Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > Speed - Electric
Reload this Page >

The Unofficial all things Jet drive thread

Notices
Speed - Electric For all your electric boating needs.

The Unofficial all things Jet drive thread

Old 10-22-2007, 02:44 PM
Quicksilver1

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default The Unofficial all things Jet drive thread

Thought with the increasing interest, we should have a place to post whatever pertaining to jet drives. Post your builds, boats, questions and thoughts here.

to start, heres my boat, I'm going to make a much larger post tonight with new good quality videos.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Zx70465.jpg
Views:	657
Size:	64.1 KB
ID:	788129   Click image for larger version

Name:	Zu65296.jpg
Views:	1055
Size:	82.2 KB
ID:	788130   Click image for larger version

Name:	Fk18208.jpg
Views:	797
Size:	50.8 KB
ID:	788131  
Old 10-22-2007, 03:56 PM
joccee

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: The Unofficial all things Jet drive thread

you've probably already seen it but here is mine.
only have these crappy pics of it. Now its thrown away. was fun for a while but it took in water all the time and the motor came loose after a crash.

but hopefully I'll be gettin a jet sprint with a feigao 380xl and lipo. And I will try to build a sort of powertrim for it.

(not surprised that it was you who started this thread quicksilver)

Name:	Bz77438.jpg
Views:	661
Size:	71.1 KB
ID:	788152   Click image for larger version

Name:	Yt62968.jpg
Views:	624
Size:	47.3 KB
ID:	788153  
Old 10-23-2007, 12:01 AM
Quicksilver1

Joccee I was hoping you'd add yours, always liked that boat. Yeah, who'd have thought it would be me [sm=tongue_smile.gif]I figured a thread should be started, individual builds threads are great, but we should have a place to chat and bring it all together so all the new comers can see all the boats.

some more info
mines a villain IV hull
700sc motor
Jeti Navy 600 esc
Graupner 29mm jet drive pro2
16 IB 3600 cells
aluminum armored hull
tonight I folded my twin 8 cells packs to set the center of gravity farther back, will test tomorrow

some more pics and new video
[link=http://media.putfile.com/new-high-res-rapis-running-10-22-07]high res[/link]
[link=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=835MC3wCo5k]low res[/link]

I didn't have a camera man today, so I tried my best, but I got the lighting better now. I started with 8cells in this vid, trying out lighter weight. Than got bored and upped to the 16, a bit of a difference.

my original build thread
[link=http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_4549478/anchors_4549478/mpage_1/key_/anchor/tm.htm#4549478]Jet-Villain Build[/link]

All my videos
[link=http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=quicksiler]VIDEOS[/link]
they go in reverse chronological order, so you can see the progression.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Jet drive links

Hobby grade jets
[link=http://www.hobby-lobby.com/jetdrives.htm]US Graupner jet dealer[/link]
[link=http://www.jet-drive.de/vg_server/custom/frameset.php?generateID=1&pageTitle=Kehrer-Modellbau&language=0]Kehrer jet drives (German)[/link]
[link=http://www.swashdrive.com.au/]Swash Drive, high quality gas powered jet units(Australia)[/link]

Full scale jet manufacturers, good conceptual info and ideas for improving the existing jets.
[link=http://www.hamiltonjet.com/]Hamilton Jets[/link]
[link=http://www.berkeleyjet.com/]Berkley Jets[/link]
[link=http://www.americanturbine.com/]American Turbine[/link]
[link=http://www.ultradynamics.com/sections/educational/why.asp]Ultra Dynamics(good reading)[/link]
[link=http://www.marinejet.com/view/53]North American Marine Jet(advanced info here)[/link]

The only part you can replace on the Graupner units.
[link=http://www.funrcboats.com/ProductInfo.aspx?productid=GR2344.2]impellers for the Graupner 29mm drive includes drives 2344,2340,2345[/link]
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I would like to encourage everyone who currently owns or even had built a jet boat and no longer has it, to post here, try to put in your setup, some pics, videos if you have em and a link to your build thread. Would be a great data base. This includes you diego, that was a nice SW26 jet, even if you sold it[>:]
If anyone has more links or info to add to the list, throw me a PM and I'll add it to this main post.
All for now
~QS

Name:	Sq46258.jpg
Views:	572
Size:	109.7 KB
ID:	788519   Click image for larger version

Name:	Cx75589.jpg
Views:	876
Size:	68.7 KB
ID:	788520   Click image for larger version

Name:	Fk18200.jpg
Views:	569
Size:	39.5 KB
ID:	788521  
The following users liked this post:
packy046 (07-29-2023)
Old 10-23-2007, 11:44 AM
headhunter23

Man you really knock the snot outta that thing! That's a lot more shallow than I figured to run no wonder ya need that aluminum. How come you don't use a grill over the inlet?

Ivan.
Old 10-23-2007, 12:56 PM
Quicksilver1

oh I've messed with grates(grills), they just dont seems to work. I made a real good one, like you couldnt make one less restrictive if you tried, but it would cause the drive to cavitate horribly. If it caught air, you'd have to stop completely. I think it has to do more with the scale of the boat. The grate would be about 1/10 the size of a real boats, but water doesnt scale down. You get a surface tension effect over the grate, which makes it tough to re-prime. It takes all the fun out of it and when you run on a lake your losing top speed. It's a risk I'm willing to live with.

Yesterday I should have known better, when she grounded across the stream, I honestly didnt want to cross to go get it and did something stupid, if I had just stopped it and walked over it would have been fine, you can blame stupidity and pain meds for my back on that one. Like I said probably the last time for the year doing that, it's fun, but yeah I beat the snot out of it.

Today, I was going to run the lake, but it's pouring so I did some more modifying, I decided to decrease some wetted surface on the hull and removed the trim tabs(really just dont need them) and I removed the point of aluminum that hung past the hull. Should actually change things quite a bit, now if it only would stop raining.

hey and if you're posting here, you better put a darn pic up

Name:	Mj24392.jpg
Views:	1511
Size:	87.2 KB
ID:	788913   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ez82835.jpg
Views:	497
Size:	94.2 KB
ID:	788914  
packy046 (07-29-2023)
Old 10-23-2007, 06:16 PM
VDub99AML
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Here's my Aqua"jet" build, and some pics. This was a really fun project to do, and the outcome was amazing. It almost seemed like the Aquajet hull was made for a jet drive. i never did put the gps on it this summer due to extreme laziness, however, it does give satisfactory speed, and acceleration is awesome. For anyone who may consider building a jet boat, please take my advise and do not use plastic model cement to assemble the jet pump. I used that instead of epoxy because it was handy. About a dozen or so runs later, the pump was being ripped from the hull and reassembled with epoxy. The only real flaw this hull has with the jet drive is that it has a tendency to flip if spun out just right. I have yet to flip it, but my friends have accomplished it for me.
Oh, and one other thing, jet boats are hard to bring back in when flipped if you're using the ol' fishing pole. There's nothing really to "catch" with the line because there is no strut or rudder sticking up. Be sure to tape well!

Build:
http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_47...tm.htm#4725969

Pics:

Name:	Us53824.jpg
Views:	472
Size:	56.2 KB
ID:	789134   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ql34537.jpg
Views:	451
Size:	63.5 KB
ID:	789135   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ot47725.jpg
Views:	380
Size:	45.1 KB
ID:	789136  
packy046 (07-29-2023)
Old 10-24-2007, 09:33 PM
headhunter23

aml damn that is a nice looking boat... yea quicksilver I'm actually working on mini-me (figured the name a couple days ago) right now... motor and such came in monday but exams stuff gettin in way. Currently trying to figure out how to set the servo inside. but got motor to plug on real nice and such.

Btw for the mini jet from graunaper how the hell do you put the control arm on the damn jet... like there's no screws for securing it... and gluing the very small area is crappy too. ideas?

Ivan.

oh yea quicksilver you blow your back too? did mine in construction.. sucks.
Old 10-24-2007, 10:53 PM
Quicksilver1

ORIGINAL: headhunter23

aml damn that is a nice looking boat... yea quicksilver I'm actually working on mini-me (figured the name a couple days ago) right now... motor and such came in monday but exams stuff gettin in way. Currently trying to figure out how to set the servo inside. but got motor to plug on real nice and such.

Btw for the mini jet from graunaper how the hell do you put the control arm on the damn jet... like there's no screws for securing it... and gluing the very small area is crappy too. ideas?

Ivan.

oh yea quicksilver you blow your back too? did mine in construction.. sucks.
[link=http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_5787190/anchors_5787190/mpage_1/key_mini%252Cjet%252Cgraupner/anchor/tm.htm#5787190]mini jet ski[/link]

Not sure what you mean particularly, but there's good pics in the above link. I used push rod and a servo horn to turn the nozzle The horn utilizes the top pivot screw of the steering nozzle and is also glued in place, then the rod is bent at a 90 degree angle and pushed into the horn.......pretty simple......hope these pics help. yeah.......all the same boat

p.s. yeah degenerative disk disease

Name:	Xv22579.jpg
Views:	430
Size:	30.7 KB
ID:	789851   Click image for larger version

Name:	Pk31863.jpg
Views:	429
Size:	29.8 KB
ID:	789852   Click image for larger version

Name:	Us52802.jpg
Views:	462
Size:	29.6 KB
ID:	789853  
Old 10-24-2007, 11:59 PM
BB Modss

I built a jet drive boat out of a spare aeromarine radio box..does that count?
Old 10-25-2007, 10:56 AM
DRAGONFIRE81M

Quicksilver its about time you started a tread all about jet drive . ill post the two i have after i get some better vid i havent really messed with them in a cople months been working on my buggy and truggy . and helping a freind get in to the hobby .
Old 10-25-2007, 11:32 AM
headhunter23

Crappy I forget which way the graunaper microjet has to spin, clockwise or counter. am at school and am hitting hobby store on way home. Oh say the view would be from behind the boat.
Old 10-25-2007, 11:42 AM
DRAGONFIRE81M

Crappy I forget which way the graunaper microjet has to spin, clockwise or counter. am at school and am hitting hobby store on way home.
its counter clockwise . becouse thats the way my mini-v jet wonts to flip
Old 10-25-2007, 12:45 PM
headhunter23

Wouldn't your boat try to flip the opposite direction of the prop, kinda like a rwd car?

Ivan.
Old 10-25-2007, 02:36 PM
Quicksilver1

ORIGINAL: DRAGONFIRE81M

Crappy I forget which way the graunaper microjet has to spin, clockwise or counter. am at school and am hitting hobby store on way home.
its counter clockwise . becouse thats the way my mini-v jet wonts to flip
well, my unit spins counter clockwise(left handed). Actually you shouldn't see much of any torque from a jet unit, the stator stops the water from spinning and makes it come out straight. You can still roll from the torque of the motor itself though.

Quicksilver its about time you started a tread all about jet drive . ill post the two i have after i get some better vid i havent really messed with them in a cople months been working on my buggy and truggy . and helping a freind get in to the hobby .
yeah, dont know why I didnt think of it earlier. Makes more sense. It's like having a thread about the SV27 powerplant, but more appropriate.
ORIGINAL: BB Modss

I built a jet drive boat out of a spare aeromarine radio box..does that count?
Did that thing ever get wet? I guess it counts, since the thread is about all things jet drive.
Old 10-25-2007, 05:01 PM
DRAGONFIRE81M

Wouldn't your boat try to flip the opposite direction of the prop, kinda like a rwd car?

Ivan.
My problem is motor tq a 550 12t speed gums is just to much for a little mini-v hull . but if you have the lid taped down . you can keep spikeing the trottle and it will turn 180 and pull in water to submarine it to the shore . i have done it once little scarry a first
Old 10-25-2007, 05:22 PM
DRAGONFIRE81M

proboat mini jet v

motor speed gems 12t
esc DuraTrax Streak
drive graupner mini jet
battery 2s 20c 1000 mah or 3s 33c 1450 mah lipo

big blue
31" deep vee fiberglass

motor two vinom 15t
esc two dinamite tazer
drive two graupner mini jets
battery two 7.2 3300 mah

Name:	Fd91780.jpg
Views:	822
Size:	53.9 KB
ID:	790253   Click image for larger version

Name:	Wr54841.jpg
Views:	409
Size:	73.5 KB
ID:	790254   Click image for larger version

Name:	In26624.jpg
Views:	417
Size:	31.8 KB
ID:	790255  
Old 10-25-2007, 07:04 PM
headhunter23

How fast does big blue go?

Btw almost done mini me... have to resoilder the esc wires and add some mini deans... ummmmm... cut out top add antenna and done. Will have it done tomorrow. Still lotsa cleanin up but screw that, I want to see it run! Will post full thread on build then add link in here.

Oh yea also is there something I can dip the servo in to make it water proof? Vaguely remember reading something like that on the forum somewhere...
Old 10-25-2007, 07:30 PM
DRAGONFIRE81M

it wasnot really fast with 21 t motors . i havent tryed the 15t ones bout about 15 mph i plain on going brushless and maybe put two of the 29mm drives like silver uses . i used blue rtv silicon on the mini's servo
Old 10-26-2007, 06:35 PM
Quicksilver1

it wasnot really fast with 21 t motors . i havent tryed the 15t ones bout about 15 mph i plain on going brushless and maybe put two of the 29mm drives like silver uses . i used blue rtv silicon on the mini's servo
yeah the 29's would be more appropriate, only issue is batteries, I dont know how people usually setup twin 700's, but you'll either need 24 cells or 12 cells and have to live with the short run time, she'll go like a bat out of ..... though
--------------------
You wont see the jet villain ever again like it is, I'm taking the cutting wheel to it tonight. Making what will be the Jet-villain II.....to quote myself.

ORIGINAL: Quicksilver

ok, this is hard to explain, but I decided a compromise between what I want and the way the poll went. First it's getting the jet drive, however it will be removable and be able to be replaced with surface drive hardware within 20 minutes or so.

It's really tough to explain in words, but the jet isnt going in like the other, I'm going to install the jet unit, with the back of the intake at the transom. So effectively it will be moved aft 2 inches. Most of the unit will protrude out the back. Then I'm going to lube the drive duct inside the hull and glass the whole back, glassing right over the drive, what this will do is, create a tunnel in the hull, so if I pull the drive out from underneath the boat will still be watertight, this gives me the ability to still use a surface drive when I want.

I'm going to fabricate most of the surface drive hardware from aluminum, but may buy a speedmaster strut. That probably made no sense at all, so I'll have to explain with pictures as I build. Kind of excited, but it's going to be a lot of work, especially since I really want to do this right once and not have a frankenboat.

p.s. with this setup, I could use the 700sc or the sv27 system, not a big deal to swap it out. and this boat will keep its keel, I'm going for light weight and speed, as apposed to ridiculous power and built like a tank.

Name:	Pn36818.jpg
Views:	342
Size:	147.3 KB
ID:	791049  
Old 10-26-2007, 09:08 PM
DRAGONFIRE81M

man that sounds sweet i cant wait to see some build pics of this one . i was hopeing you would do a better jet system on that poll. i would try it with the sv27esc and ammo motor on the jet drive. it seems like the jet drives need more rpm then torq to have the best output
Old 10-26-2007, 10:59 PM
Quicksilver1

man that sounds sweet i cant wait to see some build pics of this one . i was hopeing you would do a better jet system on that poll. i would try it with the sv27esc and ammo motor on the jet drive. it seems like the jet drives need more rpm then torq to have the best output
Got quite a bit of progress done today, removed the jet unit from the old villain and cleaned it up.. quite a bit of work. I got the unit out of the villain without completely destroying the hull.

Name:	Ca82498.jpg
Views:	407
Size:	52.3 KB
ID:	791227   Click image for larger version

Name:	Lg15670.jpg
Views:	365
Size:	50.5 KB
ID:	791228   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ou49974.jpg
Views:	402
Size:	73.3 KB
ID:	791229  
Old 10-26-2007, 11:14 PM
headhunter23

Wow, and then it was gone eh!?

Anyways heres a link to my micro 12.5" jet drive boat...

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_6544301/tm.htm

Any suggestions on ESC placement? So far no luck...
Old 10-27-2007, 09:40 AM
Wheelnut
My Feedback: (81)

So, another jet drive it is huh?
Don't butcher this one
Old 10-27-2007, 09:49 AM
Quicksilver1

I'm liking it so far, the motor has been moved back 3" It's actually mocked up already, have to cut a delta in next and then start glassing. This build is going along with a strict rule of KISS and patiently. The pouring rain and 50 degree temps, help me keep focused.
Old 10-28-2007, 12:24 PM
headhunter23

I know this is a duplicate question but it should be on this thread too... How do you stop porpoising? More weight in the front? Because ya can't trim the drive up or down.

Ivan.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.