Castor oil and YS engines

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2007, 06:38 AM
skrez
My Feedback: (15)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Castor oil and YS engines

Hi Guys,
With YS engines some people say use only Powermaster 20/20 fuel and others swear you must add castor oil or use a fuel that has castor already like Wildcat or Morgan fuels? I have a new YS 91 AC and want to make sure I break it in properly and run it with the poper fuel for long life.
Regards,
Frank
Old 10-26-2007, 10:27 AM
arobatx

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Castor oil and YS engines

I've been around lots of YS engines running castor mixed fuel, and the main problems I have seen are gummed up diaphragms, and more often, stuck exhaust valves from the excessive buildup. I've never used the PowerMaster fuels, but Coolpower Heli 30% is really friendly in the YS I'm sure Troy will give you a far better explanation of why not to use the castor, but I thought I would share what I have seen.

Chad
Old 10-26-2007, 12:04 PM
Troy Newman

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Castor oil and YS engines

Cool Power makes what they call a Pro-Pattern fuel it is a 20% oil mix and they make various nitro contents from 20-% to 40% These are excellent fuels for the YS engines, and on a par with Powermaster 20/20.

The best fuel I find is the Cool Power Performance Heli 30%. It is the heli fuel with the low viscosity oil.

If you choose the 30% heli or the pro pattern blends of Cool Power they have the proper oil content the regular Cool power Sport fuel is only about 17-18% oil and this is not recommended for YS engines. DO NOT use a 4 stroke fuel for the same reason not enough enough oil content.

Some folks will put Castor oil into their fuel. This has a couple problems. First you are diluting the nitro content. The more nitro the easier the mixture settings are to achieve. This is why I and so many run the 30% fuel and the 20/20 fuels are recommended. Next the high heat of the 4 strokes will cause big time build up of carbon with the use of Castor oil. It will clog up the exhaust port and exhaust valve, it will plugged mufflers and exhaust systems and it will bake onto the exhaust valve and can cause it to stick. It it sticks open and the piston comes up and hit it, it will be a very expensive fix.
The next thing is the pressure regulators have some small moving parts in them. If a castor oil fuel is used methanal and nitro will evaporate out when you leave th engine sit. You are then left with the castor oil in the regulator and it can get gel up up gum up and even get rock hard. When you try to run the engine the next time its difficult to get this gelled up gummed up oil out of the regulator. The synthetic oils are better and don't have this problem as bad as the Bean oil.

Now will Castor oil in and of itself cause a problem nope...it will work fine in the engine. However the carbon build up can be very quick. In today's world of synthetic oils there is no reason to use the Castor oil in any model engine. Some older experienced modelers do from habit and so on...However I only run Cool Power fuel in my engines and Cool Power is the all synthetic product from Morgan fuels. They also make a blend called Omega that is bright pink and it has some Castor in it. The 30% Heli stuff is a bright orange color...

My opinion is the 30% heli Performance is the best.

Troy Newman
Team YS
Team Cool Power