Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > ARF or RTF
Reload this Page >

Great Planes Sukhoi 31

Community
Search
Notices
ARF or RTF Discuss ARF (Almost Ready to Fly) radio control airplanes here.

Great Planes Sukhoi 31

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2007, 07:52 AM
MormonMike
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Great Planes Sukhoi 31

Is'nt anyone doing any kind of a thread on this plane ? It's nowhere's to be found on RCU .[] MM
Old 10-30-2007, 11:01 AM
sevans16

Default RE: Great Planes Sukhoi 31

I started a thread. Found one other. I uploaded several pics. I have not started mine but do have a DA-50, JR8711s, Smart-fly powersystem, fromeco 2600 bats.
Old 10-30-2007, 08:11 PM
Don M.
My Feedback: (5)

ORIGINAL: sevans16

I started a thread. Found one other. I uploaded several pics. I have not started mine but do have a DA-50, JR8711s, Smart-fly powersystem, fromeco 2600 bats.

I like the plane and I have a Taurus 52 but doesn't a 50cc seem like a rather large motor for this size plane ? I just wondering out loud.
Old 10-30-2007, 11:56 PM
sevans16

50cc will be a monster for sure. I have read many threads on similar size planes such as GP's own Performance Series Yak and Cap where people are using the DA50. It is also pretty close to H9 27% Extra 260 which everyone using 50cc gassers as well. Looks like it should balance well with the rudder servo in the rear of the fuse instead of the Pull-Pull position. With lighter engines nose weight will be needed per the manual. So if you going to have weight up there why have lead???
Old 10-31-2007, 05:38 AM
Don M.

Sevans16 If you have the kit do me a favour and measure the WIDTH of the cowl. I have a Saito 270 twin that I may consider for this.
Old 10-31-2007, 07:22 AM
sevans16

I have it all boxed up still. I will try and get it out inthe next day or two. Ihave it hiding from the other half right now. Still in the brown box LOL!!!!
Old 10-31-2007, 09:08 AM
Don M.

I have it all boxed up still. I will try and get it out inthe next day or two. Ihave it hiding from the other half right now. Still in the brown box LOL!!!!

What happens in Vegas stays in Vegas
Old 10-31-2007, 01:08 PM
MormonMike

3.2 Fox will do the job nicely. Canopy deck needs a balsa spacer on both sides of the front screw holes. Appears to be something that was overlooked at Great PLanes. If you try to tighten screws they'll just pull in and go through balsa siding on the deck. Mine also balanced perfect with the batteries centered in the wing under canopy deck. Will use 6 volt set-up to increase power to all Futaba 3305 servos. And yes, I'll turn it on and leave alone for a few minutes untill the "peak" comes back down to 6 volts. I can't find a volt regulator that will work for this application, there all for 6 volt and above . Anything below that and it shut's off the reg. Oh, one last thing, the canopy looks like crap. Very poor quality vacuum blown. Scratched, hazy, wont polish. Maybe there's an after-market one out there, possibly tinted too. MM

Old 11-01-2007, 11:40 AM
hrrcflyer

Don M.,

Your Saito 270 twin may be a bit much for the Sukoi unless you prefer FAST!! planes. A friend at the field where I fly has the slightly larger H9 260 with a Saito 300 with the twin carbs and that thing is nothing short of a rocket!!. Just my two cents worth.

I have to admit that the sound of the twin in his plane as it goes streaking across the field is AWESOME (when you can hear it over the prop bite)
Old 11-01-2007, 11:52 AM
Don M.

ORIGINAL: hrrcflyer

Don M.,

Your Saito 270 twin may be a bit much for the Sukoi unless you prefer FAST!! planes. A friend at the field where I fly has the slightly larger H9 260 with a Saito 300 with the twin carbs and that thing is nothing short of a rocket!!. Just my two cents worth.

I have to admit that the sound of the twin in his plane as it goes streaking across the field is AWESOME (when you can hear it over the prop bite)

I have 50cc gassers as well as the Saito and the 50cc is more powerful that the Saito. If this plane can handle a 50cc gasser it can handle a 270 Saito.
Old 11-01-2007, 03:07 PM
HUNTERANDJEFF

I've been reading this post for some time now being as patient as I possibly can be as to not post untill necessary. When GP put this plane out I HAD to have one. This will be my 1st giant (well, almost) scale airplane and 1st gasser. What do you gurus think of the new RC guys 48 cc twin gasser for this plane? It is featured in the December issue of FLY RC 2007. They claim it is smoother operation and less vibration than a single cylinder. It will spin a 22 X 8 prop at 6790 rpms. Is that too low? Of course, I am used to 14,000 and above because of the two stroke nitro engines that I'm used to. Would I be able to do 3D with that low of RPM? It costs alot more to get into larger airplanes with gassers but to not have to go out and constantly spend $18 per gallon of 15% nitro will be great.
Jeff
Old 11-01-2007, 03:55 PM
Don M.

I think a 50cc is a lot of weight on this 1150 sq. in. wing I even think I'm a bit crazy considering my Saito 270 ( 5 lbs. ) in this plane but IMHO a 50cc twin would be waaaay over the top.

I know what your saying about glow fuel. I use 20/20 CP and it costs me $28.00 a gal and my 270 drinks it like crazy but the grin factor when that thing is tearing down the runway is priceless. If I really wanted to save money I'd take up cross stitch.
Old 11-01-2007, 09:30 PM
sevans16

Funny you say a 50cc is too heavy but your Saito 270 is OK?I have a DA 50 weighs in at 3lbs. Muffler ?? about 5oz. Ign ?? 3-4oz. 2600mah bat 3.3oz. Total less than 4 lbs. With lots of power.
Old 11-02-2007, 05:32 AM
Don M.

Funny you say a 50cc is too heavy but your Saito 270 is OK?I have a DA 50 weighs in at 3lbs. Muffler ?? about 5oz. Ign ?? 3-4oz. 2600mah bat 3.3oz. Total less than 4 lbs. With lots of power.

If you read my post I said I'm probably crazy for considering my 5 lb. 270 I did not say it was OK. I'm not only considering weight I'm thinking about the vibration factor also. I looked at the online manual and this plane looks very lightly built in the fuse area. I had a Brison 2.4 in a Midwest 300S one time which is very close in size to the Sukhoi and it shook it to pieces.

Actually I have never seen this plane but am very interested and since there is not much info out there I'm trying to stimulate some dialogue in order to help me decide which is the best engine to use.
Old 11-02-2007, 07:32 AM
MormonMike

For engine size, a lot would depend on the altitude for where ever you fly. At northern Utah, 4500 feet requires a little more power. And mine is weighing in at a full 16 pounds. I must admit, a twin gasser does have some appeal. Saito is also coming out with a gasoline 4-stroke. That should be interesting. One last thing, can anyone tell me where to find a tinted canopy for this plane. Thanks, MM
Old 11-02-2007, 08:22 AM
HUNTERANDJEFF

Hey, Don. On the article that I read for that twin, It said that two clylinders ran with less vibration than a single. Coupled with the power it generates, WOW! I think they said it is about 499 bucks. It weighs 64 oz, and is 10" across the spark plugs. So, will it fit inside of that cowl without cutting it? It does indeed look very lightly built - typical for an ARF. All of the GP planes that I have purchased have required quite a bit of modification to make them stronger especially in the landing gear and firewalls but I continue to buy their products - why? - because even though they are one of the most expensive ARFs they fly and look great!
So, is swinging a 22 X 8 at 6800 rpms enough for hovering this plane at 1/2 throttle? That is what I want. I also want smoke, and maybe even a camera. If I'm going to load it up, I need the power.
With all of that stuff, I'll easily have 1200 dollars into one plane. That is good for about 100 gallons of nitro fuel. SO MUCH FOR THE FUEL SAVINGS!!!!!! LOL!!!!!
p.s. I'M NOT GOING TO TAKE UP CROSS STITCH [sm=52_52.gif]LOL!
Jeff
Old 11-02-2007, 09:15 AM
Don M.

ORIGINAL: MormonMike

For engine size, a lot would depend on the altitude for where ever you fly. At northern Utah, 4500 feet requires a little more power. And mine is weighing in at a full 16 pounds. I must admit, a twin gasser does have some appeal. Saito is also coming out with a gasoline 4-stroke. That should be interesting. One last thing, can anyone tell me where to find a tinted canopy for this plane. Thanks, MM

First of all how does yours fly at 16 lbs. ?

Second can't you dye your canopy or paint it inside ( I do this all the time I hate pilots ) How about the Sig Sukhoi, theirs is about the same size ?
Old 11-02-2007, 10:40 AM
MormonMike

Hello Don, my first test flight is scheduled for this Saturday morning. Engine run-up is for tonight after work. Sig canopy is close but I don't have one close by to compare. 16 pounds is not unreasonable and yes I know the lighter the better but this is how it works out with a Fox gasser plus smoke system. I'm also using crankcase pressure to a Perry pump for the smoke. TME is fine but that added to the weight of the extra battery...... well,... no. This plane will compete against my freinds GP Yak, who is also test flighting Saturday. Total cost so far for mine, $1800. [cheaper than the GP Ultimate I crashed last summer and that one still hurts ] I will still keep looking for a tinted canopy. Seeya around, MM
Old 11-02-2007, 01:11 PM
Don M.

16 lbs. is not bad with a Brison 3.2 and smoke system. That's about 32 ozs. per sq. ft.
Old 11-02-2007, 04:53 PM
soarrich
My Feedback: (98)

ORIGINAL: HUNTERANDJEFF

RC guys 48 cc twin gasser for this plane? It is featured in the December issue of FLY RC 2007. They claim it is smoother operation and less vibration than a single cylinder. It will spin a 22 X 8 prop at 6790 rpms.
I have a couple LS Pro 50 Twins, they are very similar to your motor. They are very smooth, one is in a 17 pound plane, it hovers it with a 22x8, but just. I love the motor, I'm putting the other one in a 80 inch Edge that I just picked up.
Old 11-04-2007, 05:09 PM
sevans16

cowl measurements sorry for the delay. Working crazy hours plus trying to sneak around the house LOL!! Note fuse/cowl is slightly taller that it is wide.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Hf98843.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	55.3 KB
ID:	796920   Click image for larger version

Name:	Yt63023.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	52.6 KB
ID:	796921  
Old 11-04-2007, 07:02 PM
MormonMike

You guys wont have any problems with this plane. You do need a little up throttle on landing but other than that , it's very easy to fly, builds great. MM
Old 11-04-2007, 08:15 PM
Don M.

ORIGINAL: MormonMike

You guys wont have any problems with this plane. You do need a little up throttle on landing but other than that , it's very easy to fly, builds great. MM

So it flys well @ 16 lbs. Good to hear. The "up" throttle is standard with most larger planes, I would rather have that than a floater.

P.S. Sevens16 .................... Thanks for the measurements.
Old 11-05-2007, 12:01 PM
HUNTERANDJEFF

After the plane is finished, how much clearance is there between the spinner and the ground. I mean, how large of a prop can you safely use? The reason I'm asking is because I noticed that the cowl is only 9" wide and that blows away the twin that I wanted to put on it. I don't want to cut the cowl for the engine on this plane. So, I'm going to have to select a new engine for this plane. Oh, well, I am going to save a couple of hundred bucks by selecting a new motor any way and I have all winter to complete it. What gasser do you guys recomend? I want to be able to hover at 1/2 throttle. I would like to go to gas, but if I have to go to glow that would be ok too.
Thanks for the pic, sevens16.
So, Don, how many flights do you have on your ship now? Did you just maiden it on Saturday? How do you like the power that you have with the engine you are running? If I am going to have this plane, I am going to do it right (lots of power to weight) not just rush into it like I ignorantly do to alot of my other planes in the past..............LOL
Thanks for the info guys.
Jeff
Old 11-05-2007, 04:59 PM
Don M.

I do not have one, I'm just in the planning / info stage. Mormon Mike seems to be the only one who actually has one on the wing. He's running a 3.2 so he must have at least clearance for a 20"- 22"prop.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.