything but the motor, tx ands rx. Now to me a RTF is RTF out of the box, not add the motor, TX and RX for another grand. I saw a couple of 400/450 class RTF helis on the RC Heli Universe for sale site. How reliable are these sites? I don't want to buy someone else's wrecked POS.
If I had to piece a 450 class heli together, I'm leaning towards the RC Tec Diable as far as clones go.
Ted
Old 10-15-2007, 08:16 PM
flag8r

I would suggest a Thunder Tiger Mini Titan...great stable fly. Many exp pilots at my field fly both the Trex 450 and the Mini Titan and they all prefer the Titan. You can pick one up for only $220 with motor and ESC from www.amainhobbies.com

Old 10-15-2007, 09:21 PM
strat1960s

I appreciate everyones suggestions on which heli to go with. I'm going to go with the RC Tek Sky Shark. I feel like I'll get the best heli for the buck with the package I'vee put together. Thanks again.

Ted
Old 10-15-2007, 09:33 PM
flag8r

In my humble opion...I would seriously advise you not to get that heli. Do you not have a transmiter yet? If that's your issue, get a cheap Futaba 6 channel. Go with a Trex Mini Titan...there will be way more parts available online and at your local LHS, more help on the boards, and way less headache. In the long run the few extra bucks will be worth the lack of headaches.
Old 10-18-2007, 10:42 PM
dtacmed

I know this is a T rex forum but I have a MX-400 Pro and love it. I (also have a T rex 600) I have also had extremly good support from Heli-Max. If you have a local Hobby Shop I would go with the one they stock if they also stock a good supply of parts. If you don't Tower Hobbies provides very fast shipping on Heli-Max parts.
Old 10-19-2007, 11:25 PM
Richkid241

I know that this isn't the e-flight thread but you might want to look at the new blade 400 it does come rtf and with the spectrum dx6i that will hold 10 models.have to say that for $469 complete is hard to beat.
Old 10-20-2007, 09:51 AM
bschott

I guess I'll throw my hat into the ring. I'm -still- learning hoverin basics, and started off with an AXE CP, which I upgraded with their "Gyro MOD" pdf. While only owning the AXE CP for a few months, I decided to purchase a 450SA, with the Align 430 Motor and 35A ESC, then I added a JR7202 (heli specific) transmitter w/285 Servos, JR G500T Gyro and JR DS3400G High speed tail servo. I took my time on the build (as I enjoy those aspects) and when I was done, I had a quick flight (hover). This thing was rock steady compared to the AXE CP. Personally I think that the 450SA is a better candidate for a first heli rather than the AXE CP. Regardless I had a little mishap where (no velcro on battery/frame) the battery flew up and struck the flybar and broke one of the arms on the seesaw.

I decided to rebuild the rotor head with the align aluminum parts (grey to follow the frame color). I just completed that the other night and the action on these parts are beyond the composite parts of the stock rotor head. I really like the Align 450 series helis in that if you take your time, they are easy to build and understand. The directions are very good, and that theres' a pelothera of parts availiable on the market for them.

One thing I will say now that I understand how all of the components work together (thanks to the Align build), looking back at my AXE CP, I can see that it was setup soooo wrong from the factory. the swashplate isnt level on the gyro's when @ mid stick, the flybar weights were not leveled and/or adjusted properly for a beginner, etc. It's like they just threw the thing together with no fine tuning.

Here's the bad points in the kit:

The stock composite seesaw is not strong, and I'd recommend immediately replacing with the align upgraded seesaw. The front drive gear for the tail rotor is crap, and apparently seems to spin off it's medal shaft. Microheli makes a gear that will attach to the stock shaft for about 15 bucks. Even better they also sell the whole shaft with drive gear for 29.00 on which the drive gear is fixed and not held on with set screws.

Otherwise, I'm glad I bought the Align T Rex. For me the toughest part was understanding how to setup the transmitter and fine tune it it what I needed.
Old 10-20-2007, 10:15 AM
strat1960s

bschott,

Thank you and everyone else for all of your helpful comments. If there is one thing that everyone has mentioned in one way or another it's that they are soooo happy they went with a 450 class copter. Whether it be a T Rex, Mini Titan or Sky Shark, I am certain that I'm in for a great experience. One thing that I appreciate most about the 450 class is that "almost" every part is compatible with other 450 parts. I'm pretty much sold on the Sky Shark for now.
Thank you for bringing some very important point to my attention.
Ted