Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Crash & Rebuild
Reload this Page >

fix(almost) anyting

Community
Search
Notices
Crash & Rebuild Post your crash stories, pictures and if you want to document your rebuild you can do that here too!

fix(almost) anyting

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2007, 10:24 PM
panzertank

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default fix(almost) anyting

Anyone who has broken pusrods, cracks in wood, or needs to add a super durable covering to anyting need look here. i have discovered by accident a super stong adhesive/binder. want to know what? combine the to simplest things a rc enthusiast has in his work shop................................CA glue( preferable thin)...............and paper towels.
I am hoping this is a new discover but if it isn't let me know. if you ( for example) keep bending a pushrod to get it to fit it will break. the only way to reapir it before this was to get another one. If you take a scrap piece of a pushrod, double it up on the other one, put a drop of CA on each end, stick a paper towel on it and wrap it up and then add more CA you will have an ultra stong bond,...INSTANTLY!!!!. just make sure the towel is wrapped tightly. one the glue has dried it will be stonger than the push rod metal itself. And this technique can be used on anything( except foam) to repair damage( i used it to fix a broken tube in my fuel tankand fix a crak in the lexan body on my t-maxx) anyone who wants picts or video jsut ask. any questions will be answered thoughly
Old 11-17-2007, 10:30 PM
Sessholvlaru

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: fix(almost) anyting

A good idea. I have noticed the same thing from trying to wipe CA with paper towels. It simply acts like super light fiberglass cloth. I have used tissues sometimes, as they have a better consistency.
Old 11-17-2007, 10:39 PM
Mr67Stang

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks for sharing. Some of the most usefull things in the world were discovered by accedent. I might be a little leary flying a plane with a pushrod repaired in this manner though and would caution anyone who did.
Old 11-18-2007, 01:40 AM
mboland

Another great combination with Thin CA is BiCarb Soda. Great filler for small areas, strengthener behind things, anywhere you need a very strong fill.
Don't overfill too much cause this stuff is harder than concrete to sand.
Old 11-18-2007, 01:46 AM
JPANN

Super glue with masking tape works good too.
Old 11-19-2007, 01:57 PM
Firebird25

While this looks like a good idea [and it probably is] , my feeling is that when applied to an area where there's lots of stress, this may not hold up. I would suggest to use thin woven material as replacement for the paper towel.
Old 11-19-2007, 03:25 PM
chevypower1930

this is a very good idea! it works GREAT! I had a crack in the carbon fuselage of my parkzone Slo-V and it would twist easily ... I used this method and it DID NOT BUDGE! thanks for sharing man!
Old 11-19-2007, 05:32 PM
randomhero86
Banned

while it may be good for a slo-v i wouldnt trust it with any of my bigger birds. i used to cover little tick models this way when i was a kid.
awfully fun but no fun to pull your fingers apart :{
Old 11-19-2007, 06:13 PM
cutaway

silk works well as a very light reinforcement.
Old 11-19-2007, 06:41 PM
chevypower1930

oh yea guys I would deffianatly not use this on my gassers haha.... such as a servo pushrod or anytnig like that... becaue imagine if the paper towel gives way on an elevator push rod? then your screwed and you have an uncontrollable plane coming torwards the ground! but ya a great method for things such as the Slo-V